Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: BREAKING UP IS HARD TO DO  (Read 61820 times)

Ginny

Re: BREAKING UP IS HARD TO DO
« Reply #90 on: October 12, 2008, 12:58:40 PM »

I may have to do a road trip for COPACABANA if the timing works out with my work schedule.

Pittsburgh is a very easy day's drive for us and I'll be well into my first year of retirement by the time this show plays, so we may join you there!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #91 on: October 12, 2008, 01:14:26 PM »

Hmmm... "Dreamgirls" looks pretty good in HD on a widescreen TV.  :)

For my money, it is one of the BEST high definition transfers  I've yet seen (though the Blu-ray does not have a lossless soundtrack; a stupid decision.)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #92 on: October 12, 2008, 01:15:51 PM »

I've had a very busy day of viewing. I began by finally finishing MAD MEN from last Sunday. My goodness, I don't know what's going to happen to Betty. And Don is taking the separation from family a lot harder than I would have expected.

Matt H.

« Reply #93 on: October 12, 2008, 01:17:34 PM »

Next, I watched Thursday night's SMALLVILLE. A decent new villainess, but where do these producers find these awful guest actresses for this show? The girl who played Kira last year was terrible, and the one playing the alien this week was likewise amateurish.

Matt H.

« Reply #94 on: October 12, 2008, 01:18:48 PM »

I also watched Tuesday night's GENERAL HOSPITAL: NIGHT SHIFT for the next-to-last appearance of Chad Allen as the gay doc's love interest. They share a smouldering kiss that was quite wonderful. So sad they're ending this right when it was really interesting.

Matt H.

« Reply #95 on: October 12, 2008, 01:20:26 PM »

Then, I got down to work and watched the first three episodes of NASH BRIDGES. Nash is an excellent role for the talents of Don Johnson, and he's certainly got enough star power to carry the lead of the show, but I really didn't much care for this mix of domestic scenes with his two ex-wives and daughter and the cop stuff. I don't think they blend so felicitously.

Matt H.

« Reply #96 on: October 12, 2008, 01:21:41 PM »

I also listened to the audio commentary for the pilot episode done with creator/producer Carleton Cuse (who went on to something far more sophisticated with LOST) and co-star Cheech Marin.

Don Johnson does the commentary on the next episode coming up when I go back downstairs.

FJL

« Reply #97 on: October 12, 2008, 01:22:04 PM »

Here's another review I just saw of Skip's show HERRINGBONE at the McCarter, this one from Philadelphia Weekly.  (I assume the performance being attended by Skip, Larry and Ben and dear neighbor Ann is over, and that they'll be on the train back to NYC any minute now.)

http://www.philadelphiaweekly.com/articles/17744/a-e--stage

(You have to scroll down past the review of ROCK N ROLL after you click on the link,  or you can read the review below:)

"Encountering something unique in theater is immensely rare, which makes Herringbone (currently playing at the McCarter Theatre in a stunning production from director Roger Rees) a cause for celebration. A one-man musical starring BD Wong portraying a host of identities, Herringbone emerges as one of the most curious theater concoctions in recent memory. Adapted by Tom Cone from his own one-act play with music and lyrics by Skip Kennon and Ellen Fitzhugh, the story involves an 8-year-old boy in Depression-era Alabama whose body is inhabited by a deceased vaudevillian. Though the tale is set in 1929, it’s equally accurate to describe the story as occurring presently in the mind of the performer, and in Wong’s dazzling performance it becomes nearly impossible to distinguish the story from the storyteller. Both a conventional musical and an entirely original work of performance art, Herringbone takes some getting used to. But while there have been numerous plays focusing on the art of performance, few have probed the psychology of the actor as deeply or as interestingly as Herringbone. Vivid, theatrical and at times deeply disturbing, Herringbone provides a startling exploration of the art of acting."
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 01:23:36 PM by FJL »

FJL

« Reply #98 on: October 12, 2008, 01:25:56 PM »

Ginny - That would be fun!  I'm hoping that works out schedule-wise.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #99 on: October 12, 2008, 01:26:26 PM »

DR FJL - That's another great write-up, and another reason I'm sorry I wasn't able to see the show.  -And I also just found out - via Facebook, no less - that I know one of the stage managers too!  :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #100 on: October 12, 2008, 01:33:06 PM »

On TV Tonight!

COLD CAST

A sequel to Nothern Exposure set in Cicely's Little Theatre?

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Matt H.

« Reply #101 on: October 12, 2008, 01:40:27 PM »

On TV Tonight!

COLD CAST

A sequel to Nothern Exposure set in Cicely's Little Theatre?

der Brucer

Right on the money!

Matt H.

« Reply #102 on: October 12, 2008, 01:41:20 PM »

Heading down now to clean the master bath, put away the folded laundry, and then get back to Mr. Nash Bridges of San Francisco.

WBBL.

Cillaliz

« Reply #103 on: October 12, 2008, 01:42:08 PM »

Congrats to Skip on another good review.   

DERBRUCER

« Reply #104 on: October 12, 2008, 01:51:15 PM »

I have almost no voice right now -

And they say Voodoo dolls don't work :)

der Brucer

'Tho the razor blade to the throat did some doll damage

FJL

« Reply #105 on: October 12, 2008, 02:11:09 PM »

Sounds like there was a small post-show reception at the McCarter which Skip, Ben, Larry and dear neighbor Ann went to for a while since it was the last performance. 

So they're all now on the (slightly) later train.

Travel details brought to you by......

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #106 on: October 12, 2008, 02:14:14 PM »

Semi-Random Tidbit...

McDonald's now offers both "(Tangy) Honey Mustard (Chicken Selects Sauce)" and a "Hot Mustard (Sauce)" for their (All White Meat) Chicken McNuggets.  The first ingredient listed on both packets is "water", then it gets interesting.

The second and third ingredients listed on the "Honey Mustard" packet are "sugar" and "dijon mustard".  Meanwhile on the "Hot Mustard Sauce", the second and third ingredients are "high fructose corn syrup" and "distilled vinegar".  ("Mustard Seed" is listed fifth after "soybean oil".)  -And both products also contain "egg yolks".

???  :-\  ???  :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #107 on: October 12, 2008, 02:15:10 PM »

Sounds like there was a small post-show reception at the McCarter which Skip, Ben, Larry and dear neighbor Ann went to for a while since it was the last performance. 

So they're all now on the (slightly) later train.

Travel details brought to you by......

Did they close with this afternoon's matinee?  Or is there still a Sunday evening performance tonight?
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #108 on: October 12, 2008, 02:15:40 PM »

SLEEPING BEAUTY has always been my favorite Disney cartoon since I first saw it. The immensity of it compared to the other Disney titles I had seen up to that point, those delightful fairies who reminded me so much of my grandmother and other close aunts with their fussing and dotty ways, and the marvelous adaptation of the music from the ballet. I am certain I have watched this one more than any other Disney animated feature. I remember paying to see it five times at the theater over the years. I also remember how disappointed I was when it came out that there was no soundtrack album. I bought Darlene Gillespie's Little Golden Records of "Once Upon a Dream" and "Hail to the Princess Aurora" as the only recordings I could find at the time of the music. Imagine my shock years later thumbing through records in a drug store LP record bin when there was the soundtrack for SLEEPING BEAUTY for something like $1.99!

Of course, *I* can't comment on the Blu-ray since it still has not arrived (it was sent to another reviewer by mistake and he put it in the mail to me yesterday so I won't see it until at least Tuesday and maybe not even then.) However, the Blu-ray set also contains a copy of the movie on regular DVD so I WILL be able to compare the visual quality of the two. Won't do it for the review (I'll compare it to the last DVD release in 2003), but will watch the regular DVD version for my own information.

I don't own a Blu-ray player (yet) but I bought the Blu-ray DVD of "Sleeping Beauty" because it had the regular DVD with it, so that I could watch it until I got a Blu-ray DVD player.  I think that that was very smart of Disney to package them that way. 
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #109 on: October 12, 2008, 02:20:50 PM »

Semi-Random Tidbit...

McDonald's now offers both "(Tangy) Honey Mustard (Chicken Selects Sauce)" and a "Hot Mustard (Sauce)" for their (All White Meat) Chicken McNuggets.  The first ingredient listed on both packets is "water", then it gets interesting.

The second and third ingredients listed on the "Honey Mustard" packet are "sugar" and "dijon mustard".  Meanwhile on the "Hot Mustard Sauce", the second and third ingredients are "high fructose corn syrup" and "distilled vinegar".  ("Mustard Seed" is listed fifth after "soybean oil".)  -And both products also contain "egg yolks".

Are they both packaged by the same outfit?

der Brucer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #110 on: October 12, 2008, 02:25:26 PM »

Semi-Random Tidbit...

Are they both packaged by the same outfit?

der Brucer

According to the labels, yes, they are.

*And I wasn't the one who bought lunch for the nieces and nephews.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #111 on: October 12, 2008, 02:30:43 PM »

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #112 on: October 12, 2008, 02:35:29 PM »

And for those Foodies and Food Consumers here on HHW, today's New York Times Magazine is The Food Issue.  Quite a good range of topics.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #113 on: October 12, 2008, 02:37:01 PM »

Semi-Random Tidbit...

Have you ever read the ingredients to KFC's "honey sauce"??  I actually had a packet in my fridge.  The ingredients...in order...are:  "High fructose corn syrup, sugar, honey, corn syrup, natural flavor, caramel color."  Honey is the THIRD ingredient and it has high fructose corn syrup AND corn syrup.  What is the world coming to??

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: October 12, 2008, 02:38:32 PM »

Back from the Shrine.  Very ill-attended comic book show.  Brent Spiner was there signing his new CD and he had a line of six people.  I think no one is spending money.  I saw my dealer pals, made an exchange, and came home.  I couldn't even croak out any words at the Shrine, but I just had some homemade ham and eggs and one English muffin, and that's helped a bit.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: October 12, 2008, 02:39:13 PM »

I'll tell you what the world is coming to George - we're on page four, that's what the world is coming to. 

FJL

« Reply #116 on: October 12, 2008, 02:42:08 PM »

Jose - They closed with the matinee this afternoon.

I think TALLEY'S FOLLY starring Richard Schiff starts at their other theater tonight, so they've got a busy day there.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: October 12, 2008, 02:51:55 PM »

I want to be OVER this.

Adriana Patti

• The best is yet to come!
« Reply #118 on: October 12, 2008, 02:53:47 PM »

Hello All!

The new board looks fantastic.

I heard there were some requests for pictures of the last few events, so I am here to supply what I can :)
"If we did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves."
-Thomas Edison

DERBRUCER

« Reply #119 on: October 12, 2008, 02:58:31 PM »

...homemade ham ...

You have a smokehouse?

der Brucer
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up