Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE THREE Rs  (Read 23993 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE THREE Rs
« on: February 06, 2004, 12:03:44 AM »

Well, you've read 'em, you've divined their meaning and now it's time for you to take the notes you've read and enlarge upon them and post until the cows come home.  To it, I say.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2004, 12:02:10 AM by bk »

Tomovoz

Re:THE THREE Rs
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2004, 12:30:24 AM »

CD: A compilation of wonderful Lani Hall tracks.
DVD: Last watched was "Brother Bear". Possibly "Big Fish" or "Mona Lisa Smile" tonight.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2004, 02:37:01 AM »

Oh dear....it must be a different Godzilla/Mothra/King Ghidrah movie....because the one I saw definitely had singing Peanuts....I think it also had something about "the World" in the title....watch for that one, MR BK.

In my CD player:  Company OBC - still a favorite!  8)

DVD player - The Ten Commandments - after I watched DeMille's "Madam Satan" I wanted to see another spectacle!  ;D

VHS - Preminger's "Saint Joan" - very interesting.  And I liked Jean Seberg a LOT!  :)

And I thought I would add a picture of Chris Meloni, just because I found one.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 06, 2004, 02:37:56 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2004, 02:49:37 AM »

This is the one I am talking about....I have seen it a couple of times on satellite...forget which service.   :P

Look for it...unfortunately NOT in widescreen!  >:(

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2004, 04:11:05 AM »

In response to all the brouhaha Bush is pushing about marriage being sacred, only for a man and a woman, etc.:

Same sex marriages don't produce children - ie: future soldiers.

And no, I'm not kidding.  The Roman emperor Augustus (the first emperor after Rome's ill-fated tenure as a republic) made all sorts of laws that emphasized "the good Roman family" in order to ensure that lots and lots of tiny Romans would be born, and grow up to continue Rome's conquest of the world.  Men who remained bachelors were fined and denied honors.  Women who bore three or more children (ensuring population growth) ensured enormous tax breaks for their families.

The difference is that in ancient Rome, Augustus actually stated his intentions outright: Rome needs lots and lots more soldiers to remain great!  Now there's more subterfuge.  But it's the same old strategy.
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2004, 04:51:41 AM »

I decided I should leave the bedroom & let Keith try to sleep.  I woke up with a coughing attack before 4:00.

SW you remind of the why I NEVER WANT TO MOVE AGAIN!   I hope the broken furniture can be mended.

Lulu-very interesting.  You mean I don’t have my priorities straight?  And I thought we need to worry about over population & the environment-silly me.

I just drank some hot water (way to early for my stomach to tolerate tea) & think I might be able to return to bed without coughing.  

Ben

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2004, 04:59:17 AM »

Nothing in the work CD player yet. Not sure what I'll listen to this morning. I'm feeling somewhat political so perhaps a dose of Romanovsky and Phillips for the morning.

Like last week, in the VCR is last night's showing of Two's Company, the 1975 Elaine Stritch Britcom, episode 4.

More later.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2004, 05:04:00 AM »

Ah yes - my good vibes out to SWW and derBrucer dealing with the final activities of THE MOVE!

Kerry

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2004, 05:38:34 AM »

Interesting choice, Ben.  In my tape player is one of my strange compilation tapes-- Romanovsky and Phillips,  Paul Whiteman and Ricky Nelson.  I figured out that I must have  dubbed off several things I had on cassette onto one. At least I think that is how that tape happened.  

In the CD player,  The Best of Jeri Southern.

In the VCR:   the Hallmark movie with Angela Lansbury that I recorded but have not watched.

DVD:  Still alternating between episodes of the 4th season of the "Spopranos" and the first season of "Soap"
I like boat races.

Jane

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2004, 06:03:59 AM »

It didn’t work.  Now I will wait for Keith to get up before I try and go back to sleep.  I hear the coffee grinder.  He must be up.  I’ll post my DVD listing later.

Jane

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2004, 06:07:07 AM »

It was just the automatic coffee maker.  It looks like Keith is sleeping in this morning.

DVD:  Casablanca, the special edition
TIVO:  The Hallmark movie

Here is Echo, Keith is really up now.   :) Bye.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2004, 06:33:25 AM »

FOR THE FIRST TIME THIS WEEK, NO BROADWAY CLOSINGS WERE ANNOUNCED TODAY!

I remember Christopher Meloni from a short-run ABC series called "Leaving LA".  What has he done since?

CD - The Original London Cast of the 1950 musical "Love From Judy" from the original 78s.  This is the first CD I've seen with 6 regular tracks and 18 bonus tracks of other songs by the cast from other sources.

DVD - We'll be watching "The Beatles on Ed Sullivan" this week end which also features several numbers from the OBC of OLIVER!

VHS - Nothing

Casettes - A new collection of 40 episodes of "The Jack Benny Program" from his very first show up til the end of its long radio run

For those who missed my announcement last night, the Spring Musicals in Mufti season at the York will be BEST FOOT FORWARD, FANNY & WEIRD ROMANCE followed by their last regular show of the season - A revue based on the works of Kenward Elmslie.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2004, 06:35:19 AM »

AS the understudy in the second Mufti show you mentioned said to the stage manager:

"Tonight they will be applauding MY fanny!"

And Happy Birthday, Zsa Zsa!!  ;D
« Last Edit: February 06, 2004, 06:43:04 AM by JRand53 »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2004, 07:09:20 AM »

DR WEL asked: "I remember Christopher Meloni from a short-run ABC series called "Leaving LA".  What has he done since?"

Appeared five seasons as the bisexual murderer Chris Keller on HBO's OZ.

Did guest appearances on five episodes of NYPD BLUE

Appeared in a two episode story arc on the final season of NBC's HOMICIDE: LIFE ON THE STREETS.

Appeared this season as a guest star on NBC's SCRUBS as a pediatrician who used a puppet cal;led Mr. Candypants to talk to patients.

Made the following feature films: RUNAWAY BRIDE with Julia Roberts, a small bit in FEAR AND LOATHING IN LAS VEGAS, THE SOULER OPPOSITE, WET HOT AMERICAN SUMMER.

Made the following TV movies/miniseries: EVERY NINE SECONDS, TARGET EARTH, MURDER IN GREENWICH

And for the last five years, he's been the top billed star of NBC's LAW & ORDER: SPECIAL VICTIMS UNIT.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2004, 07:13:57 AM »

Media Watch:

CD - Barbra Streisand - PEOPLE

laserdisc - THE DIARY OF ANNE FRANK

VDR - Wednesday night's SMALLVILLE
          THE RECRUIT

DVD - Disney's THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME to be followed by Disney's ALICE IN WONDERLAND.

MBarnum

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2004, 07:23:17 AM »

My weeks entertainment or coming entertainment for the weekend:

DVDr:
 Shower of Stars: The Christmas Carol with Basil Rathbone, Frederic March, and Sally Fraser.

the 1925 version of She (Who Must Be Obeyed)

DVD:
1960s Bollywood action/adventure/fantasy film Kublikahn starring Helen and Samson.

Mystery of the Wax Museum.

CDr: A wonderful compilation CD put together by DJ Jazzy Tomovoz. Each and every song on the cd has the word puppet or is about puppets or along those lines (being as I am a fan of Attack of the Puppet People!LOL). Some great songs, many of which I had never heard before! My fave being on by a singer named Sandie Shaw called Puppet on a String. Thanks Tom!!!

CD player at work: Soundtracks to Ek Hindustani, Nayak, and Love at Times Square.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2004, 07:29:19 AM by MBarnum »

Jennifer

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2004, 07:31:38 AM »

Good morning all. I am so happy.  Bravo Canada is starting to air the last group of Sex & The City episodes tonight. That means we're only maybe a month behind (not sure how many of the last episodes have aired on HBO).  Usually they keep us like 3 months behind. So yeah!

Matt H.

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2004, 07:39:25 AM »

We have had 5 episodes of SEX AND THE CITY so far this season. There are three left.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2004, 07:47:13 AM »

Media watch - Nada. (I'm supposed to be concentrating on my work.)

Question: What ticks you off at the supermarket? Here's my current peeve.

Yesterday I was at the upscale Whole Foods. Whenever I'm in the area I'm drawn to WF for its outrageously priced but delicious pecan and raisin bread. The bread section has now moved to a high-traffic and unsupervised area of the store, where folks brush their coats and tushies along the half-exposed loaves as they walk by or bend over.

(I left a comment in the suggestion box. And I did not get any bread.)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2004, 08:00:32 AM »

Good morning. And CONGRATS ON THE 25,000!!!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2004, 08:07:24 AM »

Good rant, BK.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2004, 08:09:07 AM »

Good health vibes your way, Jane.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2004, 08:41:15 AM »

DR MATTH - it would be nice if there was a package in your mailbox to upset that viewing plan!

DR TD - yours as well!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2004, 08:48:09 AM »

DR DinTo - there are so MANY things that I hate about going to the supermarket that I go on Saturday morning at 5 a.m.  8)

The bread situation you described is disgusting.  Are they trying to make it an impulse item?  Bleh!  :P

Before my current trend, however, I hated people who stand and talk to friends and block the aisle and/or items....talk on the phone, FCS!  People without ID who want to write a check....cashiers and sackers who carry on personal conversations with each other while they do your order....items that ring at a different price than what is on the shelf or ad...the way people drive in the parking lot...and unattended children!

I know, I know, and yes I have talked to my therapist about all of this.  ;D

Matt H.

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2004, 09:00:52 AM »

DR MATTH - it would be nice if there was a package in your mailbox to upset that viewing plan!

My mail carrier used to deliver between 11 a.m. and noon, but now it's late afternoon, so I will probably be able to get through some of my list before the mail arrives. Looking forward to your wonderful surprise.

I despise shopping for groceries as well so I go around 9 a.m. on SUnday morning. I usually don't have much of a line ahead of me at the checkout. Of course, they usually have at most two checkers, too, so if there is a larger group than usual, there are fewer people to check you out.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2004, 09:26:26 AM »

Oh, Jane - get well! It's spring, and you're missing your walks with our baby Echo!!! Goodest of good vibes, Angel Girl.

Hey, DER BRUCER and Woods - did you try to write me a private note, and accidentally send it to Panni, instead of Penny? Best wishes on the grueling task of moving. Jeez, it's grueling. Grueling! Been there, done that. Probably do it again before the year is out...
PennyO

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2004, 09:28:00 AM »

In response to all the brouhaha Bush is pushing about marriage being sacred, only for a man and a woman, etc.:

Same sex marriages don't produce children - ie: future soldiers.

And no, I'm not kidding.  The Roman emperor Augustus (the first emperor after Rome's ill-fated tenure as a republic) made all sorts of laws that emphasized "the good Roman family" in order to ensure that lots and lots of tiny Romans would be born, and grow up to continue Rome's conquest of the world.  Men who remained bachelors were fined and denied honors.  Women who bore three or more children (ensuring population growth) ensured enormous tax breaks for their families.

The difference is that in ancient Rome, Augustus actually stated his intentions outright: Rome needs lots and lots more soldiers to remain great!  Now there's more subterfuge.  But it's the same old strategy.

Well, if that's the issue, all we need to do is get rid of "Don't ask, don't tell."  Heck (or, "hecky durn," as you might say, Dear Reader Lulu), we'd even be able to hire back those Arabic language translators (soliders with a skill much needed by our armed forces today) who were fired because they love the love that dare not speak its name.

Jeesh.  Sometimes it's the simplest solutions that work the best.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2004, 09:43:13 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2004, 09:40:54 AM »

DR DinTo - there are so MANY things that I hate about going to the supermarket that I go on Saturday morning at 5 a.m.  8)

The bread situation you described is disgusting.  Are they trying to make it an impulse item?  Bleh!  :P

Before my current trend, however, I hated people who stand and talk to friends and block the aisle and/or items....talk on the phone, FCS!  People without ID who want to write a check....cashiers and sackers who carry on personal conversations with each other while they do your order....items that ring at a different price than what is on the shelf or ad...the way people drive in the parking lot...and unattended children!

I know, I know, and yes I have talked to my therapist about all of this.  ;D

Umm,....... Jrand,.................. you haven't gone to work for the Post Office have you?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2004, 09:41:59 AM »

In the CD player--

Three Bette Midler recordings, in anticipation of her upcoming concert here in the City of Angels:  Soundtrack to Beaches, "Some People's Lives" and the Greatest Hits collection.  Also, a complete recording of Vincenzo Bellini's Norma, with Dame Joan Sutherland in the title role.

Figuring out my tastes is a hopeless exercise, Dear Readers.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2004, 09:46:48 AM »

Good morning, one and all!

I have returned to the land of the living – I think.  Wednesday night, when I got home from work, I had a craving for something to snack on, but couldn’t decide what I wanted. I finally grabbed some chips and some dip from the refrigerator and began to chow down.  Apparently, the dip I grabbed was past its prime.  So for the last 36 hours, I have spent most of my time either in the bathroom or under the covers, with only an occasional foray onto HHW to make sure everyone was okay and minding their manners.  I am back at work today, which means I am either a lot better, or I am even sicker than I thought I was.

DVD Player:  "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken"
                                 "U-571"

CD Player – House:  "Annie Get Your Gun" – Peters/Wopat

CD Player – Car:  "Mamas and Papa’s Greatest Hits"

VHS Player:   "Bah, Humbug!" Starring Me
« Last Edit: February 06, 2004, 09:48:20 AM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up