Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: TRICK OR TREAT?  (Read 14959 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: TRICK OR TREAT?
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2008, 08:09:51 AM »

Will we never get to page two?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2008, 08:10:08 AM »

So it is written, so it shall be done - page two.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2008, 08:10:50 AM »

I don't have any specific Halloween tale to relate. I do remember that we walked all over town, not just in our neighborhood, and we were fearless back then. There seemed to be no fear of weirdos snatching us up or putting pins and razor blades in candy. It was all a much more innocent time back then. My parents never locked the doors of their house or cars either. And my dad left the keys over the dash of his car his entire life!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2008, 08:11:50 AM »

I'll be working on ROMAN HOLIDAY today, the second of three classics in Paramount's new Centennial Collection. Again, once I've watched the film, I'll be eager to see how it compares to the original release which I have.

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2008, 08:13:40 AM »

And I got another mother lode of review titles yesterday. Two more from Criterion including their version of THE SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD (I have the previous release and always though it looked just fine). I also got three more TV box sets: STAR TREK - The Original Series, Season 3 in a very elaborate package, HAWAII FIVE-O - Season 5, and the final season of THE ODD COUPLE.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2008, 08:14:49 AM »

Eight o'clock seems to be my new wake up time.

I got up at 8:10 today which is LATE for me. I wish I could sleep to 8 most mornings. It just doesn't happen often.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2008, 08:26:02 AM »

Not only did we walk all over our neighborhood at Halloween, my parents NEVER came with us - it was always just the kids.  Yes, a very different time.

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2008, 08:39:24 AM »

When did various HHWers stop going out for trick-or-treat? I stopped when I got to junior high school (seventh grade). It just didn't seem cool to do it any more.

Of course, there were other things for teenagers to do. My school had sock hops (boy does that AGE me!) for Halloween, and it was a lot of fun dancing in dressed-up socks. There were prizes given for the most creative socks, etc.

Such innocent fun times back then!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 08:41:04 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2008, 08:42:20 AM »

Well, it's time to head downstairs and check the mail. Then, I will start working on fixing something for lunch.

WBBL.

Laura

« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2008, 09:02:11 AM »

I was talking on the phone with one of my favorite people, and two little girls came over to visit. We are going for breakfast.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2008, 09:10:20 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And even though it looks like it's a beautiful Fall day - outside - here in NYC, I think I need another hour or two of down time here at the apartment before I head out.  -I mean, I had heard all the stories and seen all the TV movies about how hard being a parent really is, but... ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2008, 09:18:29 AM »

Ooooohh!!

It turns out my brother, Jay, is not running the marathon tomorrow.  However, his girlfriend is.  Jay would have registered this year, but he wasn't sure if this weekend would have been clear work-wise, so... In the meantime...

I believe he's going to see Avenue Q this afternoon, and then we're all going to get together for some dinner with some other friends somewhere on the Upper East Side (puff-puff).  Should be a good day.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2008, 09:32:15 AM »

As for the Topic(s) of the Day...

Since my brother, Mike, was a Halloween Baby, we always had nice Halloweens when we were kids.  My Mom would host a small birthday party for kids before the trick-or-treating started, and then once everyone was back home, then there would be another party for friends and the "adults".

The are only two Halloween's I specifically remember.  The first one was a cast/Halloween party that I went to when I was playing for the D.C. premiere of Baby - 22 years(!) ago!  Just a great group of people, and my last-minute "crazy doctor" costume really came off well.

And then there was the huge shindig that was held when I was on the road with the bus & truck of Anything Goes - which was eight years ago (another election year).  I guess it was another "cast party", but we had planned it for weeks.  We all started getting into the spirit by playing "Secret Satan" for a few weeks before, and then they had arranged for us to have a costume party in a large hotel suite.  Everyone was costumed - I was "Imelda in Exile" - They took all my shoes!.  Our company manager even convinced the producer to spring for the food and refreshments - and the extra clean-up fee for the hotel.

*Alas, the following morning, we learned that a snow storm was coming in, so instead of having a day off to recover from the night before, we were back on the bus by 10:00am.  -And we managed to miss the 17" of snow!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2008, 09:33:05 AM »

bk - Are you working with "JA"?
Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2008, 09:44:53 AM »

The best, and my favorite, Halloween involved no costumes whatsoever. It was a weekend trip to New York for the precise purpose of seeing Betty Buckley at The Bottom Line.  I hadn't even planned to go until the last minute when I received a personal letter from Ms. Buckley inviting me to come. . .at first, I believed it to be a mail-out from her website, until upon reading it through, it mentioned the night of her concert at Westminster College and the bonding which took place.
As always, Ms. Buckley delivered a great performance and had VarlaJean Merman as a guest star; they even tackled a couple of CARRIE songs. . .and yes, she spotted me in the audience and acknowledged my presence.  Afterwards, she thanked me personally for making the trip to see her. (If you've seen the photo of EvilTwin and I with Betty, it's from that night).
BUT, that was on October 30.
On October 31, I called Rainbow & Stars to see if there were any remaining seats for David Campbell's closing performance (nigh onto the closing of R&S itself).  So I managed to get into the one of the finest cabaret performances I have ever seen.  While David was performing, I enjoyed an Amstel Lite and a huge piece of cheesecake.  This was when David's act included his Mandy Patinkin impression and his near-to-definitive "Waters of March."
Chatted with David after the show, reminded him that I was on the Yahoo group and the one who shared his birthday.  Also had my first encounter with MaryAnn Lopinto. . .Lupinto?  In spite of Ms. L., it was a great evening and the perfect end to a Halloween weekend in NYC.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Ginny

« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2008, 09:45:46 AM »

TOD - Since I spent my childhood in Detroit, my Halloween costumes had to be warm - no gossamer princess outfits for me!  One year, we even had to be prepared for snow, boots and all. 

One of my favorite memories, though, is from the Halloween when DS Rob was just over a year old.  I don't believe in taking babies trick or treating, but he was having such fun greeting the kids at our door and he seemed to "get" what was going on.  We just plopped his Mickey Mouse ears on his head and took him to a few neighbors' houses.

As for candy - it's all about the chocolate.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2008, 09:49:51 AM »

As for Favorite Halloween Candies...

Yes, I've always loved all things chocolates, but I was always fascinated by the chewy, taffy-like candies: Bit-O-Honeys, Mary Janes, Now & Laters, Peanut Chews, etc.  Oh, and Pixie Stix!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2008, 09:53:27 AM »

Hmm.. I've been for a few hours, but haven't had breakfast nor lunch yet.  Guess I should remedy that.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2008, 10:05:39 AM »

Good morning all.  I thought I'd share some pics of Toby's first Halloween.

First, his Halloween theme sleeper.  If you can't tell, it has images of candy corn on it.

MBarnum

« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2008, 10:06:54 AM »

My favorite Halloween memory is from about 1968. I was Casper the Friendly Ghost and I went trick or treating with the Dutch family, The DeGraff's, from across the street. We piled into Mr. DeGraff's Studabaker station wagon and drove over to another neighborhood (there were not many houses on our street). Upon our return I and the two DeGraff girls spread out our loot on the floor to check for razor blades. LOL!

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2008, 10:07:22 AM »

And then, his "bear" costume.  The costume is actually a traveling suit that he wear quite often when it's cold out, but since it had the ears on it, and I'd bought the brown one instead of the blue, it could pass as a costume as well. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2008, 10:07:29 AM »

Back from the long jog and must now do errands.  CUTE BABY!!!

MBarnum

« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2008, 10:07:37 AM »

Oh how great to see a pic of Ann and Baby Toby!

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2008, 10:09:44 AM »

My favorite Halloween memories are from when I was very young.  I remember going as Peter Pan one year, with my best friend David as Captain Hook.  I remember the year we had four inches of snow on the ground, but it didn't stop us.  I was a clown with a wig and a snowsuit on.  We were tough kids back then. 

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2008, 10:15:19 AM »

I do remember the lovely sense of freedom we had.  In a small town before the age of paranoia in parents, we wandered all over the place trick or treating.  No parents waiting in a car at the end of the block, no trick or treating in the mall because it's safe.  They just opened the door and set us loose.  Those were nice times. 

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2008, 10:21:25 AM »

Toby is asleep on my arm.  If I move it, I risk waking him up.  I must move that arm to reach my coffee.  Now I decide how much I really want the coffee... 

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2008, 10:24:53 AM »

I am my own frenzy

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2008, 10:25:12 AM »

I haven't gotten to say that in awhile