Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down

Author Topic: IN THE ZONE  (Read 69064 times)

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
Re:IN THE ZONE
« Reply #330 on: May 06, 2008, 08:09:31 PM »

JMK, so sorry to hear your sad news.

We lost a friend this week; a wonderful and talented colorist here in town. He really was one of the nicest people I've ever known. He has transferred a lot of film for me over the past 20 years.

I donated to his charity of choice: The Point Foundation. I had never heard of it before, but it's an interesting group.

There will be a memorial get-together in about a month. There will be a lot of people who will miss him. Cancer sucks.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #331 on: May 06, 2008, 08:09:57 PM »

Oooh...not a good way to start a page....
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #332 on: May 06, 2008, 08:10:34 PM »

DR FLJ, could you (or anyone else) PM me your zip code?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #333 on: May 06, 2008, 08:16:41 PM »

Had a full evening of viewing.

I began by finishing STOWAWAY. Fox was obviously grooming Alice Faye to be their next big star putting her in this Temple movie and giving her two beautiful ballads to sing. I don't understand why "One Never Knows, Does One?" didn't become an Oscar nominated standard.

The transfer is only fair. The movie has always looked soft, and there are scratches and some damage, too. They must not have original materials to work with because some Temple films are gorgeous to look at.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #334 on: May 06, 2008, 08:18:56 PM »

Next I watched THE YOUNG RAJAH which I had recorded off TCM this afternoon. I had never seen this Rudolph Valentino movie, and, of course, I had no idea it has been pieced together from only partially existing materials. Lots of stills and title cards to replace missing footage, and the footage there is in a pretty sad state. Still, nice to finally see it.

All those publicity pictures of Valentino in a jeweled jockstrap were kind of unfair to the movie. He really never appears that way in the film, at least not in the parts that are still in existence.

Matt H.

« Reply #335 on: May 06, 2008, 08:19:43 PM »

NCIS had a Ziva-centered episode tonight. Pretty intense to start things out, and it got less interesting from there. Still, an OK mystery.

Matt H.

« Reply #336 on: May 06, 2008, 08:22:09 PM »

IDOL:

The Davids once again walked away with the show. I liked Cook's first song more than the second though the judges didn't seem to agree with me. Archuleta's two songs were done in his usual sincere-style. Very nicely phrased and sung. I still think this is David Cook's show to lose.

Syesha and Jason were both the worst I've heard them in many weeks. Syesha was flat on about half of her first song. The second was better, but still had lots of bad notes. Jason is just hopeless. What a joke that he's still there and Carly and Michael Johns are gone.

Matt H.

« Reply #337 on: May 06, 2008, 08:23:44 PM »

I finished IDOL in about 25 minutes, so I was able to flip over to DANCING WITH THE STARS, and what just began when I flipped over? Mario Lopez in the two CHORUS LINE excerpt dances. Watched some of the other segments, too waiting for 10 p.m. to arrive.

Matt H.

« Reply #338 on: May 06, 2008, 08:25:01 PM »

WOMEN'S MURDER CLUB didn't feature a particularly interesting case, though I guess the final revelation was kind of a surprise. More interested in Lindsey's love life since her boy friend is SO cute. If she can't have Rob Estes, he'll do just fine as a substitute.

Matt H.

« Reply #339 on: May 06, 2008, 08:25:35 PM »

TOmorrow I'll watch tonight's LAW & ORDER: SVU while I'm eating lunch.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #340 on: May 06, 2008, 08:31:06 PM »

IDOL:

Jason is just hopeless.

He could do some nice "Give a Puppy a Loving Home" commercials for a local SPCA.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Matt H.

« Reply #341 on: May 06, 2008, 08:51:34 PM »

Heading down now to get some sleep.

Good night!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #342 on: May 06, 2008, 08:56:50 PM »

Well, I should finish packing, so...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #343 on: May 06, 2008, 09:04:47 PM »

I am looking forward to hooking up with Mr.  Stanek again when I am in NYC; should you run into him again, DR Jose, let him know that there's a possibility for a NYC extravaganza late in June, possibly early July. . .but that is still tentative.  . . .(I have out-of-country friends who will be traveling to the apple from the burgh around that time, and they would like me to join them).
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #344 on: May 06, 2008, 09:08:50 PM »

I am tired of proofreading minutes.

That is all.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

FJL

« Reply #345 on: May 06, 2008, 09:08:59 PM »

Edi - My zip is 10036

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #346 on: May 06, 2008, 09:15:20 PM »

This is the most exciting thing that's happened since Frank Gotch met Tom Jenkins and lay on the mat for eleven minutes without moving a muscle.  By God, that was exciting.....
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 09:15:42 PM by JRand57 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #347 on: May 06, 2008, 09:15:30 PM »

The first Brain review is out - I don't actually know where it's from, somewhere in Orange County, I presume.  But, here it is:

The Brain From Planet X
by James Scarborough, What The Butler Saw

May 5, 2008

I used to wonder whether intergalactic visitors would have libidos and the ability to make us laugh for hours on end.

And now, having seen David Wechter and Bruce Kimmel’s exquisite retro-futuristic sci-fi musical The Brain From Planet X, directed by Kimmel for The Chance Theater, I know.

They do and they can!

This show makes the solar system just a little bit smaller. We find that our visitors are just as goofy and hapless as the rest of us. They may think big, with grand plans to enthrall the Earth, but they prove that even aliens subscribe to Murphy’s Law: if things can go wrong, they will.

It’s 1958. Housewife Joyce (Allison Appleby), Engineer/Inventor husband Fred (Bob Simpson) and daughter Donna (Shannon Cudd), the composite of every do-good television family from the golden age of television, live that non-existent life invented by advertising executives and insurance actuaries.

Soon, though, they must fend off the attack of a trio of aliens: The Brain (Mark Rothman), Yoni (Emily Clark), and Zubrick (Daniel Berlin). They are aided, if that’s the right word, by – nice names! - careerist General Mills (Warren Draper) and factotum Private Parts (Dan Flapper).

A funnier script and premise you’ll never see. The songs rock, especially Yoni’s “I Need An Earthman” and “The Plan,” sung by The Brain, Yoni, and Zubrick, and the dancing, which also doubles as mass hysteria, is out of this world. The story takes place in the San Fernando Valley. Nice locale. Frank Zappa would have said that the invasion indeed did take place and the results continue to the present day, but that’s another story.

The production brims with the pitter-patter of puns, double entendres, and Boomer references (Rice-A-Roni, fake trips to the library so to watch submarine races...the only thing missing was Fred’s pocket protector and a slide rule). The show puts the complex back into military industrial.

You won’t find a better ensemble performance. Michael Irish’s Narrator notched up the hysteria like Joel Gray in Cabaret. Appleby’s Joyce put the tonic in catatonic. Clark’s Yoni begins with a Marge Simpson hairdo. Then she marvels at the terrestrial technology behind and the human statuary encased within zippers on men’s trousers. I kept expecting Rothman’s The Brain to pull out a cigar and start doing a Sands Hotel in Vegas stand-up routine.

Masako Tobaru’s set projections, and deb Millison’s costumes made me wonder if I was on the Set of "The Donna Reed Show" or "Lost in Space".

See this for the sheer visual lunacy, the non-stop laughs, and the buffet line of preposterous situations. See it because it’s live (and kicking), analog not digital. See it because you won’t believe how something so clever could come from the simple convocation of words on paper and people on stage.

Performances are 8PM, Friday & Saturday, 2PM, Saturday & Sunday. The show runs until June 8. Tickets are $27-30. The Theater is located at 5552 E. La Palma Avenue, Anaheim Hills. For more information call (714) 777-3033 or visit www.chancetheater.com.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #348 on: May 06, 2008, 09:17:30 PM »

And check out this clever preview they put together:

http://www.chancetheater.com/season_2008/2a_brain/preview.php

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #349 on: May 06, 2008, 09:18:23 PM »

What a great review.....he got it!  Congrats to Mr BK and the cast and crew.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #350 on: May 06, 2008, 09:18:38 PM »

I think it's a money notice.

MBarnum

« Reply #351 on: May 06, 2008, 09:20:00 PM »

Back from seeing this movie at Salem Cinema...http://www.sonyclassics.com/thebandsvisit/ ....it was a very cute, sweet film about an Egyptian Police Orchestra standed in a small town in Israel.

Now it is time for to go to bed.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 09:20:23 PM by MBarnum »

FJL

« Reply #352 on: May 06, 2008, 09:23:58 PM »

Yay, BK!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #353 on: May 06, 2008, 09:24:30 PM »

Fun preview!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #354 on: May 06, 2008, 09:25:40 PM »

Yes, time for to go to bed.....12:20 and still NO clear winner in the Indiana Democratic Primary....although it seems the current leader will creep to victory.

MBarnum

« Reply #355 on: May 06, 2008, 09:29:15 PM »

That preview is wonderful BK!!! And I must say that Michael Irish is impressive.

td

• td
« Reply #356 on: May 06, 2008, 09:34:28 PM »

Yippee-ki-aye for THE BRAIN! ;D
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Cillaliz

« Reply #357 on: May 06, 2008, 09:46:53 PM »

Callie watched the preview of the Brain and purred the whole time.  That's a purrfect review if you ask me

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #358 on: May 06, 2008, 09:50:07 PM »

Nice review!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #359 on: May 06, 2008, 09:50:15 PM »

Again, I have no idea where it's from - a paper or online or where, but I like it for sure.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up