Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: DID CHARO EAT A CHURRO?  (Read 36108 times)

Ginny

Re:DID CHARO EAT A CHURRO?
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2008, 06:31:33 AM »

And now 'tis time for me to head on down to the D train in order to meet up with some fellow DRs...

Laters...

Take your time, DR Jose.  We're running a little behind - DR Elmore kept us out last night, doncha know!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2008, 06:32:32 AM »

Good morning, all!  DR Jose, I suspect Victor will be in all weekend and that Danny, Rebecca and the boys are away on a long weekend.

Back to Christmas charts today; I have to finish them up and I no longer have the excuse of feeling too badly to work for a long period.  I also got a new bookshelf that I need to assemble over the weekend, and if I prove inept at the assemblage, I may need to call DR Jose, Richard & Ginny to help me out.

DR vixmom, I can't believe you've delayed in getting tickets for SOUTH PACIFIC; I believe Tony winner Paulo Szot ileaves around Nov 1, so get your tickets ASAP.

Happy Birthday to DR Hisaka; I never quite figured out why she left is.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2008, 06:33:15 AM »

Take your time, DR Jose.  We're running a little behind - DR Elmore kept us out last night, doncha know!

don't blame me; I just sat on a park bench with you till the 104 showed up!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2008, 06:33:23 AM »

Vibes to DR Ronp. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(ps i am waiting to find out who won veto on BB - they went to bed without saying - what nerve!).

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2008, 06:34:27 AM »

Speaking of Allen Jones, wouldn't it be nice if they finally released the 1936 version of SHOW BOAT onto DVD?

Jones stars in that, along with Irene Dunne, Helen Morgan, Paul Robeson and Charles Winninger.

I have a good copy that was released legally in Brazil (no subtitles), under the title MAGNOLIA.

Supposedly, there's a set coming out with all three film versions of SHOW BOAT, and I do wish they'd get a move on!

Jennifer

« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2008, 06:36:23 AM »

A muscle on the right side of my neck/shoulder is acting up. Last weekend before the circus it started hurting for some unknown reason. It has been hurting on and off all week. Last night it started hurting more. Then i went to bed and it was fine. but now it is hurting again. I have such bad luck with my back/neck!

Anybody know any remedies? Ice it?  I have muscle relaxants which do help. But any type of medicine like this is almost too strong for my body. I took 1/2 of one last sunday and my whole body was out of it for more than 24 hours.

I wonder about those little pellets (homeopathic, i forget the exact name) that i took for my back all those months ago. I should probably ask the guy at that store if they could be used for this too.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2008, 06:38:53 AM »

A muscle on the right side of my neck/shoulder is acting up. Last weekend before the circus it started hurting for some unknown reason. It has been hurting on and off all week. Last night it started hurting more. Then i went to bed and it was fine. but now it is hurting again. I have such bad luck with my back/neck!

I hope it didn't affect your performance! :)

Seriously, there are these magi called in comon parlance "doctors." Check one out.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 06:39:49 AM by elmore3003 »

Ginny

« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2008, 06:45:18 AM »

don't blame me; I just sat on a park bench with you till the 104 showed up!

:-*
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2008, 07:11:56 AM »

Jose - I was in Row F for the final perf of Skip's show at 59E59 on Thursday night, when Ginny and Richard were in row B.  (Don't worry about it, mixing things up happens even to the best of us once we hit 40; it's kind of a line of demarcation.  :)  )

FJL

« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2008, 07:14:23 AM »

Jose - Please let us know as early as you can about Sunday at 5:30 dinner - but you know that we'd really enjoy your being here if you can come.

FJL

« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2008, 07:28:57 AM »

B.D. Wong seems to have been blogging about getting ready to do Skip's show HERRINGBONE at the McCarter.  If you have a few spare hours, it's fun reading - a lot of info, but the details of the process are surely an interesting document for the McCarter.

http://www.mccarter.org/blog/index.php

It is a fine team on HERRINGBONE.  I'm sure Bruce and Jose and Larry especially know some of these folk.

Music Director    Dan  Lipton
Bass                    Benjamin  Campbell
Drums            Richard  Huntley
Book                    Tom  Cone
Music            Skip  Kennon
Lyrics            Ellen  Fitzhugh
Direction            Roger  Rees
Choreographer    Darren  Lee
Set Design    Eugene  Lee
Costume Design William Ivey  Long
Lighting design    Kenneth  Posner
Sound Design    Scott  Lehrer
Sound Design    Leon  Rothenberg

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2008, 07:40:54 AM »

Speaking of Allen Jones, wouldn't it be nice if they finally released the 1936 version of SHOW BOAT onto DVD?

Jones stars in that, along with Irene Dunne, Helen Morgan, Paul Robeson and Charles Winninger.

I have a good copy that was released legally in Brazil (no subtitles), under the title MAGNOLIA.

It was SUPPOSED to come out this year in a box set combined with the other two versions of SHOW BOAT that Warners controls. The 1951 version was to receive Ultra-Resolution updating, and the others were to be remastered.

Alas, I've read not a word from Warner about why it didn't come out this year.

I just have to content myself with the SHOW BOAT laserdisc box and the Criterion laserdisc of the 1936 version which has Miles Krueger's enthusiastic commentary.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2008, 07:41:38 AM »

The next time someone says, "Be still my beating heart", offer them one of these:

Krispy Kreme cheddar bacon cheeseburgers at the Google cafeteria (NYC)

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Michael

« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2008, 07:43:30 AM »

They are supposed to release it in a superset similar to the one released on Laser Disk many moons ago.

All three versions of the film. Silent, 30's and 50's.

Wouldn't it be great if they also add the Papermill version that was on PBS and the documentary on the making of the restored CD score that Elmore worked on.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2008, 07:44:40 AM »

Elmore beat me to it about the Show Boat release
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2008, 07:44:54 AM »

DR Vixmom,

RE: an NYC trip. No, my friends and I haven't gotten up to NYC in three years. Various conflicts and monitary conditions have continually postponed our trip. We're vowing to try for next summer, but who knows? It's so WILDLY expensive to travel anywhere now, and when one is living on a pension, well, . . . .

Michael

« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2008, 07:45:09 AM »

And Matt Hough
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2008, 07:45:57 AM »

B.D. Wong seems to have been blogging about getting ready to do Skip's show HERRINGBONE at the McCarter.  If you have a few spare hours, it's fun reading - a lot of info, but the details of the process are surely an interesting document for the McCarter.

It is a fine team on HERRINGBONE.  I'm sure Bruce and Jose and Larry especially know some of these folk.

Music Director    Dan  Lipton
Bass                    Benjamin  Campbell
Drums            Richard  Huntley
Book                    Tom  Cone
Music            Skip  Kennon
Lyrics            Ellen  Fitzhugh
Direction            Roger  Rees
Choreographer    Darren  Lee
Set Design    Eugene  Lee
Costume Design William Ivey  Long
Lighting design    Kenneth  Posner
Sound Design    Scott  Lehrer
Sound Design    Leon  Rothenberg

Some of these names look familiar. Skip Kennon? Do I know him? ;)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2008, 07:46:38 AM »

I am so looking forward to seeing this!

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2008, 07:47:15 AM »

DR Ron Pulliam:

A lovely tribute to your late aunt. I felt similarly when my father passed away at 87. He had lived a VERY full life: gotten to do everything he ever wanted to do and wanted for nothing. I took great comfort in his having a long and very happy life with very little in the way of suffering or problems and felt very little remorse at his passing.

Matt H.

« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2008, 07:48:03 AM »

And Matt Hough

LOL!

Thanks for noticing!

8)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2008, 07:48:16 AM »

I've always been fond of Jack Jones' Wives & Lovers.

I realize I have been remiss in conveying some sad news.  Tewkesbury, our foundling pup, that has been with us for several years had to be put down last week.  About a year and a half ago, he had been diagnosed with incurable kidney disease.  He defied the predictions and, for a long time, was the healthiest dying dog around...even though he was on a special diet and getting fluids twice a week (these last few months three times a week).  But it was obvious, in these last weeks, he was slowing down.  After a rather horrible night, where he was in great pain that no medication seem to quell, we made the fateful decision to spare him any further suffering.  The doctor came to the house and gently spirited him away.  The next day, we had him cremated and his ashes now reside in our pet shrine next to all our other beloved pets who've passed on.  RIP, Tewkes!

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2008, 07:48:55 AM »

Good morning!

Not so cool morning, and I shut things back up pretty quickly since the air wasn't quite cool enough to cool down the house. The A/C hasn't clicked back on yet, but it's only a matter of time.

Michael

« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2008, 07:48:55 AM »

Never been a Jack Jones or Steve Lawrence fan. Although I have on my IPOD I have three songs by Jones: Call Me Irresponsible, To Love and Be Loved, & Where Love Has Gone. I have one by Lawrence: More (Theme From Mondo Cane)
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2008, 07:50:22 AM »

I've always been fond of Jack Jones' Wives & Lovers.

I realize I have been remiss in conveying some sad news.  Tewkesbury, our foundling pup, that has been with us for several years had to be put down last week.  About a year and a half ago, he had been diagnosed with incurable kidney disease.  He defied the predictions and, for a long time, was the healthiest dying dog around...even though he was on a special diet and getting fluids twice a week (these last few months three times a week).  But it was obvious, in these last weeks, he was slowing down.  After a rather horrible night, where he was in great pain that no medication seem to quell, we made the fateful decision to spare him any further suffering.  The doctor came to the house and gently spirited him away.  The next day, we had him cremated and his ashes now reside in our pet shrine next to all our other beloved pets who've passed on.  RIP, Tewkes!

May he go gently into light.
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2008, 07:50:45 AM »

I admire all three singers in today's TOD, but I can't say that any one of them is a favorite.

Still:

Jack Jones - "Lollipops and Roses"

Nat King Cole - "Mona Lisa"

Matt H.

« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2008, 07:53:25 AM »

As for Steve Lawrence, of course I knew him from TV, but when I first heard to OCR of WHAT MAKES SAMMY RUN, I was sure he would be the next great Broadway leading man a la Alfred Drake. That is one fantastic performance on record, and I liked the show, too, and him in it.

Matt H.

« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2008, 07:55:20 AM »

Today I'll be watching as many episodes of GHOST WHISPERER as I can squeeze into the afternoon and evening. There are no more bonus features and no more commentaries that I noticed with a quick glance, so it will just be going through the rest of the season which will take some time.

Matt H.

« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2008, 07:56:24 AM »

Much as I like GHOST WHISPERER, I'm eager to get finished with it so I can begin with LIFE since I didn't see every episode of its half-season run. But I likely won't be getting to it until tomorrow, maybe not until tomorrow night.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2008, 07:56:36 AM »

... and monitary...

What an unexpected pleasure - "monetary" -  ;D

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up