Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: ATTEND THE TALE  (Read 20747 times)

Michael

Re:ATTEND THE TALE
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2008, 08:26:10 AM »

TOD:

One that comes to me is a production of the Mikado that took place in a museum that was exhibiting a show about ancient Japan. it took places after hours and a cleaner does something that makes the statues come to life.

He also accidently breaks off the arm of the statue of Katashaw before she comes to life and for the rest of the show she carries around her arm. (Cute idea)

The cleaner eventually becomes The Mikado
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2008, 08:35:07 AM »

There were always a couple of bare torsos in the original SOUTH PACIFIC production; one of the bare torsos in London was Sean Connery's.

Good morning, all! I had a really wild panic attack this morning and couldn't get out of bed.  I don't have them often, and I don't know the source for this one, but it was most peculiar.  So, now I'm up and moving, showered and dressed, and ready to work.

On top of that I had very strange dreams: one involving my selling scripts for the Drama Book Shop out of a car glove compartment and being frustrated because the person I was working for had not added price tags in American currency for British scripts; I was traveling with this child named Mikey, and I had to buy him a hat at one point since it was raining (this part of the dream makes perfect sense now!).

I also dreamed that our lovely DR Laura, her husband, and a church tour of young adults were camped out in my apartment and there were people lying everywhere.  No wonder I hada panic attack.

BK, I'm glad you enjoyed SWEENEY TODD since I detested it and think John Doyle is a fraud of the highest order.  It might be fine in a bar or college basement for a $25 ticket, but for a director to make a Broadway debut with this piece of tripe staged for the $100 center section of the orchestra with no concerns for sightlines on the side sections where the ticket prices are the same is an insult.

So, back to work.

That was basically my point - it didn't work in the Ahmanson, as I imagine it didn't work very well in a Broadway house.  But, I have to believe that its initial accolades and buzz came from the fact that it was done in a very small, intimate theater, where, for some, it probably seemed fresh and exciting.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2008, 08:36:14 AM »

Oh, and I'm up.  I"m so glad I don't have to actually do much besides sitting and watching the choreographer do his thing.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2008, 08:39:11 AM »

DR elmore - How was the rice pudding?  Did it survive the trip up from SoHo?

It was quite tasty, DR Jose! Thanks for such a lovely gift.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2008, 08:43:04 AM »

That was basically my point - it didn't work in the Ahmanson, as I imagine it didn't work very well in a Broadway house.  But, I have to believe that its initial accolades and buzz came from the fact that it was done in a very small, intimate theater, where, for some, it probably seemed fresh and exciting.

Maybe true for London, but it doesn't expalin all the morons who swooned over it in New York as if it were the second coming of Christ. They must have all been sitting in the center section of the theatre and knew the plot so well that none of Doyle's stranger "concepts" and his refusal to let characters be in the same area for a scene bothered them.  This was a SWEENEY TODD only for folk who knew what the plot was going into the theatre.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2008, 08:49:34 AM »

I have a tv question (maybe DR MattH will know).

I see NBC is showing MONK and PSYCH on sunday night. I am curious are these the pilots for these shows?  

To the best of my knowledge and memory of what I read in TV GUIDE about the episodes, neither is the pilot. But I'll check again later and get back to you later today.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2008, 08:51:25 AM »

Good morning!

Our predicted warm weather moved in last night after a very heavy rain. It's overcast still and supposed to rain off and on all day today. However, it has not rained since I've been up. The ground, however, looks soaked.

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2008, 08:52:55 AM »

I did not get any mail from the USPS yesterday, but late in the day, I did get a UPS delivery from Paramount: the horror film CLOVERFIELD which was a surprise hit earlier in the year. I don't normally like modern horror films as they seem just too gross, but this got respectful reviews, and it's less than 90 minutes, so I'll be curious to watch it tonight.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2008, 08:53:56 AM »

Of course, early in the afternoon, I'll be watching the last two episodes of COLLEGEE HILL INTERNS. Such an inconsequential show.

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2008, 08:54:45 AM »

TV Reminder:

[size=10]TORCHWOOD!!![/size][/glow]

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2008, 08:55:47 AM »

Eager to hear from those who watched GHOST WHISPERER last night since I didn't have a chance to see it. I'll have to catch a rerun this summer.

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2008, 08:58:40 AM »

TOD:

I really adored the Nathan Lane/Faith Prince revival of GUYS AND DOLLS. The pacing and flow of the show seemed more movie-like than just about any show I had ever seen before. Kudos to Jerry Zacks for the direction, and I greatly enjoyed the late Chris Chadman's choregraphy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2008, 09:06:38 AM »

I did not get any mail from the USPS yesterday, but late in the day, I did get a UPS delivery from Paramount: the horror film CLOVERFIELD which was a surprise hit earlier in the year. I don't normally like modern horror films as they seem just too gross, but this got respectful reviews, and it's less than 90 minutes, so I'll be curious to watch it tonight.

I found CLOVERFIELD interesting.  There's one unintentional laugh because the screenwriter wasn't aware or didn't care about cell phone reception in Manhattan, but I found a lot of it quite fascinating.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2008, 09:08:20 AM »

I found CLOVERFIELD interesting.  There's one unintentional laugh because the screenwriter wasn't aware or didn't care about cell phone reception in Manhattan, but I found a lot of it quite fascinating.

All the more reason for me to look forward to watching it. Thanks, DR Elmore.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2008, 09:09:00 AM »

It was quite tasty, DR Jose! Thanks for such a lovely gift.

You're most welcome, DR elmore.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2008, 09:10:10 AM »

I guess I'll head down now to get a head start on finishing up that reality series. Then, maybe I can watch something good while I eat lunch.

WBBL.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2008, 09:19:00 AM »

Well... Now I know why one of the checks I've been waiting for was delayed: Whoever typed up the address put the wrong zip code in the address field.  It was actually mailed three weeks ago - and from the looks of all the crossed out USPS auto-scan bars - it looks like the envelope made quite a few journeys over the past three weeks.
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2008, 09:27:12 AM »

All caught up on breakfast, coffee drinking, e-mail reading, and HHW...now I am ready to go back to bed!

MBarnum

« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2008, 09:29:05 AM »

This afternoon I will hie myself, my mom, and my sister Sue to Vancouver to attend my Uncle Jim's 80th birthday part to be held at Big Al's Bowling Alley...Hawaiian buffett food and free bowling...should be lots of fun!

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2008, 09:55:26 AM »

Happy saturday everyone!

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2008, 09:56:02 AM »

I am showered and dressed and shall soon be on my way to dance class. Pierre is napping on the ironing board, one of his favorite perches.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2008, 09:57:30 AM »

Today is my final day alone in the apartment- my roommate returns from her 2 week long vacation early tomorrow morning.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2008, 09:57:51 AM »

I'll be quite happy to have her back.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2008, 10:29:11 AM »

Re:  John Doyle.  The director of the Cinderella production I did last year totally cracked me up when he said the next step in this trend is to have all of the actors wear those mining helmets with the little lights on them, so that they can get rid of the lighting designer, too.   ;D
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2008, 10:44:15 AM »

I gotta tell you.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2008, 10:44:35 AM »

I'm here at the Chance Theater watching people tap dance.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2008, 10:46:23 AM »

Tapping aliens seen in the Heim of Ana.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2008, 10:46:51 AM »

Are we STILL on page three?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2008, 10:52:54 AM »

And the word of the day is: PIGNUS!
BK!!! Are you trying to pawn something smutty on us?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2008, 10:59:33 AM »

TV Reminder:

[size=10]TORCHWOOD!!![/size][/glow]

Which I will have to watch recorded, since I'll be at the store from three to ten tonight.

And I've the exact same schedule for next Saturday.  Stacey, who is organizing the schedule these days, clearly doesn't understand the importance of my weekly allotment of aliens, suspense, and snoggery.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up