Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE PARAGRAPH ABOVE  (Read 26218 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE PARAGRAPH ABOVE
« on: February 11, 2004, 12:03:48 AM »

Well, you've read all the paragraphs and therefore you are in the know, with it, happening and therefore let us all post until the cows come home, shall we?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2004, 12:02:01 AM by bk »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:THE PARAGRAPH ABOVE
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2004, 12:28:18 AM »

Yesterday (about 2 hours ago), I wrote, in part:

I have a question...an early Ask BK & DR Question Day because tomorrow morning I'm driving a friend to the airport and won't come back until after I've done some window shopping at South Center in Renton in Seattle.

Jed wrote:
George - I had no idea that Renton was now in Seattle.  How informative these posts are! :D

Then TCB wrote:
Jed, be nice.  George knows best.  George works in a liberry.

Let me respond:

Jed, oops (that's spoo spelled backwards)! ::)  I forgot "and then" before the last "in."

TCB, the ONLY correct misspelling of "library" is "libary."  "Liberry," although phonetically correct, is incorrect in its attempt at humorous incorrectness.  ;D

And just so that I officially ask my question on Ask BK (& Dear Reader) Day, here it is again, since I'm going to be out of town (I rephrased it a bit to make more sense):
What's the best way to store champagne?  Tonight I bought a bottle of Dom Perignon Vintage 1995 (from Costco...I figure I couldn't get it any cheaper anywhere) for my parents' 40th wedding anniversary, which will be in June.  Should it be refrigerated, just kept cool or at room temperature?  What about when it's served (in June)?  Any information or website links will be most appreciated.

And most importantly, will it last until June??

And Bruce, as global administrator, can you tell how many times a message has been previewed or modified...or just that someone is in the process?  I live to preview and modify. ;D
« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 12:37:04 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2004, 04:05:05 AM »

I should think that storing the champagne in a cool place should be fine.  Preferably on it's side, the same as any wine, so that the cork stays wet.  A day or two before the celebration, pop it in the refrigerator to chill.  Do not allow the bubbly to freeze, as that will distroy the bubbles.

If it is your parent's 40th anniversary, why are you buying champagne that is "cheap"?  This is one of the occasions that deserves quality, and that means spending money.  (Cheap champagne is for celebrations where you're pouring for people who you don't really know and probably won't know the difference, like for a New Years Eve party at a bar.)  I would suggest checking out a reputable wine merchant, explaining the situation, and setting a limit on how much you want to spend.  He (or she) should be able to help you find the best buy.

I'll see what I can find in the way of websites.  There's correct ways to open a bottle, finding the right glasses (Bugs Bunny jelly glasses are not right for the occasion), lots of other things worth learning about on the subject.  But I will spout some heresy here, because the most important thing is that your parents enjoy the champagne.  Snobbery be damned.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 04:10:50 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2004, 04:19:54 AM »

I think DR George meant that he bought his expensive wine at a bargain price, DR SWW, not that he bought cheap champagne.  I don't know from what about Champagne....but a 1995 Dom Perignon probably wasn't cheap!

My question in my second paragraph with no reference to my first paragraph or the parties thereto herewith to wit is as follows:

Mr BK - if you could have created as a performer a role in a classic Broadway musical (without the constraints of time, age, sex, etc) which role would it be, and why?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2004, 04:20:40 AM »

This post is about last night's AMERICAN IDOL:

DR Jose wrote:
Oh, I guess AI is tape-delayed for the West Coast - so how long do the phone lines really stay open then?

I believe they stay up for 2 hours after the show airs in each time zone. But sometimes they can keep them open a bit longer.

DR also wrote:
And since is the first time I've watched the prelims - For the Wild Card round, can/do/have they brought back people from the screening rounds?  -Ones who didn't make it to the 117 or whatever number is was?  -If so, maybe the producers are saving some of those "favorites" for that round.

Well the first year I believe they only took people from the final 32. But last season they brought back a few that were from different rounds. One from the final 100+ and even one girl (I think it was carmen) who hadn't even gotten very far.

It's interesting because they chose FOUR from the wild card show. But I think they have more than eight people. They can bring back 10 or more.  I think it's great because they can really choose any people who didn't get by with the public's vote. And they can also see who the audience has responded to from the audition shows.

Yes DR Matt: Clay was in the same grouping as both Ruben and Kimberley Locke.

And I totally hope that Scooter girl returns. She is my favorite one!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 04:25:45 AM by Jennifer »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2004, 04:50:19 AM »

It wouldn't surprise me at all to find myself wrong about the cost of champagne.  Der Brucer is the one who really knows that stuff, not I, and he's doing a repeat grandladsit today and so is not available.  (My researching websites will clearly be for my own education, as well!)

But George's question has brought to mind something that hasn't been discussed here before.

Dear BK and esteemed DRs: What are your favorite drinking songs?

"The Night They Invented Champagne," from Gigi, has been ringing through my head for over an hour.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 04:52:58 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2004, 05:30:58 AM »

I like that song DRSWW...but there is of course the ever popular 99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall.

Michael

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2004, 05:36:02 AM »

Quick note from work. My internet access is down until Saturday. So I won't be around until then. If I have a free moment I will try to catch up on events.
Never stop dreaming.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2004, 05:59:53 AM »

But George's question has brought to mind something that hasn't been discussed here before.

Dear BK and esteemed DRs: What are your favorite drinking songs?

"The Night They Invented Champagne," from Gigi, has been ringing through my head for over an hour.

I must confess to being something of an operetta nerd. I love the Tipsy Waltz, from Offenbach's La Perichole; and Drink, Drink, Drink from The Studdent Prince; and Fin ch'an del vino, from Mozart's Don Giovanni (when it's not sung too fast, which, for some reason, most basses like to do - G&S patter song syndrome...).
PennyO

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2004, 06:01:35 AM »

Apropos of DRPennyO's selection - I particularly like the "Drinking Song" from  The Pleasant Peasant by Lucy Friml and Ethel Romberg!

In fact I like ALL those songs!  ;D
« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 06:04:18 AM by JRand53 »

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2004, 06:05:31 AM »

Oh, and before I forget AGAIN:

The York Theatre holds a Musicals in Mufti series each season. These presentations are staged readings with suggested production values (think Encores! on a budget), and the specialty is forgotten, neglected and cult musicals at the company's home The Theatre at Saint Peter's in Citigroup Center, 619 Lexington Avenue, at 54th Street.

Wouldn't we all love to see The First Nudie Musical become a dark horse hit, and take its place beside Mel B's movie-turned-Broadway-show? Seems to me with BK's DVD of the movie coming out, and all, this might be something The York'd want to do for next year's Mufti series. Those pieces are modestly staged, but with real honest-ta-gosh B'way talent, and good music directors, and lights and everything... Bruce m'dear, I would certainly talk to them about it.
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2004, 06:10:46 AM »

Apropos of DRPennyO's selection - I particularly like the "Drinking Song" from  The Pleasant Peasant by Lucy Friml and Ethel Romberg!

Hahahahahahahahaaaaaaaa!!!
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2004, 06:11:00 AM »

Hahahahahahahahaaaaaaaa!!!
PennyO

Jennifer

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2004, 06:20:12 AM »

Question about Juliana's journal. Why are we so behind again?  We're like 2 months behind. I love the journal (there is a new entry up). But I find I enjoy it more when we are current.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2004, 06:24:59 AM »

Penny - I've been posting about Mufti ever since BK has had this site.  The next season starts in mid-March with BEST FOOT FORWARD, FANNY and WEIRD ROMANCE.  They may not have an orchestra like Encores!, but they do the complete book, unlike Encores! which usually cuts the book to shreads, and they do it in half the rehearsal time.

Was I the only person who could not get into the message boards about 4:45 Eastern yesterday afternoon?  I got the notes, but when I clicked to get to the boards I got a message that said there were too many users.  I thought this wasn't supposed to happen on the new, upgraded board.

For Ask BK Day --- I'm thrilled you liked TRIPLETS as much as I did.  What do you think it's chances are to beat NEMO for the Animation Oscar®?  It got fantastic reviews, but NEMO was a lot more successful.  In any other year, NEMO would win hands down, but do you think the voters will go for artistic quality of higher grosses?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2004, 06:27:40 AM »

DR WEL - "The Greatest Show on Earth" beat "Singin' In the Rain" - what do you think?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2004, 06:48:28 AM »

After SPIRITED AWAY beat out the more popular and highly touted ICE AGE and LILO & STITCH last year, I'd say anything is possible, WEL.

Amazing, though, that Pixar has never won this award. True, it hasn't been in existence long, but you'd think one of their films would have won it. Pixar has won the Best Animated Short Oscar before.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2004, 06:50:12 AM »

Since we're talking animation, here are my questions for Ask BK Day:

1. What is your favorite pre-1960 Disney animated film?

2. What is your favorite post-1960 Disney animated film?

3. What is your favorite song from a Disney animated film?

4. Which do you think is the best animated film of all-time?

MBarnum

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2004, 07:12:29 AM »

Best pre-1960 Disney animated: BAMBI

Best post-1960 Disney animated: Finding Nemo

Favorite Disney animated song: April Showers from Bambi

Best animated: Hmmm...maybe Finding Nemo.

Back later with my BK question of the day.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2004, 07:13:44 AM »

First Ask BK question: What in tarnation am I doing up so early?  I have no idea.  But, welcome, early-morning denizens.

I think Nemo will squeak by because I think Pixar is beloved in a way that Disney and Fox weren't for Ice Age and Lilo and Stitch.  But, anything IS possible.  Unless they got Belleville to voting members I don't think it has any chance.  If they DID get DVDs or cassettes, then maybe, although unlike Spirited Away, this might be just a bit to outre for the Academy voter.

I do not know how to store champagne.

Juliana has sent a few more entries and we'll get them up as we can.  Craig is very busy and so is Juliana.  So, the trick is, pay no attention to the dates and just enjoy.

Drinking song: Does The Ladies Who Lunch count?  That would be my favorite.

Nudie at the York.  It wouldn't qualify as a Mufti, but they certainly might do it at one of their "new musical" readings.  Certainly for a reading that would be fine so perhaps I'll call Jim Morgan.

Pre 60s animated film: Preface by saying these were not my favorite films growing up - and I presume you mean full-lenth.  So, maybe Peter Pan in terms of the entertainment value I got out of it as a kid.  For artistic merit - Snow White.

Post 60s: Difficult.  I'm very fond of Beauty and the Beast and The Little Mermaid, but they don't have huge repeatability for me because of the plot devices which become tiresome on repeated viewings.  But they're both beautifully done.  

Favorite song from a Disney film - Belle.  It's just a wonderful opener with a great tune.  And Part of Your World is nice, too.  Of the classic period films, I'd say The Second Star to the Right and When You Wish Upon a Star.

Best of all time: Heavens.  One has to take into account so many things, but Snow White, because without it who knows where animation would have gone.

Jennifer

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2004, 07:16:51 AM »

I would be shocked if Finding Nemo lost. It wasn't just popular but it was widely acclaimed. Even by just reading what BK said about the two animated films, I'd say he raved much more about Nemo.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2004, 07:24:11 AM »

Favorite drinking song:  the "Brindisi" from Verdi's La Traviata.

I should note that I am very happy to have a soulmate now on this site (at least as far as musical tastes are concerned) in Dear Reader PennyO.  This despite the fact that she repeats herself.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 07:43:00 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2004, 07:30:33 AM »

People who repeat themselves are excellent.  People who repeat themselves are excellent, too.

MBarnum

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2004, 07:36:36 AM »

Uh, oh. Finding Nemo isn't a Disney film is it. Well, I had better change my favorites list above then.

Hmmm...post 1960s Disney favorite...the only one that I have seen is that Robin Hood one in the 1970s. So unless THE BRAVE LITTLE TOASTER was a Disney film I guess Robin Hood would have to be my pick.

MBarnum

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2004, 07:38:42 AM »

My BK/DR question of the day:

What are your favorite 1950s B Sci/fi or horror films.

Who are your favorite 1950s B actors and actresses.

MBarnum

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2004, 07:40:42 AM »

I am making another post post haste because I just noticed that my last post was number 666...and it spooked me!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2004, 07:41:19 AM »

Penny - I've been posting about Mufti ever since BK has had this site.  The next season starts in mid-March with BEST FOOT FORWARD, FANNY and WEIRD ROMANCE...

Weird Romance is a favorite of mine, even though I've never seen it.  Great songs, great scripts (given that it is two one-act plays).  I really wish der Brucer hadn't loaned our CD to the director of a theater we were associated with, because said director never returned it.  She tended to book seasons at the theater according to reputation, not according to the quality of the work, sound unheard.  Which explains why she booked Bed and Sofa, which has won awards from people who don't know better.  Making this more salt in the wound is that the CD of Weird Romance is now out of print.  Bleh.

For Ask BK Day --- I'm thrilled you liked TRIPLETS as much as I did.  What do you think it's chances are to beat NEMO for the Animation Oscar®?  It got fantastic reviews, but NEMO was a lot more successful.  In any other year, NEMO would win hands down, but do you think the voters will go for artistic quality of higher grosses?
I don't think the grosses are the key factor here.  I do, however, think the opinion of animators has some weight, and the Annies, held at the Alex Theater in Glendale, this year gave their top award to Finding Nemo, just as last year they gave the nod to Spirited Away.  It's too soon to tell, of course, whether the Annies are the clear signal on the Best Animation Oscar, since that award hasn't been around for very long, but my guess is that it's Pixar's year this time.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2004, 07:55:53 AM »

Favorite b-sci fi from the 50s: Queen of Outer Space, Target Earth, The Incredible Shrinking Man, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (the latter two aren't Bs, but they ARE low budget), Horrors of the Black Museum, and hundreds of others.  Favorite cheesefests: Plan Nine from Outer Space, Beginning of the End, The Amazing Colossal Man, War of the Colossal Beast, Attack of the 50 Foot Woman, It Conquered the World and hundreds of others.

I like Grant Williams, Allison Hayes, Dudley Manlove, Morris Ankrum, and many others.

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2004, 07:57:55 AM »

I posted a message at BK and Nick's DVD PLACE about this, but I want to bring it up here for those of us who do buy DVDs.

It was announced at the first of the week that Fox will be releasing MASTER & COMMANDER on a 2 disc DVD set priced at $39.95. I think this may be the first mainstream DVD sell through release at this inflated price point. (Criterion sells their discs for more, but they're specialized and of limited print runs.) Fox is selling a single disc pan and scan version of the film for $29.95.

During the laserdisc era, Fox was notorious about overcharging for their wares: $50 for a single disc release and $70 for movies that spread to two discs. Are they starting this same stuff up again on DVD? Just wondering what others thought about this.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2004, 07:59:58 AM »

1. What is your favorite pre-1960 Disney animated film?

I wish I could say Fantasia, but that film is really a series of shorts, with no single vision throughout.  (This is also why I have to disqualify Fantasia 2000 from consideration on the second question, much as I admire some of it's sections.)

When the word "favorite" is used, my pick is Sleeping Beauty.  Visually, it is one of the most intriguing, and I love the music.

2. What is your favorite post-1960 Disney animated film?

Beauty and the Beast.  There is only one point in the telling of the tale that I think they faltered, the moment when Gaston reacts to Belle's rejection and decides he has to have revenge on the Beast.  An extra beat or two would showing his hurt, and then his decision for revenge, would have made the film perfect.

3. What is your favorite song from a Disney animated film?

The best animated song in the canon is "Circle of Life," one of the best opening numbers ever presented.  But my favorite song is "You'll Be In My Heart," from Tarzan, one of the best love songs written in years.  Collins deserved to win that Oscar.

4. Which do you think is the best animated film of all-time?

Ah, a different qualifying word, "best."  (You have no idea how much I want to write South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut.   ;D)  Here, I'm going to have to say The Lion King.  It is a fully realized film, admirable in almost every way.  It's just not my favorite.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up