Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: MY OPENING SENTENCE  (Read 57263 times)

Ben

Re:MY OPENING SENTENCE
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2008, 06:21:13 AM »

Let's move on (as Sondheim might have said).

Ben

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2008, 06:21:33 AM »

Welcome to Page 2

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2008, 06:22:42 AM »

Good morning, all! Today I see the matinee performance of A TALE OF TWO CITIES, so I think I will take my walk down to the theatre. Before then, laundry and mopping the bathroom.

I do believe another restoration job is on the way: Rodgers & Hart's 1920s show, SPRING IS HERE, and I look forward to it, since I love Rodgers & Hart. I had the good fortune yesterday to discover that there is a show scrapbook on LIFE BEGINS AT 8:40 at the NYPL, and that will make like easier in working on that project.  As to Toyland and the Slipper Lady, my favorite theatre librarian Jeremy is on leave for personal business until December, and I need his help with a scrapbook question concerning photos from Toyland.  Meanwhile, I 'm dealing with searches on the scenery designers for Toyland. It would be nice to find some of the original set designs.  We've discovered two original costume designs, one at the Museum of the city of New York and one at NYPL.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2008, 06:23:37 AM »

Last night I watched YENTL on TCM.  I haven't seen it in years.  Aside for a few minor laspes, I do think it's a wonderfully directed film with all three leads giving nice performances.  It's so often the butt of so many jokes that I've forgotten how much I really do like it.

I think I'd have liked it better if they'd junked the songs and someone else directed it.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2008, 06:28:36 AM »

DR Ben, BABES IN ARMS and its success owed much to the calibre of talent in the show, which perhaps doesn't exist in young performers today, but it was blessed with a great score and George Balanchine. I've been reminding myself of this ever since the original production of MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG because nobody wants to pay a fortune to see a high school play. And unless 13 is truly brilliant, and MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG was not, it won't last either.

All those kids in BABES IN ARMS had backgrounds in vaudeville and the stage, Mitzi Green had done films, while the cast of MERRILY looked like the graduating class of Horace Mann and were required to use acting chops playing old disillusioned characters they didn't possess. I hope Jason's cast is all playing their own age.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 06:32:26 AM by elmore3003 »

Ginny

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2008, 06:30:54 AM »

Wednesday morning greetings!  Another day of going through files and wondering, "Why did I keep THIS?"
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ben

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2008, 06:39:43 AM »

DR Ben, BABES IN ARMS and its success owed much to the calibre of talent in the show, which perhaps doesn't exist in young performers today, but it was blessed with a great score and George Balanchine. I've been reminding myself of this ever since the original production of MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG because nobody wants to pay a fortune to see a high school play. And unless 13 is truly brilliant, and MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG was not, it won't last either.

All those kids in BABES IN ARMS had backgrounds in vaudeville and the stage, Mitzi Green had done films, while the cast of MERRILY looked like the graduating class of Horace Mann and were required to use acting chops playing old disillusioned characters they didn't possess. I hope Jason's cast is all playing their own age.

Yes, the cast is playing teens and they are absolutely in their teens. Someone playing 13 may be 14 or 15 but they are absolutely gangly (or short like me), oversexed, ambitious teens whose emotions fly from A-Z in the blink of an eye. While there are some real talents on the stage, some of them could use more training or experience or whatever. It's not a solid cast of powerhouse professionals. At times it does have an air of high school or college freshmen about it.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2008, 07:03:53 AM »

And the word of the day is: NUMISMATICS!

And The Song Of The Day Is: THE MONEY SONG

singdaw

« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2008, 07:23:57 AM »

Is bk talking about his opening again?

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2008, 07:30:51 AM »

JR, if you have a firewall and good virus protection program, you should have no problems.  I know I'm probably in the minority, but I find Macs counterintuitive and hard to figure out at times.  I also have an HP that I got right when Vista came out (as chronicled here, DRs), and I have to say it's been one of the most trouble free computers I've ever had (which of course means the hard drive will crash now).  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2008, 07:33:42 AM »

My only problem with YENTL was that Barbra has ALL of the music. She's a marvelous singing actress, but spreading the wealth around might have made it seem something less than a vanity project.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2008, 07:35:11 AM »

When YENTL first came out a lot of people asked me if I was related to Mandy Patinkin.  Hard to believe, but true.  Now people ask me if I'm related to Michael McDonald.  (Also true, easier to believe).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2008, 07:36:28 AM »

Good morning!

A very cool morning and it looks to be a beautiful early fall day. I hope we can have a month of this before it turns noticeably colder.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2008, 07:38:04 AM »

I'll be working on FRIDAY THE 13TH - The Series all day today unless something more notable (SLEEPING BEAUTY on Blu-ray; INDY JONES 4) arrives in the mail.

singdaw

« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2008, 07:38:20 AM »

people ask me if I'm related to Michael McDonald.

At least they're not asking about Ronald.      8)

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2008, 07:40:11 AM »

On TV Tonight:

more season premieres and new episodes:

CBS - two comedies, CRIMINAL MINDS, CSI: NY
NBC - KNIGHT RIDER, AMERICA'S GOT TALENT, LIPSTICK JUNGLE
ABC - DANCING WITH THE STARS
FOX - BONES, two comedies

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2008, 07:40:46 AM »

And I also have last night's episode of THE SHIELD to watch while I cook and eat lunch.

MBarnum

« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2008, 07:43:51 AM »

When YENTL first came out a lot of people asked me if I was related to Mandy Patinkin.  Hard to believe, but true.  Now people ask me if I'm related to Michael McDonald.  (Also true, easier to believe).

Well, are you?

singdaw

« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2008, 07:55:05 AM »

Well, are you?

Is you is, or Is you ain't?      :)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2008, 07:58:38 AM »

My only problem with YENTL was that Barbra has ALL of the music. She's a marvelous singing actress, but spreading the wealth around might have made it seem something less than a vanity project.

You liked her kitsch-y direction? I'm still laughing over the scene where she opens the book and a billion watt lamp shines out of it onto her face. All shtetls should look so professionally designed.

Ben

« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2008, 08:04:08 AM »

Tonight I see A Tale of Two Cities. Mr. Moore will leave soon to amble downtown (for him it's downtown) to see it this afternoon.

singdaw

« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2008, 08:04:15 AM »

Not to mention the hovels in the shtetls!

[not to be confused with Hodel]

« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 08:05:02 AM by singdaw »

Jennifer

« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2008, 08:09:40 AM »

Thanks for posting that review DR Ben!

Jennifer

« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2008, 08:11:13 AM »

On tv tonight:

Dancing With The STars results (although i'll probably record it and ff through a lot).

Criminal minds (i don't normally watch this but i want to see how last year's finale plays out.

Lipstick jungle

Jennifer

« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2008, 08:17:04 AM »

re: last night's DANCING WITH THE STARS

performances and results

fdjasfudsaofuda ufoidaufoidsuafoupdsafo usaofupsaoufodsaupou
fuiopaufdoiauf oiudaofiuofsaufodusaofudaofpduaopfudsopfupoas
I did really enjoy the show. And they made it very riveting for the viewer at home. But i felt horrible for the contestants. Making them wait to find out who was eliminated till the end and not telling them who would dance next was just cruel.
A lot of my early favorites were left till the end (rocco, cody, and even though she wasn't very good susan lucci).
I think the right person totally went home. So that was good for a change.
I thought cloris leachman was very funny (i'm curious DR Cilla if you or your mom thought she was funny last night). I thought the Rock Star INXS lady was very good again (brooke). The football player was good for his size. I was so happy rocco did well ( i really like him and right now he one of the ones i am rooting for).
I'm not sure yet who my fav is. But the dancing was very enjoyable!
I wonder who will go home tonight. I actually thought last night it would be between 1)patch guy 2)kim 3) ted mcginley.  I really have no idea how popular kim's reality show is. And i'm not sure if ted is very popular (but since he has a no name partner, i think that could hurt him).
fuafpoudaf udpa fadsfu aoiufopsauf dasufdsafusofuop fuopufop

Ben

« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2008, 08:27:15 AM »

Regarding the disabled character in 13, Fred, I just thought of something that might cause consternation among disabled performers. The role is played by a non-disabled actor. As I said earlier, I think he's one of the better people in the show. At curtain call and in the min-concert after the curtain call he appears without crutches and dances and runs around.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2008, 08:29:35 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I would have posted a couple of minutes, but was kept getting "too many connections".
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2008, 08:30:30 AM »

A friend of mine is one of the "wranglers" for 13.   That's all I'm sayin'.  For now.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

singdaw

« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2008, 08:32:27 AM »

I would have posted a couple of minutes

Well heavens sakes, man -  if you have some left over, send them to me!   ;)

Ben

« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2008, 08:32:57 AM »

I have a friend who is a wrangler for Billy Elliot. Unless something untoward happens he is looking toward a nice stretch of employment.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up