Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE THREE Rs  (Read 24040 times)

MBarnum

Re:THE THREE Rs
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2004, 09:56:17 AM »

DR TCB, have you contacted the divine Ms. Provine yet?

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2004, 09:56:37 AM »

TCB - Glad you're feeling better. Sounds like a nasty 36 hours. Sorry you were under the weather and the covers. Now take inventory of your fridge. I'm fanatic about best-before dates, but partner Gord (who just finished a container of cream dated November something; I think there was a preservative in it, but please ...) is not. And guess who's the healthier one?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2004, 09:57:23 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Ben

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2004, 10:07:13 AM »

My, my, my (three mys) I didn't know so many felt the same way about grocery shopping. And you guys are in the suburbs!!! Shopping is very difficult (in my humble opinion) in the borough of Manhattan. I go shopping at about 7am because the store I go to (Western Beef) has good prices but it's a typical small NYC store. Shopping at other times becomes a lesson in frustration. The aisles are barely wide enough for one cart, let alone people. If we go at 7am on Sunday morning usually the only people in the stores are the employees and we can take our time and not worry about bumping into people, unruly children, cart bumper cars, etc. The other problem w/Manhattan shopping is (I've mentioned this before) you have to get your groceries back to your apartment and since the nearest two grocery stores are at the least 5 blocks away, if you don't have a cart in which to load your groceries, your arms get a workout. Although delivery is usually available, I just refuse to succumb to that temptation so we push our cart 6 blocks filled w/groceries and then have to lug them up 3 flights of stairs. At least when you shop in the burbs, you have a car and you can park in front of your house and unload. I've gone on too long about this so I'll stop.

I'm wallowing in nostalgia today. I mentioned I listened to Purlie yesterday. This morning I did listen to Romanovsky and Phillips (a gay duo from the 80s who sang very politcal and funny material). This afternoon I am listening to the 1964 West End cast of Little Me. A friend has it on CD and has let me borrow it. The show has a song that isn't on the Broadway cast CD w/Sid Caesar called Rich Kids Rag. Swen Swenson from the Broadway cast went over to London with the show. After Little Me, I will listen to Miss Lansbury in the Broadway recording of Dear World.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2004, 10:09:29 AM by Ben »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2004, 10:14:07 AM »

Yes, I have that DVD, jrand.  Love that version of G vs. M.  Dealing with Kritzer Time cover woes this morning.  Very annoying, but it will be right.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2004, 10:22:35 AM »

To those of you who know or know of John Engles (once a popular high school drama teacher in the LA area): when GENERAL HOSPITAL dropped him from contract to recurring he signed a 3 year contract with DAYS OF OUR LIVES.  Now GH --- who changed plans to kill off his character --- has to recast his role!

Regarding Broadway ticket prices we were discussing yesterday, today we got a call from a client who is coming to NY next month and wanted tickets for LION KING for a specific date (a Saturday night, naturally).  There were none left at the box office so we called a broker.  Now the maximum legal service charge a broker in NY can charge is 10%, but brokers in Jersey can charge whatever they want.  The broker we called wanted $250 a ticket.  I suggested that since our client was bringing her pre-teens they might enjoy WICKED.  For that the broker only wanted $200 a ticket.  We are leaving it up to out client, but what this shows is that people will pay a lot more than face value for a hot show they want to see.  For the same $250 people are (still) paying for LION KING, they could see four different shows at TKTS or 2 shows at full prices.  What's more, these brokers get the best seats and the people who buy tickets legitimately are left with the remainders.  Also the production gets none of the money.  At least with the $480 PRODUCERS tickets, the money goes to the show, not some broker.  And anything they have left unsold go on sale at the regular price the day of (or before) the show.  
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jennifer

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2004, 10:51:55 AM »

DR WEL: I would not buy from a broker charging those outrageous prices. Keep checking back, I'll bet you can find tickets for the date you need on your own.

As for grocery stores, well I live in the suburbs and can use a car. So that part is fine.  And I don't usually have a problem, except at the check-out lines. I hate waiting in long lines. Often I'll just grab a soap mag and read it while I wait.

The one place I hate waiting in line is Club Price.  They have no express lines, so sometimes it can take forever.  For some reason many people seem to buy carts full of stuff. I don't get it. They have some great prices (like on books and clothes). But for most foods, they charge really high prices. And I cannot for the life of me figure out why people would spend more.

Jennifer

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2004, 10:53:26 AM »

Oh thanks for the Sex & The City info. That's not too bad that we are only 5 weeks behind.  Usually they wait much longer. I'm just so psyched cause it's one of my favorite shows and we don't get HBO in Canada.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2004, 10:56:04 AM »

DR TCB, have you contacted the divine Ms. Provine yet?

No, I haven't yet, MBarnum.  Keep bugging me about it, because I really need to do that, but first I need to order a photo so I can have her sign it.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

MBarnum

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2004, 10:58:42 AM »

I guess I am one of the few people who enjoys grocery shopping. I don't like long lines, but I am fairly patient so I just people watch or scan the tabloids.

MBarnum

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2004, 10:59:42 AM »

No, I haven't yet, MBarnum.  Keep bugging me about it, because I really need to do that, but first I need to order a photo so I can have her sign it.

TCB, you will usually find a plethora of lovely Dotty Provine photos on Ebay! Get to it...she is waiting to sign for you!

Jennifer

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2004, 11:00:25 AM »

This article is in the NY Post today. Is it fair that he is on AI if he's already been on Broadway?

Marque Lynche is in the "Final 32" on American Idol.  He is a dancer who has appeared in "The Lion King" on Broadway:

http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/17416.htm

« Last Edit: February 06, 2004, 11:02:19 AM by Jennifer »

William E. Lurie

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2004, 11:07:52 AM »

Jennifer---
I'm not the one buying the tickets.  It's my boss's administrative assistant (the pc term for secretary) and since the client is paying for them we will let the client decide if she will pay those prices or not.  The point I was making --- and I may not have been clear --- is that price is no object for some people if it is a show they feel they have to see, and it's a shame that the shows cannot get the premium income but that it goes into some brokers' pocket.  It also shows that many people only want the current must see show no matter the price and that they won't take a chance on seeing anything else.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2004, 11:08:40 AM »

Welcome back, TCB. Sounds like a horrible bout. I've only had really bad food poisoning once in my life -- and that was enough. Since then I've read expiration labels fanatically (or phonetically). It's amazing how often expired food is still offered on sale at supermarkets. And I'm not talking about "Sell by" dates. I know things don't expire for weeks after that. I've even heard that they sometimes change the dates on meats when they expire to make them seem fresh. I don't even want to think about that one...

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2004, 11:17:00 AM »

Good morning, one and all!

I have returned to the land of the living – I think.  Wednesday night, when I got home from work, I had a craving for something to snack on, but couldn’t decide what I wanted. I finally grabbed some chips and some dip from the refrigerator and began to chow down.  Apparently, the dip I grabbed was past its prime.  So for the last 36 hours, I have spent most of my time either in the bathroom or under the covers

Oy. So sorry. The sickest I ever was happened to be a case of food poisoning. Nineteen years ago, fish from the Charthouse in Malibu. Yup - three days. May tainted food never cross the lips of any more Hainsies/Kimlets.

Anyhow, welcome back, boychik.
PennyO

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2004, 11:18:19 AM »

DRWEL - it may sound crazy, but have her check EBAY - sometimes tickets for specific nights are on sale there for one reason or another.

I too need to get a photo off to Miss Pinky of the Hotsy Totsy Club.  MBARNUM sent me her address last year!

MR BK - did I dream it OR did you write that the CD for Kritzer Time would include some of Benjamin Kritzer's musical compositions!??
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2004, 11:19:57 AM »

DR TCB....we now take credit and debit cards...do you need stamps today?

And DR Ben you are correct.  I will stop complaining....I push my cart to my car drive home and walk to the door with my groceries.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2004, 11:27:34 AM »

you know, DRMBARNUM, it's a grocery store NOT a liberry!

Ben

« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2004, 11:30:08 AM »

JRand, I didn't mean you shouldn't complain. Feel free to complain. It's a pain in the butt (oooh, can I say that now without someone suing me for reading the word butt - someone has actually, according to the news, filed a suit against Justin and Janet for this overhyped brouhaha - they were caused pain by the milisecond view of JJ's breast and feel the networks didn't do enough to ensure that this wouldn't happen) and you're entitled to complain. I was just adding my own specific issues. Complain away my friend :-)

Ben

« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2004, 11:31:48 AM »

Also, even though I said "you" it was the "royal you" I meant all you suburban (or even city outside of New York) folks who use a car to go shopping.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2004, 11:36:49 AM »

Too late DR Ben - your people will hear from my people by the end of the day.

See ya in court!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2004, 11:41:11 AM »

Yesterday I was at the upscale Whole Foods. Whenever I'm in the area I'm drawn to WF for its outrageously priced but delicious pecan and raisin bread.

There is one in Brentwood, walking distance from my brother’s.  In December I went every few days to purchase their gingerbread.  It also kept my room smell yummy.  :)

Panni

« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2004, 11:45:58 AM »

There's a very good column in today's LA Times about the whole J. Jackson stupidity: "Anatomy of a News Uproar"...  The final paragraphs are chilling:
"The FCC probe inspired by Jackson's antics has resulted in a five-minute delay being imposed on Sundays' Grammy telecast....and a five-second delay put on the Academy Awards on Feb. 29.
  So the next time an Academy Award winner decides to criticize the President on TV -- who knows? If it gets cut, at least we'll know whom to blame."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2004, 11:47:42 AM »

Tempest in a C cup!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2004, 11:48:14 AM »

Jrand: Yes, it will include some of Benjamin's compositions, four of them to be exact.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2004, 11:48:15 AM »

I'm wallowing in nostalgia today. I mentioned I listened to Purlie yesterday. This morning I did listen to Romanovsky and Phillips (a gay duo from the 80s who sang very politcal and funny material)....

Ben, I love Romanovsky and Phillips.  I have all of their CDs...how cliché is that?  Anyway, they came to The Evergreen State College here in Olympia about 10 years ago and put on a great show.  I got them to autograph one of their CDs for me.  I haven't heard about them in quite a while.  I assume that they're no longer performing, but sometimes I wonder if they're even still alive. :-\ Their website and on-line store no longer exist.  The library where I work bought a CD from the website (at my suggestion ;) ).  Does anyone know what happened to them?  
« Last Edit: February 06, 2004, 11:50:10 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Panni

« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2004, 11:48:52 AM »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2004, 11:51:38 AM »

DR Panni - read it today in USA TODAY and laughed.  

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2004, 11:56:09 AM »

CD:  "Young Vic"  Vic Damone; Decca's recordings (on one disc) of Alfred Drake and Kitty Carlisle in ROBERTA and Drake in THE VAGABOND KING; Vaughn Williams' symphonies #8 & #9.

DVD: The Vikings

MBarnum, I'm assuming the 1925 SHE, you are talking about is the same one I have labelled as 1926, starring Betty Blythe.  Curiously faithful to the novel; but a bit silly from the performances aspects by today's standards , of course.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2004, 11:57:22 AM by Charles Pogue »

Panni

« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2004, 11:58:26 AM »

I have a question about Joe Eszterhas... I've been reading about his new autobiography and his horrific time in the Austrian refugee camps. Well, I was in the Austrian refugee camps and they weren't horrible. I even got to be in a talent show with the other refugee kids. And they fed us and didn't shoot at us. And I got to sleep in an actual bed, albeit in a dormitory. It was better than the refugee place I was in in England. That was in Thorny Pitts. Which for years I thought was "Torny" Pitts - because that's how I pronounced it at the time with my Hungarian accent (which I lost) . I ate Jello for the first time in England. At the Salvation Army, I think. It was so pretty and jiggly, I didn't wan to eat it - just wanted look at it. I have no idea why all this is spilling out.  
« Last Edit: February 06, 2004, 12:00:26 PM by Panni »

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2004, 12:00:44 PM »

WEL makes a great point.

The reason Broadway ticket prices are so high is that that's what enough people are willing to pay.

It's a business, and the investors wish to make a profit.  The cruel "logic" of business dictates that the ticket price needs to be set at around $100 to ensure the show runs profitably.

And it's also sad: Broadway used to be an entertainment option for many, and now it's just for the rich.  I'd say that's brought about a change in the type of shows produced on Broadway.  Years ago, you could produce a musical that trades on verbal with (like Mercer's Top Banana or Li'l Abner).  Now, you're more likely to thrive with a show in which it doesn't matter if the audience speaks English (Cats, Moving Out).
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up