Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC, WHITE BOY  (Read 26560 times)

FJL

Re:PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC, WHITE BOY
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2008, 07:06:26 AM »

I co-majored in computer science in college (late 1970's) and remember having to type in programming info on punch cards, one line at a time, and if you made a typo, you had to type the card again.  I could program fluenty in four "computer languages" - PL1, cobol, pascal and assembler - but now I'm stymied if my computer even freezes; I had a knack for the programming, but not the computer installation and maintenance (which many insist is the comparatively easy part) for some reason.

Jennifer

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2008, 07:08:04 AM »

DR RonP, re: Big Brother 10.

One thing to keep in mind is that people who only watch the show do not always have the same opinions as those who follow the live feeds.

Things are edited on the tv broadcast, and it is not necessarily exactly what is going on.

In addition people see those on the show differently. Some might think renny is fun and different. I personally find her annoying.

Re: brian, i will admit he went too far. And i did not like how he went to each person. To me he made an error. He should have simply stuck with dan and ollie. And "helped" jerry. But he should have stopped there. But i find him fun and i like him a lot more than renny!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2008, 07:28:02 AM »

Good morning!

I didn't have a great night, so I'm feeling rather sluggish this morning. Ugh! At least it's cool outside. That helps.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2008, 07:33:30 AM »

EMmy nominations were this morning, and I've been on-line since the live announcements looking at the nominees.

Big surprises: no Best Drama nomination for GREY'S ANATOMY (the ridiculous BOSTON LEGAL got in), but DEXTER, DAMAGES, LOST, and MAD MEN got Drama Series nominations. Boy, what a competition that's going to be!

No Best Comedy Series for UGLY BETTY or PUSHING DAISIES (or DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES but it didn't make the semifinal list) and the undeserving ENTOURAGE got in the line-up again. (I like the show, but it was a bad season for it last summer.)

Kyra Sedgwick DID get nominated, but I was a little scared when both Mariska Hargitay and Holly Hunter got nominated and there was only one spot left in the list. Kyra's name came last in alphabetical order.

JOHN ADAMS led all shows with 23 nominations. 30 ROCK had the most series nominations, but that's because SEVEN guest actors from the show were nominated: four men and three women. MAD MEN came in third with total nominations.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 07:37:05 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2008, 07:35:25 AM »

Tonight on TV:

BURN NOTICE

MY LIFE ON THE D-LIST

FEAR ITSELF

SWINGTOWN

(naturally, they all come on at 10 p.m.)

Jennifer

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2008, 07:35:57 AM »

On tv tonight for me:

So you think you can dance results show.

I must say i did not care for most of the new pairings last night, except one (2 of my fav dancers, will and katee).

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2008, 07:40:12 AM »

I have the new Criterion HIGH AND LOW, but I'm waiting until Sunday so I can devote all afternoon and evening to it. I'll be watching TRANSFORMERS episodes today, Friday, and Saturday.

I've done three Criterions in a row this week (MON ONCLE ANTOINE, TRAFIC, VAMPYR), and I'm kind of Criterioned out

Jennifer

« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2008, 07:42:21 AM »

re: the emmy noms

http://cdn.emmys.tv/awards/2008pte/60thpte_noms.php

For Best Drama:

Boston legal, damages, dexter, house, lost, mad men.

I sort of want lost to win. but would be happy with dexter.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2008, 07:44:31 AM »

I honestly think the final pick will be between MAD MEN and DAMAGES.

LOST would be my pick unquestionably.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2008, 07:44:37 AM »

Good morning, fellow Dear Readers. That is all. For now.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jennifer

« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2008, 07:45:04 AM »

And for the emmys Best Comedy series:

30 Rock, curb your enthusiasm, entourage, the office,  2 1/2 men.

I don't watch any of these.

Jennifer

« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2008, 07:46:07 AM »

I honestly think the final pick will be between MAD MEN and DAMAGES.

LOST would be my pick unquestionably.

Well boston legal would be out for me. Not a good season.

You think they would pick damages over dexter? I like them both, but would have thought they might have preferred the latter.

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2008, 07:49:38 AM »

My first computer was an Atari 800XL. It had 64K of memory, and used a cartridge slot for programs. Of course, once floppy discs became THE way to load programs and save material, one could buy a standalone floppy for the computer, and I had that.

64K doesn't sound like much now, but it was enough to be able to have both a word processing program (which didn't come with spell check back then) and a spell check program loaded at the same time. Multitasking on an Atari computer WAS possible.

My first modem was a 300 baud modem, and all stuff on-line then was text-based.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2008, 07:51:20 AM »

Well boston legal would be out for me. Not a good season.

You think they would pick damages over dexter? I like them both, but would have thought they might have preferred the latter.

DEXTER too bloody and disturbing for the conservative Emmys. DAMAGES has a bonafide movie star as the lead and a labyrinthine mystery plot. No contest. Yes, they choose THE SOPRANOS a couple of times for best drama but it took it many years to win its first Best Drama Emmy.

Again, I'm not saying *I* prefer it. I'm going by past picks by the Academy.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 07:52:39 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2008, 07:58:13 AM »

I got my first computer (that Atari 800XL) in 1985. A new bank in town was offering free Apple IIc computers (a portable version of the Apple IIe) with a certain amount of money deposited in a savings account, so I did that and got an Apple IIc, too (my school used IIe computers, so I could do work at home on the IIc and take it to school to use with the IIe.)

My first IBM compatible computer (called clones back then) had 512K memory, and I bought one of those probably around 1988. I liked the "clicky" keyboards, the large number of extra buttons to handle specialized tasks in programs, and since those computers seemed to be the mainstay in business, I thought I'd jump in early. I've had PCs ever since.

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2008, 07:59:52 AM »

Best friend John and I are doing an early lunch, so I need to head down now and get cleaned up.

WBBL.

Ginny

« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2008, 08:00:02 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!  Today is the first day of my "get strong" campaign, in preparation for returning to work a week from Monday.  I've even done some telecommuting and wonder if they'd let me do that on a regular basis.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

singdaw

« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2008, 08:03:49 AM »

I've even done some telecommuting and wonder if they'd let me do that on a regular basis.

Now there's a fine idea!    :)

Ginny

« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2008, 08:07:02 AM »

TOD - The first computer in our home was an Apple IIE on which Richard started his doctoral dissertation.  He replaced that with one of the first Macs in town, a 512K that I learned to use when writing a grant proposal for Middfest in 1986.  Richard completed his dissertation on that machine, too, and only lost 2 bibliographic references in the transition.

When I went to work at Dayton Metro Library in 1997, they were just making the switch to Windows and many staffers were having a terrible time with the mouse, the GUI, etc.  My Mac background helped a lot and enabled me to adapt to the PC environment pretty quickly.  

We are still a totally Mac household, with my eMac, Richard's iMac, and our shared MacBook.  I'm pretty sure when my eMac dies, I will replace it with a laptop instead of another desktop.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

singdaw

« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2008, 08:07:25 AM »

What date are the Emmys broadcast - does anyone know?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2008, 08:21:03 AM »

I suppose I'm up, and I suppose I'll attempt to jog in about twenty minutes.  I'll do my computer stories when I get back from Grant's.

Miss Karen

« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2008, 08:36:20 AM »

I co-majored in computer science in college (late 1970's) and remember having to type in programming info on punch cards, one line at a time, and if you made a typo, you had to type the card again.  I could program fluenty in four "computer languages" - PL1, cobol, pascal and assembler - but now I'm stymied if my computer even freezes; I had a knack for the programming, but not the computer installation and maintenance (which many insist is the comparatively easy part) for some reason.

Punch cards were my first computer experience -- at college also (mid-70s).  And when I worked on the college newspaper, I remember typing the headlines that came out on long strips of yellow paper -- looked just like yellow ticker tape. That stuff was all over the news room.

I was not fluent in "computer languages" then -- and I'll be darn if these new-fangled contraptions still don't leave me scratching my head.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2008, 08:38:26 AM »

La dee DAH dee dah dah.

Bank, post office, grocery store, pharmacy, Pepsi Place....oil change....

And it's not even noon!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2008, 08:39:57 AM »

I forgot Pwoject Wunway was starting last night, I will have to catch up to it this weekend sometime.

DR MATTH thanks so much about the information on Annette's Tin Box!!!  Coming out in November it will be a late 66th Birthday Present for her!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2008, 08:40:25 AM »

DR RonP, re: Big Brother 10.

One thing to keep in mind is that people who only watch the show do not always have the same opinions as those who follow the live feeds.

Things are edited on the tv broadcast, and it is not necessarily exactly what is going on.

In addition people see those on the show differently. Some might think renny is fun and different. I personally find her annoying.

Re: brian, i will admit he went too far. And i did not like how he went to each person. To me he made an error. He should have simply stuck with dan and ollie. And "helped" jerry. But he should have stopped there. But i find him fun and i like him a lot more than renny!

DR Jennifer:  I don't know whether to feel insulted or not.  I hope you know that I am well aware that what is presented on TV is a severe edit of what goes on inside the house.  I've been following "Big Brother" as long as you have, if not longer.

I have also subscribed to 24/7 service in the past and become totally consumed with it, a mistake I won't make again.

I also read daily updates.  I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I truly don't need a lesson of any kind.

As for Renny, it's not about Renny.  It was never about Renny.  Renny has nothing to do with what was happening in the house.  It was all about Brian and the very weird attitude he was copping with people.

He overplayed his hand and it bit him in the ass.  Even though he put on a show of being "fun Brian", the final vote tells the tale.  From folks who "lived it" and have no agendas beyond game play.

And here's a big HOO & RAY for all nine of the voters -- to Dan for staying true to his misguided friend and to the other eight for not being dumb enough to fall for Brian's obvious attempts to charm them into believing he is this benign, fun-loving guy who posed no threat.

I admired his remarks to Julie Chen, though.  He totally knows he overdid everything and was guilty of bad timing.  You don't go into the house and start telling people you can save them for a week or two and then expect not to have a bullseye on your back.  Brian was, in effect, a dumb player.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 09:01:21 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2008, 08:45:49 AM »

First computer....which was basically a word processor although I think it had a few games, too, which my brothers loved to play.

Second computer....I loved this computer which I got in 1992, and used it until moving up to an IBM compatible in 1998....  Did lots of script writing and theatre work on it....and the handy dot matrix printer....banners, posters, had some really nice and easy to use programs for word processing, accounting, drawing, list making, greeting cards....all kinds of stuff...but of course NO WINDOWS.

:P

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2008, 08:53:56 AM »

I was there at the dawn of the PC, and it wasn't a pretty birth.  :)  In those days, I was working in-house for a temp service but was the "disaster savior" who would go on assignments to salvage situations when any given temp couldn't handle whatever dedicated word processor that particular office had.  I never had any problem walking into an office and quickly figuring out the different systems:  DisplayWriter, Xerox 360, Lanier, Philips Micom, and everyone's favorite, Wang.  :)  Then along came the first generation of PCs, usually with WordPerfect (when did WordPerfect lose the war with Word?).

My first home PC was the "first" multimedia PC out there, the Tandy SENSATION! (with the exclamation mark--it made it easier to market to musical lovers).  It was a nice little computer, I did my first big sequencing compositions on that beast.  I still remember working on a commission on that thing with a brandy snifter in one hand and my trusty mouse in the other (no, that's not a euphemism).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Kerry

« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2008, 08:55:56 AM »

I could not access to pre-order yesterday, or i would have.

I watched Elaine Stritch singing, "Zip" last night.

I also found a scorpion crawling around my living room at 5 am.  A scorpion!   Now, really!  Not what i wanted to encounter.  I don't even live in the wilds of the desert, so God only knows why it was there.  Suffice it to say i did not sleep much after that.
I like boat races.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2008, 08:56:12 AM »

Project Runway

I was a bit overwhelmed by them having 16 designers.  It seems like four too many, for some reason, but they will probably do one or two double-eliminations down the road.

It's too soon to have a favorite, sorry to say.  Not enough personality was shown, IMO, to get a handle on what any of them is about.

The designer Elmore has dubbed "trash-bag lady": I think she survived the cut because her "outfit" was truer to her style than "shower-curtain-raincoat guy's" was to his.  A "dubious" distinction, to be sure.

It was interesting seeing Austin Scarlett again.  Glad he is in NYC where he can "blend in"!  LOL!  He made some really good comments during the judging, and I wish he had been as editorial in his own designs when he was a contestant because I have to admit he was my favorite in Season 1.  

The "bleached-blond-tanning-guy" was very lucky last night:  While Austin Scarlett thought his model was wearing a diaper, I thought it looked like "something else", entirely.  It was "hideous" in the extreme.  Along with some of the other designers, I'm over his use of "girlicious"!

But that's what makes the show so doggoned entertaining!

I thought some of the designers did pretty well given the materials they were expected to use.  There is promise there.

Next week, I expect the "dreaded" (for me) "team" concept to apply....three teams of 5 each???  Or five teams of 3 each?  Anyway, it looks like there's gonna be some trash-talking going down!

« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 09:00:41 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Kerry

« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2008, 08:58:13 AM »

Kerry Hughes isn't straight either.  His picture is most often crooked these days.
I like boat races.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up