Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: LET ME JUST SAY THIS  (Read 69806 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: LET ME JUST SAY THIS
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2008, 12:45:01 AM »

singdaw, maybe it's just when you use the quote button and there are multiple quotes in what you're quoting.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2008, 12:45:17 AM »

And on that note (B-flat), I'm finally going to bed.  Again, I don't know when I'll log back in.  It might be tonight or not until Monday. 

Either way, HAVE A GOOD WEEKEND, ALL!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2008, 12:48:24 AM »

While some will agree and some will disagree, after the little meltdown of last week, I'd prefer this sort of discussion happen privately for a while. 

Post deleted.

der brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2008, 12:59:15 AM »

TOD

Lump Crab Crabcake

der Brucer

Least favorite cake:

DERBRUCER

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2008, 01:16:22 AM »

BEST FRIENDS

Beverly Hills Chihuahua, a new Disney movie opens today, October 3rd

We all know what happens when a new “dog movie” comes out—lots of people decide they must have a dog just like the one in the movie. But what people might not realize is that shelters and groups across the country have plenty of Chihuahuas, for ADOPTION. In fact, Chihuahuas are the 5th most-posted breed of dog for adoption on Petfinder (after Labs, Shepherds, Pit bulls and mixes of those breeds).

[attachment deleted by admin]

DERBRUCER

« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2008, 01:37:44 AM »

Going veggie shrinks the brain

According to a new study, vegetarians and vegans are six times more likely to suffer from brain shrinkage than meat eaters.

The link was discovered after scientists at Oxford University ran memory tests, physical checks and brain scans on 107 people between the ages of 61and 87, and then retested them five years later.

Researchers speculate the loss of brain mass in vegetarians and vegans is due to a deficiency of Vitamin B12, which is found in meat, fish and eggs. This type of brain atrophy is linked to Alzheimer's Disease and other cognitive failings.

The decision to eat meat is often attacked by veggies, but it now seems as though these kinds of affronts may just be a product of small-mindedness.

BRING ON THE COW!

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2008, 03:10:18 AM »

LA TIMES

The Hollywood Palladium gets a second wind

The regal concert hall has booked performers from Sinatra to Jay-Z. Audiences will soon see if a thorough makeover kept it up to date.
By Geoff Boucher, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
October 5, 2008

SIXTY-EIGHT years ago this month, the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra and its new singer, a skinny 24-year-old New Jersey crooner named Frank Sinatra, welcomed a cheering crowd to opening night at the Hollywood Palladium. Dorothy Lamour was there to snip the ribbon, spangled with orchids, and as Jack Benny, Judy Garland and Lana Turner looked on, hundreds of couples danced the jitterbug on a 11,200-square-foot dance floor made of maple wood.

With its coral and chromium interior, Streamlined Moderne swoops and shimmering chandeliers, the Palladium that night must have seemed like a dreamy refuge in a world that was growing darker by the day. German bombs were falling every night in London, but beneath the searchlights of Sunset Boulevard, all the young lovers were swaying in a Hollywood champagne fantasy.

Still, when Sinatra sang the band's No. 1 hit, "I'll Never Smile Again," how many of those 3,000 couples held each other and fretted about the future?

IT ALL begins Oct. 15 with a sold-out show featuring a 12-piece band fronted by rapper Jay-Z, who, with his East Coast roots and Chairman of the Board persona, channels a sort of hip-hop version of Sinatra's career aura.

"I wouldn't be surprised one bit," Mueller said, "if he does a Sinatra song." The promoter said that Tuesday while wearing a hard hat and shouting over the sounds of hammers and sanders. He was standing on the rim of the Palladium's dance floor, which he doubts will be refinished until after opening night. Above Mueller's head was a chandelier wrapped in plastic. "The rest of them are out back, we have a company restoring them, recasting the missing crystals. Everything has to be just right."

Cove lighting has been installed to highlight the Moderne details and the original marquee-and-pylon sign tower has been restored at the entrance and its large neon letters revived. (How careful is the revival? Architect Christopher Coe used old newsreel footage to match the lighting sequence to the original pattern.)

Maybe someone will write "Murder At the Palladium".

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2008, 03:23:54 AM »

NY TIMES

NICK REYNOLDS, KINGSTON TRIO HARMONIZER, DIES AT 75

By WILLIAM GRIMES

Nick Reynolds, a founding member of the Kingston Trio whose smooth tenor and gift for harmonizing helped propel the group to worldwide fame in the folk-music revival of the late 1950s and early ’60s, died Wednesday in San Diego. He was 75 and lived in Coronado, Calif.

The cause was acute respiratory disease syndrome, said his son Joshua Stewart Reynolds.

Whether singing high harmony or taking the lead part in songs like “M.T.A.,” “The Wanderer” and “Hobo’s Lullaby,” Mr. Reynolds, who played tenor guitar, helped define the clean, close-harmony style that brought folk music into countless American homes for the first time.

“Nobody could nail a harmony part like Nick,” said Bob Shane, another founding member of the group. “He could hit it immediately, exactly where it needed to be, absolutely note perfect, all on the natch.”

Although regarded as overly commercial by purists, the trio inspired the folk-music revival and paved the way for the breezy and ingratiating Limeliters and Chad Mitchell Trio and later for more political artists like Bob Dylan, Joan Baez and Peter, Paul and Mary. “We got America up and singing,” Mr. Reynolds said.

Wary of the political songs that had caused trouble for the Weavers during the era of Senator Joseph McCarthy, the Kingston Trio, formed in 1957, steered clear of protest music and stuck to a mixture of traditional songs like “Tom Dooley” and “A Worried Man” and humorous ballads like “M.T.A.” and “Tijuana Jail,” with storytelling between songs during their live performances. Mr. Reynolds, called the Budgie or the Runt of the Litter by his fellow founding members, Dave Guard and Mr. Shane, often added a zinger for comic effect.

The formula was astonishingly successful. Thirteen of the group’s albums reached the Top 10, and in 1959 alone four of its albums placed in the Top 10, a record matched only by the Beatles.

der Brucer

Ben

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2008, 03:25:17 AM »

So, Sing was on at 2am (ish) but he didn't say if he would be at breakfast today.

We will see in 3 hours.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2008, 04:53:00 AM »

Good morning, all! I was moving about the apartment by 7 am, but I really wanted to go back to bed for another hour.  After meeting DRs Ben, edisaurus, Jose (?), and maybe others, I will head to Toyland for several hours of work.  I've got a deadline of Monday on a project, so I may try to hand off my tickets for I COME FOR LOVE at NYMF to one or more of the DRs this morning.

DR vixmom, yes, Laura played the lead in THE TRAGIC & HORRIBLE LIFE OF THE SNGING NUN. She one of the funniest and sweetest ladies I know. She was so happy to Chrs and me after. She's ding a reading of a new play tomorrow with F. Murray Abraham.

As to O.J. Simpson, it couldn't happen to a more deserving person. I wonder if the evidence was conclusive enough or the Nicole Simpson-Ron Goldman karma didn't finally catch up with the bastard.

As to the TOD: chocolate cake, angel food cake

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2008, 04:56:37 AM »

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Excellent Vibes & Xylophones for BK's Reading  Today !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2008, 04:58:20 AM »

Curiously, I could not see this last post under "preview" before I posted it.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2008, 05:07:19 AM »

Reading vibes to MR BK....and vibes for a large (in number) audience. 

Wow....DR EDISAURUS is in New York City and DR GEORGE is in Coquille.....HHW'ers sure get around.

As for THE LEATHER BOYS.....I would say they were more OVERtones!

DR TCB....many of the original reviews mentioned Carole Lombard's death, so it may have been on the original release posters.  It was released on March 6, 1942, and Carole died on January 16, 1942.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ben

« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2008, 05:08:02 AM »

Even though it wasn't exactly 5 years, it seems that 5 years ago, in October of 2003 we switched to the new (now old) board. The first posts were around mid or late October of 2003

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2008, 05:08:21 AM »

Today is a work day....oh well.

And I tried to print a Light Scribe label and got the message that there was a problem please restart my computer....and I did....and got the same message.  But no information about what the problem is.....oh well....I shall investigate next week.

Ben

« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2008, 05:09:06 AM »

And now I shall take a shower and get ready to meet our guest and friends for breakfast.

Ginny

« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2008, 05:35:22 AM »

Saturday morning greetings!  Today's an information-waitressing day for me and, all-in-all, I'd rather be meeting DRs for breakfast.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2008, 05:39:23 AM »

Just a few more to go DR GINNY!!!!

I am off to work as well. 

Ginny

« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2008, 05:45:34 AM »

Just a few more to go DR GINNY!!!!

Yup, after today, assuming my vacation requests are approved, only 8 more days of IW-ing.

I am off to work as well. 

Have a good day!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2008, 05:53:44 AM »

I was trapped into immobility once.   Or was it tricked?

Well, in any case...

;)

No comment.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2008, 05:56:57 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I'm about to hop on the train down to 14th Street...

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2008, 06:00:23 AM »

And I shall try to post from the Good Stuff Diner once the HHW throng is gathered.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2008, 06:01:45 AM »

I was trapped into immobility once.   Or was it tricked?

Well, in any case...

;)

Kinky!  Were any photos taken?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2008, 06:07:13 AM »

TOD:

BEEFCAKE!!!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2008, 06:11:17 AM »

And the word of the day is: GORMANDIZER!
One night, Armando the GORMANDIZER, just for a lark, GRAZED MINOR tapas bars from one end of Barcelona to the other, and then stopped for breakfast at every joint that was open on his way back home.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2008, 06:32:00 AM »

DR vixmom, yes, Laura played the lead in THE TRAGIC & HORRIBLE LIFE OF THE SNGING NUN. She one of the funniest and sweetest ladies I know. She was so happy to Chrs and me after. She's ding a reading of a new play tomorrow with F. Murray Abraham.

She was absolutely wonderful in  THE TRAGIC & HORRIBLE LIFE OF THE SNGING NUN. , I wish I had an opportunity to see her again in this new show. 

I had also hoped to take  you advice and take the Vixter to see South Pacific but the sudden rash of appliance breakdowns  combined with some $$$ being sent to the school for various Vixter field trips has depleted my wallet

On the bright side one of the field trips is to see Legally Blonde so she is going to get to see it although I won't be there to enjoy watching her enjoy it

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2008, 06:36:31 AM »

And I shall try to post from the Good Stuff Diner once the HHW throng is gathered.

Laters...

Wish we could be there to join you! The Vixter and I send our best! 

The Vixter says you should offer a toast to absent friends.... ;D

cause it's breakfast and there 's probably going to be toast..... get it? ::)

vixmom

« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2008, 06:37:11 AM »

Well I had better go and feed breakfest to the peopel in this house!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2008, 06:47:15 AM »

Although it wasn't originally on the schedule, I've a few hours to put in at the store.

Workies!

Hasta.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2008, 06:57:58 AM »

Favorite cake(s)?

Carrott & German Chocolate.

I try to avoid them as much as possible.
You can dream…or you can do.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up