Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down

Author Topic: CLOSER THAN EVER  (Read 78892 times)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
Re:CLOSER THAN EVER
« Reply #300 on: April 29, 2008, 07:55:59 PM »

Hello all!  Unfortunatley we had a very rushed day today - right after work I picked the Vixter  up from my folk's house, zipped off to her su=inging lesson (NYSSMA is Saturday!) and then had to drive two town's over to collect Vixdad's cellphone from the kind couple that found it on the train yesterday.

That left us just enough time to get to the high school in time for the ceremony honoring outstanding students... after the top 10  graduating seniors were introduced and the PTA did some advertising and the school board did some advertising, they gave awards for "excellence in... various things.  The Vixter earned one for excellence in music., specifically for being part of the NYC Honours Choir this past fall.

We got out at 9 and altho8ugh the disembodied voice on the telephone at California Pizza Kitchen said they would seat and serve until 10 they turned us away at 9:45... so no cake or pizza for the Vixter... she had a late birthday dinner of drive through McD's

We promised to make it up to her!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #301 on: April 29, 2008, 07:56:38 PM »

We did start the day off by singing Happy Birthday and having her blow out the candle in her pancakes
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #302 on: April 29, 2008, 08:02:43 PM »

You put your two-dollar bills under your twenties. You don't usually give twenties out as change, so you won't run into the twos. And you put your dollar coins in the penny or dime slots so you won't confuse them for quarters or nickels.
WRONG!

We do so give out twenties as change.  We give them as change every time a customer hands us a fifty or hundred dollar bill.

I have had customers hand me hundred dollar bills for a less than five dollar purchase FIRST THING IN THE MORNING.  When I have had NO large bills in my drawer to use for making the change.

We also give out twenties as change when customers ask for cash back.  They can do this every time they use a check or debit card to make their purchases, or every time they use a Discover card.  Discover even advertises their card as a means for getting cash back, on national television.

As for putting the dollar coins in with the pennies or dimes, this would make it very difficult to simply slide the pennies or dimes out of the slots.  These slots have curved fronts, to make it easy for the cashier to get to the coins.  And the dollar coins do NOT sink to the bottom of the slot.  They float on top of everything else - small items always slip under the large items (which is why farmers always find large rocks finding their way to the top when they plow their fields).

Not to mention how this would make things more difficult when the assistant floor manager comes around to audit the drawer, to make sure no errors are being made by the cashier.  This process is done with a machine these days - the auditor takes the bin from the cash drawer, weighs it on the auditing machine, and gets the total value of the bin based on the weight.  Mixing coins would throw this process off.

(The dollar bills are also handled by weight, btw.  Fascinating process.)

While we're at it, a sidenote on the change given by the self-scan registers:

The self-scan machines do not carry ten dollar bills, to be used for change.  The machines have three bins under the change slot: one for twenties, one for fives, and one for one dollar bills.  It was decided that having a bin for ten dollar bills would take up too much room, and be redundant for something that can just as easily be resolved by dispensing two fivers.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #303 on: April 29, 2008, 08:05:00 PM »

Good Evening!

Damn, that Warm Flourless Chocolate Waffle is still soooo good!

:)

*And I had a great time catching up with my friend, Justin, and his partner, Kevin.  And I was very happy to hear that Jason has started singing with the DC Gay Men's Chorus, and he's even done some cabaret evenings for them, as well as being a soloist in some of their concerts. It's nice to know that that glorious bari-tenor voice is not lying dormant. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #304 on: April 29, 2008, 08:06:46 PM »

DR vixmom - Well, 9:45pm is a bit too late for pizza and cake anyway. ;)

-But I'm sure you'll make it up to her anyway. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #305 on: April 29, 2008, 08:08:33 PM »

WRONG!

Well, excu-use me! I guess you'll just have to suffer through all those hundreds of two-dollar bills that make your life so miserable. I get my fair share of fifty- and hundred- dollar bills too, but I somehow manage not to let it ruin my life.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #306 on: April 29, 2008, 08:09:12 PM »

Vixter - welcome to the group.

But be afraid.  Be very afraid.

:o

;)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #307 on: April 29, 2008, 08:09:27 PM »

The self check registers at my grocery store do take $1 coins.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #308 on: April 29, 2008, 08:11:34 PM »

DR SWW - Next time, could you just kindly direct them to the Customer Service Desk so that they could exchange their money there before it goes to the register?  Just say it's now store policy.  Yes, it will hold up the line a bit, but at least that will save you the aggravation.  You won't be refusing them service, you will just be redirecting them.  I still know some stores that will and can refuse any bills over $20 if the purchase is below a certain amount. -And they have signs posted saying so.  -I'm also just wondering why they don't go to a bank to trade the money in.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #309 on: April 29, 2008, 08:11:42 PM »

Welcome new DR The Vixter!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #310 on: April 29, 2008, 08:12:20 PM »

Sandra, you are working at a parking lot.

I am working at a grocery store.

Compare the volume of customers per hour.

Enough said.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #311 on: April 29, 2008, 08:12:28 PM »

:o

;)

I wonder if DR vixmom has already warned her about the Delaware contingent?

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #312 on: April 29, 2008, 08:12:33 PM »

I throughly enjoyed revisiting RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK. The new DVD looks superb. I didn't get around to putting in the older one and comparing the two. I will do that tomorrow.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #313 on: April 29, 2008, 08:14:12 PM »

Welcome newest DR and Birthday Girl, The Vixter!
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #314 on: April 29, 2008, 08:14:29 PM »

Welcome DR VIXTER!!!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #315 on: April 29, 2008, 08:15:03 PM »

The case deals with a couple of numismatists who get large numbers of 2-dollar bills and 1-dollar coins and go through them to find the rare ones.  They then come to the store and dump their unwanted bills and coins, and we cashiers are stuck with this unwanted garbage in our cash drawers.  We cannot pass them off to other customers - they don't want them either.  We do not have space in our cash drawers to store the coins or bills - that space is used for holding other things that we need to keep in the cash drawers.  The bill acceptors at the self-scan registers will not even recognize the two-dollar bills.  And, as far as I know (I haven't seen them try as yet) the coin acceptors will not recognize the dollar coins.

Are the two-dollar bills and one-dollar coins legal tender?  Yes.  But these two jackholes are committing a hostile act every time they pay their way.  They are selfish.  And they are gleeful every time they do it.

How often do they come in?

And do they always pick your register line?  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #316 on: April 29, 2008, 08:16:39 PM »

One more day...just one more day....I must get up in the morning and get my rear in gear and my fingers a typing to finish all I have to do before leaving town.  The timing of this trip is perfect. I am most pleased.  Leaving for NYC on May Day...I like that

Matt H.

« Reply #317 on: April 29, 2008, 08:16:53 PM »

I did have time to look at two of the bonus features on the disc.

The first was an introduction by Spielberg and Lucas about how the film came about in 1981.

In part of his explanation, Spielberg mentioned he had just done three movies where he went over schedule and over budget: JAWS, CLOSE ENCOUNTERS, and '1941.' He then went on to say that he felt bad and wasteful about going over budget even though all the movies were successful.

Really? '1941' was successful? I always thought it was one of the biggest bombs ever. (I mean a bomb at the box-office; Idon't think it works as a film either, but I'm sure he was talking about the film making money.)

Matt H.

« Reply #318 on: April 29, 2008, 08:18:33 PM »

The second bonus feature had the various members of the cast of the new INDIANA JONES/CRYSTAL SKULL movie commenting on the previous three films, their first experience with them, etc.

Matt H.

« Reply #319 on: April 29, 2008, 08:19:24 PM »

NCIS had a TOny-centric episode tonight. Michael Weatherly is always fun to watch, so I enjoyed the show even though it wasn't a great mystery.

Cillaliz

« Reply #320 on: April 29, 2008, 08:19:31 PM »

So, would it be a bad time to say that I really like the Susan B Anthony dollars ;)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #321 on: April 29, 2008, 08:19:38 PM »

DR SWW - Next time, could you just kindly direct them to the Customer Service Desk so that they could exchange their money there before it goes to the register?  Just say it's now store policy.  Yes, it will hold up the line a bit, but at least that will save you the aggravation.  You won't be refusing them service, you will just be redirecting them.  I still know some stores that will and can refuse any bills over $20 if the purchase is below a certain amount. -And they have signs posted saying so.  -I'm also just wondering why they don't go to a bank to trade the money in.
So, you're assuming the Customer Service Desk has that kind of cash in their drawer?

And no, I may not say "it is now store policy."  It is not store policy.  What you are suggesting is passive-agressive, which is totally against store policy.  We, as cashiers, are expected to knuckle under and smile sweetly.  Which most of the time is not a problem - we would much rather work with the customer than be their adversaries.

A "no bills larger than a twenty" policy would also be adversarial.  We don't do that.

As for the banks - in talking with these two guys who pull these stunts, the banks would much rather not see the two dollar bills or one dollar coins, either.  They'll ship them out, but don't expect them to take the ship back in.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #322 on: April 29, 2008, 08:20:32 PM »

DR Jose.  I forgot to mention to get Sugar checked to be sure the "leaking" isn't due to a physical problem.

Thanks to everyone for the "hints" and advice.

I think I came across a bit "alarmist" earlier in my original post.  In any case, Sugar does seem to have some socialization issues.  Jacks is here during the day, alas, he's not kept in the kitchen area but he's right "around" her in the living room.  They used to keep them together, but, apparently, that made Sugar even more excitable.

Sugar is about 9 or 10 months old.  She gets along great with Jacks and with Don and Alexandra, and she also had a full vet check-up before they finished the adoption (I guess it was an adoption of sorts).

And, yes, she was initially crated-raised, so, I'll pass on that hint about bringing her pad outside with her to do her business.  That makes a lot of sense.

Thanks, again.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #323 on: April 29, 2008, 08:22:09 PM »

The self check registers at my grocery store do take $1 coins.
I believe I said that I wasn't sure if our self-check lanes take the dollar coins.

But I can't see these guys bothering to take the time to use self-check.  It's faster for them to hand the coins to the cashier, and let him/her do the work.

:P

Matt H.

« Reply #324 on: April 29, 2008, 08:22:11 PM »

AMERICAN IDOL:

Oy! Not much of interest this week. I thought Brooke and Jason were particularly terrible on both songs. Jason doesn't even seem to be trying very hard, and Brooke was terrified with her first song; her voice was literally trembling.

I thought David Archulta had the best first song and David Cook had the best second song. Syesha did OK with both of hers, though she tends to sound the same on everything.

Still, nothing I'd call a standout on this evening at all.

Matt H.

« Reply #325 on: April 29, 2008, 08:23:31 PM »

I believe I said that I wasn't sure if our self-check lanes take the dollar coins.

Which is why I said that ours did. I wasn't implying YOURS did. I'm sure different stores use different machines.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #326 on: April 29, 2008, 08:24:48 PM »

One of our neighbors had a couple of red miniature doxies.  They love to bark at me as I pass by on my way to work, or on my way home.

The younger one, still a pup, loves it when I stop and give her a belly rub.  And yes, she squirts.

But her tail quivers happily at the same time.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #327 on: April 29, 2008, 08:25:46 PM »

So, would it be a bad time to say that I really like the Susan B Anthony dollars ;)
Danged feminist.

;D

Matt H.

« Reply #328 on: April 29, 2008, 08:28:04 PM »

I got through IDOL in less than 30 minutes, so I spent the next half hour channel surfing. THE LAUGHING POLICEMAN was on Fox Movie Channel. Not a favorite film (Bruce Dern's character calls gay men "fruiters.")

PBS had a program on the nine days that Agatha Christie was missing after her husband asked her for a divorce in the late 1920s.

I finally settled on ABC where I saw who went home from DANCING WITH THE STARS. The couple seemed to know they were leaving. Not having seen the show, I'm not sure why they seemed resigned, but they didn't seem particularly shocked.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #329 on: April 29, 2008, 08:29:15 PM »

Quote from: S. Woody White on Today at 08:09:12pm

I wonder if DR vixmom has already warned her about the Delaware contingent?

;D
You were there the first time we met Vixmom and the Vixter, remember?  You were leading the tour!

::)
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up