Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: SHINY SHOES  (Read 26305 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:SHINY SHOES
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2004, 09:52:00 AM »

Good Morning!

-Another beautiful day here in Richmond, and I'm hankering for a walk to see all the animals and the Japanese Garden over at Maymont this afternoon.. Hmm...

I had another good night's sleep, but I also slept in again... but not until noon again... close, but not until noon.

Potatos - or Potatoes, if you prefer...

For some strange reason, I've never had that much success with boiling potatos for potato salad.  I either under-cook them or over-cook them - never just right.  *I think it's related to my apparent inability to make rice on the stove top - and even sometimes in a rice cooker.  Hmmm... maybe those are just a sign that I should not be eating them since they're carbs. ;-)

But I do love a good potato salad, and I'm partial to the oil and vinegar based recipes like the one DR Donna posted.  And her recipe could be a base for a multitude of variations... For a Greek Style, just add a bit more lemon juice, parsley, some rosemary (remember, a little goes a long way), and, if you like, some crumbled feta.  For her Lebanese version, I'd also add some sumac - not the poisonous kind, but the purple spice kind.  It adds a very subtle (at least to me) extra sour note, and those small purple flecks add a nice dash of color.  Oh, and you could also add capers, roasted red peppers, olives, etc.... Hmm...

Vegetable dish wise, I'm a big fan of the simple preps.  Green beans almondine - boiled or steamed green beans with some butter topped with some toasted, slivered almonds (and maybe a splash of lemon juice).  Asparagus - steamed then topped with brown butter and crushed hazelnuts.  Glazed carrots - boiled carrots cooked with some sugar and honey and butter... oh, and maybe a dash of fresh ginger.  Oh, and cole slaw - chop cabbage and dress with a combination of mayo, vinegar, salt, pepper and whatever else you find in your fridge or cabinet (I like pineapple cole slaw myself).

Oh, and then there's the Asian style cole slaw -

Gently heat some sesame oil in a small saucepan with some coarsely ground pepper - szechuan preferably, but black pepper work well too.  Then combine with some rice wine vinegar (unseasoned and seasoned work well).  Add sugar to taste.  Then pour over some chopped cabbage.  You can do it on the fly, but if you have the time, you can salt and drain the cabbage in advance to help the "crunch factor".

*I'll see if I can track down my actual recipe later on today.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2004, 10:02:08 AM »

William E. Lurie: I believe it is a scam - do not update your info.  Just use paypal as always - if there's a problem, then update your info FROM THEIR SITE.  If you want to have some fun, go to the link provided in the e-mail and then look at the address in your address bar - you'll see it's not paypal at all, but a bunch of numbers.  The surest way to double check is to go to their site and go to your account.  If there's a problem the info will be there.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2004, 10:05:44 AM »

Steamed Brussel Sprouts with either lemon/dill butter or chedar cheese sauce!

The only thing I use Paypal for is the Kritzer books.  I have been getting regular e-mail about updating my informatio  (which I will do on their site when I pre-order KRITZER TIME next week).  However these e-mails keep coming in - 2 yesterday.  Are the legit or spam?  Do any of you DRs have this problem?

DR WEL - Some of them are spam.  Some of them are not.  However, the real PayPal e-mails will usually direct you to log-in to PayPal to update your info.  They will not provide you with a supposed direct link to your PayPal information.

Just remember, if ANY e-mail asks you to enter information that company already has, then it's most likely spam, and a scam.

PayPal's site has a few warnings concerning fake e-mails.   I'd check that out first.

Btw, the only time I ever got a legitimate e-mail from PayPal was when they were reminding me that my credit card's expiration date was currently expiring.  And my credit card expiration date did need to be updated.  And I only updated it by logging into PayPal directly.

-Sorry, this was kind of rambly, but hope it makes sense, helps.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2004, 10:08:10 AM »

Ditto ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Donna

• It's never too late.
    • Cabaret West
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2004, 10:09:10 AM »

Dear Reader Jose,

Your posts about food always leave me hungry! I must try your variations.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2004, 10:11:02 AM by Donna »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2004, 10:18:18 AM »

They are SPAM DR WEL...do NOT do it.  PayPal will never send you such an email.

Forward them to spoof@paypal.com and then delete them.  They will investigate.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2004, 10:56:03 AM »

SWW when you have been without a dryer, it is indeed very good news to have one again.  With all your dogs you must have a good amount of wash to do.  Oops, reminds me Echo is waiting for me to dry her off & let her roam the house again.

Jane

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2004, 11:23:26 AM »

Steamed Brussel Sprouts with either lemon/dill butter or chedar cheese sauce!

The only thing I use Paypal for is the Kritzer books.  I have been getting regular e-mail about updating my informatio  (which I will do on their site when I pre-order KRITZER TIME next week).  However these e-mails keep coming in - 2 yesterday.  Are the legit or spam?  Do any of you DRs have this problem?

The sprouts sound good.

If they are asking for personal information, including your credit card & S.S. # it is probably a SCAM.  We often receive similar requests from services we use.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2004, 11:42:28 AM »

William E. Lurie: I believe it is a scam - do not update your info.  Just use paypal as always - if there's a problem, then update your info FROM THEIR SITE.  If you want to have some fun, go to the link provided in the e-mail and then look at the address in your address bar - you'll see it's not paypal at all, but a bunch of numbers.  The surest way to double check is to go to their site and go to your account.  If there's a problem the info will be there.

Likewise any e-mail from eBay, Amazon, or your ISP.  If there truely is any kind of problem, you'll find out when you try to access your account at the site.

I wish I had a good potato recipe handy, but I pretty much come from the "Let's try this, let's try that" school of cooking.  From this I've learnt over the years that potato pancakes are great with garlic and dill weed added, vegatable and olive oil are not always interchangable, and that it never hurts to add a teaspoon of Tabasco to just about anything.

I *was* planning on watching THE MAIDS on DVD tonight, but I see that AIRPORT is on TCM.  I think that might be the ticket, instead.

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2004, 11:42:45 AM »

Good morning - or whatever time of day it is in your neck of the woods.

PennyO - Merde!

I have errands to do before getting ready for the WGA festivities. They're being held much earlier in the day than ever before and it wiill feel a little strange putting on an evening gown at 2.  And having dinner at 4 will make me feel like I'm having the Early Bird Special. But, hey, what fun!

Jane

« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2004, 11:54:16 AM »

I don’t cook them at home, and you rarely find them in a restaurant, but I love sweet potato fries.

I make mashed potatoes various ways, sometimes adding garlic or green onions.  For a casserole I add sour cream and parmesan cheese & bake it.  At home, I mostly make them whipped with lots of butter, milk and salt.  There must be leftovers for the next day to make my mother’s recipe of fried mashed potatoes.  You fry patties in butter, then top with Lyle’s Golden Syrup.

As a vegetarian I should have loads of recipes, and I do, but on a daily basis I just eat my veggies steamed and plain or tossed with basmati that has been toasted in olive oil, then cooked in water and seasoned with salt or salt & saffron.  For a special treat I melt butter with cumin and pour it over my string beans.  In the summer we will have fresh vegetables from the garden.  Often Keith will sauté a wonderful mix of the fresh veggies in olive oil.  There will be walla walla onions, fava beans, edamame and sweet peas, just to name a few.  

Jane

« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2004, 11:55:45 AM »

Panni & Bruce, I too want to see a picture of you both decked out in your evening clothes.

Have fun.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2004, 11:57:35 AM »

BK and Panni -- Enjoy your afternoon/evening.  We want photos!

PennyO -- Knock 'em dead tonight!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2004, 08:14:40 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2004, 12:00:04 PM »

TCB-Pannik?  Unintentional or not-LOL

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2004, 12:30:39 PM »

Dan the Man, THE MAIDS is very weird.

BK & Panni, I went to the WGA awards 3 of the 4 years I was on the WGA Board of Directors, when I could attend free. But even free, by the fourth year the thrill was definitely gone and we decided we'd rather be in England, which we were.  And nothing really compared to the first year when Jon Voight was our dinner companion.  I could actually be there this year in an official capacity, helping out, as I am on the media relations committee, but I would still have to shell out a hundred and fifty bucks for a ticket for my wife to sit at a table of strangers alone, while I shunted nominees and presenters about...If I can't drink and party, why go to work?  Besides I'm on a deadline.

I will say the writers awards are usually the funniest awards, because writers are wittier and smarter than most actors and directors.  I wonder if Hal Kanter will do his usual shtick?

Re: All this weight and plateau talk.  Yes, Jennifer, fruit could be undermining your weight loss.  But I find actual poundage lost deceptive...because when I diet, I also exercise.  Exercising builds muscle which weighs more than fat.  Instead of using a scale, my barometers are how my pants fit and stipping myself buck-naked and standing in front of a full-length mirror and deciding if I like what I see or not.

I recommend that everyone exercise if they are dieting (and even if they're not), because if you're dieting without exercising, all you're doing is turning fat flab into skinny flab and not getting toned and building muscle.  

Also when you exercise, all you have to do is eat sensibly, not deprive yourself.

The key to weight loss is very, very simple.  You burn more calories than you take in.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2004, 12:33:10 PM »

I recommend everyone go to Yankee Fog to read what fellow scribe of Panni's and mine has written about gay marriage.  Think most of you will enjoy it.

The link: www.yankeefog.com/london/archives/000036.html

Charles Pogue

« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2004, 12:40:35 PM »

By the by, the fellow scribe's name is Jacob Sager Weinstein, former writer on the old HBO Dennis Miller Show (before Dennis went whacko-conservative on us), now residing in London.  He's a very delightful and talented fellow.

Jane

« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2004, 12:44:46 PM »

Thank you CP  :D

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2004, 12:46:14 PM »

Great article, DR Charles Pogue.

Re:  PayPal & eBay "spoofs" (I wish they'd just call them scams, which is what they are):  I frequently DO answer them, putting in usernames like "You're f***ed" and passwords like "See you in Court" or "I'm an Attorney General."  Make them work for their living like the rest of us!!
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

William E. Lurie

« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2004, 12:48:47 PM »

Thanks to all you DRs who confirmed what I expected... that it is spam.  I will forward the next one to them.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2004, 01:03:45 PM »

I'm back and to prove it, I'm here.  Lovely postings, but we really do need more recipes.  I'd like to try some vegetable recipes this week, so keep them coming or, at the very least, keep them cumin.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2004, 01:05:58 PM »

DR WEL:  they're getting very clever with these spoofs--reproducing the look of the original websites.  One big tipoff--hold your mouse cursor over the hyperlink and see what it says--if it doesn't start with https: (S for secure), then is immediately followed by the name of the website (e.g., https://ebay.com/update, etc.), it's a fraud.  It's kind of fun to see what the hyperlinks are (or to look at the header information on the original email).  A lot of the spammers are not very bright when it comes to covering their tracks; they used up all their available brain cells replicating the look of the original site!  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2004, 01:19:24 PM »

Yes, I really hate these scammers, and I'll bet they've actually fooled a few people, despite the repeated warnings.  The first time it ever happened to me was with an AOL scam, and I actually had gone to the page and begun filling in the information, but they hung themselves by asking questions that AOL would NEVER ask - mother's maiden name, stuff they'd need to really access your accounts.  SSN (AOL doesn't have or need such info), etc.  I closed it down immediately and sent it off to AOL.  The way I understand it, the scammers only keep that address up for an hour or two, get what they can, and then change it.

Jane

« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2004, 01:35:43 PM »

Bruce, are you looking for anything special?  Are you having company or is it just for yourself?  Do you want the dish to stand by itself (have fun with that statement) or as a side dish to something special? What are your favorites and what don’t you like?  Fattening recipes or low cal?

Jennifer

« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2004, 01:36:54 PM »

I've received 4 of these in the last 2 days. It's very upsetting.

They show as being from service@paypal.com and they are called "confirm information!".

The scariest part is that if you click on the link, it looks EXACLTY like paypal's real site (except the link is not www.paypal-anything).  What's even worse is that the other links on their page are real. So if you click on anything at the bottom, it will take you to the real paypal website.

I always alert paypal's security center whenever I get one of these.

This one is so convincing. I'm just really afraid that people are going to believe it.  Although the easiest way to tell it's not real is by the info that they are asking for.  Paypal would never ask for your bank info or pin #.

I've only once had a real message asking for info from paypal and that was when my credit card expired. But they always tell you to go directly from their website, to make sure any emails are real.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2004, 01:39:50 PM »

Jane: I just never do vegetables, so I'm interested to try things.  I can eat butter and most sauces on them, I wouldn't mind trying some sort of casserole - just a variety of idea.  I used to saute different kinds of squash and onions in butter, and I remember enjoying that.

Jennifer

« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2004, 01:48:13 PM »

Ha DR Jose: I see we both had paypal tell us our credit cards had expired!  However, the truly sad part about that, was that I almost didn't believe it was real (since I've gotten so many fake emails from them) :(

Good Luck to PennyO!

And I hope we get a picture of BK and DR Panni.

Jane

« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2004, 01:52:19 PM »

This is popular with ALL guests that eat at our home!

Keith’s Famous Thai Stir-Fry

18-oz extra firm tofu, cubed
75% Olive oil
25% Sesame oil

In a large pan, braise cubed tofu in oils on medium heat until golden brown on all sides.  Remove from heat and drain on paper towels.

50% Canola oil
50% Sesame oil
¼ cup pure Vermont maple syrup
½ cup chunky peanut butter
3 cloves garlic, pressed
1 medium onion, chopped
¼-lb Shitake mushrooms, sliced
¼ to ½ -lb snow peas
1 carrot, grated
¼ to ½ lb broccoli
1-package Japanese Udon Noodles
½ cup honey-roasted peanuts

In a large wok, on medium heat, heat enough oils to coat pan.  When oils are hot, add garlic.  When lightly brown, add onions.  When onions are translucent, add mushrooms.

Continue cooking & stirring for five minutes.

Add maple syrup along with snow peas.  Continue cooking and stirring for five minutes.

Add peanut butter along with broccoli and carrots.  Continue cooking and stirring for five minutes.

Add Udon Noodles, seasoning packet (that comes with the noodles).  ADD TOFU BACK INTO THE STIR-FRY.  Continue cooking and stirring for five minutes.

Remove from heat.  Place in large casserole dish and sprinkle honey-roasted peanuts on top.

Serves 6.

Jennifer

« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2004, 01:53:54 PM »

I'm also interested in vegetable recipes.  I mostly just steam brocolli ... however, I'm so lazy, I usually just microwave asparagus in a cup (takes like a minute).

I LOVE asparagus, so I should really find some good recipes. I think some sort of vegetable casserole (without potatoes) sounds GREAT. Need to look into that.

And yes DR Jose's recipes are making my mouth water.

Jennifer

« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2004, 01:59:37 PM »

Re: All this weight and plateau talk.  Yes, Jennifer, fruit could be undermining your weight loss.  But I find actual poundage lost deceptive...because when I diet, I also exercise.  Exercising builds muscle which weighs more than fat.  Instead of using a scale, my barometers are how my pants fit and stipping myself buck-naked and standing in front of a full-length mirror and deciding if I like what I see or not.

I recommend that everyone exercise if they are dieting (and even if they're not), because if you're dieting without exercising, all you're doing is turning fat flab into skinny flab and not getting toned and building muscle.  

Also when you exercise, all you have to do is eat sensibly, not deprive yourself.

The key to weight loss is very, very simple.  You burn more calories than you take in.

Thanks now that I think about it, I think the fruit WAS stopping the weight loss.  But for the past few weeks, I've been more interested in feeling good, rather than losing actual weight.

Yes I almost always go on an exercise binge when I diet.  Great advice.  But for some reason this time it's been hard.

I like exercising OUTSIDE cause it doesn't feel like execise. In the summer I can bike ride everyday.

But I'm doing pilates everyday if it kills me.  But boy is it hard to do it when your body is aching from the day before :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up