Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: MY NEW LOVE AFFAIR  (Read 30523 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re:MY NEW LOVE AFFAIR
« Reply #180 on: August 09, 2008, 07:11:50 PM »

[size=10]PAGE SEVEN![/size]
[/color][/b]
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #181 on: August 09, 2008, 07:12:29 PM »

My work here is done.

'night!
“One thing’s universal,

MBarnum

« Reply #182 on: August 09, 2008, 07:18:20 PM »

It would have to be jello, DR TCB.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 07:18:33 PM by MBarnum »

MBarnum

« Reply #183 on: August 09, 2008, 07:19:30 PM »

I have a secret stash of the subtitled screen caps DR Cillaliz, from another Bollywood fan on the 'web.

MBarnum

« Reply #184 on: August 09, 2008, 07:20:20 PM »

I received another lovely package of DVD delights from DR JRand! I am eager to see MAGNETIC MONSTER, which I have not seen since I was a mere child

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #185 on: August 09, 2008, 07:22:49 PM »

It would have to be jello, DR TCB.

Wow!  Jell-o sounds like much more fun.
“One thing’s universal,

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #186 on: August 09, 2008, 07:22:50 PM »

Good Evening!

Groovin' on a New York Afternoon...

:)

It's been a good day.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #187 on: August 09, 2008, 07:24:28 PM »

So, I decided to head on down to the Lyceum and sign up for the [title of show] ticket lottery.  Lo and behold, I was the fifth name called!

:)

*Yes, the seat was in the front row, but I did not find myself with a "crane'd" neck after the show.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #188 on: August 09, 2008, 07:29:29 PM »

I received another lovely package of DVD delights from DR JRand! I am eager to see MAGNETIC MONSTER, which I have not seen since I was a mere child

Yesterday.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #189 on: August 09, 2008, 07:32:05 PM »

As for the show itself... Well... In brief...

I loved [title of show].

It made me laugh.  It made me think.  It made me tear up a few times.  It made me remember why I got into this business in the first place. And, most importantly, it made me want to stay in this business.

Is the piece self-referential?  Of course it is.  But it does the self-referential thing very well, and manages to go beyond that inherent smugness and bring it down - or take it up - to a very personal level.  -And the new material added since it's run at The Vineyard is well-incorporated, and leads wonderfully to the "still-in-the-process" ending.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #190 on: August 09, 2008, 07:35:40 PM »

After the show, I went ahead and headed to the stage door - which is something I haven't done in a long time.  The cast came right out and signed autographs, took pictures with their fans, and talked with their friends and admirers.  -And then they headed back inside to catch up with their friends and family who had come to see them that afternoon.  -Hunter Bell's family was sitting behind me this afternoon.  From what I could tell, they actually make the time to head out to the stage door right almost right after they leave the stage.  -It's a short show - 90 minutes - so I guess they can sort of continue the show for a couple of more minutes before they head to dinner.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #191 on: August 09, 2008, 07:38:18 PM »

...Then I spent the past few hours enjoying the City.  Hell's Kitchen.  Bryant Park.  Koreatown.  Madison Square Park.  Union Square Park.  Chelsea.

*Oh, and Westway Diner, Amy's Bread, Shake Shack and the Virgin Megastore.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #192 on: August 09, 2008, 07:40:37 PM »

The doctor is in:

Best guess is bursitis (House-maid's Knee).

Best OTC remedy Aleve (Naproxcen)

If you're fortunate, the bursitis will move to your mid-arm and you'll have "Tennis Elbow" - butcher than "House-Maid's Knee.

5˘ please!

The Office is closed.

der Brucer

Could be.  When I was in college, I developed a touch of bursitis in my left shoulder.

There is still a little bit of pain when I take the stairs, but, otherwise, it didn't seem to hinder me during my walk around New York City today.  -And I guess I walked at least three miles.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #193 on: August 09, 2008, 07:41:22 PM »

Is there a lot of gravel by the reservoir?

Only on the lower path, the one covered by all the trees and shrubs.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #194 on: August 09, 2008, 07:42:06 PM »

I think I will have to get me the DVD of that movie above, cause the guy in the turban kind of sets my heart of fire.

So, are "heart" and "fire" euphemisms?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #195 on: August 09, 2008, 07:42:54 PM »

I never discuss Bollywood with my family. It makes their eyes glaze over.

Well, you know that all of us here on HHW are one big family...

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #196 on: August 09, 2008, 07:43:25 PM »

If anyone is interested you can hear a few of the songs from the new SHREK MUSICAL:

Build Me a Wall.
I could get used to this.
Big Bright Beautiful World.
I know it's today.

http://www.youtube.com/user/graykittykatt

Thanks for posting this!  I'm going to see it on Thursday!  It'll be the very first preview night with the very first audience. ;D Of course, I'm way up in the nose-bleed section...literally!  I'm three rows from the very back of the top balcony. :-\ But I got the whole 5th Avenue season for only $200, so I'm not complaining too much. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #197 on: August 09, 2008, 07:47:17 PM »

Thanks for posting this!  I'm going to see it on Thursday!  It'll be the very first preview night with the very first audience. ;D Of course, I'm way up in the nose-bleed section...literally!  I'm three rows from the very back of the top balcony. :-\ But I got the whole 5th Avenue season for only $200, so I'm not complaining too much. :)

Well... If you can, please send my love - and give them a big kiss too if you like - to Chris Sieber and Ryan Duncan for me!  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #198 on: August 09, 2008, 07:48:56 PM »

I've decided that my feet and legs are REALLY sore from today's four-mile run.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #199 on: August 09, 2008, 07:54:49 PM »

I'm pushing for a law prohibiting Sondheim revivals on Broadway for 10 years. no more animated movies turned into musicals, and the reversion of 42nd Street from a theme park to the den of whores, addicts, and dealers it was in 1979 when it was fun to walk down it.

Elmore, how about no movies at all turned into musicals for a good long while.  I enjoyed Mirren's COUNTRY WIFE.  Now I must see her CHANGELING with Stanley Baker.  Last night, in honour of the late Simon Gray, I watched an old video of QUARTERMAINE'S TERMS.  Edward fox breaks your heart in it.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #200 on: August 09, 2008, 07:55:00 PM »

I've decided that my feet and legs are REALLY sore from today's four-mile run.

Drink more water.  That will help.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #201 on: August 09, 2008, 07:59:10 PM »

Well... If you can, please send my love - and give them a big kiss too if you like - to Chris Sieber and Ryan Duncan for me!  :)

I'll see what I can do!  When I saw Young Frankenstein last year, the stage door was CROWDED!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #202 on: August 09, 2008, 08:04:57 PM »

Elmore, how about no movies at all turned into musicals for a good long while.  I enjoyed Mirren's COUNTRY WIFE.  Now I must see her CHANGELING with Stanley Baker.  Last night, in honour of the late Simon Gray, I watched an old video of QUARTERMAINE'S TERMS.  Edward fox breaks your heart in it.

So... Going on what DR FJL opined yesterday regarding movie-based musicals...

Are there any sort of records regarding how the public - and the writers - felt back in the 17th, 18th and 19th Centuries felt about plays and stories being adapted into operas and scenas?

I mean... If Beaumarchais and Dumas and Shakespeare(!) had not allowed their stories and plays to be adapted, turned and transformed into operas, just think of the great works of Art we would have been deprived of.  "The Barber of Seville", "The Marriage of Figaro", "Camille", "Romeo and Juliet", "A Midsummer Night's Dream", etc. were not "original" ideas when they were taken on by Mozart, Rossini, Puccini, Verdi, Britten and Bernstein (to name just a few).

*And let's not forget the current trend to "operaticize" plays and movies.  "The Fly", anyone?  ;)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 08:16:46 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #203 on: August 09, 2008, 09:02:18 PM »

I spent all evening with Miley Cyrus. First I watched the Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus concert film in regular high definition. It looked very nice. Like most concert films, they intercut the concert with backstage footage, rehearsal footage, and other glimpses of the "real folks" who make up these shows.

It was only 82 minutes, and though the music is definitely not my cup of tea, it was OK. At least it was REAL SINGING and not rapping or beatboxing.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #204 on: August 09, 2008, 09:06:17 PM »

Then I watched all of the bonus features on the disc. There aren't that many. A couple of deleted songs from the show, and then there was an 11-minute day-of-show documentary with Miley and the Jonas Brothers giving a tour of the backstage area, showing us their dressing rooms, doing sound checks, etc. All OK stuff but nothing major.

(I enjoyed the 1080p previews of WALL-E, SLEEPING BEAUTY, and TINKER BELL a lot more.)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #205 on: August 09, 2008, 09:09:31 PM »

I spent all evening with Miley Cyrus. First I watched the Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus concert film in regular high definition. It looked very nice. Like most concert films, they intercut the concert with backstage footage, rehearsal footage, and other glimpses of the "real folks" who make up these shows.

It was only 82 minutes, and though the music is definitely not my cup of tea, it was OK. At least it was REAL SINGING and not rapping or beatboxing.

Do you know if they plan to release that concert film in 3-D since it was presented that way in some theatres?  -Or that may have been a different Hannah/Miley concert film.  ???
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #206 on: August 09, 2008, 09:09:57 PM »

Sounds like you had fun tonight at the show, and afterwards, DR Jose! Again it makes me miss NYC.

Matt H.

« Reply #207 on: August 09, 2008, 09:10:11 PM »

Then, I put in my contacts, donned the 3-D glasses (the red-blue kind they must always use for TV/3-D) and rewatched the Hannah/Miley concert in 3-D.

The 3-D worked nicely for about 70% of the movie. Occasionally, the separations weren't in sync, and we'd get ghosting of images instead of a dimensional image, but when Hannah comes strutting down that long ramp into the audience, and there are arms of her fans all around, the effects was really startling.

Of course, they did some of the usual 3-D tricks: throwing guitar picks and drumsticks into the lens, shoving fingers, mics, mic stands, and guitars into the lens, etc. Not as effective as when you see it in a theater, but it works OK if you have a big screen TV.

I'm kind of glad to be done with this, however.

Matt H.

« Reply #208 on: August 09, 2008, 09:10:42 PM »

Do you know if they plan to release that concert film in 3-D since it was presented that way in some theatres?  -Or that may have been a different Hannah/Miley concert film.  ???

See above post.

;D

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #209 on: August 09, 2008, 09:12:35 PM »

Has anyone else read the hysterical story about that lady who had her dog cloned and how she turns out to be a nutcase who stalked a Mormon missionary and made him her sex slave decades ago?  I love stories where Mormon missionaries are made into sex slaves.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up