Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WALK ON THE WILD SIDE  (Read 23829 times)

Tomovoz

Re:WALK ON THE WILD SIDE
« Reply #90 on: February 18, 2004, 01:10:05 PM »

I"ll check with François later. I think he will be at the seance venue in another 18 hours time.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #91 on: February 18, 2004, 01:16:07 PM »

DR Charles Pogue - Oh my....I bet Margaret was very good in "Barefoot."
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2004, 01:17:29 PM »

I'm going to explode the myth propogated by women that men hate to stop and ask for directions when they're lost.  It has nothing to do with some macho stance that we're too embarrassed to ask for help from our peers.  If I'm late and lost, I'll stop and ask for directions.  What women don't understand is that when we're lost and there is no specific time schedule, we're just not panicked by it and look at it as kind of an adventure to see if we can find our way back

Damn straight, Charles!  I thank you for articulating this.  There's nothing I like better than putting my navigational powers to work.  That's why I love bicycling in obscure parts of New York City.

My rewrite of Sondheim,

"Please don't cough...
And turn the Goddamn cell-phones off"

has to be rewritten again
because one of our 29 performers objects.
She said she'd happily sit out the number,
but she's so good, I agreed to change it.

"Please don't cough...
And kindly turn the cell-phones off"

Work yesterday started at 8:30 a.m. and ended after 10 p.m.  Didn't get to hear Donald's radio show until today.  It's been great to hear from long-lost friends who've heard the program, including one of the girls who made my heart pitter-pat in sixth grade.  Where were you when I was in my 20's?

(Not sure if that counts as a BK question.)
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Robin

« Reply #93 on: February 18, 2004, 01:18:59 PM »

That brings up an interesting question for BK and the rest of the DRs:  How good are you at following directions, to get from place to place?

I'm wretched at directions.  It's a miracle I can find my way home every day.  The Significant Other ridicules my non-existent directional sense mercilessly good-naturedly.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #94 on: February 18, 2004, 01:19:34 PM »

DR Jose wrote:  "The big culprit was bad song choice.  Why pick a smooth jazz song?  Why pick an easy listening song?  Why pick a "slow groove"?  It appears the contestants were trying too much to show a different side of them rather than showing the judges who they really are.  -Which the judges commented on."

But I don't understand these criticisms. Once the finalists start singing in the final 12, they're going to be asked to sing in LOTS of different styles, so why is it bad to "mix it up" a bit with their choice of song and their vocal stylings (for those who are sophisticated enough to be able to style a song)? The judges keep complaining about the contestants "playing it safe" (this is what Randy said to Matt Rogers, the football guy, last night), but I think that's facile criticism. If he was playing safe, he'd sing "Happy Birthday." A singer can forget words, go off pitch, get distracted, or go off tempo on any kind of song. And they're not experienced enough to HAVE a set style yet. The judges are going to judge their style on 20 seconds of an audition song and a couple of other bits and pieces that they've heard? Absurd!

And if they sing a song in the style that they've used before, they run the risk of the judges saying they're singing the same old thing. It's a crap shoot with these inconsistent judges no matter which way you turn.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2004, 01:31:11 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jennifer

« Reply #95 on: February 18, 2004, 01:22:18 PM »

Jennifer, I'm far from a musical expert...but I can still tell when someone hits a clinker, has breath control problems, or has no stage presence.  And when in doubt, I rely on Simon...I almost always agree with his comments...except for Hawaiin Girl...

I hope you realize that I was giving you a compliment when I mentioned musical expertise.

If you really thought Hawaiian Girl technically had problems then it wouldn't suprise me if Simon says he noticed this when he rewatched it on tv.

If you want a good laugh, here is recap of last night's show:
http://www.idolonfox.com/recaps/index.htm

Btw, there is a message board (under community) at the idolonfox website. This is the first time I've checked it out. They have threads about who they thought will make it through from last night (most people seem to say Lisa and Hawaiian Girl, with Marissa also being popular, and a number are also praising the football guy).

As for the Wildcard show, it seems Scooter Girl is very popular there.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #96 on: February 18, 2004, 01:22:48 PM »

Charles Pogue I wonder if your lovely wife agrees you are indeed an exemption to the rule.  Keith does his best to avoid asking for directions.  When he finally agrees we need them, he sends me to ask. :D

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #97 on: February 18, 2004, 01:24:35 PM »

Dear BK and anyone who has taken an art history class,

How was neo-classicism a response to the rococo era?
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #98 on: February 18, 2004, 01:25:30 PM »

Oh, and how would you describe and/or define Baroque music as reflected in Handel's "Messiah?"

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #99 on: February 18, 2004, 01:25:58 PM »

My rewrite of Sondheim,

"Please don't cough...

"Please don't cough...

The meter reads much better with the second version; I'd have objected to the first version myself on that basis.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #100 on: February 18, 2004, 01:29:46 PM »

I think as the Messiah was giving money to the poor, he was flat baroque. Is that the connection (On reflection)?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #101 on: February 18, 2004, 01:31:57 PM »

That was of course a steal from Richard Carpenter. Ah! Carpenter. Another link with the Messiah.
James Thurber 1957

Kerry

« Reply #102 on: February 18, 2004, 01:34:20 PM »

DRSandra-   trying to get us to write your papers for you again, huh?

BTW, you never answered my question as to whether the lyrics you have on  your profile are the lyrics to "Crazy Bus" from "Arthur."  If not, what is it?

Also--- did you end up writing about the concert or the museum for humanities?
I like boat races.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #103 on: February 18, 2004, 01:36:35 PM »

DR Jose wrote:  "The big culprit was bad song choice.  Why pick a smooth jazz song?  Why pick an easy listening song?  Why pick a "slow groove"?  It appears the contestants were trying too much to show a different side of them rather than showing the judges who they really are.  -Which the judges commented on."

But I don't understand these criticisms. Once the finalists start singing in the final 12, they're going to be asked to sing in LOTS of different styles, so why is it bad to "mix it up" a bit with their choice of song and their vocal stylings (for those who are sophisticated enough to be able to style a song)? The judges keep complaining about the contestants "playing it safe" (this is what Randy said to Matt Rogers, the football guy, last night), but I think that's facile criticism. If he was playing safe, he'd sing "Happy Birthday." A singer can forget words, go off pitch, get distracted, or go off tempo on any kind of song. And they're not experienced enough to HAVE a set style yet. The judges are going to judge their style on 20 seconds of an audition song and a couple of other bits and pieces that they've heard. Absurd!

I guess what I'm trying to get at - and which just hit me a few minutes ago - is that AI is no longer a contest or competition - or even necessarily a talent show.  By this point and time - meaning the third season - it's more of a game.  Kind of like "Survivor" in a way.  The contestants should be using these rounds - just like their initial "audition" to get to the next round, and not necessarily show "who they are".

It's unfortunate that some strategizing has to be done, but I think it does.

-The football player was good.  Good not great.  I, too, had a sense he was holding back.

-A Norah Jones song to show off your range?  I don't think so.  Her material is purposely non-show-offy.  It's calm.  Soothing.  -And then if you "pop it up" it just makes the song sound wrong.  Unfortunately, suspender girl was having pitch issues last night too.

-Hawaiian girl - I don't get her either.

-And again, that's just my two cents... for today, at least.

Fortunately, once it gets down to the final 12, and they start doing theme shows, the playing ground becomes more level.

*I'm sorry I don't the contestants real names...

As for their own style...  Well, yes the contestants are young.  Yes, they are inexperienced.  But if they truly want to be - and ARE - the next American Idol, they should have their own style by now - even if they can't put a exact label on it right now.  If they want to snag a record contract right off the bat, they have to have the special something - the "it" factor - that separates them from the rest of the crowd.

And just like any other audition - the people behind the table have to go by what they've just seen and heard.  There's only so much second guessing one can do.  And if someone was good before, and not so good now, well, I'd have to question their talent too.  It's all in the moment.  For better or worse.

Well... I'm starting to ramble, and I need to get going and run some errands.

-But who knew I would ever be discussing American Idol?!?!?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #104 on: February 18, 2004, 01:41:43 PM »

Uh oh. Kerry has uncovered my evil plan to make you guys do my homework.

Yes, those lyrics are from Crazy Bus. That's the only song I know with the word "balloon-y" in it.

I haven't written about either of the things yet because that's not due for another couple weeks and I am going to wait until the night before it's due before I start to work on it. Unless I can get the Hainsies/Kimlets to write it before that.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #105 on: February 18, 2004, 01:41:50 PM »

No,Jane, my lovely wife hates it...and trots out the same sad myth each time. Hell, if I just make a wrong turn and KNOW how to get back, she wants me to stop for directions. But like I said, she hates it if my walk doesn't have a programmed route mapped out.  She wants to know exactly where and how long.  She won't go with me, if I decide I'm exploring.  

And speaking of exploring, as I go on exploring and re-discovering Brook Benton on Forty Greatest Hits,I just came across an interesting track...HURTING INSIDE.  It sounds like it oughta be a 50's Elvis Presley number and Benton even sounds sort of Presleyish on it.  It even has a rock 'n roll sex sax solo on it.  And then the next track is his great hit, Endlessly...Man, the guy is so smooth...Booging to Kiddio, right now..."I wrote you a six page letter/I even called you on the phone/ When you started talking about the weather/Kiddio, don't you know that's wrong?"

William E. Lurie

« Reply #106 on: February 18, 2004, 01:42:00 PM »

Best cellphone announcement I've heard was at the last Broadway By The Year.  Two minutes before the show began:

You have two minutes left to call all your friends and remind them not to call you during the next two hours.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Tomovoz

« Reply #107 on: February 18, 2004, 01:55:08 PM »

The morning radio announcer here must read HHW. He has been talking about visits to the dentist and has just played Brook Benton's "Hit Record".
« Last Edit: February 18, 2004, 01:55:36 PM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957

Jed

« Reply #108 on: February 18, 2004, 02:07:41 PM »

I'm very good with directions.  Even without directions, I have an uncanny ability to find where I'm going.  And once I've been somewhere, as others have said, I have no problem finding the place again.  However, rather than landmarks, I much prefer street names, or just a simple address.

I do believe Charles Pogue nailed it, regarding men asking for directions.  On those occasions where my knack for finding places doesn't kick in, I do really enjoy wandering around, exploring the area, and just seeing where I wind up.  I'll also go on "where does this road go?" trips from time to time.  The one time I hate not knowing where I'm going is if there's any sort of time limit involved.  There is almost nothing I hate more than being late (or even pressed for time getting somewhere), and if the clock starts getting too close for my comfort, then any disorientation drives me completely batty.  I assure you all that DR Ann is nodding her head in emphatic agreement at this. :)
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #109 on: February 18, 2004, 02:10:49 PM »

My rewrite of Sondheim,

"Please don't cough...

"Please don't cough...

Noel, did she object to the "Goddamn" part?  I had heard that Kathy Lee Gifford asked Sondheim to rewrite a simlar lyric in Putting It Together because of her beliefs...maybe it was the "F" word (I'm not sure now).  Anyway, I remember reading that he did allow the change for her.

If her objection was to "Goddamn," what if you wrote "and turn the f*cking cell phones off" ... would that have been more acceptible? ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #110 on: February 18, 2004, 02:15:04 PM »

Since we're in the Brook Benton frame of mind, you know who else I really love: Gene McDaniel, especially Point of No Return.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #111 on: February 18, 2004, 02:24:46 PM »

Gene McDaniel is one of the few pop singers from that era that I know about. My college roommate loved him and played "A Hundred Pounds of Clay" all the time.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Tomovoz

« Reply #112 on: February 18, 2004, 02:24:58 PM »

Gene McDaniels: Another great singer BK. A jazz man who did not really like his pop records and they were so good. His versions os songs like "A Tear", "Another Tear Falls", "The Puzzle", "Spanish Lace" etc are masterpieces of pop. Snuff Garrett produced all his hits. Enough said.
James Thurber 1957

MBarnum

« Reply #113 on: February 18, 2004, 02:25:46 PM »

I like Gene McDaniel's 100 Pounds of Clay

Charles Pogue

« Reply #114 on: February 18, 2004, 02:35:20 PM »

Yes!  Yes!  Yes! Gene McDaniels!  Four great hits...HUNDRED POUNDS OF CLAY, TOWER OF STRENGTH, CHIP CHIP, and the aforementioned POINT OF NO RETURN.  Tomovoz were The Tear and Another Tear Falls big hits in Australia?They were the "b" sides up here, I believe, that got some top forty play.  I have this tape of Gene McDaniels and, unfortunately, after you get through his four big hits and the two Tear songs, there really isn't much else that's at all memorable.  But those four!  Wow!  

I don't remember whether you mentioned Point of No Return in Kritzer Time, but if you did, it would be a great song for Guy Haines to sing on the upcoming Kritzer album.  It would be a great song for him anyway.  Someone should rediscover this classic.

Tomovoz

« Reply #115 on: February 18, 2004, 02:35:44 PM »

Trivia: English singer Craig Douglas covered "100 Pounds Of Clay" in the UK. His first version with the original lyrics was considered offensive and the lyrics were changed for a second release. Douglas appeared in the English pop/trad jazz film "It's Trad Dad". One of the guest stars in the film was Gene McDaniels. McDaniels sang "Another Tear Falls". You needed to know all that.
James Thurber 1957

Charles Pogue

« Reply #116 on: February 18, 2004, 02:42:50 PM »

And, BK, have you sent Guy Haines' tapes to your pal Gary Owens at 570 or to 1260 yet?  I'm going to keep on you till you do!  
« Last Edit: February 18, 2004, 02:47:09 PM by Charles Pogue »

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #117 on: February 18, 2004, 02:43:11 PM »

I LOVE Tower of Strength!!!

And I think the Brucer/SWW habitat looks just swell in those Page 1 pix.

And I just had a room change here at the BRT Residence - I'm up on the 2nd floor now, and my bedroom has a terrace outside, overlooking the Delaware! Right at this moment, I'm sitting at the desk in the bedroom, gazing out the glass door at a most lovely pink, gold and blue sunset on the river... Another gawjus day. Ah, life is grand!
PennyO

Tomovoz

« Reply #118 on: February 18, 2004, 02:45:20 PM »

They were "B" sides here too Charles. Other hits here were "It's A Lonely Town"and "The Puzzle" and "Spanish Lace". "Chip Chip" and "100 Pounds Of Clay" were his most successful hits in OZ.
Major Trivia: The "B" side of "Spanish Lace" was "Somebody's Waiting" - one of the first recordings of a Randy Newman song.
James Thurber 1957

Charles Pogue

« Reply #119 on: February 18, 2004, 02:45:40 PM »

What in the world did they change the original  A HUNDRED POUNDS OF CLAY lyrics to?  I'm very curious.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up