Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down

Author Topic: MY OPENING SENTENCE  (Read 57816 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re:MY OPENING SENTENCE
« Reply #270 on: September 24, 2008, 07:02:00 PM »

[size=12]PAGE TEN!!![/size][/b]
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #271 on: September 24, 2008, 07:02:33 PM »

G'night!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #272 on: September 24, 2008, 07:02:54 PM »

Well, I avoided the annoying annoyance for three days, but just had it.  Hopefully it will pass over quickly, like by tomorrow.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #273 on: September 24, 2008, 07:14:09 PM »

In my opinion, they should ALL suspend campaigning.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #274 on: September 24, 2008, 07:15:59 PM »

I only wonder why Sen. McCain didn't first contact the Obama campaign and see about an across the board suspension of the campaign, so that both senators could have made a joint announcement and then both could have flown back to Washington.  Instead, it seems like McCain is just backing out of the debate.

According to one report, he did (Obama still wants the debate). But then it seems he went and made the announcement.  I'm waiting for something on factcheck about all this.

At first I thought McCain just wanted to delay the debates.  If he isn't campaigning either, that is something.  I just hope he is listening to NEW advisers regarding the economic situation & what to do about it.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #275 on: September 24, 2008, 07:22:24 PM »

'night

Cillaliz

« Reply #276 on: September 24, 2008, 07:25:23 PM »

Is it a true suspension of his campaign?  or it more of a way to "avoid" the upcoming, scheduled debates?

I haven't followed this latest development that much - yet - but do you happen to know if he's called on Senator Obama to do the same thing?

Yes, he did and Obama said he was around if they needed him. McCain also called for a meeting of Congressional leaders with President Bush, Himself and Obama and that is going to happen in the morning.  If  they get a bill before Friday, my understanding is the debate will go on, if they don't McCain wants to postpone it to work something out.  There are 43 days left until the election and the topic is foreign policy - not the economy. It doesn't seem that a few days will make a difference.

The experts all say if something isnt' done by the weekend the economy is toast and we're in big trouble. I honestly don't think it's a ploy.  The word is that credit will essentially be frozen and you won't be able to get any credit if something isn't done right away. Since both sides are saying this is the biggest crisis since the great depression, seems to me they better get their butts to work and do something to fix this mess.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 07:26:33 PM by Cillaliz »

Cillaliz

« Reply #277 on: September 24, 2008, 07:28:22 PM »

I only wonder why Sen. McCain didn't first contact the Obama campaign and see about an across the board suspension of the campaign, so that both senators could have made a joint announcement and then both could have flown back to Washington.  Instead, it seems like McCain is just backing out of the debate.

He did talk to Obama and they were working on a joint statement.  Don't think there was a conversation about suspending the campaign.

Cillaliz

« Reply #278 on: September 24, 2008, 07:29:16 PM »

In my opinion, they should ALL suspend campaigning.

Or at least campaign ads, calls, mailings etc

Cillaliz

« Reply #279 on: September 24, 2008, 07:39:19 PM »

Here's the joint statement of McCain/Obama

The following is a joint statement on the economic crisis from John McCain and Barack Obama:

“The American people are facing a moment of economic crisis. No matter how this began, we all have a responsibility to work through it and restore confidence in our economy. The jobs, savings, and prosperity of the American people are at stake.

“Now is a time to come together — Democrats and Republicans — in a spirit of cooperation for the sake of the American people. The plan that has been submitted to Congress by the Bush Administration is flawed, but the effort to protect the American economy must not fail.

“This is a time to rise above politics for the good of the country. We cannot risk an economic catastrophe. Now is our chance to come together to prove that Washington is once again capable of leading this country.”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #280 on: September 24, 2008, 07:45:57 PM »

So much drama for the last hour.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #281 on: September 24, 2008, 07:58:11 PM »

I really liked A TALE OF TWO CITIES in spite of its faults, which are mostly its lyrics. Since I think LES MIZ is a mess with maybe four good songs and a sloppy attempt at telling a story covering 20 years on a Lazy Susan set, I really liked how smoothly the plot ofTWO CITIES was laid out and how nicely it was staged. It's amazing how a wedding veil can show the passage of several years so easily.

While I don't think any of the songs in A TALE OF TWO CITIES is very good, and I think the too-often simplistic lyrics sometimes seem out of character for the singer, I liked the book, set design, and costumes very much. I also liked the cast quite a lot, especially James Barbour who's got a role anyone would kill for. The ingenue playing Lucie Manette redeems herself here after her god-awful turn as the Mermaid Siren on the idiotic soap opera PASSIONS. I liked her look, her bearing, and her lovely voice. Who woulda thought?

It's also got a great supporting cast, including my friend Michael Hayward-Jones, with whom I first worked in 1976 in dinner theatre, un 1998 in MIRETTE at Goodspeed, and this is the first time I've seen him since. It was was good to see Gregg Edelman as well, an old friend since around 1988 and the BABES IN ARMS recording. I think the book for the show is fine, but I'd asure like another set of music and lyrics.

DR Elmore,

Thanks for this full report. It's much appreciated.

Is Rob Richardson listed as part of the ensemble/cast? He was attached to the production for many years in its development, but I'm not sure if he's still around or not. He and I did a couple of shows together some years ago.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #282 on: September 24, 2008, 08:05:07 PM »

I have never seen that option.  I wonder if any one else has it.

Can you prioritize your programs?  Then the favorite two should record first.

No offense, DR Jane, but I don't think you're understanding what he's doing with the viewing. The third show he chose to watch has nothing to do with his cable box. The cable box's DVR was (supposed to be) recording the two shows at once, both at 9 p.m. At the same time, he was watching a show over-the-air using his TV's built-in digital tuner which has nothing whatsoever to do with cable. I do this all the time when I have three shows I want to see all airing at the same time (e.g. GREY'S ANATOMY, SUPERNATURAL, THE OFFICE all on Thursday at 9.)

Matt H.

« Reply #283 on: September 24, 2008, 08:09:12 PM »

Now I get it!  That is not possible for us, we must have our satellite in order to see the shows.  We can't watch any location stations, including the news.

Your TV must not have a built-in digital tuner, then, because if it did, you could watch without the satellite as long as you had rabbit ears attached to that built-in tuner. I have had two HDTVs that didn't have built-in digital tuners, so I either had to buy an over-the-air digital tuner box (and they're much cheaper now than they used to be) or have to rely on what the cable company (or in your case satellite company) offered.

Matt H.

« Reply #284 on: September 24, 2008, 08:13:07 PM »

I managed to watch six more episodes of FRIDAY THE 13th - THE SERIES tonight. My goodness, these 26-episode seasons take forever to get through. I feel like I'm just now making a dent. In this latest batch, I've seen everything from possessed boxing gloves to a charmed compact, tattoo needles which can create live creatures, and a doctor (played by Cliff Gorman) who had Jack the Ripper's scalpel.

Matt H.

« Reply #285 on: September 24, 2008, 08:14:49 PM »

They must have interrupted regular broadcasting on the networks because I noticed CRIMINAL MINDS was running far past 10 p.m. I was going to watch CSI: NY live but when it was obvious CRIMINAL MINDS was running overtime, I just set the DVR to record the program at 11 p.m., too, so I'd be able to see all of CSI: NY.

Matt H.

« Reply #286 on: September 24, 2008, 08:16:10 PM »

I did watch BONES which had the best episode of the season thus far. Really surprising mystery, and a GREAT special guest star. Brought tears to my eyes it was so enjoyable to have this actor on the show. Supposedly this is the first of several visits to the show this season.

Matt H.

« Reply #287 on: September 24, 2008, 08:18:41 PM »

PROJECT RUNWAY:

I didn't agree with the winner (would have put that outfit second), but she's been denied too many times when she deserved to win, so I figured they'd give it to her. They weren't about to let Jerrell win three times in a row (though I LOVED his outfit).

There was no way Suede was going to win the competition, and he's been doing weak work for awhile, but Kenley should have gotten the boot tonight, both on poor design and her sickening attitude.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #288 on: September 24, 2008, 08:39:20 PM »

I was at a bar tonight having a drink with friends while Bush was giving his speech.  People at the bar were actually standing up and booing and catcalling his every word (and there was absolutely no one telling them to keep quiet.)  One guy actually stood up and started calling for revolution!  And everyone cheered!  It was weird and frightening and--I have to admit it--thrilling!  My heart was pounding!  I wonder if that was what it was like in the taverns during pre-revolutionary Paris?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #289 on: September 24, 2008, 08:48:58 PM »

Heading down now to get some sleep.

Good night!

FJL

« Reply #290 on: September 24, 2008, 09:23:56 PM »

I have discovered Cheddar Cheese Chex mix.  

That is more than enough excitement for one day.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #291 on: September 24, 2008, 09:27:44 PM »

I have discovered Cheddar Cheese Chex mix.  

That is more than enough excitement for one day.

Have you discovered the Chocolate varieties?  or the Sweet and Salty ones?
Make Your Own Luck.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #292 on: September 24, 2008, 09:27:49 PM »

It's nice not having a tv sometimes.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

FJL

« Reply #293 on: September 24, 2008, 09:33:07 PM »

Chocolate Chex looked too too hedonistic.

I have had the Sweet and Salty, though, Very nice mix.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #294 on: September 24, 2008, 09:34:32 PM »

Chocolate Chex looked too too hedonistic.

I have had the Sweet and Salty, though, Very nice mix.

I like the Hot Cocoa variety that pops up every now and then.  It's all about the marshmallows.
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #295 on: September 24, 2008, 09:40:53 PM »

And a good source of fiber, I think?

FJL

« Reply #296 on: September 24, 2008, 09:41:28 PM »

Meaning the Chex, not the cocoa

FJL

« Reply #297 on: September 24, 2008, 09:44:23 PM »

Although I believe COCO was a good source of fiber

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #298 on: September 24, 2008, 09:50:40 PM »

I, too, like the sweet and salty mix.  Trying to watch a motion picture on DVD but the phone keeps ringing and I end up yakking.

FJL

« Reply #299 on: September 24, 2008, 09:55:04 PM »

Before the name change of the show, I heard they were going to sell Bounce Chex as a tie-in for the new Sondheim show.

At Title of show, they considered selling Blank Chex.  (Just a joke.)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up