Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ARCH AND THE ARCANE  (Read 27465 times)

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
Re: THE ARCH AND THE ARCANE
« Reply #90 on: October 22, 2008, 10:29:40 AM »

And the word of the day is: PALINODE!

And The Song Of The Day Is: I'M NOT AT ALL IN LOVE

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #91 on: October 22, 2008, 10:29:50 AM »

I too would love to live in Portland, but alas I am poor and can only afford Salem.

I doubt we'd be able to really afford it either, MBarnum.  Tacoma suits us well, though.  It's big enough and close enough to Seattle to keep us close to theaters and such, but a heck of a lot cheaper.  And quite pretty, really, when you know the right areas of town to live in. 

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #92 on: October 22, 2008, 10:31:04 AM »

As If by Wizardry-Page 4

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #93 on: October 22, 2008, 10:34:16 AM »

AND THE CASON KEEPS MARCHING ALONG

Happy Happy Birthday to The Birthday Boy

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #94 on: October 22, 2008, 10:44:03 AM »

Much has been made of the tax benefits to our little town - however since the powers that be (did I mention how they sold us down the river?) gave the multimillionaire smug bassas  a TEN YEAR TAX Moritorium it will do us no good whatsoever until years after our property values have been driven into the ground

My hunch is that your local government gave the developer a Local Property Tax Moritorium; your community should still benefit from the gillions of dollars of sales tax revenue the mall generates. Unless you folks elected a gaggle of villiage idiots to the local halls of government, you should have a net plus on the deal (without the Mall, the property would probably have generated little in Property Taxes).

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #95 on: October 22, 2008, 10:46:30 AM »

But she sure likes to shop at expensive stores...
Easy to do when somone else is picking up the bill.

der Brucer
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 11:14:07 AM by DERBRUCER »

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #96 on: October 22, 2008, 10:48:29 AM »

Happy Birthday DR Cason...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #97 on: October 22, 2008, 10:49:02 AM »

property closing vibes to Elmore......
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #98 on: October 22, 2008, 10:49:36 AM »

Congrats to George....

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #99 on: October 22, 2008, 10:51:35 AM »

Re: Malls

The one here in FArgo is pretty good and has only a couple of holes. However the one in Moorhead is half empty. Many of the big box stores want to be stand alones or connected to a stripmall.

Malls are hit and miss for me. MOA in the twin cities is WAY too big for me. I do like the Maplewood, Burnsville and Rosedale malls in the twin cities.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #100 on: October 22, 2008, 10:52:42 AM »

We do have some strip malls that have big holes and it depends on what part of town. Northend of town has a lot of probs keeping businesses however those closerto the university seem to be doing better.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #101 on: October 22, 2008, 10:53:26 AM »

Since we are on the topic of Malls.....

BK, what was the first mall you went to?

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #102 on: October 22, 2008, 10:53:56 AM »

btw, all readers are invited to answer along with bk...

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #103 on: October 22, 2008, 10:55:04 AM »

Hello Ann, I hope you are feeling better and Master Toby is doing well...

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #104 on: October 22, 2008, 11:05:34 AM »

HI Dakota!  I'm feeling much better, thank you.  Tobers is still dealing with some spitting up issues, but I think that has more to do with how much milk he's guzzling during a feeding, and how much extra air he's swallowing each time.  He and I have been sleeping upright in a recliner for the last two nights, and it seems to help him.  Hopefully he'll grow out of this soon.

Ginny

« Reply #105 on: October 22, 2008, 11:08:09 AM »

Happiest of birthdays to DR Cason!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DERBRUCER

« Reply #106 on: October 22, 2008, 11:12:29 AM »

The one here in FArgo is pretty good and has only a couple of holes. However the one in Moorhead is half empty. Many of the big box stores want to be stand alones or connected to a stripmall.

Malls are hit and miss for me. MOA in the twin cities is WAY too big for me. I do like the Maplewood, Burnsville and Rosedale malls in the twin cities.

The Mall that Vixmom is talking about is not your usual retail Mall - it is an Outlet Mall that specializes in Brand Name manufacturers (mainly apparel) who have stores that deeply discount their merchandise. They do not have big name Big Box stores, or chain department store anchors. They do not rely on the locals as a major customer base - they depend on "destination shoppers" who will travel for the bargains. We have a major Tanger Outlet Mall here in the Rehoboth area (within walking distance of our house in the woods). The Mall hosts dozens of buses that ferry in out-of-staters for a day of tax-free discount shopping. The Mall has no Cinemas and no restaurants.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #107 on: October 22, 2008, 11:20:10 AM »

HI Dakota!  I'm feeling much better, thank you.  Tobers is still dealing with some spitting up issues, but I think that has more to do with how much milk he's guzzling during a feeding, and how much extra air he's swallowing each time.  He and I have been sleeping upright in a recliner for the last two nights, and it seems to help him.  Hopefully he'll grow out of this soon.

Or he'll get teeth and you'll "grow out of it". ;D

der Brucer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: October 22, 2008, 11:30:29 AM »

First mall - you mean, actual mall type mall would probably have been Topanga Plaza or the Laurel Canyon mall by Oxnard and Laurel Canyon.  First of the really humungous malls would have been the original indoor mall at Sepulveda and Ventura - what the hell was it called - it was famous.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: October 22, 2008, 11:31:27 AM »

Did a very pleasant log jog, and have now shaved and will shortly shower - still awaiting CD delivery - hopefully he'll be here before I leave.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #110 on: October 22, 2008, 11:33:01 AM »

btw, all readers are invited to answer along with bk...

Actually, I can't answer. There were no Malls in my youth - it was all downtown Department Stores. Later on the downtown stores opened suburban venues which ultimately grew into larger shopping centers. I don't think I ran into a classic one-owner mall until I settled in CA in the late sixties.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #111 on: October 22, 2008, 11:39:13 AM »

First mall - you mean, actual mall type mall would probably have been Topanga Plaza or the Laurel Canyon mall by Oxnard and Laurel Canyon.  First of the really humungous malls would have been the original indoor mall at Sepulveda and Ventura - what the hell was it called - it was famous.

Sherman Oaks Galleria - like, the home of the Valley Girls

der Brucer

The original closed in 1999 and a new open air version opened in 2002.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 11:44:15 AM by DERBRUCER »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #112 on: October 22, 2008, 11:51:18 AM »

I'm appalled by malls.

That is all.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #113 on: October 22, 2008, 11:51:55 AM »

I too would love to live in Portland, but alas I am poor and can only afford Salem.

Would you really want the daily commute to work?

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #114 on: October 22, 2008, 11:54:29 AM »

The Mall that Vixmom is talking about is not your usual retail Mall - it is an Outlet Mall that specializes in Brand Name manufacturers (mainly apparel) who have stores that deeply discount their merchandise. They do not have big name Big Box stores, or chain department store anchors. They do not rely on the locals as a major customer base - they depend on "destination shoppers" who will travel for the bargains. We have a major Tanger Outlet Mall here in the Rehoboth area (within walking distance of our house in the woods). The Mall hosts dozens of buses that ferry in out-of-staters for a day of tax-free discount shopping. The Mall has no Cinemas and no restaurants.

der Brucer

Places like that belong off of freeway exits, that do not take traffic through neighborhoods.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #115 on: October 22, 2008, 11:56:46 AM »

I'm appalled by malls.

That is all.

Malls were part of my sinful youth:

der Brucer

Jennifer

« Reply #116 on: October 22, 2008, 12:07:48 PM »

DR Jennifer,

You must not have seen the six episode miniseries THE STARTER WIFE which was the jumping off point for this series. It was moderately entertaining, but I decided I wouldn't invest in the show as a weekly series.

If it was on USA network we don't get that station here.

But they are starting with the tv series (the 2 hour premiere starts tonight on showcase).

When i was watching this week's (here) Saving Grace there was a promo for Starter Wife. It looked interesting. But i did not ever see the mini series.

Jennifer

« Reply #117 on: October 22, 2008, 12:08:54 PM »

On TV Tonight!™

ABC - PUSHING DAISIES, PRIVATE PRACTICE, DIRTY SEXY MONEY
CBS - comedies, CRIMINAL MINDS, CSI: NY
NBC - KNIGHT RIDER, DEAL OR NO DEAL, LIPSTICK JUNGLE
FOX - World Series

The CW also has America's Next Top Model (although i don't get it till sat), and a new show called Stylista (which i will be recording).

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #118 on: October 22, 2008, 12:09:36 PM »

THE ARCH AND THE ARCANE was my favorite sopa opera of the 60's.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

DERBRUCER

« Reply #119 on: October 22, 2008, 12:10:12 PM »

Places like that belong off of freeway exits, that do not take traffic through neighborhoods.

Well, down here there is little choice - there is only one road through town; the Outlet Malls are smack dab on the highway. (I might add that the when the Malls were built, there were no "neighborhoods" (the outlets were built on farmland) - "neighborhoods" came later. The Malls are destination shopping points for folks who bus in from Virginia, DC, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York.
(The low-cost sales-tax free cigarettes are also a big attraction!)

der Brucer
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up