Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: WRITING WITH A. FERVOR  (Read 40578 times)

Ginny

Re:WRITING WITH A. FERVOR
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2008, 09:21:31 AM »

Lunchtime - and I think I like cold Shaddock's pizza almost as much as hot Shaddock's pizza.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2008, 09:23:17 AM »

Hello, everyone.

It started raining last night and hasn't stopped. I'm surprised Delaware hasn't seen much rain--maybe it went further west than expected.

Good luck to Fred & company in this rain! I hope it doesn't spoil his plans.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2008, 09:26:03 AM »

TOD:
I came to the film noir partay late (I tried to type "party", but my fingers kept typing "partay", so partay it is), but I watch a lot of it now. Favorites? I'd have to think about that. And, yes, I know that wasn't exactly the TOD.

Ginny

« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2008, 09:30:33 AM »

DR Jane - you asked last night, after I'd crashed, if I'd be going to the October meeting in NYC.  The answer, even before I decided to retire, has been NO all along.  I have too many family obligations in October that require vacation time for me to ask for professional development time, too.  I went to a comparable conference in Cleveland in early June.

And, that's also why Richard and I took a vacation trip to NYC last weekend - I couldn't let a whole year go by without at least one visit to The City.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2008, 09:33:25 AM »

DR Ginny, I suspected you weren't going when you made your recent trip.  You missed my asking while you were in NY-gosh, didn't you read all the posts? ;)

I hope October is a very fun family filled month for you.

Jane

« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2008, 09:33:42 AM »

DR Laura, did it stay quiet in your neighborhood last night?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2008, 09:36:13 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Je suis fini.

And it did turn out to be a nice morning, and I had a lot of "breaks" since there were maybe only 20 singers out of 55 people who auditioned.  

And, now, off to the Festival of India.

*And, yes, DR MBarnum I shall take pictures of some of the cultural highlights. ;)

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2008, 09:37:30 AM »

And I promise not to throw the tomatoes at anyone...even if they deserve it :)

I've got over fifty quarts of home-canned tomatoes. . . . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Ginny

« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2008, 09:41:57 AM »

DR Ginny, I suspected you weren't going when you made your recent trip.  You missed my asking while you were in NY-gosh, didn't you read all the posts? ;)

Oops, must've missed that one - sorry!

I hope October is a very fun family filled month for you.

October 17-20 - road trip to Georgia with my sister, our mother, and our aunt (mother of the groom) for my cousin's wedding.

October 25-31 - road trip to Wisconsin for Richard's graduation from Nashotah House.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2008, 09:44:22 AM »

DR Cillaliz - That's a bit of a hike from Bethesda to South Arlington where Signature is. In no traffic, it would be about a 30 to 40 minute drive since there's no direct route there. The Metro ride to Metro Center on the Red Line, then the transfer to the Blue Line to get out to Pentagon City would also be about 45 minutes.. Then the 10 minute cab ride to the theatre.  So, if you do plan to see the show just make sure to leave directly after your class.  -And there are plenty of dining choices around the theatre.

*Oh, the cab ride from Bethesda to Signature would probably run you about $50.00 or more. And that's if you can find a cab to bring you from Maryland into Virginia.
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2008, 09:44:52 AM »

Cilla - If you arrive at the Pentagon City Metro station, there should be cabs lined up there.  But even though the Signature site says the cab fare is about $7 from that stop, that's a bit out-of-date; it ended up being about $12 both times in good traffic, which is not a big difference in real dollars, but just so you know the cab driver isn't trying to con you. :)

For the cab ride back, you may need to have the theatre call you a cab; they didn't seem to be roaming the street, even in the beautiful shopping area of the Shirlington Village, where the theatre is.   This is easy in the daytime where if someone takes your cab, you can go back in and get them to call another one; but we did have a problem with the drivers taking other people even though a cab was called by the theater for us.

Jane

« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2008, 09:47:06 AM »

DR Ginny, sounds like you will have a fun October.  I didn't really expect you to see my question the first time I asked it.

Ginny

« Reply #72 on: September 06, 2008, 09:50:26 AM »

DR Ginny, sounds like you will have a fun October.  I didn't really expect you to see my question the first time I asked it.

When I told Richard about the trip with my girl relatives, his only question was, "So, who's not going to be speaking to whom when you get back?"

Ginny

« Reply #73 on: September 06, 2008, 09:56:27 AM »

Back out to the public - maybe I'll encounter another flake who thinks he's being linked on the internet to the Oklahoma City bombings  ::)

Jane

« Reply #74 on: September 06, 2008, 10:06:49 AM »

For the last hour Sherlock has been flopped in front of the door to the garage.  He is up now that he heard me fill his treat bag.  

Off for our hike.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #75 on: September 06, 2008, 10:09:27 AM »

I just finished watching the first half of the new DVD of HOW THE WEST WAS WON.

Obviously, the film loses a lot on a television screen, even a 50" one like mine.  So much of the picture was filmed in long shots to take advantage of the Cinerama process, but, dramatically, this is a negative on a smaller screen, since you can't see much of the actor's faces except in a rare medium close-up.

On the plus side, the scenery is gorgeous, the score is magnificent and the action sequences, though no longer engulfing, are still exciting.  The script is servicable, if not compelling.

Now, on to Part II.

8)
You can dream…or you can do.

Ginny

« Reply #76 on: September 06, 2008, 10:10:00 AM »

Back out to the public - maybe I'll encounter another flake who thinks he's being linked on the internet to the Oklahoma City bombings  ::)

:P Same guy's still here!

Ginny

« Reply #77 on: September 06, 2008, 10:36:55 AM »

DR Elmore - I just emailed an article to you.  The good news is that you're already doing a lot of what it suggests!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: September 06, 2008, 10:54:36 AM »

And I just sent you an email thanking you for it.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Kerry

« Reply #79 on: September 06, 2008, 11:06:10 AM »

TOD:

Sabrina
Caine Mutiny
Casablanca
In a Lonely Place
Dark Passage
Key Largo
The Two Mrs. Carrolls
Maltese Falcon
It All Came True
I like boat races.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #80 on: September 06, 2008, 11:07:00 AM »

DR Tomovoz:

Taffy

Do you still think it is the same as toffee?

I guess kids don't have taffy-pulls any more (I know I am going to heckled for that).  It used to be a lot of fun, but you also ended up burning the Heck out of your fingers.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #81 on: September 06, 2008, 11:10:18 AM »

Magic Mommy and both Grandlads are down to their trailer for the weekend (Son-in-Law is still working on my ex's house in California trying to get the dump in "sellable" shape). We agreed to pre-prep a dinner so we can all eat-in rather than have her brave the elements to go out for dinner. After shopping at the market, we went to the trailor to drop off some stuff. The Grandlads were thrilled! Not by the bags of candy, but by the bananas and apples! Grandpa brought fruit! It's so easy to bring pleasure to third world children.

der Brucer

And here's hoping it doesn't blow too hard - it seems renting a seasonal trailer space isn't enough - we have to add a patio, a deck, a gazebo and a large awning attached to the trailor.
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #82 on: September 06, 2008, 11:21:55 AM »

But how many talents were silenced ovr the years because the critics needed to be nasty for the sake of entertaining readers, rather just being advisors to their readers?

I suspect that NY print reviews that are "entertaining" are in more demand by publishers than those that honestly seek to enlighten the public. Nasty critics sell papers. Unlike the good old days, when a show had everything hang on a B'Way run, today we have regional theatre's willing to take a chance on works without a B'Way pedigree. We also have CDs and the Internet to help expand an audience appreciation for a show un-crowned by the NYT. Hopefully, the 21st Century will silence fewer creative voices.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #83 on: September 06, 2008, 11:24:42 AM »

Well, it seems Sarah Palin has casue a stir over her views on sex-ed - but not how one would have expected!

LATIMES

Palin appears to disagree with McCain on sex education
The Republican vice presidential candidate says students should be taught about condoms. Her running mate -- and the party platform -- disagree.

der Brucer

FJL

« Reply #84 on: September 06, 2008, 11:27:53 AM »

Thanks for your thoughts on that subject, Michael S and der B.

See everybody on Monday night!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #85 on: September 06, 2008, 11:28:05 AM »

Sadly I am not keen on either Obama or Mccain. They both have to do a lot of talking in my book.

Well, it will surely be one or the other - and the election will most likely be one in which every vote counts. Your best chance is to find the lesser evil.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #86 on: September 06, 2008, 11:36:11 AM »

... As George W proved, the candidate is only the puppet for the party since our current president seems incapable of pullibng any of his own strings.

You sell W. short - the man has a Harvard MBA and is quite capable of steering his own destiny. He picked Cheney, he picked Rumsfeld, he picked Ashcroft, he listened to Karl Rove. He maneuvered the party as much, if not more, than they maneuvered him - and more than anyone, he deserves the blame!

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #87 on: September 06, 2008, 11:43:21 AM »

I'm not aren't talking politics, simply my lack of prejudice to other groups of people.

But Jane, surely you know that prejudice against "others" is the glue that holds both parties together. How often have you seen a fund-raising appeal from a candidate that didn't play to a voter's hates or fears?

der Brucer

Just got a postcard from a winger running for Governor - he assures me he is "good on Immigration"; he presumes I know that "good" means keep "those people" out.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #88 on: September 06, 2008, 11:45:46 AM »

And I promise not to throw the tomatoes at anyone...even if they deserve it :)

Thank you.

der Brucer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: September 06, 2008, 12:06:22 PM »

DR Der Brucer, I see on weather.com that the storm is about to hit Delaware, nd for all I know you're already in the midst of it. Is everything looking okay for your community?

I figure by the time I head out for the anniversary party it will be revving up in my neck of the woods.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Up