Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: MERCURY IS OUT OF RETROGRADE  (Read 131073 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re: MERCURY IS OUT OF RETROGRADE
« Reply #270 on: October 15, 2008, 04:34:27 PM »

That is a beautiful library.  While not as beautiful, there were two libraries in Michigan I enjoyed very much.  One I passed almost every day, with a nice parking lot, making it very easy to use on a regular basis.

Well you like walking - from downtown, the Library is a short wonderful walk up the tree-lined Benjamin Franklin Parkway; and, a few blocks more and you can play Rocky and run up the steps of the Philadelphia Museum of Art. (In the same stretch you find the Franklin Institute with the Fels Panetarium, the Museum of Natural History and the Rodin Museum).
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #271 on: October 15, 2008, 04:39:13 PM »

The new Vernetta Smith Chehalis Timberland Library should will be opening this weekend.  It's supposed to have Washington State's very first library drive-through window!

I have visions of you, in your Dolly Dimples get-up, posing under the "Pick-Up" window.

der Brucer

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #272 on: October 15, 2008, 04:39:33 PM »

Two mysteries solved at once.  The library was busy as the number on the card was not the current phone number for the library.  I couldn't use my library card number on line as my card was canceled due to lack of use.  I wish they had warned me it would be canceled.  It would have gotten me into use the library.

You can get another card, you know. ;)

;D  I will, but what a nuisance.  I will even check out a few books.  I wonder what the late fees are these days.  They have this annoying rule you can't renew a book if there is a hold on it.

Jane

« Reply #273 on: October 15, 2008, 04:41:21 PM »

That is a beautiful library.  While not as beautiful, there were two libraries in Michigan I enjoyed very much.  One I passed almost every day, with a nice parking lot, making it very easy to use on a regular basis.

Well you like walking - from downtown, the Library is a short wonderful walk up the tree-lined Benjamin Franklin Parkway; and, a few blocks more and you can play Rocky and run up the steps of the Philadelphia Museum of Art. (In the same stretch you find the Franklin Institute with the Fels Panetarium, the Museum of Natural History and the Rodin Museum).

I'm been to the city a number of times and must have seen the library & never gone in.  If Craig stays in the city I will make an effort to go inside.  I think I will suggest he get a library card.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #274 on: October 15, 2008, 04:48:02 PM »

I am trying to figure out if I want to be Scrooge this Christmas!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #275 on: October 15, 2008, 04:48:32 PM »

It's getting so I need to take a Dramamine before I look at any news of the economy. 

Especially if you're in my position where your IRA is tied up in investments by your bank! I'm down $1200. On the positive side I'm down more lbs, and thank God it's not pound sterling.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #276 on: October 15, 2008, 04:50:50 PM »

Yummy! Fresh sliced cucumber in vinegar. Deelish!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #277 on: October 15, 2008, 04:59:19 PM »

Is the debate at six or six-thirty?

9:00 EST, about an hour from now.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #278 on: October 15, 2008, 04:59:31 PM »

I'm been to the city a number of times and must have seen the library & never gone in.  If Craig stays in the city I will make an effort to go inside.  I think I will suggest he get a library card.

There's much to "see" as well as read:

One of the oldest public libraries in the nation, the Free Library’s central building contains over one million volumes. It ranks as one of the most comprehensive collections in the country, with particularly extensive holdings of early printed books, incunabula (1,100) and medieval manuscripts.

The primary manuscript holdings are grouped in John Frederick Lewis Collection, consisting of more than 200 codices and 2,000 detached leaves spanning the 9th to 18th centuries. Virtually all types of medieval book are represented—Bibles, Psalters, antiphonaries, missals, patristic and philosophical texts, devotional works, and over fifty Books of Hours. Some of the most famous illuminated works include the Lewis Bible, related to the Paris Bibles moralisées (c.1225); calendar pages from the Hours of Henry VII, painted by Jean Bourdichon (c.1500); a Book of Hours decorated by Jean Colombe (c.1475); and a genealogical roll of Edward IV illustrated in England (c.1480). Another 200 works form the core of the Lewis oriental collection, comprising one of the country’s premier collections of Mughal illuminated manuscripts.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #279 on: October 15, 2008, 05:00:59 PM »

Yummy! Fresh sliced cucumber in vinegar. Deelish!

Add some freshly cracked black pepper!

der Brucer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #280 on: October 15, 2008, 05:05:05 PM »

:D

I'm going to help Keith pull the petunia's out of the boxes on our deck.  I always find this sad.  He used to plant pansies for the winter, no more :(

So did I, dear, so did I.
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #281 on: October 15, 2008, 05:07:23 PM »

DB, fascinating!  I wish I could go visit Craig & the library this week.

Ginny

« Reply #282 on: October 15, 2008, 05:11:08 PM »

Our library isn't convenient for me, and parking can be difficult.  I went a number of times when we first moved here, when dogs were still permitted.  After Echo was no long welcome I stopped going.  I've decided I should use the library & was curious if I could go on line to hold books.  Seems I should be able to once I log in.  I can't log in without a password & I can't find a place to give it one.  The phone number for the library has bee busy for a long time.

In our library, you set up your account and password with your phone number and library card number, then you can browse, search and add holds from home.  You can also have your account set up so that you are mailed all your items and you can mail them back.  We'll pay the postage to send the items to you, but you'd have to pay the postage to send them back, or you can return them to any branch and not pay postage...just gas to get yourself to the library.

I think our libraries use the same online system and at Dayton Metro Library you can do all those things.  If you want to drive downtown, you can call and ask that your books be held at the drive-in window.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #283 on: October 15, 2008, 05:11:17 PM »

The new Vernetta Smith Chehalis Timberland Library should will be opening this weekend.  It's supposed to have Washington State's very first library drive-through window!

I have visions of you, in your Dolly Dimples get-up, posing under the "Pick-Up" window.

der Brucer

Don't give me any ideas!  Of course, if it works out, I might be doin' the doob in the Dolly Dimples get-up. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #284 on: October 15, 2008, 05:13:14 PM »

I wonder what the late fees are these days.  They have this annoying rule you can't renew a book if there is a hold on it.

We have that rule, also, but at least we don't charge late fines...if something is lost, then there's a fine, but not for being late.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #285 on: October 15, 2008, 05:14:01 PM »

I like the idea of cucumber in vinegar with pepper - do you add a tiny bit of oil or just the vinegar?  Any other seasonings?  And just normal Heinz vinegar?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #286 on: October 15, 2008, 05:14:44 PM »

I'm going to help Keith pull the petunia's out of the boxes on our deck.  I always find this sad.  He used to plant pansies for the winter, no more :(

Was that a euphemism?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #287 on: October 15, 2008, 05:16:40 PM »

I like the idea of cucumber in vinegar with pepper - do you add a tiny bit of oil or just the vinegar?  Any other seasonings?  And just normal Heinz vinegar?

Just plain vinegar. But not too much and it was quite tasty tonight. My grandmother used to do this for summer salads with sliced tomatoes and thinly sliced raw onion.

singdaw

« Reply #288 on: October 15, 2008, 05:33:13 PM »

As opposed to all the rest of the year, you mean?

;)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #289 on: October 15, 2008, 05:35:47 PM »

If I'm to believe my on-line TV Guide, the local Fox Network stations will pre-empt the Debates with baseball (the NLCS game). (Since we are in the Philly viewing area, that might stop mob-riots).

der Brucer

Thank goodness, it would be a shame if Craig missed watching his Phillies win the playoffs tonight.

Dream on!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #290 on: October 15, 2008, 05:41:38 PM »

As opposed to all the rest of the year, you mean?

;)

Thanks for the sage advice, coleslaw!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #291 on: October 15, 2008, 05:54:42 PM »

G'night!
“One thing’s universal,

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #292 on: October 15, 2008, 05:55:13 PM »

That last comment by Jane was not a euphemism, DR TCB!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #293 on: October 15, 2008, 05:56:15 PM »

Just plain vinegar. But not too much and it was quite tasty tonight. My grandmother used to do this for summer salads with sliced tomatoes and thinly sliced raw onion.

Every summer, every supper, a bowl of sliced cukes in vinegar sat on the table,  alongside the peeled and sliced tomatoes.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #294 on: October 15, 2008, 05:57:13 PM »

Was that a euphemism?

Jane's, No.

TCB's, ... umm....Uh-huh!

Jane

« Reply #295 on: October 15, 2008, 06:03:30 PM »

Neal Heft, composer, arranger and jazz trumpeter passed away.  One of his best known pieces, the theme to Bat Man.

Jane

« Reply #296 on: October 15, 2008, 06:04:20 PM »

That last comment by Jane was not a euphemism, DR TCB!

Just the facts, no euphemisms intended.  ;D

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #297 on: October 15, 2008, 06:10:42 PM »

I hope you do!  We miss going to see you on stage.

Jane

« Reply #298 on: October 15, 2008, 06:24:55 PM »

I wonder what the late fees are these days.  They have this annoying rule you can't renew a book if there is a hold on it.

We have that rule, also, but at least we don't charge late fines...if something is lost, then there's a fine, but not for being late.

I couldn't find any reference to late fees on line.  I will try & remember to ask when I get my new card.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #299 on: October 15, 2008, 06:39:26 PM »

Good Evening!

I had a good time out with some of my old friends.  We just ended up going to a bar, and having drinks.  Well, I had about three glasses of tonic water with a lime.  It was nice to see everyone.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Up