Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: A MONDAY KIND OF MONDAY  (Read 71853 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re: A MONDAY KIND OF MONDAY
« Reply #270 on: October 06, 2008, 08:36:41 PM »

I have my new glasses and for the first time since August 1 the world is in focus. I walked down to 72nd Street  to pick them up on my way to O'Neal's at 65th, where I had a wonderful dinner with Bruce Pomahac. Then we went to see the Schmidt-Jnes presentation, which is a part of the Merkin Hall musical theatre series. The evening was quite wonderful, with Dick Latessa, who won an Obie for playing Philemon, redoing a nmber from PHILEMON, Estelle Parsons performing a "folk song" about the great IRT Race that she had sung in 1959 in a Julius Monk revue. Nick Spangler of THE AMAZING RACE took the night off from THE FANTASTICKS to sing "Soon It's Going To Rain" and "Under The Tree" from CELEBRATION with Betsy Morgan, who was in THE FANTASTICKS last year. Nick and Martin Vidnovic also did "I Can See it."

Susan Watson sang "It Was You," two numbers from COLETTE CLLAGE "Joy" and "The Room Is Filled with You," as well as "Wandrin' Child" which was taken from Harvey's score to the film BADCOMPANY. Karen Ziemba and Vidnovic did several numbers from I DO I DO and "Melisande" and "Simple Things" from 110 IN THE SHADE. Kenneth Kantor was very funny with "Where did It Go?" from CELEBRATION and Donna English from several FORBIDDEN BROADWAYs did a wonderful revue song "I Know Loneliness Quite Well" and "Decorate The Human Face." As a finale 89-year-old Marge Champion and 88-year-old Donald Saddler premiered a new dance to Harry Belafonte's recording of "Try To Remember."

I saw David Shire and Didi Conn after, along with Joe Thalken, Pamela Myers of COMPANY, Walter Willison, my godson Sam who's now 8 feet tall, Sean Flahaven, and a lot of other friends. It was a wonderful night.  The next event on Nov 3 is a Shire and Maltby evening and I told David I'd be there.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #271 on: October 06, 2008, 08:46:34 PM »

Sounds like a wonderful evening, DR Elmore. Thanks for sharing it with us.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #272 on: October 06, 2008, 08:47:23 PM »

Now, I guess I'm ready to head downstairs to read a bit and then go to sleep.

Good night!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #273 on: October 06, 2008, 08:50:55 PM »

Well... Ever since I got back from my walk, I've been a little sniffly.  I'm hoping it's just my Fall allergies, and not a cold settling in.  In any case, I think some sleep will help in either case.

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #274 on: October 06, 2008, 08:52:57 PM »

Have I mentioned that my parents got to meet Marge Champion on the street outside our building yesterday when we were waiting for their ride to take them from here to Brooklyn?

FJL

« Reply #275 on: October 06, 2008, 08:56:00 PM »

To quote Ann Hampton Callaway (as I make a bending, scooping movement as if trying to pick something up off the floor)  oops i dropped a name.  :)

And to quote a joke told by Jrand, I know those are Fred's parents, but who's that elegant lady talking to them?

FJL

« Reply #276 on: October 06, 2008, 08:57:14 PM »

I think i learned that joke from Jrand???

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #277 on: October 06, 2008, 09:08:23 PM »

I've been trying to watch a motion picture - started about six things that I TIVOd, but really can't get with it.  Tomorrow I may have to go do some heavy trading at Amoeba - several nice DVDs out tomorrow.

td

• td
« Reply #278 on: October 06, 2008, 09:09:02 PM »

DR elmore - your trip to Merkin Hall sounds fantastick!  thank you for sharing!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

MBarnum

« Reply #279 on: October 06, 2008, 09:12:12 PM »

Does anyone have the DVD of SINGING IN THE RAIN? If so, how does it look?

I dvr'd the movie off TCM and the whole time it looks kind of out of focus or fuzzy, like I need to be wearing my glasses. I was expecting it to look much sharper. I am just wondering if the DVD release is like that, also.

Cillaliz

« Reply #280 on: October 06, 2008, 09:17:54 PM »

Wet....sorry it was the first thing that came to mind.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #281 on: October 06, 2008, 09:37:15 PM »

I dvr'd the movie off TCM and the whole time it looks kind of out of focus or fuzzy, like I need to be wearing my glasses. I was expecting it to look much sharper. I am just wondering if the DVD release is like that, also.

The DVD of Singin' In The Rain (the Ultra Resolution one) is very sharp and, like all Warners DVDs, too damn brown - it resembles not one whit what the IB Tech prints looked like. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #282 on: October 06, 2008, 09:40:02 PM »

I'm just so restless right now.  I can't sit still.  Perhaps I'm having an anxiety attack.  Part of the reason is my slight dissatisfaction with the CD master - our source material wasn't optimal and I'm very particular about sound, as you know.  The mastering guy did a masterful job, but could only do so much.  However, the rarity of the material is the thing - minimally I'll put something in the booklet about the sound, and it's not horrible, but it's not up to my standards.  And I'm just feeling anxiety about it.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #283 on: October 06, 2008, 09:58:32 PM »

I'm back from Visiting my cousin and his wife in Coquille, Oregon.  The drive down on Friday was pleasant, long and uneventful.  John, my cousin, and Angel have been living in their house for a couple of years, but the house is 102 years old!  It has four bedrooms (we stayed in the two bedrooms upstairs) and only one bathroom.  That wasn't too bad in itself, except that the toilet is right up against the wall...I mean there is probably two inches between the side of the toilet seat and the wall.  That's just toooooo darned close. :P

« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 10:07:08 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #284 on: October 06, 2008, 10:01:09 PM »

Anyway, here's a picture of my sister Diane, Angel, John and me (photo taken by my niece):

« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 10:37:33 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #285 on: October 06, 2008, 10:02:24 PM »

On Saturday, we went to the beach and walked around town in Bandon, Oregon and then visited a lighthouse.  Otherwise, we just stayed at their house, played Phase 10 and visited.  It was great.  They really enjoyed having us visit and we had a great time visiting.

Here's a picture of me at the beach:

And here's my sister Dee Dee, my niece Hilary, Angel and John overlooking the water:

« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 10:43:44 PM by George »

George

« Reply #286 on: October 06, 2008, 10:06:08 PM »

We were actually up above on a cliff over the beach, but it was a nice view.  After the beach, we drove a few more miles and went up a lighthouse.  Here's a picture of that:

George

« Reply #287 on: October 06, 2008, 10:26:45 PM »

Yesterday, we left Coquille and went to Portland.  We stayed in Portland one night because my niece, who has been a vegetarian for a couple of years (as has my sister), is starting to "try" becoming a vegan (my sister is not).  In Portland, there is what my niece says is the world's first vegan mini-mall.  It's basically four vegan/vegetarian stores next to each other.  My niece bought a couple of shirts and buttons.  Here's a view from our hotel room:

George

« Reply #288 on: October 06, 2008, 10:29:20 PM »

After that, we went to Ikea!  Two stories of Ikea and NO SALES TAX! :D Of course, we had no room in the car for anything more than small stuff, but it was still fun.  We left Ikea in Portland, Oregon and came home to Tumwater, Washington.  And now, I'm home and most importantly, on my own computer!  My final picture, here's right after lunch at Ikea:

;D

George

« Reply #289 on: October 06, 2008, 10:33:28 PM »

And now I have three days of posts to catch up on!

George

« Reply #290 on: October 06, 2008, 10:45:00 PM »

It's going to take me a while to ketchup on three days of posts.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #291 on: October 06, 2008, 10:53:16 PM »

Just found out I can buy my beloved Twizzler's Chocolate licorice on eBay - and the seller also has some other candies I've never even heard of - variations on old faves, like dark chocolate and cherry-flavored three musketeers, and apple caramel Hershey's kisses.  I shall have to explore further, but the chocolate Twizzler's will be mine, since no one sells them in CA.

George

« Reply #292 on: October 07, 2008, 12:05:14 AM »

I'm still back on Saturday's posts, but I just have to say that I LOVE this picture!!

;D
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up