Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: FOR ALL YOU MOTHERS OUT THERE IN THE DARK  (Read 56699 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re:FOR ALL YOU MOTHERS OUT THERE IN THE DARK
« Reply #180 on: May 11, 2008, 07:32:17 PM »

[size=12]PAGE SEVEN (7)[/size]
[/color][/b]
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 07:33:16 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #181 on: May 11, 2008, 07:33:31 PM »

Good night, everyone, I hope you had a great day.

BK, is it possible that you could post the list of books as one of your first posts of the new day.  Or, if not, could you wait until tomorrow afternoon to post it?  I am not allowed to go to this site while I am at work, but I would love to have a look at the list before it is totally picked over.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #182 on: May 11, 2008, 07:42:11 PM »

Travel recovery vibes for DR LAURA.

DR TCB has a new MagicJack?

Interesting!

I have decided to have a Tyrone Power/20 Century-Fox DeeVeeDee night....starting with the movie that my father took my mother to on their first date:  "Captain From Castille", which I haven't seen in its entirety.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #183 on: May 11, 2008, 07:42:56 PM »

Good night, everyone, I hope you had a great day.

BK, is it possible that you could post the list of books as one of your first posts of the new day.  Or, if not, could you wait until tomorrow afternoon to post it?  I am not allowed to go to this site while I am at work, but I would love to have a look at the list before it is totally picked over.

What are you saying?  That we will get all the GOOD ones?  ;D  I am thinking that's a possibility.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #184 on: May 11, 2008, 08:11:53 PM »

My goddaughter's godmother Celia Weston ias on DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES tonight. She's playng Terri Hatcher's mother-in-law.

She was very funny tonight.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #185 on: May 11, 2008, 08:13:24 PM »

I spent the first three hours of the evening watching more JAG episodes. I got all of the shows on disc two watched except probably the last 10 minutes of the last episode on that disc.

I really meant to watch it after prime time TV was over, but I shut everything off and headed upstairs before I remembered I wanted to do that. I'll see it tomorrow and then start on disc 3.

Tomovoz

« Reply #186 on: May 11, 2008, 08:13:25 PM »

A happy day to all the Mothers and fond rememberences of all the Mothers that have left us.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #187 on: May 11, 2008, 08:14:12 PM »

*And I have to say, I completed enjoyed tonight's performance of Compleat Female Stage Beauty.  It's a very neat, thought-provoking play.  -The author also adapted his script for a film version that starred Claire Danes and Billy Crudup simply titled "Stage Beauty".

Here's the blurb-synopsis from the LAStageTix site:I had seen the play when it made it DC premiere a couple of years ago, and a friend of mine cast the premier production of it back in 1999 - and let me read the script back then too.  I really like this play, and was sort of surprised that this was the L.A. premiere of the play.  But better late than never.

The casting is top-notch, and the Actors really gave it their all and took some risks that paid off in spades.  I was also impressed with the Restoration/Modern Dress costuming concept - and there were some beautiful costume pieces.  -And some beautiful actors too - sometimes just in their underwear! ;)

DR PennyO really did a wonderful job with the musical component of the evening - even her pre-show announcement was lots of fun and helped to set the mood and time period for the evening.  And, yes, it was very good to see and hug her again too.  :)

Same to you, baby! What a great surprise!!! My only regret was that you got the regular (amateur) cellist, instead of her 'sub' - a superb professional (Russian) cellist. world of difference!!! I get him on Thursdays...
PennyO

Tomovoz

« Reply #188 on: May 11, 2008, 08:14:39 PM »

I visited lovely Nelson Bay last week.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

« Reply #189 on: May 11, 2008, 08:15:23 PM »

What a DELIGHTFUL surprise to find the guest star in one of the episodes was the ever gorgeous, ever swoon-worthy Bailey Chase (the actor who played the gay quarterback on SVU a couple of weeks ago).

He's a much better actor now than he was in 2000 when that episode was shot, but he was just as handsome and hunky back then. Of course, star David james Elliott towered over him.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #190 on: May 11, 2008, 08:15:25 PM »

Wow that sounds like a nice reunion between DRs Jose and PennyO!

It was heartwarming, I tell ya!
PennyO

Tomovoz

« Reply #191 on: May 11, 2008, 08:15:51 PM »

too many movies - too little time -

Avoid "Hideous Kinky" and "Charlie Wilson's War". If I'm not interested in anything in the first 15 minutes I'm not going to bother!
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

« Reply #192 on: May 11, 2008, 08:16:47 PM »

In the two part episode that ends disc 2, Terry O'Quinn (John Locke on LOST) was the guest star as an admiral on trial for war crimes during Vietnam.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #193 on: May 11, 2008, 08:17:32 PM »

That's great that DR Jose was able to see PennyO's show!

Wonderful pictures!

Yes, and it was so great that i was able to see my dear Jose! Felt like home...
PennyO

Matt H.

« Reply #194 on: May 11, 2008, 08:18:21 PM »

And, of course, the poor junior attorney and his wife lost their baby girl in childbirth. His trying  to get over his sense of loss and anger is obviously going to be a continual story line through much of the rest of the season.

Tomovoz

« Reply #195 on: May 11, 2008, 08:19:47 PM »

Hello DRs.

I'm not on line frequently at the moment.  We've had serious plumbing problems that have required cutting into floors and walls near the computers.  We have been without power at times and have also been avoiding dust etc from the work.  

It has not been quite going to the well and singing Casle in the Clouds - but it has not been far off it as our Autumn turns to Winter.
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

« Reply #196 on: May 11, 2008, 08:20:48 PM »

DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES:

Devil spawn Kayla deserved that slap (and much more). I've despised her ever since she was introduced last season, and though the writers had backed off from her during the first part of this season, we're now repeating the spoiled, evil child routine they used last season. I almost want to walk out of the room every time she comes on the screen.

Loved how Bree handled the Edie blackmail. Gaby story of not much interest to me. As for Katherine and her ex-husband, that's going to be an interesting storyline to play out in next week's two hour finale.

Matt H.

« Reply #197 on: May 11, 2008, 08:23:24 PM »

BROTHERS & SISTERS:

Lovely commitment ceremony, and the scene with Kevin and Scotty's parents was very dramatic. A nice cliffhanger to end the season with. Justin and Rebecca? I wasn't for it, but it might not be so bad. We'll see next season.

I have to admit I was a little surprised that one of Scotty's friends at the ceremony didn't catch Saul's eye to give him SOME kind of storyline for next season.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #198 on: May 11, 2008, 08:23:49 PM »

Wow - great review for Brain!! Huzzah and a half!

And now, to rest me weary old bones... sheesh, it's always such a surprise to see a photo of me looking almost-60, with that wild white hair... I'm thinking of aging gracefully...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #199 on: May 11, 2008, 08:24:12 PM »

And good night.
PennyO

Ginny

« Reply #200 on: May 11, 2008, 08:28:06 PM »

Just finished watching Enchanted - 'night!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #201 on: May 11, 2008, 08:36:14 PM »

I've got some writing to do, and then I'll head down to bed.

Good night!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #202 on: May 11, 2008, 08:42:05 PM »

Good Evening!

Who knew L.A. could be so much fun?  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #203 on: May 11, 2008, 08:43:36 PM »

Hope you get the chance to say hello to Pasadena Jay DR Jose. Please give him my best wishes.
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #204 on: May 11, 2008, 08:44:52 PM »

DR PennyO - Very gracefully.  :)

-And, seriously, I really loved the play last night.  -And once I realized that those Ralph Lauren Boxer Briefs that the lead was wearing were "on purpose", well, then everything else began to fall into place quite nicely. (For a couple of minutes, I just kept thinking to myself, "Why didn't the costume designer "hide" the label on the waistband?")  Bravo!  Brava!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #205 on: May 11, 2008, 08:45:59 PM »

Hope you get the chance to say hello to Pasadena Jay DR Jose. Please give him my best wishes.

I actually e-mailed him, but got no response.  -Do you have a possibly "updated" e-mail address for him?  -I would call him, but his phone number was "lost" when my previous cell phone died.
Make Your Own Luck.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #206 on: May 11, 2008, 09:00:10 PM »

DR Jose -- I might have his number on my OLD phone. I will have to charge it up to see if I have it.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #207 on: May 11, 2008, 09:03:46 PM »

Jose-

How was the concert and how was Dinner? Pictures Please!

The whole concert experience was quite wonderful.

Again, as I was walking up to the Disney Concert Hall, I was awed by the building itself.  Those sweeping and swooping steel panels just seem so right.  Once I was inside, it turned out there was a pre-concert lecture.  I sat in for a few minutes, but since I needed lunch, I headed on down to the Cafe.  What a neat place to eat, and the prices were very reasonable.  I had a very generously-portioned Poached Salmon salad - just $7.25!  *And since the WDCH is right near the Court House, they offer a discount for jurors during the week at the Cafe! ;)

As for the concert itself.... :)

When I bought my ticket, I had toyed with purchasing an "Orchestra View" seat - a seat on stage, behind the orchestra - but since there were soloists involved, I wanted to sit in front of the orchestra.  Well, I guess I must have mumbled, "I'd rather sit in the balcony", and found myself in the Orchestra View Section seated right behind the String Bass section.  I was a bit worried that the sound would be compromised, but it turned out that I had nothing to worry about.  It was also fascinating to watch Essa-Pekka Salonen conduct - he truly has great "stick technique".

The first half of the concert was devoted to Hindemith's "Mathis der Maler Symphony".  A lot of time Hindemith can come across a bit dry and academic - as DR JMK can attest to - but this was not the case this afternoon.  And by sitting so close to the orchestra, the clarity of the orchestration was practically crystalline.

During intermission, I went ahead and scouted out some empty seats in the Terrace Level, and was able to "legally" make the move for the second half of the concert.  -I went and asked an usher if it would be OK for me to change seats, and she pulled up a print out of the empty seats and told me where I could sit!  Now that's COOL!

Mahler's "Das Lied von der Erde" comprised the second half of the concert.  What a beautiful, emotional and moving piece of music.  The two vocal soloists did a fine job, although I felt that the afternoon belonged to the mezzo-soprano - I sensed a bit of fatigue in the tenor's voice, he just wasn't "pinging" over the orchestra.  But, all in all, it was an ideal way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

-And the inside of the concert hall is another stunner - including the very funky arrangement of the organ pipes.  I think I would have picked a more subdued color scheme for the upholstery -  it's all bright oranges, reds, greens - but it works well with all the blond wood. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #208 on: May 11, 2008, 09:07:59 PM »

I actually e-mailed him, but got no response.  -Do you have a possibly "updated" e-mail address for him?  -I would call him, but his phone number was "lost" when my previous cell phone died.
His email that I have was still valid on his last birthday - It is on my old PC.  I'll be able to locate it - but not until the old pc is up and running.
I'll PM the phone number Jose
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 09:12:25 PM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #209 on: May 11, 2008, 09:14:13 PM »

After spending a good chunk of time in the Concert Hall Gift Shop, I headed on down to 1st and Hill St. to hop on the 10 Bus to get to Genghis Cohen...

In a word: YUM!!!!!

In another word: FULL!!!!

It truly was some of the best Chinese food I've ever had.  Well-seasoned, non-greasy, and with a few non-traditional twists that explain the "Cohen" part of the restaurants name.  -Frankly, I'm surprised a place like Geghis Cohen hasn't opened in NYC.

And the company was great too!  BK and I were joined by the very entertaining and "historic" Walter Willison.  It turns out that Walter's main assistant for his Theatre World work is a friend of mine, so we had plenty to talk about.  And we talked about a lot of other stuff tonight too.  I'm sure there were ears a-plenty burning on both coasts.

I think the food selections were as follows: Cohen Slaw & Pickles, Cold Sesame Noodles, Steamed Vegetable Potstickers, Orange Peel Chicken, Garlic Chicken, and Szechuan Green Beans(!!!).

-Surprisingly, by the time the busboy came to collect the plates, all that was left has a small spoonful of the Garlic Chicken, and a couple of the String Beans.  ;)

*Yes, pictures were taken, and will be posted once I get them resized. :)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up