« Reply #300 on: July 12, 2008, 10:26:33 PM »

YES WE CAN!!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:ADO
« Reply #301 on: July 12, 2008, 10:27:11 PM »

Do you feel better now, DR FJL?  Will you be able to sleep?  Or has Page 12 started beckoning to you?
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #302 on: July 12, 2008, 10:32:58 PM »

The twelve waits beckoning, beckoning...zzzzzzz

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #303 on: July 12, 2008, 10:43:06 PM »

bk - Tell me more, tell me more!
Make Your Own Luck.

Mark

• What is it, Wellington?
« Reply #304 on: July 12, 2008, 10:58:28 PM »

Oh what a night. BK graciously allowed me to slip into Friday's rehearsal of the new Kevin Spirtas/Sean McDermott show he's directing and it was a blast from start to finish, even though there was not one Finnish song in the entire show. I shall not get too specific, lest I spoil it for those who might be attending the East Coast premiere, but the show's concept is quite clever, the guys are terrific and the staging is brisk and bright. There were river songs and sea songs, shadowy hat tricks and Grease-y Partridges. The only downer: my ever-lovin' Amy had to stay late at work to finish a non-Finnish project and couldn't make it. But, upon its return to Los Angeles, we shall definitely be catching the show, wherever it might be staged. So, again, thanks, BK. It was a night I shall cherish (ping!).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #305 on: July 12, 2008, 11:05:23 PM »

Jose, that would be my thought - twice a year - right now it's four times a year and after fifteen years or more of this it's too much, especially in these economic times.  Twice a year would enable him to bulk up on the celebs and maybe get more dealers back there - that's the big difference between where it's currently held and the Beverly Garland where it used to be held.  There the celeb room was much smaller than the new venue, but because of that it always looked jammed.  Plus there were about six other rooms with just dealers.  Now there are only a handful of dealers and I think it's hurt his show.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #306 on: July 12, 2008, 11:05:50 PM »

Jose, e-mail me and I'll tell you about it - one never knows who is reading this board, if you get my meaning.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #307 on: July 12, 2008, 11:06:38 PM »

It was nice to see Mark, and it was a shame his ever-lovin' Amy couldn't make it.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #308 on: July 12, 2008, 11:07:23 PM »

And occasional dear reader Meg arrived well into the second act (bad traffic) and was afraid to come into the room - so she only heard the last half of the second half.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #309 on: July 12, 2008, 11:09:42 PM »

One of the funniest things that happened last night was when Kevin forgot the entire set up (with Sean) to one of his numbers - he began singing it and realized it made no sense because the very funny set up had been skipped.  He stopped and told the audience he'd forgotten the set up and he'd have to go back and do it.  As Sean met him center stage, Kevin said, "Boy am I going to get a BIG note about this" at which point I held up my notepad which had a big note on it.  It got a really big laugh.

FJL

« Reply #310 on: July 12, 2008, 11:19:19 PM »

Just stopped in to see if we were at page 12.

Mark

« Reply #311 on: July 12, 2008, 11:21:55 PM »

Missed-show vibes to ODR Meg. The traffic gods were kind to me on Friday ... I left Camarillo at 5:08 p.m., which was later than I had planned, and I made it to the rehearsal space by 6:15. One just never knows about Highway 101 on a Friday.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #312 on: July 12, 2008, 11:46:39 PM »

OH!

Walter Willison and I had hoped to dine at West Side Cottage earlier this afternoon. Alas, when we got there, the front "gate" was down.  Behind the gate, there was a sign on the door stating that they were closed for renovations... Until September.  Alas, with the way that block is changing, I'm fearing that it might be renovating into a different restaurant.  :-\

*Oh, and Piece of Chicken has shuttered too.  However, it looks like a truly temporary closing.
Make Your Own Luck.

Mark

« Reply #313 on: July 12, 2008, 11:50:30 PM »

As for the topic o' the day, Amy and I last year stayed at a rather odd B&B in Capay, Calif., a small town located outside Sacramento. The B&B was a converted 1898 farmhouse located on a 142-acre working ranch, complete with chickens, roosters, kitties, horses and another farm critters roaming around outside the front door. If that wasn't enough wildlife, there were also llamas and zebras, too. Amy and I gotten lost en route to the B&B, and we were starving when we arrived. When we walked inside the kitchen, a chicken was roasting in the oven ... and it smelled delicious. How I wanted that chicken. Alas, it was not to be. We had a show we had to go see that night. Upon our return from said show, the kitchen still smelled like chicken, and that made me even hungrier. We were told before we left that we were free to munch on leftovers, but there were no leftovers to be found ... save for a large plastic, Costco-size container of Pace picante sauce. And so, for dinner, that night, I, ahem, picked up the Pace, poured it in a bowl, and pretended it was gazpacho.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #314 on: July 13, 2008, 12:03:58 AM »

As for the topic o' the day, Amy and I last year stayed at a rather odd B&B in Capay, Calif., a small town located outside Sacramento. The B&B was a converted 1898 farmhouse located on a 142-acre working ranch, complete with chickens, roosters, kitties, horses and another farm critters roaming around outside the front door. If that wasn't enough wildlife, there were also llamas and zebras, too. Amy and I gotten lost en route to the B&B, and we were starving when we arrived. When we walked inside the kitchen, a chicken was roasting in the oven ... and it smelled delicious. How I wanted that chicken. Alas, it was not to be. We had a show we had to go see that night. Upon our return from said show, the kitchen still smelled like chicken, and that made me even hungrier. We were told before we left that we were free to munch on leftovers, but there were no leftovers to be found ... save for a large plastic, Costco-size container of Pace picante sauce. And so, for dinner, that night, I, ahem, picked up the Pace, poured it in a bowl, and pretended it was gazpacho.

That reminds of that "That Girl" episode where she went to the automat and made "tomato soup" from a cup of hot water and some ketchup.

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Mark

« Reply #315 on: July 13, 2008, 12:23:09 AM »

That reminds of that "That Girl" episode where she went to the automat and made "tomato soup" from a cup of hot water and some ketchup.

;D

There was a guy I knew who got sent off to a Pennsylvania boarding school when he was a teenager. He hated it. Every chance he got, he'd go hang out in New York City. He didn't have much money to eat in the city, so he'd make himself "bacon" sandwiches, which consisted of mayo and crumbled barbecue potato chips between slices of bread.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #316 on: July 13, 2008, 12:24:24 AM »

There was a guy I knew who got sent off to a Pennsylvania boarding school when he was a teenager. He hated it. Every chance he got, he'd go hang out in New York City. He didn't have much money to eat in the city, so he'd make himself "bacon" sandwiches, which consisted of mayo and crumbled barbecue potato chips between slices of bread.

YUM!

*And that's actually a recipe in one of the White Trash Cookbooks!
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #317 on: July 13, 2008, 12:39:54 AM »

Oh, dear, I hope the West Side Cottage comes back - I really like that jernt.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Up