Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: ADDITIONAL INFORMATION  (Read 47774 times)

Tomovoz

Re:ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
« Reply #180 on: February 03, 2004, 07:15:05 PM »

Whence comes your triplets DVD BK? The French version (both 2DVD and single) are only in French.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #181 on: February 03, 2004, 07:19:44 PM »

It comes whence from the UK, where it is called Bellevue-Rendezvous.  Subtitled in English.  

I think we've got us a quorum at the forum.

I don't know why there would be time codes on Fair Lady, unless they're demonstrating something from the restoration, and then there would be because they dumped it into the computer to work on it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #182 on: February 03, 2004, 07:27:17 PM »

Even though I won't formally announce it until tomorrow's notes, the Alet Oury interview is up - so if you're around and want to take a gander and post about it that would be swell.  It's one of my favorites of all that we've done.

Tomovoz

« Reply #183 on: February 03, 2004, 07:28:10 PM »

Thanks BK. It will probably be thus titled here in OZ.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

td

• td
« Reply #184 on: February 03, 2004, 07:32:21 PM »

Speaking of MY FAIR LADY, this is one for all of the techno geeks out there:
The transfer on the new 2 dvd set is the same print as the previous release, however,  the Mbps are much higher.  For instance, and I only compared the first two chapters, on the new disc, the Overture and Credits Chapter is transferred at a bit rate between 8.5 mbps and 10.0 mbps, whereas with the first release, that same chapter's transfer rate rarely gets up to 8 mbps, starting at a very low 5.5 mbps.
Like wise the Convent Garden scenes on the previous disc rarely rate a 7.5 mbps transfer rate, the new disc's rate begins with that 7.5 mbps.
This is what I get for having a "display" button on my dvd player's remote control, which tells me exactly what the transfer rate is. . .NOW, if someone could logically explain this whole Mega-Byte Per Second thing to me. . . .
I should think that a higher transfer rate would logically show a finer, more detailed picture.  Am I on the right track here?
(Or should I go to Ascot, moving my bloomin' arse)?
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #185 on: February 03, 2004, 07:44:04 PM »

The transfer rate is higher because the extras are on the second DVD.  Plus, everyone is doing higher bit rates these days.  It does result in a SLIGHTLY better image, but I compared both discs and I just don't see much difference at all.

td

• td
« Reply #186 on: February 03, 2004, 07:47:19 PM »

The transfer rate is higher because the extras are on the second DVD.  Plus, everyone is doing higher bit rates these days.  It does result in a SLIGHTLY better image, but I compared both discs and I just don't see much difference at all.

I didn't see much difference either. . .and as for the nincompoops on the other less-popular sites than HHW, well, YOU (bk) know precisely how I feel about THEM!

I love THEM!  It's a great movie, right up there with THE BEGINNING OF THE END!

td

• td
« Reply #187 on: February 03, 2004, 07:49:23 PM »

Oh, and I only picked up MFL becuase it was sooooo cheap at WalMart, where I was buying plate hangers.

At Barnes & Noble, however, I picked up THE GREAT ZIEGFELD and GASLIGHT (w/ 1940's ANGEL STREET, which bears the Americanized GASLIGHT title).

Tomovoz

« Reply #188 on: February 03, 2004, 08:00:19 PM »

Good to know td that you have not lost your ability to "pick up" in the real world too. I assume you took along those delightful photos from the 70's - or perhaps you still look like that. But how old is the great Ziegfeld and doesn't he play for the other team? Perhaps he looked younger under Gaslight.
James Thurber 1957

td

• td
« Reply #189 on: February 03, 2004, 08:01:47 PM »

I think that BK should sue for plagiarism:

one of the unpopYOUlar dvd site's least-liked critics wrote (in his review of the new edition of PLANET OF THE APES):

Of the whole cast, special mention must go to the exceedingly lovely Linda Harrison as Nova. She ain't much of an actress, but wow - what a babe! Call me sexist if you'd like, but the absolute worst part about Apes stems from the fact we endure no fewer than two shots of Heston's bare butt but she shows no skin. Damn them - damn them all to hell!

Well, he can just go to Hartford, Hereford and Hampshire!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #190 on: February 03, 2004, 08:01:59 PM »

One of the producers I was meeting with today was going on and on about THE TRIPLETS OF BELLEVILLE. Said it was great.

I'm SO tired. That's it for today. Work's over.

Tomovoz

« Reply #191 on: February 03, 2004, 08:02:29 PM »

Bk you have been leading me astray. BellVILLE led me to more positive results! Thanks again. I ordered.
James Thurber 1957

td

• td
« Reply #192 on: February 03, 2004, 08:03:50 PM »

Good to know td that you have not lost your ability to "pick up" in the real world too. I assume you took along those delightful photos from the 70's - or perhaps you still look like that. But how old is the great Ziegfeld and doesn't he play for the other team? Perhaps he looked younger under Gaslight.

Ah, don't we all look younger under Gaslight? ? ?
When those photos were taken, the man had this strange black boxlike object stationed atop a spindly thing - it had three-legs -  and when he took the picture, there was this FLASH ! BANG! and WALLOP! that I hadn't felt for years. . .

td

• td
« Reply #193 on: February 03, 2004, 08:05:13 PM »

Bk you have been leading me astray. BellVILLE led me to more positive results! Thanks again. I ordered.

Oh? As if it's difficult to led YOU astray?!?!?!?

;D

Tomovoz

« Reply #194 on: February 03, 2004, 08:06:05 PM »

Was the photographer Tommy Steele?
James Thurber 1957

td

• td
« Reply #195 on: February 03, 2004, 08:07:53 PM »

Was the photographer Tommy Steele?

DAMN! You're good!

Tomovoz

« Reply #196 on: February 03, 2004, 08:10:06 PM »

We Tommys have been around. Since half a sixpence was worth half a sixpence in fact.
James Thurber 1957

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #197 on: February 03, 2004, 08:10:34 PM »

Okay, this question goes out to all the techie-type people we have on this site.  Although for the record this does not have to do with the site, and so I'm not gonna put on the technical board :)  
So I finally got around to importing the tracks from my recital CD onto my computer, and I KNOW there's a way to make little clips of them, so I can send just a bit of a song to someone who wants to hear it, but I just don't know how...so any advice? help? wise words?  

Tomovoz

« Reply #198 on: February 03, 2004, 08:11:14 PM »

Oh? As if it's difficult to led YOU astray?!?!?!?

;D
Leading me back to the righteous path is the challenge.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2004, 08:11:54 PM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #199 on: February 03, 2004, 08:11:31 PM »

Thank you, DR Jane. Yes, I was always self-conscious about being skinny when I was younger, so I don't mind weighing almost 50 pounds more than in those pictures, but I want the weight equally (or proportionally) distributed, and that's what I have to exercise, exercise, exercise to try to achieve. It's been a lifelong struggle.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

td

• td
« Reply #200 on: February 03, 2004, 08:13:00 PM »

Leading me back to the righteous path is the challenge.

Yeah, but who would really want to go that route?  I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #201 on: February 03, 2004, 08:13:11 PM »

When I auditioned for the Western Washington music department, one of my two songs was Benjamin Britten's "The Ash Grove."  The other song was Tom Waits' "A Foreign Affair" based on The Manhattan Transfer's a cappella version...and I also sang it a cappella (as a solo, of course).  I was complimented on the unusual choice for an audition piece and got into the music department.  Heidi Grant Murphy (then Heidi Lynn Grant) who sang the role of Johanna in the first concert of Sweeney Todd with Patti LuPone and George Hearn was at Western at that time and we had a couple of classes together!  She probably doesn't even remember me.  That was about 17 years ago.

Miss Murphy will be appearing in two concerts (Mendelssohn's A Midsummer Night's Dream and Mahler's 2nd Symphony) at the Hollywood Bowl this summer.  I'm hoping to catch both.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

« Reply #202 on: February 03, 2004, 08:14:53 PM »

Jay-

I have to say that Ben Kingsley's character in HOUSE OF SAND AND FOG has more to do with GREEK TRAGEDY than with SHAKESPERIAN TRAGEDY. The idea of nobility vs.Outside forces leads me to believe this to be true.

As you wish.  At least people won't mistake House of Sand and Fog for Dude, Where's My Car?

Jay

« Reply #203 on: February 03, 2004, 08:16:08 PM »

We must be on our dinner lull.  Dessert is here, however, for the rest of the evening.

Based on several raves here I have a copy of The Triplets of Belleville on its way (a region 2 DVD) - should have it by Friday.

You are in for one spectacular treat, Dear BK.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #204 on: February 03, 2004, 08:19:06 PM »

We heard some very good voices tonight on AMERICAN IDOL. Tomorrow night's elimination competition should be very, very good. I think all of the people I was rooting for have stayed in thus far.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Tomovoz

« Reply #205 on: February 03, 2004, 08:19:21 PM »

Ann: solution - give a copy of the Cd to JED and let him do the work.
James Thurber 1957

Jay

« Reply #206 on: February 03, 2004, 08:20:25 PM »

Whence comes your triplets DVD BK? The French version (both 2DVD and single) are only in French.

Yeah.  Both lines of dialogue.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #207 on: February 03, 2004, 08:23:40 PM »

Very very moving interview with Alet Oury. Read it, everybody!

Andrea

« Reply #208 on: February 03, 2004, 08:25:24 PM »

And at least I do have pictures from the 70s, unlike Ann, Laura II, Maya, Sarah, Emily, Andrea, et al.

I'm sure we have pictures of the twinkle in my father's eye.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #209 on: February 03, 2004, 08:26:51 PM »

LOOK at this:

"Waitressing? As a career? Oh, my heavens, no, I'm an ACTRESS, you see, and although your head might be spinning watching me fill ketchup bottles, mix margaritas, and bang on the register/computer all at the same time, you must know that in MY head I'm playing the game "character asassination" and you have just been killed because - with a menu in your hand - you have asked me if we serve food."

I think I've found my non-marital soulmate.

There IS hope!!!

Go and read that interview, everybody...it's wonderful!

And I would post pictures of myself from the 70's, but I seem to have lost them. Let me go and photocopy some from my Sex Ed pamphlet, and I'll get back to you.
...Walk in the sunshine...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up