Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: COMPLETE FEET  (Read 16917 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: COMPLETE FEET
« Reply #150 on: November 15, 2008, 03:21:32 PM »

DR Cilla I had to look up the definition for "floating floor" & found it is an installation method.  Now I understand the concept, have you decided on the material you will use?

Danise

« Reply #151 on: November 15, 2008, 03:22:31 PM »

Hi all.

Well, I guess the big news is:  No new doggie for me.

The adoption fair was soooo crowded and while there were nice dogs and kitties there, none really won my heart enough to bring home. 

I guess that was because it was mostly very small dogs--which is what most people want and I guess are the most adoptable.  I think that was a mistake because one person I was talking to was looking for a Dane and I overheard several people asking, "Where are the BIG dogs?"

I went to the pound since that isn't all that far away and saw one dog I kinda liked that looked like it could be one of Sheena's brothers.   

There was a St. Bernard and I would have taken him in a heartbeat but I didn't think it would be fair to him since I don't have AC.  And there was a dog like DD Sherlock.  I considered him but again, thought he would really need ac. 

I think a short haired dog would be best for me. 

Sigh.  But there isn't a rush.  I want to do what is best for all--Sheena, the new dog (if there is to even to be one) and me. 
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #152 on: November 15, 2008, 03:26:38 PM »

I did, however, get a turkey.  ;) 

The Little Butterballs are always gone and/or picked over by the time Thanksgiving comes around so I try to get mine early.  He's only 7.5 lbs so he is the perfect size for me. 
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Laura

« Reply #153 on: November 15, 2008, 03:28:19 PM »

I'm not so sure a small turkey will make a good playmate for Sheena, but whatever you think is best...
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Jane

« Reply #154 on: November 15, 2008, 03:31:32 PM »

DR Danise, as you said there isn't any rush. 

Last night we watched a very interesting Dog Whisperer.  A woman & her son had lost one of their dogs & decided it was time to get their remaining dog a companion.  Cesar showed up with multiple (too small in my opinion) dogs.  The son picked one & the mother picked one so those were the only two tested.  The dog the boy liked was definitely not the right dog to live with their family.

I wonder if you can call the Humane Society or other rescue groups near you & find out if they offer this sort of service.  I remember all the problems when you first took Sheena home.  Finding a good dog fit for her might not be so easy.

Danise

« Reply #155 on: November 15, 2008, 03:34:27 PM »

Well, I'm going to head out and look at some doggies.  Maybe I'll be posting a photo of a new member of the family by tonight.

No promises.  :)

Speaking of pets, are there any cat people among us?  Maybe a cat psychiatrist?

If so, have you ever had a situation like this?

I have this weird female cat, "Annie".  She's around 13 years old and has always had a sweet personality.

About 6-7 months ago, we had to put her life-long companion to sleep.  Cancer and kidney failure.

Since then, Annie's personality has changed.  She has become much more demanding.

In fact, if you ignore her, she "hits" you.  She's done this to me and to our dog, who she's lived with all of her life.

Other times, she can be very cuddly. 

Do I now have a cat version of Dr, Jekyll and Mr. Hyde?

???

It could be grief.  Just pure and simple mourning for her  life-long companion.

That's how I got Sheena.  Bear was mourning the loss of Brandi and it went on for months.  That's when he started licking his paw until it because so raw and bloody  I had to take him to the vet.  She was the one that told me he needed a new friend to take his mind off of his loss (and his paw).
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #156 on: November 15, 2008, 03:34:49 PM »

I'm not so sure a small turkey will make a good playmate for Sheena, but whatever you think is best...
  :)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #157 on: November 15, 2008, 03:38:05 PM »

TOD:   I loved Dolly Parton's guest shot on "Designing Women" when she played God.

I also thought Lew Ayres and Nanette Fabray were perfect as Mary Richards' parents.

Likewise for Eva Marie Saint and Robert Webber as Maddie Hayes' parents on "Moonlighting."

Eileen Heckhart did a great a guest shot as a hard-boiled author on the short-lived Ellen Burstyn show.  Imagine one show that had Elaine Stritch, Eileen Heckhart and Ellen Burstyn in it.

Tops is still of course Suzanne Pleshette's suprise guest shot on the final episode of "Newhart."

I am hard pressed to think of anything before the mid-1970s

THe only one I can think of off hand was a guest appearance of Desi Arnaz, Jr. on Brady Bunch.....

Flatt and Scruggs on BEverly Hillbillies and saw both of them in reruns in the late 70s.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #158 on: November 15, 2008, 03:38:38 PM »

TOD

I know this doesn't follow the guidelines. And I had to look up the actresses name but.....

Beah Richards in "The First Day of the Last Decade of the Entire Twentieth Century" episode of Designing Women.  It takes place in a hospital. She plays a dying 102-year-old black woman who tells them of her life experience as a woman of color in the South. She gives a beautiful performance. Using her face and voice to tell her story. She should have been nominated for an Emmy Award but wasn't.

She should have been nominated for almost everything she did.

she was a remarkable actress....
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #159 on: November 15, 2008, 03:39:07 PM »

I have more of a memory from the 1980s and 90s

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #160 on: November 15, 2008, 03:39:57 PM »

I watched two STAR TREK episodes. THis afternoon. The remastered shows are sharp, the optical effects are now super clean, and the color is very rich. The repurposed sound is still anemic. They are Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks but still basically mono.

I will let DF know about the Star Trek release... He is a fan of the original series, I prefer TNG.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #161 on: November 15, 2008, 03:41:40 PM »

This pic brings back memories.... I remember when vinyls and cassettes were all the rage in the record stores....

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #162 on: November 15, 2008, 03:44:34 PM »

I think Sheena might look at the turkey rather quizzically

Danise

« Reply #163 on: November 15, 2008, 03:44:40 PM »

DR Danise, as you said there isn't any rush. 

Last night we watched a very interesting Dog Whisperer.  A woman & her son had lost one of their dogs & decided it was time to get their remaining dog a companion.  Cesar showed up with multiple (too small in my opinion) dogs.  The son picked one & the mother picked one so those were the only two tested.  The dog the boy liked was definitely not the right dog to live with their family.

I wonder if you can call the Humane Society or other rescue groups near you & find out if they offer this sort of service.  I remember all the problems when you first took Sheena home.  Finding a good dog fit for her might not be so easy.

I saw that episode awhile back.  I agree that the dogs that were picked were to small.

I'm also considering that Sheena might just need to be "only" dog.  It's just I feel bad about her being home alone all day. 

You know, I don't remember having dog/cat issues when I was growing up.  When we lived on the five acres, we had a pack of dogs/cats etc and if Dad found a new animal, into the mix it went.  There was no question, "Will so and so get along with the others"  They just all got along.  I don't remember any fights.

What's wrong with the animals these days, gee.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #164 on: November 15, 2008, 03:44:49 PM »

Back from the wedding and reception.  It was beautiful. 

When the minister said, "By the power invested in me by the State of Connecticut, I now pronounce you...married," the packed church of 700 stood, clapping and cheering, and I wept profusely.

My friends have been a couple for 35 years.  What had been planned six months ago as a small, simple "commitment ceremony" grew into a huge marriage celebration, aided by good timing and the ruling of Connecticut's Supreme Court.

It was a good day.    :)

Great story, DR singdaw!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Danise

« Reply #165 on: November 15, 2008, 03:47:38 PM »

Congrats on the BIG check, DR Elmore!   
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #166 on: November 15, 2008, 03:48:47 PM »

Safety vibes to all those in California...

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #167 on: November 15, 2008, 03:49:34 PM »

http://www.messybeast.com/cat-grief.htm

DR Druxy, Sounds like your cat may be grieving the loss of her companion.  Here's one article I found. I would do your best to give her attention and reinforce good behavior - ie don't reinforce howling in the night by giving food or attention.

I would use the cat dancer toy or other interactive type toy for even 10 minutes or so before you go to bed.  When my cats are wound up or acting up, that really does do the trick

Excellent article.  Thank you for sharing it.

I went out today and bought her a couple of catnip toys to see if that helps.

Part of the problem is that I made a mistake right after the other cat died 6 months ago.  I felt so sorry for Annie that I started letting her sleep in our bedroom.  Now, she wakes me up every morning around 5-5:30 to feed her.

If I try to keep her out of the bedroom, she sits by the door all night and howls.

:-\

Do you always get up when she howls at 5:30 or 6:00 AM?  Boo started doing that at about 3:00 AM not too long ago. The first night I got up because I thought something was wrong.  I discovered her standing by her Cat Dancer waiting to play.  After that I just ignored her and tried to go back to sleep. She did it for a couple more nights and then stopped. 

Having given that article some thought, I think that the thing between her and the dog is "territorial".  Annie, after several months, has now come to realize that she is the top (i.e. only) cat, and she has decided to take over.

She's like a feline version of Edward G. Robinson in LITTLE CAESAR: 'I'm taking over here, see!  NYAHHH" 

Or should it be "MEOW"?

:)
You can dream…or you can do.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #168 on: November 15, 2008, 03:49:54 PM »

Congrats on Elmore getting a big check!

Laura

« Reply #169 on: November 15, 2008, 03:50:15 PM »

I am happy that the wedding went well.  :)
"That's a lotta hamsters."

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #170 on: November 15, 2008, 03:50:56 PM »

Danise, Dolly Parton was fun to watch on that show. I enjoyed Designing Women.

Danise

« Reply #171 on: November 15, 2008, 03:50:59 PM »

DR Vixmom and Vixter, you know that I'm here for you both.  You have my phone number and my email address.  Call/email me when ever you want.

Even if I'm at work.  I'll just tell my boss I have a family matter that needs to taken care of.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #172 on: November 15, 2008, 03:51:53 PM »

Thank you, DR Danise! It's not nearly as big as the one I hope to get when we sell the rest of the 3.5 acres. I think this sale was about 1/5th of an acre. It will allow me to accomplish some things I want to do. pay off everyone I owe money to, and put a bit away.  I'd like to win the lottery when it's big, invest in some recordings I'd like to see accomplished, and allow me to help all of my friends out.

It's something nice to wish for, anyway!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 03:57:06 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Danise

« Reply #173 on: November 15, 2008, 03:55:25 PM »

I am up - barely!  (TMI)

I will try and avoid going to the hospital today.  According to Mark, Stan was totally incoherent last night, which makes me feel better.  By that I mean that apparently he had no idea who I was yesterday, as opposed to being angry with me.

Even knowing that it is hard to not feel hurt.  I hope Stan is coherent today.

Take care of yourself & feel better soon.

I also hope Stan is coherent and knows that someone who cares for him is nearby. 

You take care as well, DR TCB.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #174 on: November 15, 2008, 03:55:31 PM »

Well, I'm going to head out and look at some doggies.  Maybe I'll be posting a photo of a new member of the family by tonight.

No promises.  :)

Speaking of pets, are there any cat people among us?  Maybe a cat psychiatrist?

If so, have you ever had a situation like this?

I have this weird female cat, "Annie".  She's around 13 years old and has always had a sweet personality.

About 6-7 months ago, we had to put her life-long companion to sleep.  Cancer and kidney failure.

Since then, Annie's personality has changed.  She has become much more demanding.

In fact, if you ignore her, she "hits" you.  She's done this to me and to our dog, who she's lived with all of her life.

Other times, she can be very cuddly. 

Do I now have a cat version of Dr, Jekyll and Mr. Hyde?

???

It could be grief.  Just pure and simple mourning for her  life-long companion.

That's how I got Sheena.  Bear was mourning the loss of Brandi and it went on for months.  That's when he started licking his paw until it because so raw and bloody  I had to take him to the vet.  She was the one that told me he needed a new friend to take his mind off of his loss (and his paw).

I've thought of getting her a new friend, but since we are moving to Texas next March, now is not the time to get a new animal in the house.  [We also have 2 dogs.]

I'm still not sure how we're going to move Annie across country.
You can dream…or you can do.

Danise

« Reply #175 on: November 15, 2008, 03:57:45 PM »

Thank you, DR Danise! It's not nearly as big as the one I hope to get when we sell the rest of the 3.5 acres. I think this sale was about 1/5th of an acre. It will allow me to accomplish some things I want to do. pay off veryone I owe money to, and put a bit away.  I'd like to win the lottery when it's big, invest in some recordings I'd like to see accomplished, and allow me to help all of my friends out.

It's something nice to wish for, anyway!

Did I tell you that when I was in Pittsburgh I bought a lotto ticket for one of their games.  I told the guy who sold it to me that I was tired of all the yankees coming down to Florida and winning my jackpots and that it would only be fair for him to sell me a winning ticket so I could take some of THEIR money. 

Alas, I still didn't win.  Oh well.  One can but hope.  :)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #176 on: November 15, 2008, 03:59:33 PM »

Danise, Dolly Parton was fun to watch on that show. I enjoyed Designing Women.

I can't say I saw that show.  I do remember Dolly playing an angel in some movie whose name escapes me.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #177 on: November 15, 2008, 04:09:57 PM »

Back from the wedding and reception.  It was beautiful. 

When the minister said, "By the power invested in me by the State of Connecticut, I now pronounce you...married," the packed church of 700 stood, clapping and cheering, and I wept profusely.

My friends have been a couple for 35 years.  What had been planned six months ago as a small, simple "commitment ceremony" grew into a huge marriage celebration, aided by good timing and the ruling of Connecticut's Supreme Court.

It was a good day.    :)

It sounds like it was a wonderful day.  I'm happy for your friends and wish them every happiness.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jane

« Reply #178 on: November 15, 2008, 04:27:27 PM »

DR Druxy, introducing a new cat to Annie could be more complicated than introducing a new dog to the dogs.  You are wise to wait until after the move, which could solve the problem.  I have found moving sometimes changes a few habits.

We have moved multiple cats around the country. 

My first tip, NEVER open the car door unless the cat is in the carrier.  I assure you that was not a fun activity with 4 cats in the car.

How is Annie in the car?  Maybe you can take her for short rides to let her know the car doesn't mean going to the vet.  On the whole, most of our cats did fine.  Many cried the first hour or several hours & then were fine.  Many were fine right from the start.  Two of our cats needed mild tranquilizers the first day (test the dosage at home if you think it is needed).   We made sure there was plenty of water for them to drink during the trip, & that the two nervous cats drank it so they didn’t become dehydrated. 

While the doors were shut & the car was moving we let the cats out of their carriers.  You might want to microchip Annie and/or put a collar with a tag on her.

Oh, don’t forget to take all the pet & people medical records.   
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 04:29:50 PM by Jane »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #179 on: November 15, 2008, 04:35:41 PM »

On THE REAL HOUSEWIVES OF ATLANTA, this blonde twit Kim who thinks she's a singer is the Florence Foster Jenkins of country music, completely clueless, totally tone deaf, and carrying a megalomaniac ego supported by no talent. She's so pathetic it's hysterical. If she were fat and wanted to wave a baton, she could the Fat Conductor of Limited Talent and Limitless Ego a real run for his money!

Watching this "important" vocal coach try to tell her all of that without being cruel is quite a hoot.  And her response only showed what a fool she is.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 04:42:40 PM by elmore3003 »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up