Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Down

Author Topic: LET ME JUST SAY THIS  (Read 69766 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re: LET ME JUST SAY THIS
« Reply #300 on: October 04, 2008, 09:48:41 PM »

Well, I just learned this formerly secret fact from tonight's episode of "SNL"...

SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS is a disease of the liver.

;D

*And Anne Hathaway as Julie Andrews/Mary Poppins... :)
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #301 on: October 04, 2008, 10:05:42 PM »

My Parents are visiting tomorrow afternoon, so i must clean a little, sleep a little, then clean a little more

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #302 on: October 04, 2008, 10:06:46 PM »

Back from the fundraiser - this kind of thing is not my cup of tea - basically like an open mic night but with some pros sprinkled in.  We had Andrea Marcovicci and Jason Graae as the best of them.  I bailed after two and a half hours.  This was my weekly splurge meal - had linguini with seafood in a light tomato cream sauce.  I'm stuffed, but hopefully it won't do any damage.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #303 on: October 04, 2008, 10:17:04 PM »

I came home to an e-mail from the singer I'm working with.  Earlier, she sent me the typed up version of the patter I'd given her yesterday.  Two of the set-ups were missing completely, and several key lines were also missing.  So, I wrote her back and asked her to find those things, because I watched as she wrote them down.  As I said yesterday, at our meeting she presented me with patter based on what I'd come up with at our previous meeting, only three-quarters of it wasn't there, even though I told her to write everything down because I forget things immediately.  So, I had to start from scratch yesterday.  I told her in my e-mail today that I didn't have time or patience to keep having to come up with things that I'd already come up with.  So she sends me this e-mail saying she thinks I'm treating her with disrespect and while she's appreciative of my help she thinks it's best if she does the rest by herself.  To which I replied, fine.  If she thinks that she can do the rest herself  I say, best of luck.  We hadn't even gotten to the singing and interpretation part, which is, of course, the hard part.  Any solo artist who has ever worked with me knows how supportive I am, but they also know they have to do the simple thing I ask, which is to write everything down so I don't have to keep coming up with the same thing.  Well, this frees up some time.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 08:31:15 AM by bk »

FJL

« Reply #304 on: October 04, 2008, 10:29:59 PM »

On  a happier note, I'm approaching post #12500.

FJL

« Reply #305 on: October 04, 2008, 10:32:34 PM »

Oy, I meant to wish JMK a happy birthday at exactly 9:31 PST, but I screwed up time-wise.

FJL

« Reply #306 on: October 04, 2008, 10:33:50 PM »

Should I save 12500 for morning?

FJL

« Reply #307 on: October 04, 2008, 10:38:14 PM »

Oy, again, I'm confused, is JMK's birthday Sunday or Monday?  (I can't read the calendar properly.  Guess that's a sign that it's time to sleep.)

Amy

« Reply #308 on: October 04, 2008, 10:38:32 PM »

Present were Hisaka, Miss Adriana Patti and her mother, Cason Murphy, a nice fellow from the film score board, occasional dear readers Mark and Amy, a 3D enthusiast, film composer John Scott, and a couple of others I didn't know.
Great reading, Bruce! The book sounds really wonderful. I was surprised at how much it delves into today's technologies. I admit I'd never heard of Facebook until yesterday. I'm so sorry we were late! Mark is writing all the gory details as we speak, but I'm not sure which one of us is going to click the "Post" button first.

And the cake was yummylicous! Bruce appeared aghast to learn that Mark is allergic to cake. To answer your question, Bruce, if he ate one bite it would just make his throat feel itchy. If he ate more his bottom lip would swell up to look like he'd had bad collagen injections. But it's not like he'd break out in hives and keel over dead. But since he's allergic to eggs, nuts, and chocolate, I figure I could finish him off with a brownie with walnuts, if I ever needed to.

Amy

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #309 on: October 04, 2008, 10:44:23 PM »

Glad you guys came.

Amy

« Reply #310 on: October 04, 2008, 10:46:54 PM »

Hmmmm, I added a picture to my profile, but it came out really really small. So, I've enlarged it and update my profile. Let's see how this one looks.

Amy

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #311 on: October 04, 2008, 10:51:26 PM »

There are a bunch of posts about how to re-size the photo.

Mark

• What is it, Wellington?
« Reply #312 on: October 04, 2008, 11:02:07 PM »

Back from the signing reading - we had about ten people, which is better than five people.  I did do the reading and it was fun, and the cake was very popular.  I met a couple of new people, which I always enjoy.  Sold only a few books, but the owners of the store said business has been just horrible, which is why none of their regulars were at the signing.  So, it was all fine, but I'm really miffed at the people who'd confirmed they'd be there and then had every excuse under the sun as to why they weren't - and then there were those who didn't even have the excuse, who just didn't show up.  Present were Hisaka, Miss Adriana Patti and her mother, Cason Murphy, a nice fellow from the film score board, occasional dear readers Mark and Amy, a 3D enthusiast, film composer John Scott, and a couple of others I didn't know.

I'd like to just say this, but apparently "this" has already been said. So I won't say "this," but instead I shall say: Thank you BK for not canceling the reading, and also thank you for not canceling the reading at the reading. Amy and I had a lovelier than lovely time listening to sections from "Murder at the Grove." We have all of Bruce's books, but this was our first time attending a BK reading. It shall not be our last.

Alas, we were a bit late; we initially parked our car on South Brand Boulevard, thinking it was North Brand Boulevard, and there simply is no Mystery and Imagination bookstore on South Brand Boulevard. We then moved said car, continued on, found North Brand Boulevard, and lo and behold still saw no Mystery and Imagination bookstore. We saw Bookfellows, which we have been to before, and it took us several moments to realize that Bookfellows and Mystery and Imagination are one and the same. We parked and promptly realized we had no change for the meter. The Bookfellows folks, however, were quite kind to give us change, we ran back to put it in, and then realized that the meter was broken. We then dashed back to the bookstore, gave them back the quarter we had left, rushed up the stairs to the second floor, and plopped down into two chairs to enjoy "Murder at the Grove," in color and already in progress.

Despite our tardiness, we quickly experienced a rare treat: hearing Bruce utter the word "yummilicious" in person. During the course of the reading, we also got to hear two of my favorite lines from the book: "Adrianna Hofstetter did not eat tan food" (which elicited several chuckles) and "Furball … padded over to the dining table and stretched her body into Cinemascope." A few minutes later, when Bruce read the line about Facebook being "a site that only an ADD person could love," it was cute to watch Adrianna Patti's mom give her daughter a knowing "That is so you" poke.

After the reading, chocolate cake was served, Diet Coke was poured and BK tried to kill me by offering said cake to me. I am allergic to said cake, and despite this being Bruce's reading, I declined to let him murder me. We then set back as Bruce held court, telling tales from the past, about the past and about passed gas. We laughed, and just when we thought we could laugh no more, we laughed some more. By 3:30, it was over, we asked Bruce his recommendations for a spot to eat nearby, and we left to go eat — only we promptly forgot to go eat, got in our car, departed Burbank and wound up at Amoeba Records in Los Angeles, where we could have bought an Ice Cube cube for only $1 at a benefit auction. Instead, we purchased "Adam-12: Season 2."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #313 on: October 04, 2008, 11:11:59 PM »

Love Adam 12, Season 2. 

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #314 on: October 04, 2008, 11:17:34 PM »

Whew! I'm finally back at my NY abode after a whirlwind day!

It was so great to see Ben, Larry and Jose (and I love the picture!) and hear all their juicy Broadway dish---even though I don't know half of the shows they're talking about, I just love sitting back and listening to it all. So much fun!!

After I left our merry band of HHW, I grabbed a cab and picked up the director, who was having someone from his apartment help him to the street. I found an arm sling---two actually---for him. The first one I bought was cheap and an ugly blue color. Since we were going to a formal event, I also picked up a more expensive and stylish black one. That turned out to be a lucky find since he was wearing a black suit.

So we cabbed it up to the DGA to see Clint interviewed by Lillian Ross, who must be in her late 80's but still very sharp! They had a piano on stage and Lillian coaxed Clint into tickling the ivories for a bit. It was about an hour and a half talk, with a long montage of film clips from select movies. I was introduced to Clint's director of photography, who was very jovial, and his editor, who wasn't. He seemed a bit stressed because he had a lot of details to worry about.

When we went to leave, the director called out to the biggest guy around to help him out of his theatre seat. In the process, his coat pocket got hooked on the chair arm and ripped his pocket away from his coat. So I found a nearby cleaners and he made it worth the tailor's while to fix it then and there. (Money talks!)

He didn't want to go back downtown so I came back to change into my evening duds, and then headed to Nobu. The director had been standing in front for about an hour waiting for them to open, because he was afraid to go anywhere and sit down. So I got to Nobu about an hour earlier than we planned and hung out with him. Finally we were allowed inside---very beautiful in there!

The tables had bowls of nigiri and rolls, and some cooked fish (someone decided it was cod) and we thought that was it. But then people started firing up hot food---I had a huge scallop, some skinny mushrooms on a bed of brussells sprouts, (OMG good!) tender sliced beef...I wish I hadn't had suchi to begin with so I could have tried everything.

There were about20 tables at the party, and most had names on them, so we didn't know where to sit. We ended up at a table with Clint's table on one side and Angelina Jolie's on the other. I only saw her for about 5 minutes, but Brad Pitt was with her (in a goofy checkered hat!) and at one point I noticed he was just sitting there with no one to talk to, so I took this as my cue to do just that!

I told him that my partner and I had made the S & V documentary and that someone in his office had requested a copy. He said that he had two people that worked with him who always had their eyes out for potential new ideas for films. He said they were really smart and had great taste, so our film must be very good. I know he probably says that kind of thing all the time but it was still nice that he treated me as a fellow filmmaker.

I also had a chance to talk to Colm Feore. I like him very much (I did trailers for his film NUREMBURG so it was a good entree) and hardly anyone was talking to him, so he seemed glad to chat, and his wife was very sweet, too.

Clint, his wife and daughter arrived after most people were there, Brian Grazer was there along with another producer. (His daughter has a one shot cameo in the film...she's about 12.) His wife is beautiful and seemed very nice. The director introduced Clint to me and we both said we were looking forward to the project. His hand enveloped mine. He seems very unpretentious, and I didn't feel intimidated by him at all.

The director had already seen Changeling several times, so he got one of the Clint cars to take him home. I hung out with the woman who headed up the film program at MoMA for decades (she recently retired due to health problems) and her husband. They were wonderful company. They live near Madeline, and I told them about the macarons there, and the husband told me about a place that used to be on 9th that had amazing ones, but that they were really easy to make yourself. Yeah...right... I can't imagine them being anywhere in the ballpark of Madeline. They also decided not to go to the movie (it ended after midnight...it's 140 minutes long). I wish I'd known all these people were going to bail out so I could've called a few friends, but oh well...

I really enjoyed the movie. Angelina Jolie was great and the story was very gripping. The audience seemed to like it very much.

So, now time to hit the hay, after completing my cat-sitting duties.

Whew!

Thanks again to Larry, Ben and Jose for getting up early to meet me!!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #315 on: October 04, 2008, 11:17:53 PM »

God, that was a long post. Sorry!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #316 on: October 04, 2008, 11:21:22 PM »

Long, but good!

Edisaurus

« Reply #317 on: October 04, 2008, 11:21:31 PM »

I decided that macarons would be the perfect thank you gift to my hosts. I won't see them before I leave so I'm going to pick up a box for them and one for my partner Peter---I'll go uptown to see his family tomorrow. I may just go there for breakfast!

As far as other local food, I discovered something---I can't remember the name but I'm sure that Jose knows what it is. I wanted to get a little something to tide me over until dinner and walked past a street fair in the village. They were making these corn pancakes with cheese in the middle. All I can say is, it's a good thing they don't make these in Atlanta. God was it good, and probably a whole days worth of weight watcher points!

Edisaurus

« Reply #318 on: October 04, 2008, 11:21:46 PM »

OK, now to bed!

Edisaurus

« Reply #319 on: October 04, 2008, 11:22:15 PM »

Long, but good!

That's what she said! Harhar...

Edisaurus

« Reply #320 on: October 04, 2008, 11:24:07 PM »

The director is named Bruce, BTW but there are already two Bruces here so I didn't want to be more confusing!  I was telling him about bk's CDs today---he thought that was very interesting.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Up