Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: OPERATING ON ALL CYLINDERS  (Read 68940 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:OPERATING ON ALL CYLINDERS
« Reply #120 on: April 25, 2008, 09:44:26 AM »

As for last night's "Ugly Betty"...

I thought it was a good episode, but I felt the pacing was weird.  I even thought I could detect some "catching up" from the writer's strike.  ???
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #121 on: April 25, 2008, 09:44:48 AM »

I am home from work today - but not doing anything exciting like DR GEORGE.  Not feeling so well.

But TOD:

CD - Evening Primrose
DVD - College Confidential
VHS - The Atomic Submarine featuring a fine performance by Mr Richard Tyler
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #122 on: April 25, 2008, 09:45:54 AM »

Okay episode of MY NAME IS EARL....and glad to see he has recovered from his coma.

THE OFFICE had a rather disturbing - but still funny episode.  Who knew Rye Bread was a tweaker?  This could lead to all sorts of new developments.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #123 on: April 25, 2008, 09:46:15 AM »

Congrats to Anthony!

I know a bunch of the staff from Fireside from SETCs - I've played callbacks for them a couple of times.  Good guys, and they have some surprisingly strong ties to the New York City-Broadway scene.  -And their performance schedule is truly "cake".  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #124 on: April 25, 2008, 09:46:50 AM »

REAL LOST SPOILAGE THIS TIME:

jkafg ads;lfkj asl;kqpp  qwepoiquwerp 0235098 a;asd;lfkja  ja;lask qepoiu tqwe   Actually, I think Ben could very well have planned Sayyid's wife's murder.  I don't think he was surprised to see Sayyid at all--I think he just didn't want to be seen.  Also he had that sinister smile on his face as he left Sayyid after Sayyid said he wanted to help kill more people.  On another completely unrelated note, I got the impression last night that Ben is time travelling, too, and that is how he ended up in the Sahara Desert.  I say this not only because of how he suddenly awoke there, but also how he had to ask what day and year it was from the hotel lady.  We now return you to your regularly scheduled jibberish.  asd;flijasd a;as;sldkja a; asd;lkjasdf a asd;aslkaja s a as;sdalkjdf a asdf;lkajasd  
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #125 on: April 25, 2008, 09:47:27 AM »

As for the Friday Media Check...

Hmm...  Nothing in particular comes to mind right now except for the OCR of Side Show which I've been re-listening to for the first time in years.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #126 on: April 25, 2008, 09:51:42 AM »

Yes, we MUST have photos of everyone in new glasses....when they arrive.  Of course MR BK can wait until after his new hairstyle is installed.

Ginny

« Reply #127 on: April 25, 2008, 09:52:48 AM »

Feel better vibes to DR JRand!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #128 on: April 25, 2008, 09:53:08 AM »

As for "Lost" (again)...

You'll be swell, you'll be great. Gonna have the whole world on a plate.  Or something like that - my apologies to Mr. Sondheim.  In any case.  I think the opening scene and some of the comments in the closing scene will be the big hook.  Everyone is in and part of a game that got out of control.  When Ben mentioned the rules changing, my mind really started to race.  And then when Widmore said he would get his island back, well, there's definitely some meta-strategizing going on. We now return you to your regularly schedule programming and posting.  Could it be? Yes it could.  Something's coming. Something good. If I can wait.

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #129 on: April 25, 2008, 09:53:53 AM »

DR JRand - Is something wrong with Uranus?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 09:56:17 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: April 25, 2008, 09:57:32 AM »

DR Elmore - the Offenbach piece played by the zookeeper's wife was "Go, Go, Go to Crete" from La Belle Helene.

In The Zookeeper's Wife, Diane Ackerman spends several pages on Offenbach - pp. 174-177.  These reference are to the Large Print edition, the only copy available here today.  I suppose the day may come when I'll appreciate large type, but for now I couldn't read a whole book in that format.

The Act One Finale for La Belle Helene "pars, pars, pars pour la Crete" is also the tune used in the Act One Entry of the Kings for the Festivities and Contest of Intellectual Prowess. It occurs about seven minutes into the 9-minute finale.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #131 on: April 25, 2008, 09:57:42 AM »

OK - Time to get some work down here.  I suspect it will be a "Pack and Post", "Clean and Post", "Do some laundry and Post", etc., day.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #132 on: April 25, 2008, 09:58:16 AM »

That's the only thing that's working!  :P

Ginny

« Reply #133 on: April 25, 2008, 09:58:32 AM »

Nice review of MUSIC MAN in Hartford (featuring Patrick Cassidy, Shirley Jones, Jason Graae, Mary Stout, among many others) on Theatermania:

http://www.theatermania.com/content/news.cfm/story/13652

I wanna go, to-o-o-o <whine>
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #134 on: April 25, 2008, 10:01:08 AM »

I watched a movie called HAPPY ANNIVERSARY this morning.  A 1959 movie with some great New York location photography.  Patty Duke and Kevin Coughlin play the children of Mitzi Gaynor and David Niven.

A United Artists release, looking at the sets, I am think that some of the living room and the staircase was used a few years later when The Patty Duke Show from United Artists was filmed.

And Miss Mitzi Gaynor gives a sparkling and nuanced performance - it's probably the best thing I have ever seen her do.  Credit to her and the director David Miller.  This was based on a play ANNIVERSARY WALTZ....and too bad it's not better known.

singdaw

« Reply #135 on: April 25, 2008, 10:01:23 AM »

My weekend plans:

singdaw

« Reply #136 on: April 25, 2008, 10:02:17 AM »

<whine>

Groaning isn't allowed, but whining is?    8)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #137 on: April 25, 2008, 10:07:33 AM »

BK, re:  some of the comments on hand addressing your CD shipments.  Since you get your money via PayPal, I'm assuming you know PayPal has a really easy automated multi-order shipping thingy (technical term), where about two clicks of your mouse (not a euphemism) will print out shipping labels with delivery confirmation.  I use it for my eBay sales, and it's very quick and simple.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ben

« Reply #138 on: April 25, 2008, 10:12:43 AM »

I still haven't listened to EP (not Elaine Paige or Extended Play or Euphemistic Platitude or any other combination of EP). I'm just too busy and I don't want to put it in the CD player and half listen while I'm working. I will listen this weekend!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #139 on: April 25, 2008, 10:13:18 AM »

Okay episode of MY NAME IS EARL....and glad to see he has recovered from his coma.

THE OFFICE had a rather disturbing - but still funny episode.  Who knew Rye Bread was a tweaker?  This could lead to all sorts of new developments.

As soon as they met Ryan in the club, my phone rang and it was Mr Ron Raines, who was responding to my phone call earlier about the Jerome Robbins exhibit at the NYPL. When I got off the phone, Ryan was trying to get some sleep so I missed everything.

Now to the important matter I forgot to bring up yesterday: the NYPL at Lincoln Center has two fascinating exhibits in their galleries right now: the large gallery is all Jerome Robbins: posters, photos, costumes, scene designs, great ephemera like Floria Laskey's leter detailing all the work he did on A FUNNY THING HAPPENED to a letter from a Russian Jew living in New Jersey (I think) telling him how much he'd been weeping since seeing his young life onstage in FIDDLER ON THE ROOF. There are five videos showing footage of the 1958 Ed Sullivan show original cast of WEST SIDE STORY, Mary Martin's PETER PAN and others, a vidoe of JEROME ROBBINS BROADWAY showing a rehearsal with Betty comden, Adolph Green, Nancy Walker and Chris alexander recreating "You Got Me" from ON THE TOWN, portions of his New York City Ballet choreography, another showing the great FANCY FREE. I didn't see any footage of my favorite City Ballet piece DANCES AT A GATHERING, which is both glorious and heartbreaking beyond belief that I cannot begn to describes its wonders, and footage from his failed BALLETS USA company.

There are also on display Trude Rittman's original copies of her music for "The small House of Uncle Thomas" and something, I think, for BILLION DOLLA BABY, and a ton of other wonderful pieces of memorabilia from photographs to contracts. Anyone coming into New York in the near futureshould try to catch it.

The other exhibit is on Songwriters and the Tonys.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #140 on: April 25, 2008, 10:13:30 AM »

Wow ANNIVERSARY WALTZ had a Broadway run of 611 performances, directed by Moss Hart and starring Kitty Carlisle (Hart) and MacDonald Carey with Mr Warren Berlinger in the Kevin Coughlin role.....

Ben

« Reply #141 on: April 25, 2008, 10:14:10 AM »

Anthony thanks you all for the congrats.

Yes, Jose, the performance schedule, although it's 9 shows, is different from the norm. Once they start performances they are dark Monday and Tuesday, have one show on Wednesday and Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday they have two shows a day, one in the afternoon and one in the evening.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #142 on: April 25, 2008, 10:14:34 AM »

Nothing surgery won't help.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: April 25, 2008, 10:15:47 AM »

My weekend plans:

And I thought DR MBarnum was sad!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #144 on: April 25, 2008, 10:17:21 AM »

Notice the farmer's tan on the ankles....

Ginny

« Reply #145 on: April 25, 2008, 10:17:31 AM »

;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #146 on: April 25, 2008, 10:18:00 AM »

Well, I think I knew this, but maybe some others here on HHW do not....

Warren Berlinger is the nephew of Milton Berle....

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #147 on: April 25, 2008, 10:23:08 AM »

Absolutely.  Are we gonnahaveaproblemwidyouabout dat?

:)
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #148 on: April 25, 2008, 10:24:02 AM »

My weekend plans:

Having a Harry Hay fairy outing on your lawn?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #149 on: April 25, 2008, 10:28:02 AM »

Latest stupid eBay buyer question:  some idiot just asked me if my $6.50 shipping charge for a large boxed set was per each DVD in the set.  Yes, of course, I'm going to charge you $65 for shipping if you bid $9.99 on the set, it's a special just for you.  Oy.

Sorry, Jeff, but I'm with the buyer.  SOME sellers charge a flat rate "per item" regardless.  It's one of those "gotcha" clauses that the buyer is supposed to detect BEFORE he bids.

It's along the same lines as selling something with a $.01 opening bid, but the shipping/handling charge (handling equalling labor, I guess) is something along the lines of $29.  And, of course, it's something that can be shipped via USPS for $4.80.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Up