Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: OLDIES BUT GOODIES  (Read 25055 times)

td

• td
Re:OLDIES BUT GOODIES
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2004, 12:37:30 PM »

I was just looking at the calendar for March & noticed there is an option to post events.  Who can remove events?  It was nice to see Echo’s birthday is on the calendar, however, she will be loaded with birthday wishes since she is on there for nine days in a row.  On the ninth, she will be nine years old.

And there's something wrong with celebrating a birthday for nine consecutive days? ? ?  Well, when I was twenty-one. . .um. . .nevermind.

Thing from my childhood:  My hobbie horse, Ernie.  (and we're talking pre-pre-pre-SESAME STREET)!

Many more thnks for the good wishes and great vibes; it seems that dad will more than likely have to have a heart catheterization early next week, following the echo-cardiogram and chest x-rays. . .he spent a rather good night, with only one complication: his sugar dropped to 44, and he soaked the bed with sweat.  He's bright eyed and bushy tailed this afternoon.

Off to cook dinner - savory carraway pork roast with brussel sprouts and pork-drippings rice.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Tomovoz

« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2004, 12:42:15 PM »

Good news td. Better than bushy eyed and bright tailed I am sure.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2004, 12:48:39 PM »

Jane - How are you feeing?

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2004, 12:55:12 PM »

Jane - How are you feeing?

Wondering why this little cold keeps getting worse instead of better.  Thanks for asking.

Panni

« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2004, 12:57:53 PM »

Wondering why this little cold keeps getting worse instead of better.  Thanks for asking.

Mine went away very quickly because I actually took antibiotics - something I haven't done in a while - and is no longer pc. But it sure got rid of what started out as a pretty nasty flu. You might look into that.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2004, 01:04:53 PM »

Oh God, Dream Girl.   I had forgotten that Judy appeared in that show.  Was she the Diana Ross character?

This is the God's honest truth. I never use that expression, but how else can I say that I am not making this up?

We had a friend, Rodney, who was Mr. Malaprop. Some years ago he returned from a trip to New York, raving about a show he had seen: "It was called Dreamgirls. And that Judy Holliday really stopped the show."

Another from Rodney: "We saw a great movie. Glen Gary, Glenn Close."

Yes - God's honest truth.

Jane

« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2004, 01:05:19 PM »

I hate taking anything.  Last night I broke down & used nose drops. Big mistake!  I wasn’t aware ones nose could burn all the way to the back of their head.  And I still couldn’t breath, the pressure was just reduced.  It still burns but not as bad.  I think if I can just get some sleep tonight it will make a difference.  It’s just a cold & cough and I would not be given antibiotics for it.  I think you had something else (remembering your symptoms) or the antibiotic wouldn’t have worked.  

Jane

« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2004, 01:08:00 PM »

TD is the hospital is keeping your Dad's sugar level under control now?

Tomovoz

« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2004, 01:14:15 PM »

Summer has arrived here. We are expecting 38 degrees C today. (Sort of Phoenix temperatures). We had the coolest January I can remember. We have had only three days over 30 this year so far. Usually we have had a few days over 40 by now.
Sorry to hear you still have your cold Jane. I am still a believer in letting it run its course and treating the symptoms. Anti-Biotics can only help with any secondary infections anyway. Lots of fluids and of cuddles (from Keith and Echo!). Hot lemon drinks always make me feel better anyway.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Robin

« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2004, 01:15:15 PM »

The actor playing the social worker, in whose arms the 14-year-old me is guzzling down a baby bottle of milk, was James Doohan, later to be immortalized as Scottie in Star Trek.

Cool story!  

My James Doohan story isn't quite as interesting.  When I finally met him, after years of idolizing him (hell, anyone having anything to do with the original Star Trek!) one of the first things I noticed about him in person was the fact that he is missing the middle finger on one of his hands.  

Well, he noticed that I noticed, shrugged his shoulders and said, "Stunt hands, dontcha know?"
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Tomovoz

« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2004, 01:20:41 PM »

This is the God's honest truth. I never use that expression, but how else can I say that I am not making this up?

We had a friend, Rodney, who was Mr. Malaprop. Some years ago he returned from a trip to New York, raving about a show he had seen: "It was called Dreamgirls. And that Judy Holliday really stopped the show."

Another from Rodney: "We saw a great movie. Glen Gary, Glenn Close."

Yes - God's honest truth.
Great story Dan. Did you tell him "I'm not going"? I love Malaprops. (I seem to make more spoonerisms these days as my mind becomes more cluttered).
« Last Edit: February 07, 2004, 01:21:35 PM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957

Jane

« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2004, 01:23:54 PM »

Tomovoz, cuddles?  I’m trying to avoid Keith & not pass this along to him.  Echo & Bogie do give me lots of cuddles.  This morning, while we were trying to sleep, Bogies kept getting into my cough drops & trying to eat them.  Unfortunately hot lemon drinks will upset my stomach.  I did just have half an orange & I have been drinking lots of hot water which helps.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2004, 01:31:59 PM »

Did you tell him "I'm not going"?

Actually, I think I said: "There's no way I can ever go, No, no, no, no way, No, no, no, no." (Or something like that.)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2004, 02:07:29 PM »

Good news on getting the house home organized: I've almost got my own room set up exactly the way I want it.  What books go on the shelves is still up, as is what clothes go where.  But the carpet is the right one, the bed is where I want it, as are the bookcases, the wardrobe, and the desk.  And I know where I want to hang my grandmother's etching, and the Hirchfeld lithograph.

Unfortunately, we've still got the rest of the house to go.  YIPES!

(On to the kitchen!)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2004, 02:08:32 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2004, 02:15:01 PM »

I'm having trouble writing today. Usually when I don't feel like writing. I find other useful things to do - clean the house, catch up on mail, etc. Today I'm just sitting in front of the computer like so much fish. Maybe this confession will make me work - so that if some DR asks later today, "How're you doing with the wrinting, Panni?" I can gleefully answer, "I've rewritten an entire Act in the last hour."

Panni

« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2004, 02:17:42 PM »

Sounds like you're doing really well, SWW. I know from recent moving experience that one room at a time is the best way to go. Otherwise, you not only go crazy, but nothing really gets done.

Feel better, Jane! This too shall pass.

MBarnum

« Reply #76 on: February 07, 2004, 02:55:08 PM »

Hope you feel better soon Dr Jane! When I get a cold I usually drink lots of Cranberry juice, if you can stomache it. It seems to always help. Of course it could just be a coincidence, but it taste good anyhow.  :)

DR Pogue (from yesterdays question to me) it is the version of SHE with Betty Blythe. I haven't watched it yet, but I might have a double feature tonight of that iflm and the Hammer film VENGEANCE OF SHE.

Jane

« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2004, 02:58:45 PM »

Mbarnum no I can’t stomach cranberry juice but thanks for the good thoughts.

Panni that is what I keep telling myself.

SWW it is nice to have ones own little corner in the world. :)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2004, 03:18:03 PM »

On February 21, Stephen Schwartz, Debbie Gravitte and Scott Coulter are coming to the Washington Center for the Performing Arts (where I usher frequently) to perform Stephen Schwartz and Friends!  ;D ;D ;D The WCPA listing says that both Debbie and Liz Callaway are coming, but Liz isn't.  Anyway, I had never heard of Scott Coulter and I did a little searching.  One of the things I found was THIS article at "The Stephen Schwartz Fan Site."  Very complimentary.  However, I also found THIS review of Scott's solo CD at showbusinessweekly.com.  It's not complimentary.  No, it's not complimentary at all.  The review starts with this paragraph:

Scott Coulter’s self titled, debut CD on LML Music is a frustrating mess. There’s no denying that he has a lovely voice but the problem is that he knows it...and never lets you forget it. In fact, Coulter is so in love with the sound of his own voice that his interpretations are by turns self-indulgent, self-conscious, precious and, ultimately, boring.

Ouch!  Anyway, the main reason I'm mentioning this at all is the last paragrah:

At least he’s keeping good company with Stephen Schwartz, who plays on his own compositions, Tim Di Pasqua (whose song "Maybe You Didn’t Hear Me" is the best track on the CD), Richard Oberacker and Bobby Peaco. Additionally, he duets with the divine Debbie Gravitte who sounds great on Schwartz’s "In Whatever Time We Have." Sadly, however, it just made me put on Varese Sarabande’s The Stephen Schwartz Album (1999) to hear Brian D’Arcy James and Luba Mason sing it definitively.

"Definitively" ... now that's complimentary!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2004, 03:20:12 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2004, 03:26:32 PM »

DR Jane,

Over the years several people at supermarkets have given me helpful hints. And only this one from an eastern European cashier seems to help (and it won't help you now, but consider it for the future): At the start of each cold season, have a helping of freshly grated horseradish.

As for the other, less successful tips:

Years ago when I was buying a turkey,  the cashier whispered that I should put some ginger in the stuffing - it will cut down on the gas. So every year I add it. But people still fart.

Another time I was staring at an unfamiliar vegetable, and a helpful gent said: "Bitter melon, man. From the Caribbean. Good for the sex." (Conclusion: about as useful as the ginger.)

« Last Edit: February 07, 2004, 03:28:06 PM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Panni

« Reply #80 on: February 07, 2004, 03:27:39 PM »

I'm working! That last post of mine shamed me into writing. Have written some decent stuff and am continuing....

Danise

« Reply #81 on: February 07, 2004, 03:29:44 PM »

Jane,

Have you tried a saline nose spray?  One of the ladies I work with swears by it when she has any kind of cold/flu/sinus problem.

TD, I'm glad your dad is doing better.  

Best vibes to all!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #82 on: February 07, 2004, 03:34:01 PM »

Started watching THE THIN MAN on DVD last night, and will finish it soon. I have been very impressed with the clarity and sharpness compared to the laserdisc.

Then on to YOUNGBLOOD HAWKE, courtesy of the ever-sweet and super-generous DR JRand.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jane

« Reply #83 on: February 07, 2004, 04:20:44 PM »

DR Jane,

Over the years several people at supermarkets have given me helpful hints. And only this one from an eastern European cashier seems to help (and it won't help you now, but consider it for the future): At the start of each cold season, have a helping of freshly grated horseradish.

As for the other, less successful tips:

Years ago when I was buying a turkey,  the cashier whispered that I should put some ginger in the stuffing - it will cut down on the gas. So every year I add it. But people still fart.

Another time I was staring at an unfamiliar vegetable, and a helpful gent said: "Bitter melon, man. From the Caribbean. Good for the sex." (Conclusion: about as useful as the ginger.)

LOL  :D I hate horseradish.

Jane

« Reply #84 on: February 07, 2004, 04:28:49 PM »

Glad to know you are working Panni.

Danise I keep saying I’m going to try it.  Not now though.  At the moment I’m typing with one finger since I find if I hold a Kleenex over my face and keep the air out it doesn’t hurt as much.  This method of typing takes forever and I’m constantly correcting my mistakes.  

Back to “Seven Brides For Seven Brothers” and a bowl of soup.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #85 on: February 07, 2004, 04:34:39 PM »

Fingers crossed that you enjoy it DRMattH!

DRPanni - in a production of BALM IN GILEAD in which I played a small role - the moment I was in was chosen by our local "Hirschfield" to draw...there I am...and that same pose in a photograph is in an edition of some Theatre text book....hmmmmm  maybe I will look it up sometime.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Panni

« Reply #86 on: February 07, 2004, 04:43:01 PM »

there I am...and that same pose in a photograph in an edition of some Theatre text book....hmmmmm  maybe I will look it up sometime.
In a text book, DRJRand53! You add class (no pun intended) to this, the happiest site on all the Internet.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: February 07, 2004, 04:47:45 PM »

Home at last, and now dealing with my new galley, which I've just started going through and which, maddeningly, has stuff fixed, new stuff wrong, and stuff that didn't get fixed.  Please, keep the home fries burning and I'll be back on after dinner.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #88 on: February 07, 2004, 04:52:09 PM »

JRand53,  You forget one of the best things about Ivanhoe...the great Miklos Rozsa score!

MBarnum...the silent SHE & VENGEANCE OF SHE.  You are a glutton for punishment.

I will leave BK's and my book fair adventures for him to relate.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #89 on: February 07, 2004, 05:07:00 PM »

Why we rarely go to movie theatres any more:

We wanted to see the 47-year-old Disney/Dali colaboration "Destination" that was finally completed and released last year (and is up for the Best Animated Short Oscar®)  It was playing at selected theatres with "Calendar Girl" so we decided to go to the 4:00 showing this afternoon.  At 3:50 they began showing clips of new videos to plug the CDs.  At 4:00 began the regular product advertisements.  These were followed by seven or eight trailers... none for a movie opening anytime in the next month or two.  After the usual "turn off your cell phone - no smoking - visit the refreshment stand" promos the short finally started at 4:22 - 32 minutes after the pre-show ads began and 22 minutes after the advertised time.  And for that we paid $10.00 a ticket (the AMC in NY does not have the bargin matinees and twilight shows that the AMC theatres in the rest of the country have)!  We never watch commercials on tv (pre-tape and zap anything we watch).

Anyway "Destino" beautifully mixed Dali art with classic Disney animation but had none of the classic Disney storytelling.  "Calendar Girls" was enjoyable but the last half hour tended to be dragged out a little too much.  Out of all the trailers there is only one film that looked like it was worth seeing ("Two Brothers" about baby tigers separated at birth).  Robert Redford was in one trailer and he looked at death's door.  Of course when I shots of him at Sundance this year he also looked pretty bad.  Age or illness?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up