Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THEME FROM DRAGNET  (Read 24150 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:THEME FROM DRAGNET
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2004, 02:19:38 PM »

Well, I checked out the laserdisc and she sings the line "He's got me in between the devil and the deep blue sea."  That's it.  Just the one line...and ONLY as a transition between "Happiness Is Just a Thing Called Joe" and "Fun To Be Fooled" within the big Harold Arlen medley.  Someone didn't watch the concert very well, or they didn't have the list of songs from the actual laserdisc, which is complete.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2004, 02:27:02 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Page Three Dance!!  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*[/move]
[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%] :)  :)  :)  :) Page Three Dance!![/move]
[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
:D   Page Three Dance!!   :D
[/move]
[move=down,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
Page Three Dance!!                 ;D                 Page Three Dance!!
[/move]
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2004, 02:28:00 PM »

Overkill?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2004, 02:32:40 PM »

I know many of you do not watch AMERICAN IDOL, but this relates to the comment about the theme from ENTERPRISE. . . .

Each week, the songs that the contestants pick from revolve around some topic: movie songs or Burt Bacherach songs or something like that. Last year, one week the contestants had to pick Diane Warren songs (and Diane was a guest judge that week). Well, not knowing much about current pop music, I only knew one song the lady had composed, the theme from ENTERPRISE, and I was PRAYING that Clay Aiken would select it as his voice would have been perfectly suited to the melody of the song (which I like very much indeed). Sad to say, he did not pick it, and neither did anyone else. And I must add that I hated every single song that was sung that week. The lady is not a composer I greatly admire, I guess, at least from that small smattering of her work that I heard that night. Do those of you who are more knowledgeable than I about her music actually like her songs?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2004, 02:34:38 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Tomovoz

« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2004, 02:34:01 PM »

The wonders of international mail from the Mother land to the Antipodes. My "Triplets" DVD arrived today. It was ordered on February 4th. Amazing.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2004, 02:40:37 PM »

Taking a break.  Been proofing, and also doing some pages on the new thing.  My eyes are killing me (no mean feat).  

Tomovoz

« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2004, 02:42:52 PM »

Diane Warren has had six Oscar nominations. She would be the most successful pop song writer of the past decade or so in terms of chart hits.  If a "Star" wants a big ballad they will go to Diane Warren. Celine Dion, Toni Braxton & LeAnn Rimes have done well with her compositions. There is IMHO a certain sameness about the songs but what do I know - they sell by the million.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2004, 03:09:57 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Donna

• It's never too late.
    • Cabaret West
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2004, 03:03:03 PM »

Hmm...Fran Drescher's voice...
Whenever I want to make sure I'm "forward" in my head voice before I sing, I mimic a few lines in her nasal tone.

What can I say? It works for me!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2004, 03:05:22 PM by Donna »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2004, 03:12:57 PM »

3:00, 67 posts.  If we end up achieving a new low (it's fine if we do) this will be the last Sunday for HHW.  Hate to do it, but I just don't see the point if most people don't show up.

Matt H.

« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2004, 03:25:18 PM »

I just found Diane Warren's songs sounded like she was sitting at the piano noodling around to find a melody without actually finding one. I agree they all sounded very much alike, but what sounded the same was the lack of any kind of melodic through line. I know that's not a necessity in a song, but I guess I'm just from the old school who prefers either that or interesting lyrics to carry someone along with the melody wherever it meanders. The songs of hers that I heard that night didn't have any of that.

But I say again, I don't claim to be an expert on her music. I know her jwork ust from a handful of songs sung in brief 90 second arrangements.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2004, 03:27:02 PM by Matt H. »

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2004, 03:25:28 PM »

3:00, 67 posts.  If we end up achieving a new low (it's fine if we do) this will be the last Sunday for HHW.  Hate to do it, but I just don't see the point if most people don't show up.

Well, WE'RE here... you're not alone. How many posts keeps the Sunday open???

Just btw - I love the theme from Rawhide! Yee-hah!

Dogs I have known and loved: grew up with 2 dachshunds named Schnitzel and Strudel. Oh, boy, swell little dogs they were, too. Really funny and smart. Still miss those little pooches. But  my true love of all time was George - he died six years ago, and I'm still grieving. Mixed black lab/shepherd, my sister found him eating out of a garbage can when he was about 8 weeks old. On the way to the animal shelter, she stopped in to show him to Chuck and me... we were goners. I will never forget him. Smart, strong, soulful. Hell of an athlete. My soulmate.
PennyO

Tomovoz

« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2004, 03:37:15 PM »

Should I round up the troops? My MONDAYS would be less bright.
"Rawhide" and "Have Gun Will Travel": another two themes that seem to have a permanent access line in my memory bank. I guess the "pop" versions of "Bonanza" (Al Cailoa) and "Paladin" (Duane Eddy) added considerable reinforcement.
James Thurber 1957

Donna

• It's never too late.
    • Cabaret West
« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2004, 03:47:11 PM »

I've seen Diane Warren in television interviews a couple of times and it's always struck me that she considers herself in the company of the great songwriters (Gershwins, Porter, etc.). I don't mean she does it in an egotistical way but her deportment and manner of speaking give that impression. I could never understand it because I agree with Matt...what songwriting?

Are you successful because you make a lot of money satisfying the status quo when that standard is at (IMO) an all-time low? It seems to me those in the forefront have perfected the "impression" of success through mastering the skill of promotion.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2004, 03:49:15 PM by Donna »

Matt H.

« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2004, 03:58:15 PM »

I remember the singers on AMERICAN IDOL practically genuflecting at her feet when they would approach the judges after their performance. They all were in such awe of her, and I just didn't get it.

MBarnum

« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2004, 04:05:00 PM »

Pet: Freddy the cat. Half Siamese and half something other. He is a little social butterfly and very sweet!

Favorite TV theme songs: Dark Shadows, Nanny and the Professor, Angie, Adventures in Paradise, Mod Squad, Family Affair, Adam-12, Room 222...those are the ones that I like listening to over and over.

Languages: Just English, though at various times in my teen years I attempted to learn Japanese, Spanish, and German. Still know a very tiny bit of all three.

Tomovoz

« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2004, 04:07:15 PM »

It is interesting that Ms Warren has managed to make such an amazing career without being a recording artist - quite unusual these days when pop stars so often write songs for themselves that no-one else can really sing (or wants to!). Can you imagine Andy Williams singing the Madonna songbook?
I am so way off with my appreciation of Modern pop. I so loathed last year's Oscar winning song and I noticed yesterday that it was Austrlalia's second biggest selling single of 2003.  The #1 selling song of the year in OZ was by Australia's Idol winner. I have not heard the song nor the singer! Local "Soapie" star Delta Goodrem has five of the top 20 singles for 2003. I think she is a star of Oz soapie "Neighbours" which gave Kylie Minogue and Jason Donovan to the world.
James Thurber 1957

Andrea

« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2004, 04:11:03 PM »

Been E & T for a while.. unfortunately I've had nothing interesting to post!

love, love, love the Nanny! Usually when I go to the states I end up watching the reruns.

Dog: Silver, an almost two year old German-husky mix. We just got him, so I'm still not sure exactly how I feel about him. Somehow he doesn't feel like my dog.

Past pets: Reggie and Golden (The loves of my life), two charming golden retrievers that I grew up with. Amber, a homeless bird we took in, Finny and Fin-less, two goldfish, and ten turtles, all of them given noble burials at sea (ie, toliet) and all of them named after the Teenage Mutant Ninga Turtles.

Languages: French, a smattering of Religious Romanian, and after this summer with a month spent in Florence, hopefully Italian.

All DR's who know canadian politics: I meet John Manley's son... and I thought that was kind of cool.

DR Jennifer: You're the one who likes the Bacherlorette and Harold Hersh, right? Wanna win a date with him? Check out http://www.smyle.ca/

MBarnum

« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2004, 04:21:02 PM »

Is there a DR out there in HHW-land who gets the cable channel Cinemax who would be able and willing to tape the movie THE LAST WAGON for me? It shows this Friday, I believe. I would gladly reimburse you for the cost of a blank tape and postage.  :D

I remember seeing this movie on tv as a teenager and it co-stars one of my favorite actors, Ken Clark. I would love to see it again but, alas, I do not get this station!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, Mr. Ken Clark[/move]

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2004, 04:22:58 PM »

Thanks Panni & Danise.  I do believe the worst is over.

I did learn an important lesson this afternoon.  If you walk around the market holding a kleenix over your face, people will stare at you.  :-[

I like the theme from “The Rifelman”.

We went to the Walt Disney film “Miracle” with Kurt Russell.  I half expected him to be that cute little kid who starred in so many Disney films.  

Tomovoz

« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2004, 04:24:57 PM »

Forgot: Languages. I studies French for four years at High School and have a "working" vocabularly. Colin and I will be in France in September so we invested in two computer programmes to help us learn the language. We have both given up. One programme is next to useless. You type in the words in English and it gives them back to you in French - unfortunately it is a literal translation which is not really useful. Even the better programme which is intereactive with audio responses is not really that user friendly. Sometimes when I think the pronunciation is not as I had been taught it as School I have checked with François and my memory of lessons from over 40 years ago is quite good.
I think the best way is to learn when you are really young and/or live with people who speak the language.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2004, 04:30:36 PM »

I did learn an important lesson this afternoon.  If you walk around the market holding a kleenix over your face, people will stare at you.  :-[

I think Michael Jackson has that problem too - not that he learned a lesson from it.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2004, 04:32:13 PM »

Rifleman: A show I loathed. It was the Johnny Crawford character that was a problem for me. I prefered him as a singer of light weight pop.
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2004, 04:32:20 PM »

Our former low is 135 posts.  I do appreciate everyone who does find time to be with us on Sunday, but it just bugs me frankly that Sunday is this much of a nothing day here at the site.  I've been thinking about closing it for the last five weeks - there is certainly no sneezing at even the number of posts we have right now, but it's such an ordeal week in and week out, and I'm in such a foul mood anyway, that my inclination is to just close her down either just on Sunday, or maybe even on Monday, too, if that day keeps being such a loser.

Donna

• It's never too late.
    • Cabaret West
« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2004, 04:32:45 PM »

Speaking of standards...
I just saw a professional road company performance of "Singin' in the Rain." Now, if you are going to duplicate a perfect movie in a live version on stage, don't you think you'd pay attention to every detail so as not to disappoint the audience?

My main complaint was the sound. The theater it was presented in is known for its fine acoustics yet the sound balance was terrible. First of all, the actors were miked which made their voices sound all the same. The women's were especially grating as they all seemed pitched too high. The end result was that you couldn't understand the dialogue nor who was speaking. Then there was the orchestra. It consisted of one conducter and two horn players. The rest of the accompaniment was recorded. The sound effect was (guess!) uneven.

The dancing, for the most part, was the exact choreography from the movie (which was good) and 98% of it was danced well (including the title song that was danced in actual water). But the sound (i.e. taps) of the dancing was off. By this I mean they were not loud enough in relation to the recorded music and the miked singing.

My question is...How do the Broadway shows (like 42nd Street, for example) balance all the sounds, both recorded and live, so that it all blends into one consistent aural experience and doesn't call attention to itself?

Anyone care to comment?

Jane

« Reply #84 on: February 08, 2004, 04:33:06 PM »

Tomovoz  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: February 08, 2004, 04:33:39 PM by Jane »

George

« Reply #85 on: February 08, 2004, 04:39:53 PM »

I must get ready to usher tonight for the Olympia Symphony.  Actually, I'm working in concessions.  Anyway, I'll be taping the Grammy's and, if there's chat tonight, I'll have to miss it.  If we chat tomorrow, I can be there...unless something comes up.

Jane

« Reply #86 on: February 08, 2004, 04:41:38 PM »

MBarnum currently “The Last Wagon” isn’t playing on any of the stations I get.  I can program it into my TIVO wish for future recording.  

Danise

« Reply #87 on: February 08, 2004, 04:44:27 PM »

Please don't get me wrong but if there's someone to ask a foot in the mouth question, you should know by now that's me.

Is there a reason there has to be a certain amount of posts a day?  I don't understand.  Does the internet provider require it or what?

I know of sites that don't have posts for days--just when some one has something to say.  

I know it's upseting to not have posts but I think that like the tide things tend to ebb and flow.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Emily

« Reply #88 on: February 08, 2004, 04:49:38 PM »

Good evening all!!!

I have been kinda-quasi-somewhat-maybe E and T of late and apologise for it.

This weekend has been spent, unfortunately, doing abso-frigging-lutely nothing that was fun or even remotely weekend-y.  

Friday evening was spent at dinner with the big gun control boss from Toronto which was nice if somewhat forced.  Especially since she brought along the Coalition's Communications Advisor who is basically a big, rude jerk who spent the entire dinner trying to convince we three people from the Montreal office that his work with us was beneath him.  He used to be the communications director for Allan Rock (former Justice Minister - among other portfolios... he just kept getting shifted around by the last administration every time he made some major gaffe.)  Meh - whatever... I don't have to deal with him all that often for work and I certainly won't be going out of my way to help him in any capacity...

Saturday was spent grumbling and groaning about the amount of school work I have facing me in the next couple of weeks.  I also have decided to try out for the "Women in the House" program.  It consists of spending two days in fun-filled Ottawa going to lectures about the role of women in Canadian politics and then shadowing a female Member of Parliament for one day.  It sounds very interesting...

Today was spent partly on actually getting to work on all the gross assignments I have coming up.  They most certainly are extremely unapealling - so I won't bore you with them.

I started reading THE DAVINCI CODE as well (when the grossness of the above assignments got to be too much to bear).  So far it is very interesting - if slightly hard to believe could ever actually happen.  

Next weekend should be far more interesting than this one.  

I have to go purchase Andrea at the SMYLE singles auction (linked to before...) on Friday.  Of course if something more interesting comes up on the market I may be forced to dig into my wallet... ;)  I also want to go see EVITA which is being performed (i.e. mutilated) by a student group at McGill with far far far too much money and far far far too little talent.  It should be amusing to say the least.  
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Tomovoz

« Reply #89 on: February 08, 2004, 04:50:22 PM »

BK would you consider just not writing a column on Sundays? Whilst it is the column that stimulates the initial posts, Sunday is a "free for all" day so all we need is a blank page ("his favorite"). Just a thought on behalf of those who like to keep in contact through this happy site.
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up