Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: DUO-VISION  (Read 28197 times)

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
Re:DUO-VISION
« Reply #210 on: June 08, 2008, 09:06:43 PM »

I took my godson and his family to see a great show at the Puppetry Arts Center today. It was written and directed by Jon Ludwig, a local guy who puts on amazing shows, often very dark. It was based on the CINDERELLA story, but also included Jules Verne, P.T. Barnum, a unizebra (half unicorn, half zebra) a character who could stretch to the moon, a mermaid, a trapeze artist fish, a stuttering elephant, a bear riding a unicycle, and a posse of very vain princes. Cinderella fell in love with Prince Charming's cousin, Pierrot, who was sort of the court jester. It was performed by 4 puppeteers operating marionettes and shadow puppets, and it was delightful. Even Quinn's 2 year old sister was entralled!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 09:14:32 PM by Edisaurus »
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #211 on: June 08, 2008, 09:09:16 PM »

Afterwards, the puppeteers explained how everything in the show worked and how they operated everything. Then we participated in a puppet-making workshop, where the kids put together elephant shadow puppets and used materials to personalize them. Quinn is very creative and didn't want to make the elephant, so he made his own ladybug puppet with moving mouth and wings.

Then we all went out to dinner---a fun day.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Cillaliz

« Reply #212 on: June 08, 2008, 09:09:39 PM »

FOOD NETWORK STAR ELIMINATION THOUGHT

No real spoilers here, but just in case, i left some space :)   - I must say the little bit of drama on Food Network Star was most entertaining and exciting.  Not happy with how it was dealt with in the final cut, though.

Which part weren't you happy with?  What was said or who was eliminated.   I thought the person eliminated needed to go. The one causing the drama won't last, imho

Cillaliz

« Reply #213 on: June 08, 2008, 09:10:31 PM »

I know that. They aren't limited in the early rounds but seem to give up on words more quickly than I would expect.

Got ya. On the other hand if your mind is blank on a word, better to pass and get to something you may have a better chance on

JulieC40

• Always keep your options open!
« Reply #214 on: June 08, 2008, 09:11:24 PM »

Well, I'm off to bed.  Night, everyone...sweet dreams!

Cillaliz

« Reply #215 on: June 08, 2008, 09:12:25 PM »

Sounds like fun Edi

Edisaurus

« Reply #216 on: June 08, 2008, 09:13:39 PM »

After the family stopped by our house to pick up various goodies, we realized that we had time to go to a late movie. We had about a half hour to kill so we turned on the TV and caught part of THE FACULTY, which was airing on the Encores channel. We didn't know what was going on but got sucked in pretty quickly, and we got to see Jon Stewart's final scene and a few more after that.

Then we went to see SURFWISE, a documentary about a disfunctional family of Jewish surfers. It originally showed at our Jewish Film Festival but I missed it then. I'm glad it's getting a theatrical release; it was really interesting and the music score, editing and camera work was excellent.
(The location sound was not, but, oh well...)

Cillaliz

« Reply #217 on: June 08, 2008, 09:14:50 PM »

I decided to make my plane reservations tonight for the trip to DC even though they say I'm not officially in until my payment has been approved (no reason it shouldn't be) and I knew this was the last day on a really good sale on Midwest Airlines direct flight from Omaha.   So, I tried and tried and tried but couldn't get on the Midwest site.  I got the ticket through Orbitz, but had to pay the fee.  Anyway, I think they shut down because the sale ends at midniight.  I'm really curious to see what the same flight will cost tomorrow.  I bet it will be A LOT higher as this sale was going before the last several jumps in oil prices

Edisaurus

« Reply #218 on: June 08, 2008, 09:18:39 PM »

Looking forward to seeing Cillaliz in an updated avatar with current hair color.
(Not "currant" haircolor!)

Cillaliz

« Reply #219 on: June 08, 2008, 09:21:45 PM »

My next decision is whether to stay at the Doubletree or the Hyatt Regency in Bethesda.  They are the two pick up places for our free taxi service to the 4-H national conference center where we will be having our classes.

I'm also thinking that I will pack as light as humanly possible and take the metro from DCA to the hotel. Looks like the Hyatt is right on the metro. Not so sure about the Doubletree

Any thoughts from those who know DC?

Cillaliz

« Reply #220 on: June 08, 2008, 09:22:35 PM »

Looking forward to seeing Cillaliz in an updated avatar with current hair color.
(Not "currant" haircolor!)

It's not much different that the avatar.  I tried to make it much different, but for some reason, I just can't make it happen.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #221 on: June 08, 2008, 09:49:18 PM »

Finished watching a motion picture and shall now just try to relax until it's notes time.

Cillaliz

« Reply #222 on: June 08, 2008, 10:00:05 PM »

JulieC - thanks for asking about the flooding...it isn't where I am, but there is pretty serious flooding not too far from here.  

Cillaliz

« Reply #223 on: June 08, 2008, 10:23:46 PM »

Good night...time for me to get some sleep

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #224 on: June 08, 2008, 10:25:57 PM »

Being very lazy.  Nice.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #225 on: June 08, 2008, 10:26:09 PM »

Nice.  Being very lazy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #226 on: June 08, 2008, 10:26:33 PM »

Welcome nine GUESTS.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #227 on: June 08, 2008, 10:29:03 PM »

Are we really doing a reading of Nudie Musical tomorrow night.  I'm a wee bit nervous about the people doing songs who haven't run them with me, but we'll make it through and I'll be prepared to jump in if need be.  I think Sharon McNight is coming a half hour early to run hers.  Alet won't be able to get there early, and I haven't heard from Beth Malone whether she'll be able to, although she's at least had a tape to work with for over a week.

MBarnum

« Reply #228 on: June 08, 2008, 10:35:02 PM »

I have returned from Memphis, by way of Texas.

I will now go and climb into bed with Bosco and Freddy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #229 on: June 08, 2008, 10:42:06 PM »

My next decision is whether to stay at the Doubletree or the Hyatt Regency in Bethesda.  They are the two pick up places for our free taxi service to the 4-H national conference center where we will be having our classes.

I'm also thinking that I will pack as light as humanly possible and take the metro from DCA to the hotel. Looks like the Hyatt is right on the metro. Not so sure about the Doubletree

Any thoughts from those who know DC?

DR Cillaliz - Yep, the Hyatt Regency sits right on top of the Bethesda Station (Red Line).  The Doubletree is a few blocks away from the Bethesda Medical Center stop (also on the Red Line - it's the next stop after Bethesda), and I believe they offer a free shuttle too.   In either case, you'll have to take Blue Line train from DCA heading towards Franconia-Springfield, then transfer at Metro Center to a Red Line train going toward Shady Grove.

Metrorail System Map
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #230 on: June 08, 2008, 10:42:37 PM »

Welcome home, DR MBarnum!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #231 on: June 08, 2008, 10:42:49 PM »

~~~~~VIBES TO DR JENNIFER~~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #232 on: June 08, 2008, 11:08:33 PM »

Getting very tired.  And a very long day ahead of me tomorrow.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #233 on: June 08, 2008, 11:08:51 PM »

Guess I'll write Ye Olde Notes in about fifteen minutes, then get to bed.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #234 on: June 08, 2008, 11:16:19 PM »

And I shall read Ye Olde Notes in the morning.

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #235 on: June 09, 2008, 12:01:09 AM »

Earlier today Yesterday afternoon, I bought some blank mini-DVDs for no other reason than they were on sale.  They're mainly for DVD camcorders and hold about 20 minutes on XP or 60 minutes on LP.  I have a mini-laserdisc called "The Manhattan Transfer - The Singles I."  It's essentially four songs taken from their live from Japan in 1986 concert.  It's about 18 minutes total.  I didn't know if the mini-DVD would work with my DVD burner but it did!  I don't really have anything else to record onto these mini-DVDs, but if I do, I'll be ready. ;)

George, be very careful today!  I read that several dealerships have Cadillac Esplanades on sale this week.  DON'T buy one, just because it is on sale.

Thanks for the tip!  However, I don't think that I'll be getting any Cadillac Esplanades anytime soon...they're just a little out of my price range. ;)

« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 12:02:57 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #236 on: June 09, 2008, 12:01:40 AM »

I did, however, buy a new light fixture for my extra bedroom.  I had a light fixture with a fan in there, but the pull-chain to turn the fan off and on was missing, so the fan always turned on when the light was also (they must've had a thing for each other ;)).  Anyway, I took down the fan/light fixture and put up a brushed aluminum light (only...no fan) fixture.  However, with the color of the walls (chocolate brown) and the black shelves that I had in there, it was completely wrong for the room, so I took it all down, repacked it carefully and took it back.  I then bought another fixture that was more appropriate for the color scheme.  It's soooo much nicer!  I'm very happy with it.  And I'm so glad I finally got rid of that fan.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #237 on: June 09, 2008, 12:14:25 AM »

But think of all the CDs he could buy with the money he saved!

der Brucer

That's a much better idea!! :D

George

« Reply #238 on: June 09, 2008, 12:15:04 AM »

With George's IKEA sensibilities and trusty tool box, I suspect he'd buy an Esplanade kit!

If someone else wants to buy it, I'll put it together.

;)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up