Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: I COULD WHILE AWAY THE HOURS  (Read 40198 times)

FJL

Re:I COULD WHILE AWAY THE HOURS
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2008, 05:34:16 AM »

THE MONO LOG - my new one-man show about the danger of teens  kissing with tongue

FJL

« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2008, 05:59:38 AM »

I always expect the unexpected from singdaw

singdaw

« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2008, 06:05:47 AM »

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2008, 06:51:52 AM »

I'm not sure what I'm going to watch this weekend.  If a promised DVD copy of ONLY THE VALIANT arrives, I'll watch that.  It stars Gregory Peck & features  my friend, Michael Ansara.  

On the other hand, I might just bite the bullet and go see THE DARK KNIGHT.  I'm not a big fan of superhero movies, but this one is getting such sensational reviews....

Of course, my wife wants to see MAMA MIA, which hasn't been getting such great reviews.

Decisions.  Decisions.
You can dream…or you can do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2008, 07:05:19 AM »

Good morning, all! I slept late for a change, and I have a day of events in the works: NYPL around 11 am and a meeting abpout the NYMF show at 2 pm.  I'm also working on this number for Kip Wilborn that I need to finish over the weekend.

Tomorrow, I will be E&T most of the day.  I'm going to Massapequa on the Long Island Railroad at 8:30 am for a band rehearsal of the evening's concert with Daniel Rodriguez. I'll ride out with the conductor and soem friends, help the librarian get the music on the stands, make any fixes in my chart after I hear it and come back to Manhattan on the next train after rehearsal.

I just heard the good news that the restoration of Rodgers & Hart's "Spring Is Here" has been approved, so I have a new restoration job along with the just-approved "Life Begins at 8:40" restoration for the Library of Congress. It's nice to know there's work down the pike.

TOD:
   DVD:  Several opera bootlegs including Barber's ANTONY & CLEOPATRA. Offenbach's LA PERICHOLE, a couple of Netflix
   CD:  Bootleg shows including ZIP GOES A MILLION (1985) and SWEET ADELINE (1985) with Judy Kaye, Guy Haines, Liz Callaway, BABES IN TOYLAND
    VCR:  cheap smut

« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 07:05:51 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

singdaw

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2008, 07:07:46 AM »

DR elmore3003 - is the Barber bootleg of the premiere production?   :o

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2008, 07:16:02 AM »

DR elmore3003 - is the Barber bootleg of the premiere production?   :o

Chicago Lyric Opera PBS broadcast with the photogenic Catherine Malfitano, one of my faves, and Richard Cowan.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 07:16:20 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2008, 07:22:53 AM »

Bruce,

Your mention of THE CISCO KID in the blog brings back some fond...and also some bittersweet...memories.

Fond, because I remember watching the show every week when I was a kid.

Bittersweet, because the show, as well as SEA HUNT, HIGHWAY PATROL and many others, were produced by Fred Ziv of ZIV Productions.  Fred Ziv was a 2nd cousin...who my parents talked about but I'd never met.  Yet, the two branches of the family did keep in "distant" contact over the years.

I always thought that, when I came to Hollywood, I would go to him and he might help me get into the film business.  

Unfortunately, while I was still in college, cousin Fred Ziv sold the company and moved back to his home town, Cincinnatti.  

%$*&%@*@

I did, however, have the opportunity to meet him face-to-face many years later when I visited Cincinnatti for a film promotion.  He was very friendly and, as I recall, even apologized for retiring from the business before he had the opportunity to help me.

:)
You can dream…or you can do.

Kerry

« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2008, 07:39:26 AM »

I hurt a lot yesterday, and "Sound of Music," "Calamity Jane," Jeri Soutern singingf" You'd Better go Now," and a lot of prayer (and many Motrin) did not help.  We'll see what's in store once i awaken.
I like boat races.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2008, 07:40:45 AM »

Good morning!

The newspaper said it got down to 65 last night, but I don't think so. I wasn't particularly cool when I went out to get the newspaper this morning. And now the A/C is back on, and the house feels much more comfortable.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2008, 07:43:43 AM »

Our local film critic gave MAMMA MIA 3 1/2 stars (out of 4), so some folks are giving it good reviews. (He said none of the leading men can sing, and I rather believe it though I haven't heard the soundtrack CD.)

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2008, 07:45:41 AM »

Friday Media Check:

CD - A CONNECTICUT YANKEE (OCR)

DVD - TRANSFORMERS, Disc 3
          HIGH AND LOW (Criterion)

DVR - Monday night's THE MOLE
          last night's FEAR ITSELF
          last night's MY LIFE ON THE D-LIST
          last night's SWINGTOWN

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2008, 07:45:41 AM »

Good morning, all! I slept late for a change, and I have a day of events in the works: NYPL around 11 am and a meeting abpout the NYMF show at 2 pm.  I'm also working on this number for Kip Wilborn that I need to finish over the weekend.

Tomorrow, I will be E&T most of the day.  I'm going to Massapequa on the Long Island Railroad at 8:30 am for a band rehearsal of the evening's concert with Daniel Rodriguez. I'll ride out with the conductor and soem friends, help the librarian get the music on the stands, make any fixes in my chart after I hear it and come back to Manhattan on the next train after rehearsal.

I just heard the good news that the restoration of Rodgers & Hart's "Spring Is Here" has been approved, so I have a new restoration job along with the just-approved "Life Begins at 8:40" restoration for the Library of Congress. It's nice to know there's work down the pike.

TOD:
   DVD:  Several opera bootlegs including Barber's ANTONY & CLEOPATRA. Offenbach's LA PERICHOLE, a couple of Netflix
   CD:  Bootleg shows including ZIP GOES A MILLION (1985) and SWEET ADELINE (1985) with Judy Kaye, Guy Haines, Liz Callaway, BABES IN TOYLAND
    VCR:  cheap smut

I hope you put on your Sunday clothes, 'cause I had images of you as a present-day Elmo Levi gathering all the folks up and whisking them off to the railroad station.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2008, 07:46:34 AM »

Look at that, DR Ron. we posted our last posts at EXACTLY the same time! What are the odds of THAT happening?

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2008, 07:48:14 AM »

I saw CONFESSIONS OF A DANGEROUS MIND on Starz! several years ago, and I have almost no recollection of it, even whether I liked it or not. It's far-fetched, I remember, but otherwise, nada.

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2008, 07:50:10 AM »

Tonight on TV:

Season premieres for MONK and PSYCH.

Monk's getting a new analyst (Hector Elizando), so that will be at least something different for the show, and I'll record it.

PSYCH, I'll watch "live."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2008, 07:50:13 AM »

Our local film critic gave MAMMA MIA 3 1/2 stars (out of 4), so some folks are giving it good reviews. (He said none of the leading men can sing, and I rather believe it though I haven't heard the soundtrack CD.)

The Washington Post praises Meryl Streep but feels it's a bit over the top as a "woman's" film, comparing it to a more "sedate" "Sex in the City".  The term Ann Hornaday used was "shriekfest."

Conversely, a male critic at the San Francisco Chronicle gave it a conditional RAVE, praising Streep and the actress who plays her daughter.  He said, "Basically, this isn't a movie.  It's a vacation!"  He loved the music and performances and locations used.  His quibbles were with chronological ages of the older actors being a decade or so older than they should have been.  He said it didn't bother him, but some lines were a bit jarring when you think about a time they are referencing.  He added that Pierce Brosnan cannot sing.  He demanded that anyone who goes to see the movie repeat that mantra -- "Pierce Brosnan cannot sing" -- 10 times before seeing it.  :D

He also made a cheery note of the fact that "Dancing Queen" makes two rousing appearances in the film.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 07:52:12 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ben

« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2008, 07:52:34 AM »

We will be in New Jersey tomorrow at a Morelli Family Cousins Party. One of the many Morelli cousins bought a new house and we will be heading out for a barbeque. NJTransit here we come. We will watch the Britcoms tonight and have nothing planned for Sunday.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2008, 07:53:46 AM »

Look at that, DR Ron. we posted our last posts at EXACTLY the same time! What are the odds of THAT happening?

And the forum didn't crash!   :D

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2008, 07:55:20 AM »

And I was making no judgement.    :)

Turning over a new leaf, are we?   ;D
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2008, 07:56:56 AM »

The Oregonian "reviewer" (I use the term loosely) hated Mamma Mia, but most of his complaints stem from the concept, which he seems to think originated with the film version (i.e., dropping in ABBA songs willy-nilly).  Oy.  Do these people never do any research on what they're writing about?
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2008, 07:59:52 AM »

I called it "quits" last night at 9:45 p.m.  I couldn't make my eyes stay open, so it was off to dreamland.

I got up at 6 a.m. and was at work at 6:50 a.m.  

And here I sit.  

I'm practically caught up on the week's activities.

But, since it's Friday, I know someone with a "big problem" will call and will throw a hissy fit while explaining the nature of the problem.  I will patiently listen.  And, as happens so often on Fridays, I will courteously explain that he, or she, has the "wrong" office and will direct him, or her, to the right office.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2008, 08:07:51 AM »

The Oregonian "reviewer" (I use the term loosely) hated Mamma Mia, but most of his complaints stem from the concept, which he seems to think originated with the film version (i.e., dropping in ABBA songs willy-nilly).  Oy.  Do these people never do any research on what they're writing about?

No! Never!  They live in a vacuum directly proportional to their knowledge of much of which they write.

MBarnum

« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2008, 08:08:10 AM »

We will be in New Jersey tomorrow at a Morelli Family Cousins Party. One of the many Morelli cousins bought a new house and we will be heading out for a barbeque. NJTransit here we come. We will watch the Britcoms tonight and have nothing planned for Sunday.

Keep a lookout for Trax Colton at the Morelli party!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2008, 08:09:43 AM »

It's another foggy day in Oakland town.

And the weekend promises much more of the same.

MBarnum

« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2008, 08:09:44 AM »

Media Check:

DVD:
MY DOG SHEP

DVR:
episodes of THE 1950S game show THE NAME'S THE SAME

CD:
Soundtrack to the new Bollywood movie TASHAN

Matt H.

« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2008, 08:15:28 AM »

The sad fact is that there is now in place a generation of reviewers who just don't "get" musicals. They don't understand the genre and do next to nothing to try to understand its traditions and history. There aren't enough of them released for them to get used to the idea of musicals, and so when a piece of fluff like MAMMA MIA arrives, they're really thrown for a loop.

The reviewer for THE CHARLOTTE OBSERVER who gave MAMMA MIA a near-rave saw Meryl Streep in HAPPY END off-Broadway in the 1970s and thought then she was going to have a fabulous Broadway career as a musical star! (He mentions this in his review.)

He also for years spent his off hours appearing in the Charlotte Opera chorus, so he knows about musical theater and appreciates it.

Matt H.

« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2008, 08:17:09 AM »

I've got to head down now and clean up so I can go do my usual Friday errands.

WBBL.

Ginny

« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2008, 08:17:57 AM »

Friday morning greetings!  I'm going to venture out on my own today - drive out to my mom's to meet up with her and my sister to go see Mamma Mia!

TOD -

CD - Mamma Mia! soundtrack and a disc that the State of Ohio sent me about long-term health care insurance - do they know something I don't?

DVD - Elizabeth: The Golden Age, which Richard brought me from the library.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2008, 08:20:20 AM »

The sad fact is that there is now in place a generation of reviewers who just don't "get" musicals. They don't understand the genre and do next to nothing to try to understand its traditions and history. There aren't enough of them released for them to get used to the idea of musicals, and so when a piece of fluff like MAMMA MIA arrives, they're really thrown for a loop.

The reviewer for THE CHARLOTTE OBSERVER who gave MAMMA MIA a near-rave saw Meryl Streep in HAPPY END off-Broadway in the 1970s and thought then she was going to have a fabulous Broadway career as a musical star! (He mentions this in his review.)

He also for years spent his off hours appearing in the Charlotte Opera chorus, so he knows about musical theater and appreciates it.

Blame TV, too.  Yes, tastes change along with generations.  But TV used to be the major tool used to expose Americans (at any rate) to cultural events.  Some were tuned in by nearly everyone (R&H's "Cinderella" for instance).   Look at the great long run of Ed Sullivan on CBS and all the variety he introduced week after week.

TV is, IMO, a cultural wasteland -- musically -- and that judgment accounts for such things as "American Idol."   PBS does the occasional wonderful thing, but PBS' audience isn't mainstream America.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 09:32:39 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Up