Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23   Go Down

Author Topic: THE NON SEQUITUR  (Read 71362 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE NON SEQUITUR
« Reply #630 on: February 19, 2008, 09:18:42 PM »

I watched a strange TV movie someone gave me at the Hollywood Collector's Show.  I tried watching the second TV movie on the same DVD but it was as unfunny and awful as I remembered - a spoof of the then detective shows, called Murder Will Harm You.  You know what you're in for with just the character names - Nojack, Ironbottom, Lambretta - really pathetic.  

The first TV movie wasn't very good (from 1976) and I'll talk about it in the notes.

Cillaliz

« Reply #631 on: February 19, 2008, 09:19:19 PM »

What a great evening. I love being righteously indignant.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #632 on: February 19, 2008, 09:19:25 PM »

So it is written, so it shall be done - page twenty-two.  We haven't had one of THESE days in quite some time - perhaps it bodes well for Sunday's Oscarcast.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #633 on: February 19, 2008, 09:19:29 PM »

I did take a book down with me, when I went to sit with her.

Books are neat to roll against.  Did you know that?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #634 on: February 19, 2008, 09:20:18 PM »

Welcome ten GUESTS.  Any director/producer/co-writers amongst you?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #635 on: February 19, 2008, 09:20:39 PM »

Will we never get to page twenty-three?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #636 on: February 19, 2008, 09:20:58 PM »

Had a very nice telephonic conversation with Mr. and Mrs. Pogue this evening.

Cillaliz

« Reply #637 on: February 19, 2008, 09:21:03 PM »

Woody, your story reminds me of the days when I'd go sit in "Boo's room" she would purr and purr and want to rub up against me and play.   Hey, you should get JJ a cat dancer.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #638 on: February 19, 2008, 09:21:11 PM »

I will say again - WEHT Jeanne?

Cillaliz

« Reply #639 on: February 19, 2008, 09:22:13 PM »

Have you sent her an email or private message?

Cillaliz

« Reply #640 on: February 19, 2008, 09:22:34 PM »

I really must go to sleep....night all

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #641 on: February 19, 2008, 09:23:53 PM »

Miss Jeanne is fine - she's been busy showing her house.  I said I'd show her a knuckle sandwich if she didn't get her butt cheeks back where they belong.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #642 on: February 19, 2008, 09:24:28 PM »

Make that twelve GUESTS.  Maybe Mrs. Co-Producer showed up.

FJL

« Reply #643 on: February 19, 2008, 09:25:57 PM »

BK - Got your email.  Thanks.  I would love to have the tracking number for the FedEx.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #644 on: February 19, 2008, 09:26:06 PM »

I had cheesy potatoes for dinner.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #645 on: February 19, 2008, 09:26:49 PM »

BK - Got your email.  Thanks.  I would love to have the tracking number for the FedEx.

Then I shall e-mail you said tracking number.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #646 on: February 19, 2008, 09:27:48 PM »

Harkening back to today's notes ...

I'm not sure what is worse about Julie Taymor take on the music of the Beatles -

That she had to rely on the conventions of character names like Jude and Lucy - weren't those names used in a film starring Peter Frampton and the BeeGees? -

Or that she had to use the film as her take on the late 1960s.

I guess none of their songs have any relevance to our lives nearly half a century later.  

But if that's the case... why make the movie?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #647 on: February 19, 2008, 09:31:50 PM »

NON SEQUITUR = UNIQUE SNORT.

td

• td
« Reply #648 on: February 19, 2008, 10:04:21 PM »

I may be coming late to the party, but, I just watched the dvd of SYRIANA for the first time.
Somber.  Thought-provoking. George Clooney certainly did deserve that Oscar.  Chris Cooper, as always, was perfect.  I hadn't seen Matt Damon acting this well since THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY.  Tomorrow, I must buy the book - at Borders, of course - on which this film was based.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

MBarnum

« Reply #649 on: February 19, 2008, 10:11:24 PM »

TD, is JODHAA AKBAR playing at a theater near you? I think I shall go to see it this weekend...looks like a film that MUST be seen on a big screen! Looks like a good old fashioned historical epic!!

Here is the trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ca2km2IwLY

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #650 on: February 19, 2008, 10:18:10 PM »

As for tonight's "American Idol"... Hmmm...

And as for Josiah not being in the Top 24... Well, I felt he blew his chances during Hollywood week, and with all his post-"Idol" publicity and appearances, well... I don't think he would have lasted that long anyway.  And that faux-English just doesn't seem to go away, even when he's speaking.
Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #651 on: February 19, 2008, 10:19:20 PM »

DR Mbarnum, according to the imdb's "Showtimes" section, sadly, the film is only playing on the easterly coast of Pennsylvania, but, that is definitely a film I need to see!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #652 on: February 19, 2008, 10:39:34 PM »

And as for tomorrow night's broadcast of the John Doyle Company...

I won't be able to watch it due to an overload of overlapping on the DVR, however, I did see it live during it's final weekend - in fact, during it's final weekend when the tapings were taking place.  I liked the production, and Raul Esparza's take on Bobby was truly engrossing and revelatory.

I don't see John Doyle's actors-as-orchestra as a gimmick.  It's just one of his styles.  When he originally resorted to that choice, it was primarily due to budget and space concerns. Is it an ideal "solution"?  Well... It's a valid one, imho.  Every director, famous and otherwise, has their trademarks, their bag of tricks.  Using the actors as the orchestra is just one of his.  *I have some friends who are currently in rehearsals for his upcoming Peter Grimes at The Met, and they're liking what's been going on in the rehearsal hall so far. And, rest assured, those gorgeous Sea Interludes will not be played by costumed choristers between scenes.

I also liked his Sweeney Todd, and I went into the theatre that night actually prepared not to like it - well, at least not surprised if I didn't end up liking it - since the sound of the original production is so ingrained in my head. But the concept and the staging worked for me.  I believe I even quietly said, "Wow!" out loud after the final blackout. In both Sweeney Todd and Company the instruments never got in the way for me since the actors were so well-trained and comfortable(!) with their instruments. The musical instrument they were playing became an extension of their body, their acting.

Yes, it's all horse-racing, but I also find it a bit dismaying that people are writing off all of John Doyle's work based on his Broadway revivals of Sweeney Todd and Company.  He had a career filled with shows with actual musicians in the orchestra pit long before he mounted Sweeney, and he has other assignments already lined up after his time at The Met this season.  -God knows, Hal Prince - who told me personally that he loved John Doyle's version of Sweeney ("It was the first version I had seen that didn't ape mine.") - has had his share of misunderstood and misfires.  -Although, being one of the relative few who saw the hoped-for pre-Broadway tryout of Whistle Down The Wind years ago in DC... The burning house was not the only hot mess on that stage. ;)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 10:41:25 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #653 on: February 19, 2008, 10:42:34 PM »

Oy, that was a bit soap-boxy of me.  And now it's time for me to get some sleep.

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #654 on: February 19, 2008, 11:13:15 PM »

LOL......this is NOTHING.....wait till Oscar Night!  8)

Since I'm now in Side Show, I have a rehearsal that night.  :'(
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #655 on: February 19, 2008, 11:31:38 PM »

Congrats to DR George. I love SIDESHOW.

Thanks!  It's been fun, so far.  We're just singing through the whole score and working just a few things...most of the people can actually read music!  And the girls who play the sisters are fabulous!  They can sing, and they even look somewhat alike!  When Capital Playhouse did this before, the two girls were very different...one was taller by a couple of very obvious inches.  

Now, if I can just get better. ::)

;)

« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 11:37:31 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #656 on: February 19, 2008, 11:34:45 PM »

I have very little interest in a movie version of the Lloyd Webber SUNSET BLVD. but I think Barbra Streisand is HIDEOUS casting. Just because she sang two of Norma's arias on her BACK TO BROADWAY CD doesn't not make her great casting for the movie.

However, if they cast John Barrowman as Joe, I might consider seeing it.

Or Hugh Jackman

What about Hugh Jackman as Norma and John Barrowman as Joe?? :D

George

« Reply #657 on: February 19, 2008, 11:38:07 PM »

Peter Marshall to Charley Weaver:  Charley, you have decided to raise strawberries.  Are you going to get any during the first year?

Charley Weaver:  No.  I'm too busy raising strawberries.

Peter Marshall: Paul, on his birthday, the nuns give the Pope something special, something that we all want on our birthday. What do they give him?

Paul Lynde: (beat) Johnny Olsen, tell the Pope what he gets!

George

« Reply #658 on: February 19, 2008, 11:45:29 PM »

I'm sure this has been posted here before, but it's funny:

Peter Marshall: In the Middle Ages, Paul, people in convents were not allowed to eat beans because they believed something about them we now know isn't true. What?
Paul Lynde: Well, I know they took a vow of silence…

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #659 on: February 19, 2008, 11:50:47 PM »

i will do my best to be here promptly for the festivities but I have to do work things first.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23   Go Up