Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: BAFFLED  (Read 33305 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:BAFFLED
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2008, 07:46:12 AM »

I have a couple of TV based sets left in the review stack, and I'm expecting MAFIOSO from Criterion in the mail today, but as they are all to be released on March 19th, I plan to have a day of fun viewing for myself without taking notes, watching all bonus features, etc.

I'll be watching my first (atypical) Bollywood movie sent to me by the lovely DR MBarnum this afternoon. It's a family drama, or at least appears to be from the liner notes. I'll have more to say after I watch it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2008, 07:49:39 AM »

Page Three Tin Man, Scarecrow, Dorothy, and Lion Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2008, 07:51:37 AM »

I also have last night's OLD CHRISTINE to watch today.

Tonight, I'll probably select either an HD-DVD or Blu-ray to watch, again completely for fun.

I plan to record IDOL and then begin speeding through it at 9 to eliminate commercials and all the judges' haranguing

singdaw

« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2008, 07:56:32 AM »

Have been reading a little bit about tesseracts and the fourth dimension.

Groovy, man!  :)

MBarnum

« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2008, 08:02:23 AM »

I'll be watching my first (atypical) Bollywood movie sent to me by the lovely DR MBarnum this afternoon. It's a family drama, or at least appears to be from the liner notes. I'll have more to say after I watch it.

DR MattH, I am strangly excited about what your reaction to the film will be! I think you will like it, but I look forward to a full review from you....the good, the bad, and the ugly.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2008, 08:03:54 AM »

Curious...

I don't think either HBO or SHO would do it.
PBS sure wouldn't do it.

Busy family friendly DISNEY did it on ABC:

"...dirty Niggers..."

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

MBarnum

« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2008, 08:07:11 AM »

A couple of things to keep in mind when watching the movie, DR MattH...people in Bollywood films never (or very rarely) kiss in films...and when someone calls someone brother, sister, uncle, etc, it doesn't necessarily mean they are related...just that they like that person and now think of them as a relation, it is a sign of affection, friendship, and/or respect.

That was Bollywood 101. Now you are ready!

MBarnum

« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2008, 08:11:05 AM »

BK, though you had the perfect Yonni and Zubrick previously, it will be interesting to see what new things different actors will bring to those roles.

From talking to DR Cason when I was in Los Angeles, he is quite busy right now so it is certainly understandable that he would not be able to commit to this show at this time.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2008, 08:15:11 AM »

Love the illustrations:

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2008, 08:18:28 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I think it's going to rain today.  (Ah, a "Beaches" reference... ;))
Make Your Own Luck.

singdaw

« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2008, 08:18:48 AM »

...people in Bollywood films never (or very rarely) kiss in films...

I find it a very curious dichotomy.  In the clips you've posted over the months, actors in Bollywood films seem to dance, move, and act very suggestively.  But then you read your comment above, or the news flap about Richard Gere, and you have to wonder...

So pretty much anything goes in Bollywood, as long as there is no actual touching?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2008, 08:19:18 AM »

bk - Awww... It's always nice to be missed. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

singdaw

« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2008, 08:19:57 AM »

Soon It's Gonna Rain.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2008, 08:21:32 AM »

DR George - Yes, it was/is the same Ryan Raftery, although I'm not sure his "true comedic talent" was truly on display when he was standing on top of his bar stool singing along to and re-enacting "Defying Gravity" and "Don't Rain On My Parade".  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2008, 08:22:40 AM »

Good morning!

I'm here at the same time as MISS KAREN--finally! Hooray!

Hello, Sis!

Now I shall attempt to catch up on the posts.

Kerry

« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2008, 08:25:17 AM »

I don't understand traffic here or anywhere-- but especially Los Angeles.
I like boat races.

Jennifer

« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2008, 08:25:19 AM »

For me on tv tonight I have IDOL (which i will record), BIG BROTHER and ONE TREE HILL. All on at 9pm. :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2008, 08:29:17 AM »

DR JoseSPiano:

I was viewing this site, where a music director pimps his service for piano tracks and sheet music transposition.

I was just wondering - do people actually come into auditions, plunk down a machine, and sing to pre-recorded tracks?  Isn't that frowned upon?

There are a couple of people who offer that service.  In fact, I sort of do myself, however, the tracks are truly meant for rehearsal purposes and not audition or performance purposes.

Singing with pre-recorded tracks is generally frowned upon, and, in the case of "standard" Equity auditions, it is actually not permitted.  Although, for some situations it's allowed and part of their process - just make sure to have your CD cued up!!!!!!

Strangely enough, I've noticed that a lot of college programs actually prefer(?) that students audition for the program with a pre-recorded track.  In other words, they don't provide an accompanist for their prospective students.  -I've noticed that set-up at the auditions for Tisch that have been taking place over the past couple of weeks here in town.  I know that that scenario is most likely a result of logistic and budgetary constraints, but, frankly, imho, I think it's a horrible way to start off your college journey.  -Especially since you would most definitely not be singing with a tape during the course of your studies.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2008, 08:30:08 AM »

A couple of things to keep in mind when watching the movie, DR MattH...people in Bollywood films never (or very rarely) kiss in films...and when someone calls someone brother, sister, uncle, etc, it doesn't necessarily mean they are related...just that they like that person and now think of them as a relation, it is a sign of affection, friendship, and/or respect.

That was Bollywood 101. Now you are ready!

Thanks for the handy hints. Should be a fun afternoon investigating something totally new. I'm looking forward to it and am glad a window of opportunity opened for me now. Looking at upcoming release schedules in March, I'm going to be inundated with TV box sets very soon.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #79 on: February 26, 2008, 08:30:16 AM »

Madeleine L'Engle?
Make Your Own Luck.

Miss Karen

« Reply #80 on: February 26, 2008, 08:31:39 AM »

Not much on the planet plate this week:

As communication planet Mercury in friendship-based Aquarius comes together with lovely Venus in Aquarius, you seek out people who share your values. This will provide a fabulous climate for interesting, thought-provoking conversations. This is a perfect day to attend a lecture, throw a party or join a matchmaking service. It's not everyday that the planet of love matches up with the cerebral planet!

DR JRand ~ You're a planetary wizard -- I had an exciting and interesting and creativity-provoking and thought-provoking meeting yesterday with Ellen Bailey who agreed to be my assistant director for my thesis presentaion of O'Neill's one-act Thirst. She is now retired here in Prescott, but has many years of experience from her association with the Pasadena Playhouse. We were so on the same page for many of the things I have envisioned for this one-act, so I'm really fired up and feel my last year of study and research and practicum work were on the money, which is most rewarding. When I told her I planned to do it theatre-in-the-round, and was talking about the book I had read about that by Margo Jones, Ellen knew Margo and the man Jones worked with -- it was just so cool -- I had that sense of experiencing theatrical history, experience and knowledge during my meeting with Ellen. I'm so excited to get to work with her and feel this fits in so well with what my whole goal and purpose was with this thesis Master journey. She's like 80, but you wouldn't know it cause she's so spunky and sharp as a tack. She is going to be such an asset! Thirst is such a challenge, but with her to help me, I think I can pull it off... now if I can just cast the right folks .... fingers crossed!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #81 on: February 26, 2008, 08:32:09 AM »

Hi, Ben!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #82 on: February 26, 2008, 08:32:19 AM »

There are a couple of people who offer that service.  In fact, I sort of do myself, however, the tracks are truly meant for rehearsal purposes and not audition or performance purposes.

Singing with pre-recorded tracks is generally frowned upon, and, in the case of "standard" Equity auditions, it is actually not permitted.  Although, for some situations it's allowed and part of their process - just make sure to have your CD cued up!!!!!!

Strangely enough, I've noticed that a lot of college programs actually prefer(?) that students audition for the program with a pre-recorded track.  In other words, they don't provide an accompanist for their prospective students.  -I've noticed that set-up at the auditions for Tisch that have been taking place over the past couple of weeks here in town.  I know that that scenario is most likely a result of logistic and budgetary constraints, but, frankly, imho, I think it's a horrible way to start off your college journey.  -Especially since you would most definitely not be singing with a tape during the course of your studies.

My gosh, that's interesting! I have never been to an audition where prerecorded music was allowed. If the person didn't bring prepared sheet music, they were asked to sing a capella.

Matt H.

« Reply #83 on: February 26, 2008, 08:34:41 AM »

Heading down now to check the mail, clean the living room, and get started on lunch.

WBBL.

Miss Karen

« Reply #84 on: February 26, 2008, 08:36:48 AM »

DR der Brucer ~ Speaking of Thirst, once again thank you so much for finding that picture of that life raft from the early 1900s -- it even has those sailors sitting on one that is under construction, so it will be perfect to use with my set crew since it shows what they're made of and how they're made.  Kiss, kiss, hug, hug!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: February 26, 2008, 08:40:29 AM »

IN WORDS:

Lines of cars on a freeway behave very much like a string, loosely strung with beads, in motion. In ideal conditions, all the cars are equally spaced along the freeway string, the whole strand moving along at 60 MPH. If the lead car has cause to decelerate, or God forbid, stop, even for an instant, the entire string starts to collapse into a solid stretch of bumper-to-bumper cars. Long after the initial car resumes speed, cars at the tail end of the string are still piling up. Every car in the collapsed string adds an additional element of time to how long it will takes the entire string to regain speed again. So, even if the lead car is stopped for only 10 seconds, the 60th car in the string may have quite a few minutes before it has its chance to rejoin the forward motion - and note, all the while more and more cars are being added to the non-moving queue. If you are the 40th car in the queue, the reason for the initial slowdown may not be apparent by the time you reach the point of the initial stoppage. (In many cases, the cause is a driver being cut off by a lane changer or a cell-phone talker making a careless freeway entrance.) At times of heavy freeway traffic, succeeding string collapses often occur before the initial collapse has recovered, resulting in a series of stop and go stretches for no apparent reason. We've all experienced the tunnel effect caused when a three-lane road opens up to four lanes - long lines of bumper to bumper traffic in the three lane segment, and instant clear sailing when we hit the four lane portion. If we had a magical way of having all 50 cars in a string brake at the same time, and at the same rate - and then resume speed at the same time and the same rate, our traffic would behave more like a rod than a string and we could move many more cars per hour - and that "magical way", centralized computer control, is just a few years away for major expressways.

I'm sure David Krumholtz could explain it better, and with neat graphics :D

der Brucer

;D
A nice explanation, der B. I'd forgotten all about string theory--and couldn't have explained it, anyway.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: February 26, 2008, 08:40:37 AM »

Up a little earlier than planned.  Looks like quite a pretty day out.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: February 26, 2008, 08:41:59 AM »

I stayed up quite late last night, finishing the proofing of the book.  Today I'll start entering the fixes, most grammatical, occasional wrong character names, a couple of deletions, and other minor stuff.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: February 26, 2008, 08:42:30 AM »

I really don't want to go to the storage place, but I must, so I will.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: February 26, 2008, 08:43:58 AM »

Not much on the planet plate this week:

As communication planet Mercury in friendship-based Aquarius comes together with lovely Venus in Aquarius, you seek out people who share your values. This will provide a fabulous climate for interesting, thought-provoking conversations. This is a perfect day to attend a lecture, throw a party or join a matchmaking service. It's not everyday that the planet of love matches up with the cerebral planet!

thanks, Jack. I was probably still reeling from the last Mercury retrograde. I have found that even though the retrograde is over I may be picking up the pieces for a bit longer.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Up