Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: TIME IS LIKE AN IGLOO  (Read 70795 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:TIME IS LIKE AN IGLOO
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2008, 07:25:52 AM »

Terminator 2: Judgement Day far outshines the original, when it comes to almost every aspect of the filmmaking.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2008, 07:26:11 AM »

Steven Spielberg, why did you really make The Lost World?  Did you really need the money that bad?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2008, 07:27:15 AM »

Death on the Nile is a great follow-up to Murder on the Orient Express, without exactly copying the first film.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2008, 07:27:50 AM »

And Dr. Phibes Rises Again was abominable.

Actually, I would list DPRA as a guilty pleasure mostly due to its wonderful set design.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2008, 07:27:54 AM »

I agree about Al Pacino's work in the first two GODFATHER movies. What a characterization covering this lengthy period of a person's life and showing a man rotting from the inside and left with nothing but power at the end of II. That's why GODFATHER III is problematic for me in terms of Michael. The Michael we see there is SO different from the  Michael we see at the end of II. True, people can change and mellow as they get older, but it seems unlikely that Michael Corleone would change so radically based on seeing his character through the first two films.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2008, 07:28:48 AM »

TOD:  Guilty Pleasure Sequels:

FUNNY LADY
AIRPORT '75
OMEN II
EXORCIST II
RETURN OF THE PINK PANTHER
moThe CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN follow-up with Myrna Loy--I can't think of the title at the '

BELLES ON THEIR TOES

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2008, 07:28:53 AM »

Terminator 2: Judgement Day far outshines the original, when it comes to almost every aspect of the filmmaking.

Funny. I much prefer the low budget, scrappy original film. The second one for me was far too long; it bored me with its excesses.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2008, 07:29:54 AM »

A Shot In the Dark is an interesting case - it was based on a play that had nothing to do with The Pink Panther, but then had Peter Sellars added, with his character replacing what was in the play.  I'm not sure what I think of the result.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2008, 07:29:56 AM »

Another very disappointing sequel: THE TWO JAKES. Not in any way a match to the genius of CHINATOWN.

Ghastly beyond measure sequel: THE STING II.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2008, 07:31:14 AM »

Funny. I much prefer the low budget, scrappy original film. The second one for me was far too long; it bored me with its excesses.
And that is what makes horseracing fun!

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2008, 07:31:30 AM »

I'll be working on THE SIXTH SENSE today. I also have a PBS cartoon series (which I'd never heard of) which comes out today but I won't get to until tomorrow.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2008, 07:32:09 AM »

BELLES ON THEIR TOES

Yes!  Thank yee, DR AMB!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2008, 07:32:24 AM »

And that is what makes horseracing fun!

You bet! (pun intended)

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2008, 07:33:30 AM »

On TV Tonight:

CBS - NCIS, THE MENTALIST, WITHOUT A TRACE
NBC - THE BIGGEST LOSER, SVU
ABC - DANCING WITH THE STARS results, a couple of filler shows
FOX - HOUSE, FRINGE
FX    - THE SHIELD
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 07:33:58 AM by Matt H. »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2008, 07:38:52 AM »

None of the Tuesday shows are on my "must see" list.

I'll probably try to knock one or two more films off my "I can't believe I haven't watched this" list, instead.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2008, 07:40:36 AM »

The problem in our house is that der B insists on watching and recording so much.  If I miss something that I want to watch, which he will record, we never get a chance to watch the missed show because of his watching/recording schedule creating a conflict.

It sucks.   :P

FJL

« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2008, 07:44:45 AM »

RETURN FROM WITCH MOUNTAIN - working on the taxes of a particularly unpleasant client

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2008, 07:45:51 AM »

I always had to admire the fact that certain sequels were not made, such as KRAMER VS KRAMER and THE GOODBYE GIRL.  For about a year after these movies were released, the columns were filled with tid-bits that Benton and Simon were at work on follow-up scripts and that all parties involved were interested in returning.  But I guess as time stretched on the studios loss interest, which is probably what the creators were hoping for.

Of course, Simon would later do a needless re-make of GOODBYE GIRL.  Go figure...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 07:47:49 AM by Dan (the Man) »
-- Anaïs Nin

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2008, 07:54:54 AM »

I'll be working on THE SIXTH SENSE today. I also have a PBS cartoon series (which I'd never heard of) which comes out today but I won't get to until tomorrow.

Click & Clack?  I reviewed that a couple of weeks ago.  You mean you don't listen to Car Talk?  Funniest show on NPR!
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2008, 08:07:39 AM »

One sequel I am not looking forward to is Cars 2.  The original is my least favorite Pixar film, and when Lassiter was quoted saying "This time we're going international," I couldn't help thinking "Oh, goody, we're gonna have more stereotyping than Song of the South."   :P

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2008, 08:18:12 AM »

The best film sequels I've seen:

Aliens -- far surpasses the excellent original in character development, excitement and sheer terror.

The Empire Strikes Back -- possesses all the depth the original lacked (and truly didn't need), with a wonderful chiaroscuro applied throughout the film in both location, character and theme.  

The Godfather II -- I'm not a huge fan of the original.  I recognize the movie as fine work, but what "The Godfather II" offered that really appealed to me was the flashback sequence with the brilliant (then-brilliant, at any rate) Robert de Niro as young Vito Corleone.  The reconstruction (or suggestion of) Little Italy was superb.  The technical work on both the original and sequel was masterful.  Contrasting Vito's beginnings with Michael's taking over/running la famiglia was chilling.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2008, 08:22:10 AM »

The problem in our house is that der B insists on watching and recording so much.  If I miss something that I want to watch, which he will record, we never get a chance to watch the missed show because of his watching/recording schedule creating a conflict.

It sucks.   :P

I sort of do this kind of thing to myself.  I juggle a lot of shows in my "watch later" routine.  I generally have to get rid of the shows recorded in high def first since they take up so much of the DVR's memory.  Movies off TCM take up practically no space...even 10-15 of 'em.  Trouble is, I end up deleting some delectable titles because my interest, which had been piqued when I set them to record, had literally peaked several weeks, or months, later.

I do hang on to titles I've never seen but have wondered about...and I'll eventually watch them.  In general, I watch them all the way through, but an occasional film will alienate me in the early going -- "Little Men", for instance, which had no appealing characters in the first 10-15 minutes.  

« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 08:25:42 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jennifer

« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2008, 08:30:56 AM »

I only got to watch the first half of LIFE. But it was good.

I watched CHUCK (the beginning was a bit boring). And i watched DANCING WITH THE STARS. I wonder who will go tonight.

Matt H.

« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2008, 08:32:30 AM »

Click & Clack?  I reviewed that a couple of weeks ago.  You mean you don't listen to Car Talk?  Funniest show on NPR!

Yep. I've had it for weeks, but other TV box sets for September took precedence. I don't listen to the radio EVER.

Jennifer

« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2008, 08:34:24 AM »

Here is my best guess re: the DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES question DR RonP asked yesterday:

fudaoifuoidafuoipdauf oiudaofpudaffkl;fjaajfd ajfdsapuf osu opu
This is just my opinion, but i think the show did pick up from where we left off last season (the 5 years).  The thing is last season they just sort of gave an indication of where everyone ended up. It wasn't exact.  It's my opinion that they didn't really necessarily plan out the full extent of the susan/new guy story. And nobody knew of Mike was coming back. So they showed us the new guy. And then perhaps planned out exactly how they wanted the story to progress.  The thing is since susan has now told mike about new guy. Next week i'm sure her friends will know. So it's basically the same time line/give or take a week.
afuopdafuodapuf opuafopudaofpduasofpduasofudopuaouou o

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2008, 08:36:18 AM »

'HEROES' -- Spoiler Materials

Dkjf  kalkj kjk l;k afjakj al;k kj gl;j ;lakjg ;lag klj alkj ;lag;l akjg;l jj agjkl sagkjlagjklagjagkljklj a At one point last night, I was beginning to think the writers had once again blown it.  Last season they bogged the show down in the Hiro-in-the-past arc.  That was inspired, as an idea, and tedious in execution.  Ditto those new characters from South America.  I could not even pretend to my self that either of them was interesting.  The show did pick up toward the end of the shortened season, so I had every reason to expect a resurgence in the writing.

It was very distressing to see the mother of Nathan and Peter, grandmother of Claire, become this uber-bitch thing "in charge" and mothering Sylar.  Sylar is a fascinating character, but that woman has lost all touch with anything remotely "mother"-like....or human, seemingly.  Having her serve up someone to Sylar as a human sacrifice remains, to me, a very bad idea.    I agree there was no humor in the Hiro/Ando exploits.  They were forced and clumsily done.  I suppose I could be more intrigued by the Parkman arc, but could they be more obtuse?   Even the Claire segments are puzzlingly lame.  I have to wonder what gives...or what they are, hopefully, going to dazzle us with once they get past all this set-up.  What salvaged the night was the most excellent sequence with HRG (aka Noah) and Sylar responding to the hostage situation with the escapees from Level 5.  HRG and Sylar NEVER FAIL to entertain and intrigue and chill me.  I blame the actors!!

The previews held out TONS of promise for an excellent episode next week, especially with a domesticated Sylar.  That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.  Djfkljjkl f f a;lkjf ;ljsaasflkj slapclaw /.ma f,m flapjaw. kjf jfjkjk pawpaw.,  fa kjll;kajf gapemaw..m fsad jkdfk .

End spoilage

Matt H.

« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2008, 08:36:31 AM »

Heading down now to get lunch started and to check the mail.

WBBL.

Matt H.

« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2008, 08:38:33 AM »

What the Hell!

Why is there nothing in my Amazon Gold Box this morning. I don't mean nothing of interest. I mean NOTHING AT ALL!

Matt H.

« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2008, 08:38:55 AM »

And now I'm REALLY going!

;D

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2008, 08:47:14 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And, I have to say, it's been quite interesting and entertaining watching "The View" this morning.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up