Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: NOBODY DOES IT BETTER  (Read 26325 times)

singdaw

Re: NOBODY DOES IT BETTER
« Reply #90 on: November 19, 2008, 07:57:06 AM »

I thought the timing was odd.

Well, his skin was pale, and his eye was odd.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #91 on: November 19, 2008, 07:57:08 AM »

But I will certainly agree that SABRINA original is miles ahead of the remake.

And of course we have the controversy of Edith Head accepting the Oscar for clothes the Hubert Givenchy designed.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #92 on: November 19, 2008, 07:57:15 AM »

Bogart and Holden as brothers.....I couldn't get past it.....

You might have told me Holden and Mickey Rooney were brothers, too.....

I feel the same way about the Quaids.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #93 on: November 19, 2008, 07:57:52 AM »

I'm planning to get a large screen HDTV TV when I move to Texas in March

Because everything in Texas is large?      ;)

Actually, I have a 50" now.  Thought I might go up to 52".

[Boy, did I leave myself open on that one.]

:D

With that sized screen, you most definitely see a difference between DVD and Blu-ray. And not just in sharpness either. But the depth and richness of color is enhanced because of the wider spectrum offered by Blu-ray/1080p transfers.

The first thing I did when I got mine was compare the DVD and the Blu-ray of THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA. Absolutely no comparison in sharpness and breadth of color saturation without the noisy colors of the DVD. CHICAGO offered a richness and crispness in black levels that left the DVD far behind.

And that added sense of dimensionality offered by tripling the resolution makes going back to DVDs very hard indeed.

Matt,

If I get a flat 52" HDTV, how will my regular DVDs look on it...with/without a Blu-Ray?

Thanks.

What kind of regular DVD player are you using with it? Is it connected with the component (red-blue-green) cables or an HDMI connection (which is far better to display digital pictures on a digital set. It's a digital cable while component cable signals are analog and require an extra level of processing inside your TV which sometimes results in a slightly softer picture and aren't capable of upconversion.)

A Blu-ray player will also upconvert regular DVDs to match the HD resolution of your set. You can buy upconverting regular DVD players, too, but why not get a Blu-ray that can play both regular DVDs upconverted AND 1080p Blu-ray discs?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #94 on: November 19, 2008, 08:02:07 AM »

I guess I'll be watching THE SHIELD while I cook and eat lunch today. I may have time later today for THE MENTALIST, but I'm not sure.

singdaw

« Reply #95 on: November 19, 2008, 08:20:38 AM »

Matt H.

« Reply #96 on: November 19, 2008, 08:22:34 AM »

Has he ever won this before? But how nice to be timed with the imminent release of AUSTRALIA! 

::)

Matt H.

« Reply #97 on: November 19, 2008, 08:23:54 AM »

I guess I'll head down now to check the mail and then think about what's for lunch.

WBBL.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #98 on: November 19, 2008, 08:28:08 AM »

My question for ASK BK day:

Have you ever been on a television quiz/game show?  How did it go?  Did you win any prizes?

OR

What current television game show would you like to be on.....

The closest I came to appearing on a game show was auditioning for The Dating Game.  I have no idea what game shows are even on TV these days.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: November 19, 2008, 08:29:23 AM »

ASK BK

When someone recognizes and ask "Weren't you in........"
What movie or tv show do they usually say?

They usually don't say a title - they just know the face and ask "what have I seen you in?"  Usually I just say that I was in a lot of 70s TV shows and I name a few. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: November 19, 2008, 08:30:38 AM »

TOD: bk, what is your take on Heaven's Gate (I was reading an article about it the other day and what it did to Cimino's career and United Artists)

I know it's become somewhat fashionable to now like the film or think of it as a misunderstood masterpiece, but I find it dreadful in just about every way.  I've watched it twice (full-length version) and hated it both times.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: November 19, 2008, 08:35:02 AM »

I forgot to mention the transfer of Wall-E - one of the best-looking DVDs ever.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: November 19, 2008, 08:35:30 AM »

Good morning, good day, how are you this beautiful day?  I am up.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #103 on: November 19, 2008, 08:41:07 AM »

I've caught up with yesterday's posts!

Dr Laura:  I like Jrand's idea of naming the once-feral kitty (cutie) Perry...but will take a tip from Jane and suggest the spelling be "Perri".

DR MBarnum:  Should you marry your friend's girlfriend who loves Bollywood, and should I be so fortunate as to be considered as a prospective attendee of the nuptials, I hereby declare that with DR JoseSPiano wearing a kurta and sari, I shall promise to dance the hora and do the hokey pokey.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #104 on: November 19, 2008, 08:42:21 AM »

It won't be a pretty sight, but I'll do it.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #105 on: November 19, 2008, 08:43:07 AM »

DR singdaw:  A 3 (count 'em THREE)-CD set?  That's pretty advanced home video-ing!  :D

MBarnum

« Reply #106 on: November 19, 2008, 08:46:30 AM »

A most wonderful birthday wish to a most wonderful guy, ODR Jason!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #107 on: November 19, 2008, 08:49:17 AM »

I think SABRINA is enchanting except for Bogart who just seems miscast in a romantic comedy, at least at this stage in his career.

According to reference books I had here, Bogart loathed William Holden, too. I think he generally made life on the set miserable for many. Maybe his health was working against him. I don't think he looks especially well in the movie to be honest.

What really works in his favor, though, is that he is the exact opposite of Holden in temperament.  I really "felt" that he had been groomed/trained/molded into the heir of his family business.  Holden's character was the outsider....much like the disparity between Queen Elizabeth II and her sister Princess Margaret Rose.  One was staid/stiff/somber while the other was a playgirl.  It hardly seemed feasible, but it was there.

Bogart's Linus seemed tolerant but resentful of his younger brother.  Many families have these personality disparities among siblings.  One is outgoing and easily attracts friends in youth...and sometimes falls into disrepute in adulthood.  Another is responsible, toes the line and studies hard.  This one succeeds, but he may not always appear happy or may not be happy.   

I approach this as having been unaware of any "set" problems on this film.  I don't know if Bogart ever had a "process", but I find myself wondering if perhaps his approach here was to deliberately create this tension to  aid/abet his character development. 

Re:  Hepburn.  I imagine she was surrounded by a coterie of people attending to her (having recently won the Oscar).  Remember that he and Kate Hepburn had gotten along famously doing "The African Queen".  Kate was no-nonsense, no-fuss, down-to-earth and temperamentally suited to be the match of any man against whom she was cast.  Audrey seemingly charmed most of her leading men into total adoration of her.  There's something "not told" in all of this.  I suspect only Lauren Bacall, herself, could shed any light on it.

That said, having seen Hepburn with so many "older" actors in her career, Bogart did not seem nearly as odd/strange/or ludicrous to me as did Cooper in "Love in the Afternoon."
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 09:39:52 AM by Ron Pulliam »

singdaw

« Reply #108 on: November 19, 2008, 08:50:05 AM »

Mrs. Buckingham always sends the best cards!

singdaw

« Reply #109 on: November 19, 2008, 08:50:55 AM »

Spooo.

I forgot that DR DtM is back.  I can't steal his gag anymore.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #110 on: November 19, 2008, 08:51:58 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I'm still in my (new) flannel pj's.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

singdaw

« Reply #111 on: November 19, 2008, 08:55:02 AM »

For viewers of TAR, this nugget in Seth Rudetsky's column this week:

Nick is currently on TV's "The Amazing Race" with his sister, and I asked him what filming it was like. He said that he didn't want the other contestants to know that he was an actor because he thought that they'd assume he was always putting on a façade, so he told people that he was going into his father's business as a funeral director. Unfortunately, unbeknownst to him, right after he told everybody, they went to an airport computer station and googled him, which led right to his acting website. For the rest of the trip, he kept up the façade that he was in the funeral business not knowing that they were keeping up the façade that they believed him. His version of not wanting to appear deceitful set him up to look ten times more deceitful. Excellent work!

singdaw

« Reply #112 on: November 19, 2008, 09:03:39 AM »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #113 on: November 19, 2008, 09:04:54 AM »

Hmm...

Catherine McPhee was just singing on "The View".  She was singing "Somewhere" (from West Side Story).  David Foster was accompanying her on piano - along with a click-track of the rest of the orchestra.  They were performing the arrangement of "Somewhere" that he had written for Barbra Streisand's "Broadway Album".  Thankfully, Ms. McPhee did not totally ape Ms. Streisand's version, however, I just found the whole set-up a little weird.

*Although, Kiri Te Kanawa used to use the same arrangement in concert too, so... ???
Make Your Own Luck.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #114 on: November 19, 2008, 09:10:21 AM »

Bogart and Holden as brothers.....I couldn't get past it.....

You might have told me Holden and Mickey Rooney were brothers, too.....

Your "Mickey Rooney" comment reminds me of something that Dore Schary said to me when I interviewed him years ago for my book on movie sequels.

Orginally, MGM had considered making YOUNG TOM EDISON w/Mickey Rooney and EDISON, THE MAN w/Spencer Tracy as one long movie.  Said Schary: "Rooney would play the boy, then we'd dissolve and Tracy would be the adult. 

"It didn't take us long to realize that such an optical effect would produce the biggest laugh in the history of movies, so we decided to divide the project in half."
You can dream…or you can do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #115 on: November 19, 2008, 09:13:16 AM »

And speaking of "Wall-E"...

MoMa will be screening the film tonight and Friday as part of their film series/exhibition, The Contenders.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #116 on: November 19, 2008, 09:14:41 AM »

Awww...

They just announced the passing of long time NY Times' critic, Clive Barnes.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #117 on: November 19, 2008, 09:21:31 AM »

And of possible interest to a couple of DRs...

To Save and Project: The Sixth MoMA International Festival of Film Preservation

This year's exhibitions/screenings have just ended, but they had a great line-up of films.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #118 on: November 19, 2008, 09:22:14 AM »

Oy! This STUDENT PRINCE medley will be the death of me: the singer took too long makingup his mind, and the copyist and I had to juggle other jobs to finish our work. Now, the orchestra doingit with the singer wants it yesterday and I got the proofcopy yeaterday without the chorus parts and many problems since it needed to be proofed. So, I spent most of yesterday proofing it and gave my corrections via phone last night before stepping out. This morning i got the finished copy, with most of the errors corrected but still one section completely missing the harp and celesta parts, 12 bars of errors still in the viola part, and the iformation that he'd printed out the orchestra parts and sent them off! This is not acceptable. I sent my corrections just now with a terse, I DON'T CARE IF IT'S GETTING THERE LATER THAN THEY LIKE; I WILL NOT RELEASE A CHART I HAVEN'T FOUND READY TO GO.

Why do it once when you can do it again?

Oh, and the chorus parts, which appear to be okay, don't reflect in the score the changes to the solko tenor part.  and on it goes . . .  This copyist is good, and I blame the tenor for taking too long to decide on things, but I don't need him losing work because there are too many errors in the charts he sends out.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: November 19, 2008, 09:24:09 AM »

Hmm...

Catherine McPhee was just singing on "The View".  She was singing "Somewhere" (from West Side Story).  David Foster was accompanying her on piano - along with a click-track of the rest of the orchestra.  They were performing the arrangement of "Somewhere" that he had written for Barbra Streisand's "Broadway Album".  Thankfully, Ms. McPhee did not totally ape Ms. Streisand's version, however, I just found the whole set-up a little weird.

*Although, Kiri Te Kanawa used to use the same arrangement in concert too, so... ???

Ms te Kanawa listened only to Streisand's Broadway album when she was recording the album of Gershwin songs: the voice of an angel and the mind of a peanut.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 02:57:38 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Up