Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: FOR WHOM THE BELLS TOLLED  (Read 34708 times)

Jennifer

Re:FOR WHOM THE BELLS TOLLED
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2008, 06:42:56 AM »

Thank you DRs RonP, MattH and Jane for the info from last night. I appreciate it!

Jennifer

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2008, 06:47:57 AM »

RE: MEDIUM (no spoilers).

I really liked last night's show. One interesting thing the show does a lot is bring back characters we have seen before.

Btw, I meant to mention a while back that i had read a good bit of one of the books by the real Allison Dubois.

She also has a husband named joe with the same occupation. And 3 kids (same names).

The one part i found that was quite different than the show (the real one did work on legal cases too) was that the real one does a lot of readings for people.

I guess the show decided to only focus on one aspect.

But I did find it interesting  how the real bridget would come running out of the house when real Allison would come home from the grocery store asking for the lollipop mommy brought her! (that she wasn't supposed to know about).

One other thing real Allison does a lot is get feelings about the future. A good friend of hers died. And she knew it from a very early age. They don't really play into this aspect either.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2008, 06:48:19 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

Hmm...  Isn't every meal memorable and special somehow? ;)

I do remember some really nice Chinese place by Tysons Corner in Virginia.  We had gone there for a some sort of party for one of my cousins.  The decor was much nicer than most of the Chinese restaurants we had gone to before, and the waiter service was semi-formal.  I seem to remember a lot of table-side preparations: sizzling rice dishes, Peking Duck carved tableside, etc.  -I was only 12 or 13 at the time, so, who knows, it could have been some really mediocre food, but it sure "felt" good.

Otherwise, the only other dining experiences that come to mind are two from a visit to Disneyworld: The Brown Derby at Disney-MGM Studios (this was before their "downgrade"), and Victoria & Albert's in the Grand Floridian.  I can't remember exact food choices, but I know that both Steve and I could not believe how good the food was at the Brown Derby - and the pianist even played "Deep Purple" for us.  As for Victoria & Albert, I splurged on the chef's table seating, so we got out our private table in the kitchen.  Truly one of the most delicious, well-presented, and well-served meals I've ever had.  -And in Disneyworld?!?!?
Make Your Own Luck.

singdaw

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2008, 06:51:13 AM »

PAGE TWO GUNN DANCE!!![/size]
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2008, 06:55:03 AM »

DR elmore - Just got your e-mail regarding tonight's concerts.  No worries.  Get and Feel Better.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2008, 07:05:05 AM »

thank you, DR FJL! Yes, folks, keep 'em coming!

And now, off to the post office.  If I don't post again with the hour, call 911.

I hobbled back. Oy!

The post office is a mess and of course there's only one automated postal machine and everyone using it ahead of me had never used one before so the wait was ridiculous.  Every post office needs one window designated "Know nothing? Complete Moron? This window only" and then those of us who arrive prepared and knowing exactly what we need won't have to wait in line forever.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2008, 07:11:56 AM »

The post office is a mess and of course there's only one automated postal machine and everyone using it ahead of me had never used one before so the wait was ridiculous.  Every post office needs one window designated "Know nothing? Complete Moron? This window only" and then those of us who arrive prepared and knowing exactly what we need won't have to wait in line forever.

At my local branch up here in West Harlem/Morningside Heights, it's like every window is labeled "Know nothing? Complete Moron? This window only".  :-\  -Which is why I will usually set aside some extra time to get down to Columbus Circle or Penn Station to take care of my postal business.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2008, 07:18:55 AM »

Good morning!

Beautiful but somewhat chilly day out today. We'll try to get to 60, but I don't think that'll happen today.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2008, 07:21:54 AM »

Hope you can start to feel better very soon, DR Elmore. Oh, how I feel for you! However, I certainly don't want to catch it (is it contagious?)!

FJL

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2008, 07:22:11 AM »

Jose - Agree about the Brown Derby at Disney world, also circa 1993-94 or so.  Also Disney World's California Grill at the Contemporary Hotel was simply amazing in all respects, and a repeat visit did not disappoint.  Never been to the Grand Floridian, but hope to someday.

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2008, 07:23:48 AM »

TV Reminders:

LAW & ORDER: SVU back after months of reruns!

NCIS has a new episode.

AMERICAN IDOL Top 7 mentored by Mariah Carey.

ACCORDING TO JIM and BOSTON LEGAL have new episodes tonight.

And the usual slate of reality shows (HELL'S KITCHEN, THE BIGGEST LOSER Season finale, DANCING WITH THE RESULTS results).

singdaw

« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2008, 07:25:51 AM »

TV Reminders:

THE BIGGEST LOSER Season finale

Gee, I wonder if DR RLP might tune in for this?   ;)

Hoping also that he'll provide another of his detailed recaps!   :)

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2008, 07:28:16 AM »

I can remember as a young child (probably around 7 or 8) going to a seafood restaurant in Myrtle Beach and being allowed to order a seafood platter (adult size). When it arrived, Mrs. Willie Duke (mother of astronaut Charles Duke; the Dukes and my family are cousins) told me laughingly that I'd never eat even half of the platter. How surprised they were some fifteen minutes later that my bottomless stomach once again didn't let me down. To her (and others') amazement, I had finished the entire plate plus sides of cole slaw and fries.

To this day, I think that's the best seafood I've ever eaten.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2008, 07:32:02 AM »

Today I'll start on THE BIG GAY SKETCH SHOW. I have high hopes for it. I hope I'm not let down.

I'll also be catching up with Sunday's THE TUDORS and JOHN ADAMS. Only one more episode of JOHN ADAMS to go.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2008, 07:36:25 AM »

Hope you can start to feel better very soon, DR Elmore. Oh, how I feel for you! However, I certainly don't want to catch it (is it contagious?)!

DR Matt H, you were in one of my dreams last night! I can't remember well any of them last night but there were quite a few because I slept so poorly. I kept waking up and trying to turn to a more comfortable position. I remember that the Macbeths figured in one in which I refused to speak to them, and this is clearly a concern I've got about my next trek to Ohio. There were several involving friends and acquaintances, but it's all too vague now.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2008, 07:43:32 AM »

IT'S TAX DAY.  :P  [/size]

Not for me! I had planned on filing an extension. I knew that some folks in areas hit by tornadoes had a one month grace period, but I thought you had to prove that you've had damage to your home or office. It turns out that since my county was declared a disaster area by the president, I don't have to do anything until May 19th. So I may be able to file by the deadline after all!

We have gotten behind on our taxes the last few years. We always pay more than what is due, but still, it will feel good to get back on schedule.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

singdaw

« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2008, 07:43:44 AM »

I'm continuing my J.S. Bach "marathon" by listening to the B Minor Mass.

I really don't think that anything more sublime has yet been composed by any mortal.  :)

Edisaurus

« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2008, 07:43:54 AM »

DR JMK, your DVD's arrived today. Thank you!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2008, 07:46:25 AM »

I can remember as a young child (probably around 7 or 8) going to a seafood restaurant in Myrtle Beach and being allowed to order a seafood platter (adult size). When it arrived, Mrs. Willie Duke (mother of astronaut Charles Duke; the Dukes and my family are cousins) told me laughingly that I'd never eat even half of the platter. How surprised they were some fifteen minutes later that my bottomless stomach once again didn't let me down. To her (and others') amazement, I had finished the entire plate plus sides of cole slaw and fries.

To this day, I think that's the best seafood I've ever eaten.

I had just the reverse experience when I was 12 or 13 years old.  My parents would take us to the Family Fish House every Friday night for dinner during Lent.  I loved their hush puppies - we all loved their hush puppies.  Well, I remember trying a fried oyster on a previous visit, and decided to go ahead and get a full platter of them for my dinner that night, instead of the usual fish and chips combo.  

This night it was particularly crowded and the kitchen was quite backed up getting the food out to the tables, so the waitress kept bringing out baskets and baskets of hush puppies to keep us satisfied until the food arrived.  Of course, once the food arrived - with even more hush puppies on the platter! - I think I could only eat one or two of the oysters.  But, boy, were those hush puppies good!
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2008, 07:46:50 AM »

DR JMK, your DVD's arrived today. Thank you!

No, your DVD's arrived today.   ;D
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2008, 07:47:30 AM »

I'm continuing my J.S. Bach "marathon" by listening to the B Minor Mass.

I really don't think that anything more sublime has yet been composed by any mortal.  :)

You obviously haven't gotten my cabaret song yet.

(That's a joke, retract the claws please).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Edisaurus

« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2008, 07:54:07 AM »

TOD: Our family never went to fancy restaurants; it wasn't in the budget. However, when I was in high school, my father had a meeting in St. Petersburg, and my mom decided that we would go to a restaurant in Clearwater called "The Kapok Tree". It was the most spectacular, amazing place I'd ever seen. I can't remember much about the food because the place was so visually overwhelming. It was a real event to go there.

While you were waiting for your table, you could walk around the immense gardens full of statuary. I really can't do it justice, but here's someone's tribute site with a lot of pictures:
http://benzplace.com/kapok/

You can see how over-the-top it is. Anyone else ever been there?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 08:00:03 AM by Edisaurus »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2008, 07:54:34 AM »

Bells are tolling and no one is posting.  And can someone tell me why so many people of the current generation spell no one as "noone"?  It is to wonder, but it happens so frequently that I have to wonder what they're teaching in school these days.

There is also the ubiquitous "alright" in place of "all right."

"Alright" ain't "right"!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2008, 07:55:08 AM »

Another MS popped into my head this morning:

TV Show "The Powers of Matthew Starr"
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2008, 07:55:59 AM »

There is also the ubiquitous "alright" in place of "all right."

"Alright" ain't "right"!

And there's also the seemingly now-interchangeable "lose" and "loose".
Make Your Own Luck.

singdaw

« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2008, 07:59:40 AM »

DR Edisaurus - wow!   :)

singdaw

« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2008, 08:00:27 AM »

"loose"

Do you have a particular affinity for that word, DR JoseSPiano?    ;)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2008, 08:02:15 AM »

Do you have a particular affinity for that word, DR JoseSPiano?    ;)

Speak for yourself, DR SlackJaw.  ;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Edisaurus

« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2008, 08:04:04 AM »

I revised the link to the guy's new Kapok site...the pictures are better and there is more history.

Here's just one of the many gardens:

singdaw

« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2008, 08:04:24 AM »

Harrumph!   ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up