Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE RAW AND SCRATCHY THROAT  (Read 70126 times)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Re: THE RAW AND SCRATCHY THROAT
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2008, 08:11:45 AM »

I am INDAGATE that Yom Kippur isn't even over yet and Fred Meyer already has SUKKOT decorations up!  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2008, 08:14:13 AM »

I wanted to tell VIXMOM my appliance hell story.  So here it is:

A couple weeks ago my oven wasn't heating properly. It's twenty years old and a built-in. I phoned GE. They could not tell me if they still make parts for my model (I REALLY think they ought to be able to tell me that!), but they could schedule a service call.  I checked the GE website and it appears that my model was discontinued. The new models are all somewhat wider. But it is a built-in and there's no extra space! It appeared that to replace it would mean modifying the cabintry, which I REALLY don't want to do at this point. Oy!!

The repairman, fortunately, says it can be fixed. He had to order the part and he should be installing it today. In the meantime, I did numerous web searches and learned that there's a model very similar to mine, which I think would fit the space, if today's repair doesn't work after all. Apparently, GE doesn't consider it the same model, but it's close enough for me.

I am very relieved, but I know from experience that it's not over till it's over.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2008, 08:18:48 AM »

Ann Miller down on Funky Street

Some things are just sooooooo wrong.

;)

Amen to that.   

From what I remember, the only place "anything" was ever "funky" was on TV or at the movies.  I never knew anyone into funk.

And Ann Miller COULD do anything.  It's just that, in this case, it wasn't worth doing.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2008, 08:21:46 AM »

Well my television set is not working this morning.  It was fine last night.  The blue light comes on that it is ON....but now it won't turn off, and there is NO picture, and I can't bring up the little icon telling me which input to access....it is just ON.

I called service and they are sending me a prepaid BOX to send it away in.

But first I think I will unplug it and see if it resets itself.  Time will tell. 

Argh! Though I have a back-up here, I would be MORTIFIED to deal with this. Hope you can get things working and not have to fool with mailing it in for service.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2008, 08:22:05 AM »

I'm up - barely.  Because I usually have trouble sleeping if my throat feels this way, I took some Ny-Quil, too.  I'm too groggy to know how I feel yet.  Jogging today should be interesting.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2008, 08:24:35 AM »

Heading down now to clean up for lunch out later.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2008, 08:26:48 AM »

Re:  Last night's "Project Runway"

SPOILAGE

I think the judges made the absolute right call last night.  Sometimes it's hard to separate the "body of work" the contestants did throughout the weeks of competition from what they're presenting as their "best" work at the end.  I don't know how much of the individual collections the judges have seen, but Jerrell's is very much in the same vein as his wedding dress...and even moreso, I think.  It's all well done, but it's unrelentingly overwrought, IMO.

Poor Korto didn't deliver a great wedding dress or bridesmaid outfit.  I can imagine, however, that she has cultural differences as to what bridal wear ought to be like, especially being from Liberia.  Everyone in the world does not embrace the traditional wedding dress ideal that Leanne presented.  Her dress was way beautiful, though.  I thought Kenley's was wonderful, as well.  It was odd, in a way, that Kenley's work resonated so well last night.  I got the feeling that she really "wants" to be one of the gang but that her ego-driven personality -- and defensiveness -- often are her worst enemy.  I felt bad for Jerrell, but I am relieved for Korto that she will be showing at Bryant Park.  I've seen all the collections, and I think Korto's is much better than Jerrell's.  But then what do I know about women's fashion?!!!?

End SPOILAGE
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 08:28:45 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2008, 08:27:42 AM »

Goodbye, Wisit!  It's been....strange! *

("Top Design" viewers will understand)

JMK

« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2008, 08:27:44 AM »

For whoever asked about Debbie's Silver Hammer (so to speak) last night, here's some info:

http://bedazzled.blogs.com/bedazzled/2006/09/debbie_reynolds.html

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Kerry

« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2008, 08:28:58 AM »

Good Morning! Good Day!  How are you this beautiful day?

I have many errands to do today, AND I will continue to weed through more videos and CDs than I thought I had.  I think I'll keep the garbage can nearby.

Check back later.
I like boat races.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2008, 08:46:31 AM »

I forgot the other wonderful British gangster film THE KRAYS!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2008, 08:55:06 AM »

I think I'll keep the garbage can nearby.

Don't let Fletcher near it!

He loves to dump trash cans and scatter the contents

Today Mr. Smarty Pants got his inquisitive head caught:

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2008, 09:02:28 AM »

Didier Deutsch, the producer of the new Sondheim box set, rushed into production after four years because some little label put out Evening Primrose, makes this astonishing statement in a USA Today story:

""Very few people have heard the incidental music from The Enclave," a 1973 play by Arthur Laurents."

Really?  Very interesting, since Sondheim fans have been hearing it since 1993 on Unsung Sondheim.  That album has sold upwards of 25,000 copies - I suppose in the scheme of things that's "very few" but in his "very few" I think we know Deutsch is talking about the Sondheim fan.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2008, 09:15:19 AM »

Yesterday, in response to my attaining a new milestone, Cillalize wrote:

Re: WALK ON THE WILD SIDE
« Reply #194 on: October 08, 2008, 05:31:34 PM »

Congrats Ron...that's a lot of typing.

Responding to DR Cillaliz' post to me, DR Kerry posted:
Re: WALK ON THE WILD SIDE
« Reply #203 on: October 08, 2008, 06:41:51 PM »

It' just a lot of short pos [sic]

Really, DR Kerry?  Just a lot of short "pos"??? 

Whatever your personal opinion is of me, you have also passed a pissy value judgment on any number of posters here who have had milestones, taken pleasure from them and attained not a few of their number from "just a lot of short pos" [sic].

Thank you so much for killing some of the pleasure I felt in attaining the milestone and for being dismissive of it in response to another poster's congratulations.

I'll return the favor.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2008, 09:15:40 AM »

Why is everyone just sitting there like so much fish.  My throat doesn't feel quite as scratchy but does feel raw and I'm definitely a little under the weather.  Now I just have to pray my voice hold out for Saturday's event, since I'm moderating.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2008, 09:17:31 AM »

All milestones are good.  I like them.  I like them better than millstones and gallstones and old stones, but do remember that a Goldstone is a gem.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2008, 09:18:55 AM »

It's very pretty out.  The weather people did tell us a week ago that the hot weather was done as of last Saturday.  Last Saturday was a drizzly gray day.  Since last Saturday, the temperature has been over eighty degrees every day, and yesterday and the day before were both in the 90s.  Go weather people.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2008, 09:28:25 AM »

Good Morning!  Good Afternoon!

I'm up, I'm up... And, yes, I slept in, but I can definitely tell that all the rest and sleep has "helped" my cold - well, rather, my lack of cold.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2008, 09:29:37 AM »

And it's also very nice here in NYC.  It seems we're having an almost-Indian Summer over the next few days with the daytime temps back in the mid-70s through Sunday.
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2008, 09:30:12 AM »

Now I just have to pray...

Appropriate to the day.

der Brucer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2008, 09:31:57 AM »

Didier Deutsch, the producer of the new Sondheim box set, rushed into production after four years because some little label put out Evening Primrose, makes this astonishing statement in a USA Today story:

""Very few people have heard the incidental music from The Enclave," a 1973 play by Arthur Laurents."

Really?  Very interesting, since Sondheim fans have been hearing it since 1993 on Unsung Sondheim.  That album has sold upwards of 25,000 copies - I suppose in the scheme of things that's "very few" but in his "very few" I think we know Deutsch is talking about the Sondheim fan.

Mister Deutsch has been a moron in my opinion since around 1987 when he reviewed for Max Preeo's SHOW MUSIC the Book-of-the-Month Club's "Songs of New York" recording, which was my first commercial work, and panned it because all of the arrangements were so old-fashioned.  The conductor made it very clear in the recording's notes that each song was arranged to fit into the period of the song's composition, and in some cases the arrangements were recreations of their original commercial recordings.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2008, 09:34:38 AM »

DR RonPulliam - I believe DR Kerry's rather confusing "It' just a lot of short pos" was in response to DR JMK's query in regards to the A&M, Herb Alpert, Mafia story - which also appears in that post.

In any case, regardless of who or what it was in reference too, I still have no frell what "It' just a lot of short pos" means.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2008, 09:37:35 AM »

DR RonPulliam - I believe DR Kerry's rather confusing "It' just a lot of short pos" was in response to DR JMK's query in regards to the A&M, Herb Alpert, Mafia story - which also appears in that post.

In which case, it makes even less sense.    ;D

I have posted over at the A&M Board about this Mafia business.  Several people there are friends and/or relatives of Herb's, so I'm sure I'll get the "real" story.  I have never heard about this before (which is not to say it's not true, I'm just sayin').

DERBRUCER

« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2008, 09:39:01 AM »

Mister Deutsch has been a moron in my opinion since around 1987 when he reviewed for Max Preeo's SHOW MUSIC the Book-of-the-Month Club's "Songs of New York" recording, which was my first commercial work, and panned it because all of the arrangements were so old-fashioned.  The conductor made it very clear in the recording's notes that each song was arranged to fit into the period of the song's composition, and in some cases the arrangements were recreations of their original commercial recordings.

Maybe Ditsy Deutsch doesn't appreciate artistic integrity.

der Brucer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2008, 09:39:15 AM »

bk - So... Emergen-C, Cold-Eze and Airborne... That's a LOT of Vitamin C all at once in your system.  No wonder you're bloated.  Yes, Vitamin C is good for you, and, yes, your body will just "eliminate" some of the extra stuff it takes in.  However, taking in too much Vitamin C all at once can also cause diarrhea-like conditions due to all that ascorbic acid in your stomach.  Just FYI.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2008, 09:43:03 AM »

Maybe Ditsy Deutsch doesn't appreciate artistic integrity.

der Brucer

Or old-fashioned arrangements!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2008, 09:45:11 AM »

For whoever asked about Debbie's Silver Hammer (so to speak) last night, here's some info:

http://bedazzled.blogs.com/bedazzled/2006/09/debbie_reynolds.html

Ah, so it was a Scopitone "music video".  I guess it kind of makes sense, in a way.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2008, 09:48:26 AM »

SHIPOOPI!

SHIPOOPI!

SHIPOOPI!
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2008, 09:51:30 AM »

SHIPOOPI!

SHIPOOPI!

SHIPOOPI!

The flavor of the day?

der Brucer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2008, 09:54:44 AM »

SHIPOOPI!

SHIPOOPI!

SHIPOOPI!

The flavor of the day?

der Brucer

Nope.  The Flavor of the Day is Chocolate Candied Corn

Make Your Own Luck.