Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: MY OPENING SENTENCE  (Read 57255 times)

Ben

Re:MY OPENING SENTENCE
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2008, 08:33:51 AM »

Shall We?

Welcome to Page 3

singdaw

« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2008, 08:34:49 AM »

DR Ben - IIRC, a lot of the brouhaha was over the [over]use of the term "cripple" in the show, and how PC [or not] that was.

singdaw

« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2008, 08:35:37 AM »

Shall We?

I think we shall, indeed.       :D

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2008, 08:35:37 AM »

I agree with DR SINGDAW.....I would play the track after the class but before the Q/A.

Wednesday, and now I am a waffle.  If I buy an Apple computer, I will have to get a new printer and scanner and LightScribe external drive.....now I am on the fence again.  Maybe I should have my computer repaired one more time and DON'T click on what I realized I now that I clicked on yesterday to start the problem.  

I am a waffle.....but I am in SAFE MODE.

DR JRand - Hmm... Oh... Well...  Do you still have your original OS discs?  If so, is buying a new hard drive an option?  Although, if the virus is embedded within "Outlook Express" (which, frankly, sounds a little not-right to me - I'd call Microsoft to see if that's really possible, and how to fix it if it is), I guess it's more a matter of seeing if the virus is (still) in your backed-up software and files.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2008, 08:35:49 AM »

You liked her kitsch-y direction? I'm still laughing over the scene where she opens the book and a billion watt lamp shines out of it onto her face. All shtetls should look so professionally designed.

To be honest, I've seen the film once when I reviewed it way back when it first came out. I had the flu at the time and was not feeling well at all but was under a deadline. I remember mostly how long I found it to be (but that could have been due to my being sick) and the stolen boat scene right out of FUNNY GIRL.

So, I'm certainly NO expert on YENTL. I've never owned it on any video format though I did buy the soundtrack album on LP.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2008, 08:38:02 AM »

I have a friend who is a wrangler for Billy Elliot. Unless something untoward happens he is looking toward a nice stretch of employment.

Well, my friend ( ;) ) was originally hired just for the preview period, but it looks like they'll have to be keeping him on for the duration of the run. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

singdaw

« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2008, 08:38:05 AM »

YENTL. I've never owned it on any video format

Well, the wait for a Region 1 DVD has been interminable.

Matt H.

« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2008, 08:38:06 AM »

I did get a UPS delivery this morning: a two disc compilation of Cartman episodes from SOUTH PARK. I'm sure I'll enjoy them, but the set doesn't come out until October 6, so I'm at least a week away from watching it.

Ben

« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2008, 08:38:20 AM »

Oh, now I understand. Yes, there are a couple of lines using that word. Obviously, it didn't bother me because I didn't remember it until you mentioned it. There are all sorts of little "offensive" things in the show, FagMo being one of them. I don't believe the use of the word will affect someone's enjoyment or non-enjoyment of the show.

Matt H.

« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2008, 08:39:03 AM »

I'm heading down now to check the USPS mail and then start on lunch.

WBBL.

Ben

« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2008, 08:39:43 AM »

Well, my friend ( ;) ) was originally hired just for the preview period, but it looks like they'll have to be keeping him on for the duration of the run. ;)

You mean your friend for 13 or do you also have a friend wrangling on BE?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2008, 08:41:19 AM »

I have a friend who is a wrangler for Billy Elliot. Unless something untoward happens he is looking toward a nice stretch of employment.

I know about cattle wranglers and wranglers of other beasties, but what would a "wrangler" be doing in "Billy Elliot"?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2008, 08:42:18 AM »

You mean your friend for 13 or do you also have a friend wrangling on BE?

Spoo! (?) I meant 13.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2008, 08:42:58 AM »

Oh-h-h [wink, wink] I see.  A euphemism "friend."  I guess he wrangles in his personal life, too!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2008, 08:45:47 AM »

Cheeseburger Spring Rolls?!?!?!?!  Who knew?

You Call This a Deli?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #75 on: September 24, 2008, 08:48:46 AM »

Oh-h-h [wink, wink] I see.  A euphemism "friend."  I guess he wrangles in his personal life, too!

Hmm... He's a real friend, not a euphemism friend.  I don't think he's ever "wrangled" in his personal life, but he may have worn a pair of Wrangler jeans at one point and time.  However, he is currently one of the "kiddie wranglers" - a.k.a. "babysitters" - for 13.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #76 on: September 24, 2008, 08:49:13 AM »

Perhaps the offended might be offended by the overt manipulation he uses to get what he wants. He manipulates by playing off his disability and that, probably, does have the potential to offend someone.

Let's hope it doesn't.  People of "all" persuasions use whatever they can to manipulate others.  Manipulation can be something as minor as affecting hurt feelings or as major as using secret knowledge to coerce others into doing what one wants (i.e., blackmail).

People with extraordinary looks manipulate others at every turn every day of their lives.  They get folks to say yes to things they'd refuse to do for average schmoes.

Anything that gets someone else's attention is duly noted and employed by people every day every where.  It crosses all boundaries and age groups.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #77 on: September 24, 2008, 08:51:11 AM »

Hmm... He's a real friend, not a euphemism friend.  I don't think he's ever "wrangled" in his personal life, but he may have worn a pair of Wrangler jeans at one point and time.  However, he is currently one of the "kiddie wranglers" - a.k.a. "babysitters" - for 13.

I get it.  By saying "my friend ( ;))", you didn't really mean to lead us down the merry path?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: September 24, 2008, 08:55:52 AM »

QUESTION for BK:  What do you think was the most shocking, surprising, head-scratching cancellation of a network TV series?

Two spring to mind, just because I really liked them - a late 1950s show called Panic, which was sort of Twilight Zoneish and Hitchcockish.  I have managed to see some of the episodes that I'd remembered vividly - they're not that well made, but I like the stories.  The other was a series called Way Out, which was hosted by Roald Dahl and which aired Friday nights on CBS just before The Twilight Zone.  Both shows had, I think, one-season runs - Way Out maybe less.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: September 24, 2008, 09:01:34 AM »

JR, if you have a firewall and good virus protection program, you should have no problems.  I know I'm probably in the minority, but I find Macs counterintuitive and hard to figure out at times.  I also have an HP that I got right when Vista came out (as chronicled here, DRs), and I have to say it's been one of the most trouble free computers I've ever had (which of course means the hard drive will crash now).  ;)

I had a firewall and good virus protection on my Dell - didn't stop a virus from infecting it and ultimately causing the loss of the hard drive.  It was the straw that broke the Kimmel's back, and I believe all the reasons for my switch to Mac are chronicled on this board.  As to Macs being counterintuitive and hard to figure out, I found the exact opposite to be true.  I could never figure out my PC - everything took two keystrokes or five keystrokes.  When I got the Mac it was, in fact, so easy to figure out, that a brief tutorial with the fellow who set it up was all I ever needed.  It's very friendly to people who aren't computer wise and when I've forgotten things or can't figure something out the answer is usually twenty seconds away.

I also find the extended warranty customer service to be the best anywhere.  

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #80 on: September 24, 2008, 09:02:28 AM »

I did get a UPS delivery this morning: a two disc compilation of Cartman episodes from SOUTH PARK. I'm sure I'll enjoy them, but the set doesn't come out until October 6, so I'm at least a week away from watching it.

October 6.....I know that's someone's birthday.    ;D
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #81 on: September 24, 2008, 09:08:10 AM »

I am listening to, for no particular reason, the OCR of HAIR.  Just a fun bouncy quasi-rock score that joyfully performed by it's cast.  I wonder if the revival is at least half as enjoyable or is it another A CHORUS LINE?

13 does little to intice me, but then, neither does a lot of B'way these days.  This past year all I've seen was YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN  (a corporate freebie seat, but I did have fun), SOUTH PACIFIC (which I paid an arm and a leg for but glad that I did--I swooned several times) and AUGUST OSAGE AVENUE (a funny LONG DAYS JOURNEY INTO NIGHT which I perversely enjoyed.)  

I do plan on getting up to see GYPSY, maybe EQUUS, maybe GOLD/BOUNCE/RAMBLIN' or whatever the hell they are calling it these days.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #82 on: September 24, 2008, 09:09:25 AM »

I think we shall, indeed.       :D

The proper response was:  "Let's!"

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: September 24, 2008, 09:10:48 AM »

As to "13" I've heard it's awful.  I heard it was awful here in LA, awful in its other tryout, and now awful in NY.  It's blatantly designed to try to capture the demographic all B'way producers are trying to capture - the tweens and teens.  B'way has, in fact, become all about that demographic and if they don't stop trying to emulate the motion picture industry, it really will be the end of B'way as those of us knew and loved it.  Someone told me I had to go read the threads about this show on B'wayworld, which is, of course, populated by twelve to seventeen year olds - those are the ages of 90% of the people who post there and say things like "In all my years of theatergoing."  I went and read for about two minutes and had to stop.  Some of the children have already become "emotionally invested" in the show and have seen it several times (that's their term for "adopting" a show).  A few of the older teens hated the show, but they are yelled at by the younger teens.  It's all quite ridiculous.  Will it succeed?  Who knows anymore.  The producers obviously have money and ego (they recorded the cast album before they started previews), so it probably won't close immediately if the reviews stink.  If they get middling reviews, they'll probably do what all producers do - keep it open for a year and close at a complete loss of its entire investment, just like Xanadu, which is now closing two weeks early because the producers don't want to lose even MORE money.  NOW they become fiscally responsible.  Amazing.  

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #84 on: September 24, 2008, 09:26:34 AM »

AUGUST OSAGE AVENUE--I think we have a new "combo" title a la Brigadoonesbury (once every 100 years Elizabeth Swados writes a hit show, and this is it!).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Kerry

« Reply #85 on: September 24, 2008, 09:27:46 AM »

"Wrangling Billy Elliot"-- the title of my next book!
I like boat races.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #86 on: September 24, 2008, 09:36:31 AM »

AUGUST OSAGE AVENUE--I think we have a new "combo" title a la Brigadoonesbury (once every 100 years Elizabeth Swados writes a hit show, and this is it!).

What's with these titles?

This one, and Woody's "Vicky Cristina Barcelona"?

Must I now be referred to as "Ronald Lee Pulliam"?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #87 on: September 24, 2008, 09:38:13 AM »

A cooler day expected today in Oakland...by about 10 degrees (F).

October is when we usually have the "dog days", but this year may be different.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #88 on: September 24, 2008, 09:42:42 AM »

I learned something interesting this morning.

Any time one of San Francisco's cable cars is involved in an accident, the car is retired to the garage for a complete going over.

This morning, a senior citizen ran across a street directly in the path of an oncoming cable car.  "She" ran into the car, which was unable to brake to a stop to prevent her from running into it.  The woman was not seriously harmed, but the car had to be retired to the garage for the day, and it had ramifications of impacting the morning commute for many riders who needed to find alternate means of transportation.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #89 on: September 24, 2008, 09:45:29 AM »

What's with these titles?

This one, and Woody's "Vicky Cristina Barcelona"?

Must I now be referred to as "Ronald Lee Pulliam"?

"John Wilkes Booth"

"Lee Harvey Oswald"
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up