Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: A 110-YEAR-OLD TIBETAN MONK  (Read 25610 times)

BrettySpaghetti

• Insert hilarious quip here
    • The Blog Ate My Gun
Re:A 110-YEAR-OLD TIBETAN MONK
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2008, 08:30:59 AM »

And this is the view outside my editing room window. The Japanese magnolia is glorious today!

Here is the crabgrass outside my shack here in the boondocks.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2008, 08:33:52 AM »

Here is the crabgrass outside my shack here in the boondocks.

Did you do the landscaping yourself, Brett?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

BrettySpaghetti

• The Blog Ate My Gun
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2008, 08:37:08 AM »

Did you do the landscaping yourself, Brett?

No, not really. But I want you to know that I am beginning to take a real shine to the way my name looks in boldface!

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2008, 08:44:24 AM »

And the word of the day is: CIRCUMBENDIBUS!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  DETOUR AHEAD

BrettySpaghetti

• The Blog Ate My Gun
« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2008, 08:45:33 AM »

Here is a flower I see very often in L.A. and in my own neighborhood. My next-door neighbor has them in his front yard. It's called a butterfly iris; I took this with my iPhone camera. I think this flower is quite lovely.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2008, 08:54:53 AM »

Dear DR Bretty Spaghetti:

Torchwood and Doctor Who as anagrams... yep, pretty well known.

The Sarah Jane Adventures is not an anagram of either, however.

But The Sarah Jane Adventures has been picked up by the SciFi Channel, and will start airing on Friday, April 11th.

The fourth season/series of Doctor Who will start airing the week after, on Friday, April 18th.

Now, here's where everything starts getting interesting, therefor we must have the mandatory

[size=20]SPOILERS WARNING!!![/size]

abbadabbadabbadbaabba said the monkey to the chimp
and here we go...

Ready?

The Sarah Jane Adventures stars Elisabeth Sladen as the titular Sarah Jane Smith, former companion of the Doctor, continuing her career as a journalist.  In the opener, "The Invasion of the Bane," popular robot dog K-9 gets written out of the series, mainly because he's getting a series of his own.  The Sarah Jane Adventures is aimed at a younger audience than Doctor Who is currently geared for - think of SJA as rated G, Doctor Who as PG, and Torchwood as somewhere between PG-13 and R.

Seasons Two and Three of The Sarah Jane Adventures are being filmed back to back.

The Doctor, meanwhile, has another Christmas special to start off the season, this one titled "Voyage of the Damned" and guest-starring Kylie Minoque as waitress Astrid Peth.  Then the fourth series in full gets going, with Catherine Tate returning for the full series as the loud Donna Noble (yes, she of "The Runaway Bride").

But wait, it gets crazier.  Freema Agyeman, having put in a three-episode stint as Dr. Martha Jones over on Torchwood, returns to Doctor Who about mid-way through the series.  And then, for the last three episodes, Billie Piper will return as Rose Tyler.  Don't ask me how, the storyline is all conjectures at this point, but her contract is not - yes, Rose Tyler returns!

And there have been all sorts of sightings at the Doctor Who set - apparently, for the final three-episode story, Captain Jack returns, as does Sarah Jane.  That the Tardis is bigger on the inside than it is on the outside will be highly convenient at this point.  Sightings have also included Camille Coduri (aka Jackie Tyler) and Noel Clark (Mickey Smith).

Plus there have been hints of another name returning to the fray: Davros.  

Most significant of all is that, rather than seque into series five, Doctor Who will return the following year as three specials, giving current Doctor David Tennant time to play Hamlet on-stage, with the fifth series to commence some time after that.

And yes, John Barrowman and friends will be returning for a third series of Torchwood.

Whew.

WilliamHartnellPatrickTroughtonJonPertweeTomBaker
PeterDavisonColinBakerSylvesterMcCoy
PaulMcGannChristopherEcclestonDavidTennant We Now Return You To Our Regular Programming...

;D
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 09:21:14 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

BrettySpaghetti

• The Blog Ate My Gun
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2008, 09:22:24 AM »

Hmph. DR Jack Randall admitted he did not know.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2008, 09:24:53 AM »

We had rain last night, but it's nice enough now.

I've got work to get to.

Der Brucer will be joining you shortly, I think.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2008, 09:31:25 AM »

Quote from: S. Woody White on Today at 07:54:53am

It is VERY well known in Doctor Who fan circles - those of us who are obsessed enough to have collections of the original series on DVD, a few copies of Doctor Who Magazine laying around, Murray Gold's soundtrack of the current series on CD.

For those who want to go even further, there's the Big Finish Audio Adventures, also available on CD and featuring original cast members from the past, but I haven't gotten that fanatical yet.  (There's a question as to just how canonical these stories are.)

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2008, 09:32:46 AM »

I didn't know, either, and thought that was interesting. Haven't seen Torchwood, tho...
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2008, 09:32:51 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... Although, I guess it is the afternoon now here New York City.
Make Your Own Luck.

Edisaurus

« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2008, 09:34:20 AM »

Bretty, love the iris. I should see if I can grow that one here!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2008, 09:37:14 AM »

Der Brucer will be joining you shortly, I think.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

;D

*Over the past few days, that whole "Noooo!" in slow motion deal from TV and movies - ya' know, someone trying to stop someone, something from happening - has been a part of my daily routine.   I'm not the one saying "Nooooo!" in slow-mo, but other people have described incidents like that to me (usually funny things), it's popped up on a various tv shows I've been watching, and then with some of the descriptions of the tragic events in Atlanta and NYC's East Side yesterday, well...  "Noooooooo!!!!"

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2008, 09:41:57 AM »

DR Dakota Celt - First of all, welcome back (again).  Secondly, if you do have trouble picking which pictures you'd like to post, you can always just post a few on here, and then link to an online album.  I know that's saved many a DR from cutting and pasting URLs.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2008, 09:44:28 AM »

And, yes, the new musical opening later this week at Pasadena Playhouse is based on the Cher movie, "Mask".  I played some of the casting sessions for it here in NYC - Binder Casting is the casting office for PP - and was actually thinking of trying to fly out there to see how the whole thing fit together.  We shall see...
Make Your Own Luck.

BrettySpaghetti

• The Blog Ate My Gun
« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2008, 09:45:44 AM »

It is VERY well known in Doctor Who fan circles

Of course it is well known in Doctor Who fan circles. But as is becoming evident, it is not very well known among Bruce Kimmel fan circles!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2008, 09:49:30 AM »

In other news... Those Starbucks breakfast sandwiches sure are tasty. ;)

-And I even plugged in the espresso maker this morning to make a nice mocha latte to go with it.  And I used the Lake Champlain Aztec Hot Chocolate mix as the base for my mocha - it has a bit of cinnamon and cayenne in it for just a nice little kick!  :)

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2008, 09:51:08 AM »

Good Morning, DR Bretty Spaghetti - I forgot to thank you for posting the rest of your avatar.  Although, I have to say, I was more or less posing that request as a rhetorical question.  -Not that I'm complaining about the response.  No, not at all. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2008, 09:53:07 AM »

Hmm... Come to think of it, I have a bunch of pictures I still need to download from my camera, including a bunch of pics I took while I was in Chattanooga.  I can't believe I haven't posted the pic of the slice of the Five(!) Layer Sampler Cake I had at the City Diner!  Stay tuned! ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2008, 09:59:47 AM »

Well, I believe I'm going to head up the street to pick up a copy of today's Times, and then spend an hour or two going through it and looking at all the pretty pictures. ;)

Laters....
Make Your Own Luck.

BrettySpaghetti

• The Blog Ate My Gun
« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2008, 10:07:41 AM »

And, yes, the new musical opening later this week at Pasadena Playhouse is based on the Cher movie, "Mask".

I'm sure this has been covered on HHW in the past, but I find it discouraging that so many "new" musicals are mining the cinema for inspiration these days. I know there are good musicals based on movies; Little Shop of Horrors is one of my favorites. And I do realize that many of the world's most popular musicals are derived from nonmusical plays (Oklahoma, My Fair Lady, West Side Story) and popular fiction (Flower Drum Song, Phantom, Fiddler, Jesus Christ Superstar [HA!]). But are we completely out of new ideas? Today, it seems like the only way you can put asses into theater seats is to base your musical on a hit movie or a pop artist's reservoir of hit songs. Is this part of the overall "dumbing down" of America, or merely a fad based on a few fluke hits? I fear that there may come a day that nobody will take a chance on an idea that doesn't have a built-in, proven popularity factor already attached to it.

And where does Wicked fit into this equation? It's a musical based on a novel that's based on...another novel. But virtually everybody sees it because of the film version that's based on the original novel!

Thus endeth my rant.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2008, 10:17:41 AM »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

;D

OOOOOOOOOOOH, YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES! ;D

der Brucer

Be patient - I'm warming up!
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: March 16, 2008, 10:17:58 AM »

I had to run up to my storage space and take a couple of bags of clothing in mothballs.  There are already in the space about four other bages of the same.  I was sorting items in carton and suddenly became quite nauseous and had to leave.  I suspect I've been poisoned by the naphthalene fumes, so I'm looking online now for treatment.  thank God I'm seeing the doctor about this crap tomorrow morning.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #83 on: March 16, 2008, 10:21:21 AM »

Of course it is well known in Doctor Who fan circles. But as is becoming evident, it is not very well known among Bruce Kimmel fan circles!

There is an elite subset universe where the two intersect! :)

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Edisaurus

« Reply #84 on: March 16, 2008, 10:37:06 AM »

I suspect I've been poisoned by the naphthalene fumes, so I'm looking online now for treatment.  

Elmore! Feel better vibes!

Not that this will help any, but my DH was reading to me today from a book that said never to use mothballs--always use cedar instead because mothballs contain toxic chemicals. It won't kill you but you're not doing your body a favor by using them.

Another thing I learned was that you shouldn't leave your drycleaning in the plastic bags when you bring them home. I knew that dry cleaning chemicals are bad (although there is some form they mentioned that isn't as toxic) but I thought it was just for hte people who had to work with them.

Today's lesson: air out your dry cleaning---preferably before you even bring it into the house!

Cillaliz

« Reply #85 on: March 16, 2008, 10:39:29 AM »

This is the view when doing what one does in the ladies room at Wisdom's- a roadside cafe south of Tubac

Edisaurus

« Reply #86 on: March 16, 2008, 10:39:42 AM »

I fear that there may come a day that nobody will take a chance on an idea that doesn't have a built-in, proven popularity factor already attached to it.

At least we've had URINETOWN, AVENUE Q, THE DROWSY CHAPERONE, etc.

Another great musical adapted from a film: THE LAST STARFIGHTER!

Cillaliz

« Reply #87 on: March 16, 2008, 10:40:47 AM »

I'm at the Tucson airport.  It's 10:33 and the gate still has the 9:55 flight listed. Idon't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing.  I shall shortly wander about to see if I can verify that this is my gate.

Edisaurus

« Reply #88 on: March 16, 2008, 10:42:33 AM »

This is the view when doing what one does in the ladies room at Wisdom's- a roadside cafe south of Tubac

It reminds me of the gynocologist who worked for my university and who had the famous Burt Reynold centerfold displayed on the ceiling for the entertainment of the ladies.

The first time I saw it:
ME: I never thought I'd be looking at Burt Reynolds.
DR: I bet he never thought he'd be looking at YOU, either!

Cillaliz

« Reply #89 on: March 16, 2008, 10:42:36 AM »

Yesterday I looked outside and this is what I saw
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Up