Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE PARAGRAPH ABOVE  (Read 26193 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:THE PARAGRAPH ABOVE
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2004, 09:39:57 AM »

just google unclaimed property and then go to California....Mr Grant Williams left over $9000 in a savings/checking account!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2004, 09:46:51 AM »

Jennifer, I am quasi-obssessed with germs...I think it comes from my father who was always opening public bathrooms with his elbows and telling us kids not to touch anything while there.  I don't really go crazy about it,  but public restrooms I use as little as possible and am as fastidious as possible when I have to use them.  I do get more conscious during cold and flu season and usually carry a small bottle of hand sanitizer with me...try to avoid escalator handrails, bathroom doors, incessant coughers.   I'm also fairly careful on airplanes...and I've start using the sanitary wet wipes that Gelson's provides to wipe off the push-rail of the shopping cart or carrier of the basket.

I heard a biochemist once on a radio show relate how he was on a plane once and, for fun, took out a small germ-detecting kit he had and tested the tray-table.  He found it rife with germs...including traces of fecal matter.

But you really can't obsess about it or you'll go crazy.  I mean both my pets are allowed on any piece of furniture in the house and the dog sleeps with us and the cat visits.

In fact, we may be getting too obsessive as a nation.  All these anti-bacterial soaps are overdoing it, because they are also destroying good bacteria that we need.

And there is an opinion that one of the reasons we see an increase of kids with allergies and other chronic sicknesses is that we are simply protecting them too much...so they do not built up a tolerance and a natural immunization from these things.  So next time, it's okay for your kid to snuggle with the dog or eat a little dirt.  It won't kill him and it may build up his immune system.

MBarnum

« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2004, 10:00:42 AM »

Ha, ha JRand53, this is fun....

Warner Bros. owes Ken Clark $44.16

Wells Fargo owes Ed Fury $25.00

and Security Pacific National Bank owes Joi Lansing a $314.38.

Can you tell I am bored today! Ha!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2004, 10:04:26 AM »

Good afternoon!

Well, I tried to get up early - I even sat up and listened to NPR this morning from 7:30-8:00-ish, but I didn't end up getting out of bed until around 11:15-ish, so...  Ah, well...  I guess I needed the rest after my weekend in Memphis...  In any case, I'll hit the grocery store this afternoon and begin stocking up on "approved" foods... of course, as I mentioned yesterday, I still have a stockpile of "unapproved" foods in my cupboards, but I plan to bake them off and then send them off over the next couple of days.

DR SWW - Cool and dark are the key words when it comes to champagne storage.  Also, a "vibration free" zone is essential - nothing on top of a fridge, next to a washing machine, etc.  Wine Spectator's web-site should have some good info.  And you could also just call a local wine merchant for advice.  Additionally, some places will store champagne for you in their "lockers" for you - even if you didn't buy the champagne from them.  -On a personal note, I'm particularly fond of the various "tiers" of Veuve Cliquot champagnes - even their "cheap" line is quite good... and their Rose Champagne is perfect for Valentine's Day, or any other celebration - or non-celebration.  ;)

As for animated films -

Classic Disney - Cinderella - not sure right now it's if pre- or post- 1960, but that's my favorite for sentimental reasons.

I need to think about the other categories.
Make Your Own Luck.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2004, 10:15:05 AM »

FINDING NEMO was produced by Pixar, but released (both to theatres and home video) by Disney.  Pixar has not renewed their contract with Disney, and after the next two films, they will be releasing them somewhere else.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jennifer

« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2004, 10:35:11 AM »

Jennifer, I cannot see why Scooter Girl would not return, they invested far too much time on her in the prelim episodes not to bring her back.  What I can't understand is why she was dropped in the first place, she delivered each time they asked her and was so heads and shoulders above most of the present finalists.  And she was damned entertaining.  The only thing to worry about is whether her apparent incipient bi-polarness will implode on her...

Well, I wouldn't get your hopes about Scooter Girl returning. Although it did make me mad that they got rid of her (when as you say she delivered each time), yet they kept some people who gave horrible auditions/forgot lines ...

The thing is the wild card show is mostly about taking people from the top 32 who aren't chosen by the public.  They will have somewhere between 8-12 people on that episode.  And almost all, save maybe 2 will be from the top 32.

I agree they did spend a lot of time showing Scooter Girl. One thing that bothers me is that the judges chose the top 32 before any of the audition shows were aired (meaning they had no idea who the public would respond to).

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2004, 10:39:29 AM »

I think Scooter Girl will be back.  Marketing, people, marketing.

Hey, I'm a geezer--can any of you young 'un's recommend a shareware (as in free--I'm a CHEAP geezer) .WAV file recorder.  Since I only recently updated to the late 20th century and finally have a CD burner on my computer, I want to transfer a bunch of my live performances on casette onto CD and I'm assuming I'll have to record them in .WAV format first.  If this cheap and easy software (hmmmm....) also included editing and mixing capabilities, that would be a bonus!!

Thanks.  "Granpa" JMK
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jennifer

« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2004, 10:43:29 AM »

Re: germs

It's weird, but I never used to care.

Now, like I said, I Purrell a lot at home. But for some reason I don't do any of the things DR CharlesPogue mentioned. I use public restrooms. I touch escalator handrails. And I've never really thought twice about it.

And the funny thing is I see those people in the restrooms who are using their elbows to get paper towels and open doors. And I always thought they were nuts :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2004, 10:47:25 AM »

DRPANNI - I bet your grandmother's I LOVE LUCY episodes were great.  Sometimes I turn off the sound and watch the closed captions....it's a whole new LUCY and just as hilarious.  Whoever does those captions has a great sense of humor!

Hey MBARNUM - Ed Fury could use that $25!

JMK check with George Snow - I bet he knows some great computer ware to do your transferring!  I haven't begun my LP to CD transfers, but I will someday....

I love "Sleeping Beauty" and "The Little Mermaid" among the Disney animated films - most of the rest of them, I am not fond of.

BK as J Pierpont Finch is a great idea!  Rip rip rip the chipmonks off the field!!!!!!!!!!1

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2004, 11:02:19 AM »

Jennifer, true, last year the wild card picks were mostly from the top 32...or maybe all of them were... But I noticed that Ryan was very specific last night about saying that the wild cards could be picked from ANY phase of the competition.  And, again, I think  Scooter Girl just wowed too many people with her antics, personality, and her voice.  I was so disappointed she didn't make it, that they almost lost me as a viewer.  And most of last night's contestants, as Simon said were safe and bland, a boring, boring group...for the most part.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2004, 11:06:00 AM »

Oh DR MBarnum - I just checked the Cinemax listings... If I had the multiplex channels, I'd be able to record it today at 4:20pm.  But since I don't, I've set my VCR for 7:20am Friday morning for THE LAST WAGON.  -And I hope the quality of my VCR is good enough for you... I'll at least tape at SP. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2004, 11:09:06 AM »

Oh, I might as chime in on Scooter Girl too... I liked her voice, but as the judges pointed out, it's not truly a "pop voice"... well, at least the type of voice they're looking to find on AI.  And her persona just kind of creeped me out at times.  She'd be one of those people I'd cast only if I had no other choice. ;)  They could bring her back, but I doubt she'd get passed on.  Just my two cents.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2004, 11:15:21 AM »

hmmm.. Breaking news on my TV right now... Two post offices closed down in nearby Petersburg, VA, due to a suspicious "white powder"... Crazy world...  Let's hope it's just talcum.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2004, 11:24:42 AM »

Suspicious white powder?  Could be ZBT!  ;D

« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 11:25:06 AM by JRand53 »

JMK

« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2004, 11:25:28 AM »

Was Liza there?  ;)

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2004, 11:29:52 AM »

Since BK has annexed Mimsy and JR and I have dibs on some other person, obsessions about Farmers are now limited to Frank (FF's nephew with quite a string of credits of his own--includling lifting Liz Taylor up on the bar in "Butterfield 6" or "8" or whatever the heck it's called) and the Farmer in the Dell, with, perhaps tangentially, Ma and Pa Kettle (they were farmers, weren't they?).
DR Jose and I get dibs on Fanny Farmer.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2004, 11:45:33 AM »

I'm so proud. I just realized this morning that I've stupidly been writing up a storm and not backing it up on disk. (I'm just getting used to my new office set-up and there are so many things that I just did without thinking in the old office 'cause I was used to having things work a certain way. Now I have to think. That's a tall order.) But when I tried to make my Super Disk Drive work, it just lay there like so much fish. I replugged everything - and still nothing but halibut. Finally I came up with an extraordinarily complex technical solution: I picked up the Super Disk Drive and whacked it against the desk three or four times. And guess what I heard? That pleasant little whirling noise which means LIFE. So now my writing is backed up and I'm a happy camper.

Jennifer

« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2004, 11:47:24 AM »

Jennifer, true, last year the wild card picks were mostly from the top 32...or maybe all of them were... But I noticed that Ryan was very specific last night about saying that the wild cards could be picked from ANY phase of the competition.  And, again, I think  Scooter Girl just wowed too many people with her antics, personality, and her voice.  I was so disappointed she didn't make it, that they almost lost me as a viewer.  And most of last night's contestants, as Simon said were safe and bland, a boring, boring group...for the most part.

Last year I remember a couple of girls who were not in the top 32 coming back for the wild card. Maybe even 3. But the only one who went far was blonde Carmen.

I think it would be a marketing plus (as was pointed out). I've seen Scooter Girl on Entertainment tonight a couple of times.

It's interesting, but I also loved her. I was drawn to her bubbly personality and story.  And I was also very upset that they cut her.

It's interesting though to read DR Jose's view.  But I just have a feeling that the public would vote her in.

And I agree, most of what we saw last night was bland. I hate that there were so many great people in the top 100+. And this is what we got :(

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2004, 11:48:33 AM »

Ah ha! DRPANNI - so you were fooled by their undercover disguises as well!  LOL...they were actually subversives working in the employ of an unnamed world power.  Subtle.....
I always thought they tipped their hand a bit in the episode "Lucy Goes to Scotland," when they were revealed to be a two-headed dragon.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2004, 11:51:05 AM »

Ah DRSWW - you have a sharp eye!  Have you ever seen the color home movies somebody made on the set of that episode?  That Dragon costume and all those kilts were beautiful!  

Jennifer

« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2004, 11:54:00 AM »

OMG DR Panni: You almost gave me a heart attack, thinking your work wasn't saved on disk.  Glad that worked out.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2004, 11:55:00 AM »

All these anti-bacterial soaps are overdoing it, because they are also destroying good bacteria that we need.

Since I have always been prone to catching colds and just about everything else, I am a bit obsessive about washing my hands.  Now I rarely get colds (I’m not including the last six months of my life in this statement).  I only disinfect the house when one of us has something major going on.  I must admit I’m not around children much anymore & that might have more to do with not getting sick than anything.

Jane

« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2004, 12:05:53 PM »

MBarnum I see you found the link.  You and JRand53 remind me I still need to claim my father’s money.

Disney may not be Disney much longer if a hostile takeover happens.  :o

Jennifer I am one of those people, when possible, who use their elbows to take a paper towel, and I then use the towel to touch everything else including the door on my way out.  ;D

Panni I can’t believe you just whacked your disk drive-that’s a riot.

Tomovoz

« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2004, 12:05:54 PM »

Disney:
Pre 1960 "Lady & The Tramp"
Post 1960 "The Hunchback Of Notre Dame"
Song: "Someone's Waiting For You" (The Rescuers)
Best: "Fantasia"

Honourable mention: "The Sword In The Stone".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

MBarnum

« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2004, 12:11:47 PM »

Oh DR MBarnum - I just checked the Cinemax listings... If I had the multiplex channels, I'd be able to record it today at 4:20pm.  But since I don't, I've set my VCR for 7:20am Friday morning for THE LAST WAGON.  -And I hope the quality of my VCR is good enough for you... I'll at least tape at SP. ;)

Thank you very, very much! Can't wait to see that movie again and add it to my Ken Clark collection of motion picture entertainments...right up there with his films Attack of the Giant Leeches and Hercules Against the Mongels!

Tomovoz

« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2004, 12:16:02 PM »

Drinking Song: "More Hot Pies" - Sweeney Todd.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jennifer

« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2004, 12:22:35 PM »

I'd be interested to hear what people do to disinfect their houses.  I'm sure I should be washing my phone/keyboard ... much more than I do.

There must be sprays for these sorts of things.

Btw, I am very bothered by perfumes, and I've had to give away my last two bottles of Purrell type disinfectants because the smells bothered me too much :(
« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 12:24:29 PM by Jennifer »

Tomovoz

« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2004, 12:32:44 PM »

Thanks for the note re parcel MBarnum. I had an e-mail from Rhino today to tell me that a parcel had been posted - it arrived yesterday!  Postmarked February 7 and I received it on the Feb 10. The company is always very efficient but that is a record. (well no not really - it was 2 CDs).  Despite their efficiency, the order is for a friend who can never seem to log on to their site!
JRand: Watch your mail - but not until next week! Posting is to happen in 90 minutes time.
James Thurber 1957

Jane

« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2004, 12:45:24 PM »

Jennifer an environmentally friendly cleaner like Simple Green should be fine.  Find one that smells nice to you. For special occasions use a disinfectant that doesn’t smell too bad.  We, (I should say Keith since I’m allergic) have been cleaning the keyboard & phones with rubbing alcohol.  But if you don’t share the keyboard and you aren’t sick, then you don’t need to disinfect it.  When Keith had the flu I admit to using Clorox Up.  That along with sprays are so bad for the environment I hate to use them, plus they make me sick.

JMK

« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2004, 12:51:17 PM »

DR Jose and I get dibs on Fanny Farmer.

Of course, how stupid of me!!  Someone once said, "I'm not Fanny Farmer, y'know," but for the life of me, I can't remember who.   ???

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up