Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HANDS OF TIME  (Read 19134 times)

Ginny

Re: THE HANDS OF TIME
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2008, 09:31:00 AM »

Oh, it was sort of like those "Choose your own ending" books!

I'm loving this story and wish I were creative enough to contribute.

Off to a meeting - bye for now.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

singdaw

« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2008, 09:44:00 AM »

E&T DR Rodzinski's latest here...

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2008, 09:47:13 AM »

...Nurse Nightingale."

"Why, my dear Florida Nightingale!" Sherwood exclaimed as he wheeled himself into his office.  "I was just having palpitations thinking about you!"

"Nothing premature, I trust," Nurse Nightingale rose from the visitor's chair, wearing a miniskirt that would have been unseemly on any other eighty-year-old but entrancing on her.

"Oh, no, I've slowed down since my residency."  Sherwood wheeled himself behind his desk, to hide any incriminating stains. 

"I see you had the meatloaf - that splotch of soy-sauce on your pants is a dead giveaway," Florida remarked.  Dang, she was still quick!  "But, enough of these double entendres, Doctor.  You already know your other guest, Pansy Ferrell." 

Doctor Sherwood looked glanced to the corner of the room.  There, indeed, stood Pansy Ferrell, the surviving transexual sister of Tansy Ferrell, (formerly her brother, Buck).  What could Pansy be doing here, he wondered?  "Ah, yes, Miss Ferrell, I'd have spotted those football-shoulderpad shoulders anywhere.  Good to see you again!"

"Good to see you, as well, Doctor, although I wish the circumstances were better," Pansy replied in a voice that would always remind Sherwood of Sam Elliot selling Dodge Trucks or beef or something of that ilk.

"I have something to show you, something you might find to be of great interest."  And, without further adeau, Nurse Florida Nightingale reached into her volumnous purse and withdrew...

...a large fuchsia colored dildo.  But knowing Nurse Florida Nightingale as well as he did, Dr. Sherwood exhibited little in the way of surprise.

"Wipe that ennui off your face, Dr. Strangelove.  This is not your ordinary, run-of-the-mill plaything.  Watch this..."

Nurse Florida Nightingale stood the dildo on its base on a nearby table.  As soon as she did, the rubbery member began to pulsate with life.  It started to bob from side to side.  And then it shimmied.  And soon it was dancing its way about the table top to an unheard rhumba.

"Yessssss, doctor,"  Nurse Florida Nightingale purred, her eyes gleeming with delight.  "It's a dancing dildo!"

Sherwood was suddenly erect (and not in the way you are probably immediately thinking, dear reader!)  His brain was now abuzz with the young lawyer he had just operated on this morning.

He quickly spun his chair about and sped down the hallway to the young lawyer's room.  He burst through the door and to his surprise he found...
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 09:50:43 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2008, 10:20:58 AM »

Just got the news that Dr. Teaford (who Jane will probably remember), my high school choir teacher, passed away on Halloween night - peacefully, in his sleep.  He was in his mid-eighties and was still a dynamo, having monthly music concerts at his home.  For those who've read Kritzer Time, he's all over that book, as Dr. Teesdale.  I went to one of his musical soirees about six years ago and it was lovely and he was very gracious.  He read the first Kritzer book and loved it.

singdaw

« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2008, 10:22:20 AM »

The "new truth" about stretching before exercising.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2008, 10:22:54 AM »

...Nurse Nightingale."

"Why, my dear Florida Nightingale!" Sherwood exclaimed as he wheeled himself into his office.  "I was just having palpitations thinking about you!"

"Nothing premature, I trust," Nurse Nightingale rose from the visitor's chair, wearing a miniskirt that would have been unseemly on any other eighty-year-old but entrancing on her.

"Oh, no, I've slowed down since my residency."  Sherwood wheeled himself behind his desk, to hide any incriminating stains. 

"I see you had the meatloaf - that splotch of soy-sauce on your pants is a dead giveaway," Florida remarked.  Dang, she was still quick!  "But, enough of these double entendres, Doctor.  You already know your other guest, Pansy Ferrell." 

Doctor Sherwood looked glanced to the corner of the room.  There, indeed, stood Pansy Ferrell, the surviving transexual sister of Tansy Ferrell, (formerly her brother, Buck).  What could Pansy be doing here, he wondered?  "Ah, yes, Miss Ferrell, I'd have spotted those football-shoulderpad shoulders anywhere.  Good to see you again!"

"Good to see you, as well, Doctor, although I wish the circumstances were better," Pansy replied in a voice that would always remind Sherwood of Sam Elliot selling Dodge Trucks or beef or something of that ilk.

"I have something to show you, something you might find to be of great interest."  And, without further adeau, Nurse Florida Nightingale reached into her volumnous purse and withdrew...

...a large fuchsia colored dildo.  But knowing Nurse Florida Nightingale as well as he did, Dr. Sherwood exhibited little in the way of surprise.

"Wipe that ennui off your face, Dr. Strangelove.  This is not your ordinary, run-of-the-mill plaything.  Watch this..."

Nurse Florida Nightingale stood the dildo on its base on a nearby table.  As soon as she did, the rubbery member began to pulsate with life.  It started to bob from side to side.  And then it shimmied.  And soon it was dancing its way about the table top to an unheard rhumba.

"Yessssss, doctor,"  Nurse Florida Nightingale purred, her eyes gleeming with delight.  "It's a dancing dildo!"

Sherwood was suddenly erect (and not in the way you are probably immediately thinking, dear reader!)  His brain was now abuzz with the young lawyer he had just operated on this morning.

He quickly spun his chair about and sped down the hallway to the young lawyer's room.  He burst through the door and to his surprise he found...

An accupuncturist, hovering over the still unconcious young lawyer, his left hand armed with a fistfull of needles.  "Stop!  What are you doing?" Sherwood cried.  "And, while we're at it, who are you?"

"I am this young lawyer's accupunturist, isn't that obvious?  My name is Jimmy Shoe, and I am here to help him communicate while he recovers from the surgery I personally didn't approve.  With my assistance, he will be able to send us messages telepathically."

Nurse Florida Nightingale and Pansy Farrell ran into the room, Nurse Nightingale first because she was wearing sensible flats and would have had more practice running in heels anyways.  "Is that a dancing dildo in your hands?" Jimmy Shoe's eyes widened noticeably.

"Why, yes!" Nurse Florida Nightingale breathed excitedly. 

"Quickly, give it to me!" the accupuncturist requested.

"Well, I usually wait until the second date, or at least the second cocktail, but if you insist..."  The nurse handed the dildo to the accupuncturist, who set it upright on the still unconcious young lawyer's side table.  Almost immediately, the dildo began to dance to an exciting new rhythm.

"I recognize that rhythm!" exclaimed Pansy.  "That's Morse Code!  Give me a moment, I think I can translate.  Yes!  Yes!  I know what it's saying!"

"What?" Dr. Sherwood, Nurse Florida Nightingale and Jimmy Shoe asked in unison.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 10:25:34 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2008, 10:30:34 AM »

trying a test of sorts

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2008, 10:31:14 AM »

wow it worked

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2008, 10:51:18 AM »

I can say no more at this time other than I've been very lazy this morning and now it is time for me to get off my ASS and do the long jog.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2008, 10:52:32 AM »

...Nurse Nightingale."

An accupuncturist, hovering over the still unconcious young lawyer, his left hand armed with a fistfull of needles.  "Stop!  What are you doing?" Sherwood cried.  "And, while we're at it, who are you?"

"I am this young lawyer's accupunturist, isn't that obvious?  My name is Jimmy Shoe, and I am here to help him communicate while he recovers from the surgery I personally didn't approve.  With my assistance, he will be able to send us messages telepathically."

Nurse Florida Nightingale and Pansy Farrell ran into the room, Nurse Nightingale first because she was wearing sensible flats and would have had more practice running in heels anyways.  "Is that a dancing dildo in your hands?" Jimmy Shoe's eyes widened noticeably.

"Well, I usually wait until the second date, or at least the second cocktail, but if you insist..."  The nurse handed the dildo to the accupuncturist, who set it upright on the still unconcious young lawyer's side table.  Almost immediately, the dildo began to dance to an exciting new rhythm.

"I recognize that rhythm!" exclaimed Pansy.  "That's Morse Code!  Give me a moment, I think I can translate.  Yes!  Yes!  I know what it's saying!"

"You ding-dongs!" Pansy translated.  "If Tansy Farrell just had a heart transplant from her twin sister who was killed in a mysterious hand mixer accident, then how is it possible for the transplanted heart to have been removed without an incision?  The doctor transplanting the heart would have had to make an incision to put in the new heart!"

"This unconcious young lawyer is right!" Sherwood proclaimed. 

The dildo kept dancing.  "Now what is he saying?

"Enough... with... the... needles... all ready... can't... a... guy... get... some... rest... around... here?"  Pansy finished translating just as the dildo's batteries gave out.

"Doctor, are you thinking what I'm thinking?"  Nurse Florida Nightingale asked Doctor Sherwood.

"Well, if you're thinking that someone has been playing around with the intercom system, and sending false messages, and that Tansy Ferrell is indeed not yet dead, then yes, we are thinking roughly along the same lines," Sherwood replied.  "Which means that we must find whoever it is that is playing with the intercom system, and find Tansy Ferrell, before it is too late!"

"Too late for what, Doctor?" Pansy asked.  "And, if I might also ask, why exactly were you scheduled to operate on my sister?  She's already had the transplant, why would she need another operation?"

"Well...." Doctor Sherwood realized that he was going to have to spill the beans.

"Yes, Doctor!" chimed in Nurse Florida Nightingale.  "We're waiting!"
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2008, 10:54:53 AM »

OK, I know, I should have let someone else post in between my story contributions, but there was a plot hole that I realized needed clearing up.  So sue me.  Get that unconsious young lawyer to draw up the papers.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2008, 11:19:03 AM »

Ahh.....well if he likes HAMLET....he can find HENRY V on his own.

And MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is also sterling!

I much prefer this MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING to Kenneth Branagh's.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2008, 11:26:51 AM »

I believe the talented Mr. Peter Link wrote the score to that MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING.  His setting "Sigh No More Lady" is one of my all-time 50 favorite songs.  (I don't know what the other 49 are, but that's definitely in the top 50.  :) )

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2008, 11:27:40 AM »

I much prefer this MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING to Kenneth Branagh's.

Ah, yes, my first Ado!  But, since the Jeff I'm loaning DVDs to is not a Shakespeare fan, I think Branagh's visuals would be more to his liking.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2008, 11:37:07 AM »

Good morning, all! I've got a few hours at Toyland and then a trip to physical therapy. After that, it's back to Frank Losser. My gal is to get through most of Act one by the beginning of next week.

Last night I began watching the BBC series CRANFORD based on Elizabeth Gaskell's novels and it's quite wonderful with some great actresses - Eileen Atkins, Judi Dench, Francesca Annis, Imelda Staunton, Julia McKenzie, Julia Sawalha - giving amazing performances. I think it's quite wonderful and the 1842 costumes and sets are glorious. A lot of the plot seems to settle on the conflict of village life as it always has been and the encroaching modern world, rather like FIDDLER ON THE ROOF without the pogroms. I liked Francesca Annis' haughty Lady Ludlow and her refusal to employ as servants girls who were able to read or write since they should be kept in their station and the conflict with the older and younger doctors on the theories of bone setting and amputation.

Elmore, I am contemplating ordering the dvds of that series. It is amazing... great acting and story telling, beautiful costuming... Enjoy!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #75 on: November 03, 2008, 11:38:19 AM »

Good day one and all!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #76 on: November 03, 2008, 11:38:49 AM »

Did anyone hear about the two radio disc jockeys from Montreal who PUNKED Sarah Palin.

"on 01 november 2008, a couple of canadian disk jockeys, sébastien trudel and marc-antoine audette who call themselves the 'masked avengers' on montreal's ckoi-fm 96.9, prank called 2008 republican vice-presidential nominee sarah palin.

in the call they pretended to be french president nicholas sarkozy."

Didn't she remember that on his recent trip to the USA that is was announced that he didn't speak English"

Here is the Punk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6QpnaypCe4

I saw that the other night... Gotta love dem Canadians :)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #77 on: November 03, 2008, 11:39:10 AM »

I find it most unseemly that Pansy's storyline has been dropped, despite it clearly having been posted before Nurse Nightingale's.  I would storm off in a huff (or perhaps a minute and a huff), but that's been done in extremis here, so I will muddle through somehow.  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #78 on: November 03, 2008, 11:40:42 AM »

SWW both are very good ... Love the bard!

BBC has always done various programs quite well.

I am luke warm to Gibson's approach to Hamlet.

Michael

« Reply #79 on: November 03, 2008, 11:41:26 AM »

For BK or anyone else who knows about Books

Does a book have to say "First Edition" to be a first edition or as long as it is the first printing is it considered a first edition?
Never stop dreaming.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #80 on: November 03, 2008, 11:43:34 AM »

My being a Whovian is beginning to reap a few rewards.

I am guilty guilty guilty of having loaned our Doctor Who DVDs to Jeff, a very nice fellow who works in the deli at the store.  What Jeff had originally wanted was to borrow our Torchwood DVDs, because he thinks John Barrowman is hot, but I insisted that Jeff would appreciate Torchwood more if he watched the first two seasons of Doctor Who first, in order to get the show's context right.

I have, of course, made a convert.  Jeff now loves loves loves Doctor Who (and thinks Torchwood isn't quite as good).

Which brings us to the rewards.

Jeff has started loaning us discs.  Specifically, he's loaned us his copy of a film by Julie Taymor, Across the Universe.  The film didn't do too well at the box office, and I had my doubts - one more film using Beatles songs for the jukebox score, with all the names of course springing from names used in Beatles songs, and a story about the revolutionary '60s?  Hasn't this been done before?  No, Jeff said, give it a try.

So we did.

And it proved to be a lot better than my expectations had allowed.  It is visually stunning, which I had expected (this is a Taymor film, after all).  What I hadn't expected were well-drawn characters who had at least a couple of toes planted in reality.  Nor had I expected Taymor to say "Bullshit" to some of the left-wing ideology that permeated the 60s - instead, she took the song "Revolution" to heart and followed a more moderate path.

We also discovered something I hadn't realized about der Brucer and myself - I'm far more aware of the Beatles ouvre than he is.  "What's that song, I've never heard it before?" was something he said more than twice.  And there were spoken quotes, like "She came in through the bathroom window," that had me howling with laughter but just got a blank look from him.

We may have to invest in a few Beetles albums, just to get him up to speed.

Anyway, back to the film.  Is it perfect?  No.  But it's far better than Hairspray, far more intelligent and respectful of the intelligence of it's audience.

Maybe that's why it didn't do too well at the box office.  Respect just doesn't get the respect it used to get nowadays.

(I'm thinking of insisting that Jeff, who doesn't like Shakespeare, give Branaugh's Hamlet a try.)

a bit of trivia here for ya SWW...

Did you know there is a stock film clip of the Beatles in a Doctor Who story?

It is in the run of hte first doctor, William Hartnell and in the story "Unearthly child' or the Chase I believe.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #81 on: November 03, 2008, 11:48:27 AM »

The Who clip of the Beetles is in The Chase.

Pansy has not been dropped - she's right there, translating Morse Code and waiting for somebody to pick up on why she's there (and I'm certain she's there for a reason, and probably knows a lot more than anyone else and can therefor do tons of exposition!)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #82 on: November 03, 2008, 11:50:16 AM »

Der B has shopping for us to do.  I shall return!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: November 03, 2008, 12:18:07 PM »

For BK or anyone else who knows about Books

Does a book have to say "First Edition" to be a first edition or as long as it is the first printing is it considered a first edition?

Each publisher does it differently.  Some say first edition, some say first edition and also have a number line which, if it's a true first, must end in "1" - some older books don't say anything - it requires research depending on the publisher.  If you have a specific question, I can probably answer it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: November 03, 2008, 12:23:47 PM »

...Nurse Nightingale."

"You ding-dongs!" Pansy translated.  "If Tansy Farrell just had a heart transplant from her twin sister who was killed in a mysterious hand mixer accident, then how is it possible for the transplanted heart to have been removed without an incision?  The doctor transplanting the heart would have had to make an incision to put in the new heart!"

"This unconcious young lawyer is right!" Sherwood proclaimed. 

The dildo kept dancing.  "Now what is he saying?

"Enough... with... the... needles... all ready... can't... a... guy... get... some... rest... around... here?"  Pansy finished translating just as the dildo's batteries gave out.

"Doctor, are you thinking what I'm thinking?"  Nurse Florida Nightingale asked Doctor Sherwood.

"Well, if you're thinking that someone has been playing around with the intercom system, and sending false messages, and that Tansy Ferrell is indeed not yet dead, then yes, we are thinking roughly along the same lines," Sherwood replied.  "Which means that we must find whoever it is that is playing with the intercom system, and find Tansy Ferrell, before it is too late!"

"Too late for what, Doctor?" Pansy asked.  "And, if I might also ask, why exactly were you scheduled to operate on my sister?  She's already had the transplant, why would she need another operation?"

"Well...." Doctor Sherwood realized that he was going to have to spill the beans.

"Yes, Doctor!" chimed in Nurse Florida Nightingale.  "We're waiting!"

"I'm afraid you'll have to keep waiting," said Dr. Sherwood.  "As you know, I have surgery in twelve minutes and I must go."

Dr. Sherwood wheeled himself out of the room, chuckling to himself as he did so. 

"Now what?" asked Pansy.  "This is a fine kettle of fish."

But just then, Adcock Fleming walked into the office.  Adcock was a commanding 6'5" and had a full head of bushy hair.  The room went silent.  That always happened when Adcock Fleming walked into a room.  He looked at everyone and said, "

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #85 on: November 03, 2008, 12:24:34 PM »

DR Jose, Maria is beautiful, how does one look that good after running a marathon.

DR Cilla, adorable photos.

DR Michael S-How cold is it in Montreal?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: November 03, 2008, 12:24:39 PM »

Back from the long jog and shall now go ship a few packages, check my mail place, get something amusing to eat, and then return.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: November 03, 2008, 12:25:01 PM »

Jane did you read my post?

Jane

« Reply #88 on: November 03, 2008, 12:32:31 PM »

Just got the news that Dr. Teaford (who Jane will probably remember), my high school choir teacher, passed away on Halloween night - peacefully, in his sleep.  He was in his mid-eighties and was still a dynamo, having monthly music concerts at his home.  For those who've read Kritzer Time, he's all over that book, as Dr. Teesdale.  I went to one of his musical soirees about six years ago and it was lovely and he was very gracious.  He read the first Kritzer book and loved it.

I did not no him personally but only heard good things about him.  I will share the sad news with my classmates (our class has a very large email list & keeps connected).

Jane

« Reply #89 on: November 03, 2008, 12:32:48 PM »

Bruce I was typing as you were posting.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up