Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE EMPTY HEAD  (Read 25463 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:THE EMPTY HEAD
« Reply #120 on: February 02, 2004, 08:57:53 PM »

I am still waiting for my copy of "Wicked" from the library.  I actually requested a large print copy, thinking that since there were fewer requests, it would take less time.  That theory doesn't take into account when people keep items past the due date.  Grrr.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #121 on: February 02, 2004, 09:15:08 PM »

But the good news is that my order from Footlight.com has arrived!!  I bought some CDs that were total impulse buys:

Honk! the Music Theatre of Witchita's First American cast recording (I love the London recording!)
Boy Meets Boy (with an instrumental track not on the album)
No For an Answer by Marc Blitzstein with Carol Channing
Rap Master Ronnie by Elizabeth Swados and Garry Trudeau
Reginald de Kovin's Robin Hood (I've had a discarded library copy of the vocal score for years and finally I'll get to hear it)

AND the region 2 DVD of the live production of CHESS with Tommy Körberg

I love it when I get my income tax refund!  
« Last Edit: February 02, 2004, 09:16:08 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #122 on: February 02, 2004, 09:16:06 PM »

Good evening!

-Just because it's an All-You-Can-Eat soup and salad bar, doesn't mean you should eat "all-you-can-eat"... plus the 1/2 price burger... plus dessert - an ice cream sandwich made with chocolate chip pound cake and vanilla ice cream... topped with hot fudge and whipped cream... :-X

I forgot, what was the name of the diet you were on...The Willy Wonka something or other?
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Tomovoz

« Reply #123 on: February 02, 2004, 09:30:01 PM »

DR Kerry you have mail.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #124 on: February 02, 2004, 10:14:25 PM »

I am just listening to one of those Capitol records Cd compilations with such wonderful stars as Helen Forest, Keely Smith, Peggy Lee and Dakota Staton.. Nearly all the tracks were recorded in the 50's and they are so good. It sort of leads on from the wonderful 40's sounds of today's topic. It is also another post!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #125 on: February 02, 2004, 10:15:49 PM »

Has Laura II found out that people do indeed sleep at this time of the day? I think she has been missing for a few days.
James Thurber 1957

Jed

« Reply #126 on: February 02, 2004, 10:34:43 PM »

Happy birthday to Ben! (Hey, it's still the 2nd where I am!)

Wonderful to see Lulu around again.

Jennifer - re: Super Bowl commercials... I can't really recommend any, as I found this year's batch to be the most disappointing set I can recall.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #127 on: February 02, 2004, 10:36:12 PM »

I've just has a long stretch without power -- which is MY excuse for not posting. What's yours? (Why do I suddenly feel like Baby June?) Not having power was not too bad. For some reason one of the phones worked and I have lots of flashlights and candles. The wonderdog and I cuddled up and all was cozy. I AM glad the power's back, though, because everything in the freezer would've defrosted - including my precious frozen roast chestnuts; and it was starting to get just a tad cold for comfort.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: February 02, 2004, 10:38:59 PM »

Yes, Laura II has forsaken the likes of us.  Kids today, I tell you.  

Watched Lost in Tarnation, about which more tomorrow.

Panni

« Reply #129 on: February 02, 2004, 10:40:19 PM »

I now have to reset the time on everything - which is so boring.

Panni

« Reply #130 on: February 02, 2004, 10:43:36 PM »

...Especially the fax machine. I have an old one in which all the I.D. data has to be input all over again each time the power goes out.

Tomovoz

« Reply #131 on: February 02, 2004, 10:46:32 PM »

The good thing about losing power here in this semi rural environment is that as it happens quite often, I don't usually forget how to reset the clocks. Setting the sundial to daylight savings is far more of a problem. I was going to mention the egg timer but thought that would be going just a little too far. (We do have a sundial in the garden).
James Thurber 1957

DERBRUCER

« Reply #132 on: February 02, 2004, 11:08:27 PM »

(We do have a sundial in the garden).

Right under the the Kookaburra's Gum Tree, no doubt.

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree,
Merry, merry king of the bush is he,
Laugh, Kookaburra, Laugh, Kookaburra,
Gay your life must be.

Panni

« Reply #133 on: February 02, 2004, 11:09:40 PM »

I have a big meeting in the morning. I should get to sleep so that my brain is working tomorrow. I'm not going to reset anything right now except the radio-clock by the bed. Good night, all.

Tomovoz

« Reply #134 on: February 02, 2004, 11:13:34 PM »

Indeed my life is just that.

We are happy little vegemites
As bright as bright can be
We all adore our vegemite
For breakfast lunch and tea
We all adore our vegemite
It puts a rose in every cheek.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #135 on: February 02, 2004, 11:14:47 PM »

Another night without reaching an all time low!
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #136 on: February 02, 2004, 11:19:12 PM »

I lived in an apartment for about 4-1/2 years and never lost power, even during one of the worst frozen ice storms that I'd ever lived through...the apartment was on the same power grid as a hospital and a retirement complex.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2004, 11:19:37 PM by George »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #137 on: February 02, 2004, 11:19:48 PM »

Now there, Tom, let's not leave out lines:

Our mother says we're growing
stronger every single week.
Because we love our Vegemite.
We all adore our Vegemite.
It puts a rose in every cheek!

der Brucer (I guess better a rose in every cheek than a daffodil between the cheeks)

From my collection of vital web sites: Aussie Kid's Songs

« Last Edit: February 02, 2004, 11:22:51 PM by DERBRUCER »

Tomovoz

« Reply #138 on: February 02, 2004, 11:21:27 PM »

I live in a retirement complex now and we still lose power. Of course there are only two human residents and the building is not that complex.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #139 on: February 02, 2004, 11:26:10 PM »

I don't remember ever hearing or seeing the lines about "our mother". Perhaps it is the Sydney variation. (Then again at 58 I am having memory problems). Perhaps the lines were never sung clearly enough for me to understand.
This site is always so informative.
No Kookaburras in view but I can see two cockatoos from my window - they want to be fed!
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #140 on: February 02, 2004, 11:29:58 PM »

Feeding finished. Sulpher crested cockatoos. We had five yellow tailed black cockatoos in the garden ealier. They do not feed from the seed bowls but "prune" the trees. Quite a parrot family day - we have also has the usual rosellas, king parrots and galahs here as well.
No wonder I hate to see caged birds.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #141 on: February 02, 2004, 11:37:57 PM »

DERBRUCER: There was interesting book brought out in the early 1970's - "Cinderella Dressed in Yella" - it was about songs and rhymes used by Australian children - the variation between regions and over time was fascinating.  
James Thurber 1957

DERBRUCER

« Reply #142 on: February 02, 2004, 11:44:43 PM »

Honk! the Music Theatre of Witchita's First American cast recording (I love the London recording!)
Boy Meets Boy (with an instrumental track not on the album)
Rap Master Ronnie by Elizabeth Swados and Garry Trudeau
Reginald de Kovin's Robin Hood (I've had a discarded library copy of the vocal score for years and finally I'll get to hear it)

Small World. The International City Theatre in Long Beach CA did Honk when I was on their Board of Directors.

At the same time Boy Meets Boy was playing to packed houses, Swados had a presentation of her Nightclub Cantata at the Top of the Gate.

Has any one evry seen this:

Alice at the Palace 1981 VHS [NTSC]
By Elizabeth Swados

With: Meryl Streep  Betty Aberlin  Debbie Allen  Michael Jeter  Mark Linn-Baker  Stuart Baker-Bergen, Richard Cox, Sheila Dabney, Rodney Hudson, Charles Lanyer, Kathryn Morath Deborah Rush

"Amusingly eclectic and cute." -The Villager

This "music hall" version of Lewis Carroll’s Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass was adapted for television from Elizabeth Swados’ Joseph Papp/New York Shakespeare Festival production entitled Alice in Concert for which Swados also composed the score, adapted the book and directed for the stage. Starring Meryl Streep and featuring Debbie Allen and Betty Aberlin, "Alice At The Palace" is an entertaining and shrewdly conceived retelling of the Carroll classics with all of the beloved characters --from the Mad Hatter and the Cheshire Cat to the Queen of Hearts-- given a unique twist by the witty and charming performances of an accomplished theatrical ensemble. "Alice At The Palace" was originally broadcast as part of NBC-TV’s "Project Peacock" series in 1982.

Directed by Emile Ardolino  

der Brucer (reliving his youth...again)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #143 on: February 02, 2004, 11:49:10 PM »

Feeding finished. Sulpher crested cockatoos. We had five yellow tailed black cockatoos in the garden ealier. They do not feed from the seed bowls but "prune" the trees. Quite a parrot family day - we have also has the usual rosellas, king parrots and galahs here as well.
No wonder I hate to see caged birds.

We have got to get you a digital camera! You could wake us each morning with glorious pictures of cock(atoos).

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up