Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BACHARACH BENEFIT  (Read 25062 times)

singdaw

Re: THE BACHARACH BENEFIT
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2008, 05:48:09 AM »

or as they say in French 

Mange Merde

How colorful.    :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2008, 06:15:32 AM »

DC! DC! DC!

*And the guy behind me who was trying to cheat the system ended up not being able to do so. HA!
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2008, 06:18:02 AM »

TOD:

24 Hours From Tulsa
Make It Easy On Yourself
Wishin' & Hopin'
Always Something There To Remind Me
A Message To Michael
The Look of Love
Do You Know The Way To Santa Fe?
What the World Needs Now

Oh, forget it!  There's too many!!!!  I might as well type out the entire catalog!

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2008, 06:22:36 AM »

Good morning, all! Today is another full day for me: go to Tekserve to look at computers and purchase one, an editing session at Toyland, and a band. rehearsal for the Men's Chorus.  I'd like to get to the benefit tonight but I'm not sure I'll be able to do so.

I did find this lovely article, which also interviews my friends John Bolton, Terry Burrell, Lauren Kennedy, and some others in the benefit:

http://pozevent.blogspot.com/2008/09/love-out-loud-for-bruce-kimmel.html

So, Break a Leg, BK! And Kevin! And everyone else!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2008, 06:24:38 AM »

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ 

BREAKAGE OF LEGS FOR THE BENEFIT OF MR. BACHARACH   

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2008, 07:02:24 AM »

re: last night's THE AMAZING RACE

SPOILERS

fjasfopusafudsofu opufaoiufoidausdoi ufoiufaoiudsafouaoisu oisaufouoauopduou
I was actually okay with the outcome. but i was really nervous watching the show knowing that one team would lose their passports/money and not finish. I had narrowed it down to nick/starr or toni/dallas, and it upset me that one of these teams would be out and the frat boys would most likely be in.
I was happy when in the first 5 minutes they showed starr saying "how are we ever going to get a taxi now" (since that was the line they showed in the preview misdirect making it seem like she had lost the passports). So i had a good feeling it wasn't them.
It is sad that the mom/dallas team are out. they were quite strong. But i do not think dallas would have been able to finish that statue task without tina's help. Plus they took the bus instead of the taxi. So it was mistake after mistake. I'm also curious why they did not just wait in the spot the taxi dropped him off. I would think that the next person in the taxi would have alerted the driver. And obviously he would have realized they were filming a tv show. I thought he might return the stuff. Or at least they could have called the cab company. I was also surprised that tina and ken could not find that last clue box. Not a good way for them to start the finals. 
I could not believe how amazing nick was last night. he found the statues right away and was amazing at the subways. I can't remember seeing such an amazing leg. They look unbeatable.  I am mad though that the frats are in the finals. If they win i will be furious. I don't find them to be a cinderella story at all. They are underdogs. But they are awful at the race. They make mistake after mistake. And they really do not deserve to be in the finals.
daufoausfduad sf udsaof udsauoisauf odusafoudofudsaoi fudoisuf odsaufousaf
fu dao fuodsauf osaufoudaofuosauf sauf oiusafoi fuosaf uou oiu oiu ou u oiuo

Jennifer

« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2008, 07:03:24 AM »

Good luck to BK and cast tonight!

Jennifer

« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2008, 07:24:04 AM »

Last night when i was coming home i noticed that a lot more people had their Xmas lights on outside. And i even saw 4 houses with trees inside!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2008, 07:25:01 AM »

Well, like DR Jose's friends had done, I returned my LG Incite phone yesterday.  Despite it's handy-dandy cool features, it has too many design flaws (an irratically responsive touch screen, layers of layers of menus to navigate, etc.)   

I returned it to the AT&T store where I purchased it, planning on exchanging it for an actual iPhone.  But after signing in and having to wait about fifteen minutes to be called, the guy who was to wait on me said that it would be better if Wendy, the woman who originally sold me the phone, handled the exchange.  Wendy was busy selling phones to the King family and it was obviouse that she was going to be with them for a while.  When I asked if he would handle me the guy again said that Wendy was "more knowlegable about my situation and would be better suited to do the exchange" and that she would be with me in a few minutes.  After a half hour of a few minutes later, I went up to another clerk and told him that I couldn't wait any longer and that it was going to be a simple return.  The clerk made it obvious that he was not happy about have to handle a return and seemed to take some delight in telling me that there was a $20 repackaging fee.  I took as much delight in not mentioning that I didn't pay for the carrying case for which he refunded me $23.99.

My only mistake was that I allowed him to completely close out my AT&T account and I lost my cell phone number that I've had for about six years.

Afterwards, I drove around the cornor to the Verizon store where I signed up for a two-year contract and got a free Chocolate phone.  It handles bluetooth and does voice dialing which is all I really need in a cell phone for now.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2008, 07:27:29 AM »

Last night when i was coming home i noticed that a lot more people had their Xmas lights on outside. And i even saw 4 houses with trees inside!

My inside tree is up and I had it lit for a while last night.  I noticed that a few homes had outdoor lights up but not as many as usual.  Probably due to the rainy weekend we had.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2008, 07:28:05 AM »

Yesterday DR Matt said,
Then I watched LAW & ORDER: SVU which was this week's episode repeated last night, based on DR td's recommendation.

I had NO IDEA DR td was going to be on the show (well, his doppleganger - Martin Mull)! Very good (and tragic) episode.

I mentioned this episode a few days back - - when doppleganger moi joined the cast of some other show along with Jane Curtain.

I hope that they push for an Emmy nomination for Mr. Mull, he's very good in a very uncharacteristic role. 

I agree completely. He deserves an Emmy nomination for a very atypical role and an excellent performance. SVU has won the guest Emmy something like three out of the last four years (or something similar). They do provide their guest stars with very dramatic, meaty material.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2008, 07:29:56 AM »

Hello, everyone.
A busy day for me. In addition to my usual Monday routine, today is the home inspection. So it's "We love your house. Now go!" time.

I can't believe how much stuff there is to go through yet. I've been at this for a very long time. I swear it clones itself. I also can't believe that one of the buyers commented on how tidy the house is, including my office. Boy, did I fool them!

No time to play. I must be off.

Again, have a GREAT SHOW TONIGHT, BRUCE!

Matt H.

« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2008, 07:31:07 AM »

Good morning!

After two miserable days of rain (which made up about 2 inches of the deficit for the month we had established), the skies have finally cleared and blue sky can be seen. Still lots of clouds, but they're not rain clouds.

Matt H.

« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2008, 07:32:25 AM »

Can't believe it's now December. I'll have to start thinking about paying income taxes before too much longer. Gag!

Matt H.

« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2008, 07:33:08 AM »

TOD:

"I Say a Little Prayer"

"The Look of Love"

Matt H.

« Reply #75 on: December 01, 2008, 07:34:56 AM »

On TV Tonight!™

NBC - CHUCK, HEROES, MY OWN WORST ENEMY
ABC - BOSTON LEGAL
ESPN - MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL

The other networks are showing reruns for most or all of their prime time schedule.

Matt H.

« Reply #76 on: December 01, 2008, 07:36:04 AM »

Today I'll be working on CHUNGKING EXPRESS on Blu-ray, the last of the Criterion Blu-rays set for release this month. Of course, THE LAST EMPEROR on Blu-ray was postponed until early January, so that should be coming in shortly.

singdaw

« Reply #77 on: December 01, 2008, 07:38:23 AM »

***HOME INSPECTION VIBES***
for DR Jeanne!!!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2008, 08:09:39 AM »

~~~Don't-Run-Out-of-Vibes VIBES for DR Singdaw!~~~
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #79 on: December 01, 2008, 08:18:05 AM »

Best broken leg and other extremeties to all participating in the concert tonight.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #80 on: December 01, 2008, 08:18:14 AM »

TOD:

Everybody's Out of Town
A House is Not A Home
Windows of the World
Alfie
Make it Easy On Yourself
et.al.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 08:41:26 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #81 on: December 01, 2008, 08:19:19 AM »

Now I'm heading downstairs to clean up for lunch out with best friend John. I actually haven't heard from him this morning, but I'm assuming our lunch is still on the docket.

WBBL.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #82 on: December 01, 2008, 08:19:48 AM »

re: last night's THE AMAZING RACE

If they win i will be furious. I don't find them to be a cinderella story at all. They are underdogs. But they are awful at the race. They make mistake after mistake. And they really do not deserve to be in the finals.

And yet, there they are.

singdaw

« Reply #83 on: December 01, 2008, 08:20:03 AM »

***Don't Run With Scissors vibes***
for DR Ron Pulliam!!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #84 on: December 01, 2008, 08:22:08 AM »

The Mitchell Leisen film "Remember the Night", with a Preston Sturges screenplay, starring Barbara Stanwyck and Fred MacMurray will be airing on TCM this month.

I have never seen this film but have been assured by folks whose opinions I value that it is a stirring film appropriate for this season, but it's a film that has seldom been seen on TV.

The first airing of it will be Dec. 13.  It is on at 3 p.m. PST...if anyone is curious, check your listings for your area.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #85 on: December 01, 2008, 08:22:43 AM »

On behalf of Jews everywhere, I apologize for the frats making the finals of TAR.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

td

• td
« Reply #86 on: December 01, 2008, 08:24:05 AM »

I'll be working at Borders tonight (3 - 10), but I'll definitely have Bacharach on the brain.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~BREAK LEGS BACHARACH BENEFIT TO ALL INVOLVED~ ~ ~ ~ ~
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #87 on: December 01, 2008, 08:37:47 AM »

Just to be non-lyrical for a moment, I love "Pacific Coast Highway," Burt's nifty tune featuring ocarina.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #88 on: December 01, 2008, 08:42:05 AM »

Just to be non-lyrical for a moment, I love "Pacific Coast Highway," Burt's nifty tune featuring ocarina.

"Nikki" is a sweet melody, too.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #89 on: December 01, 2008, 08:53:28 AM »

Because it was "topical" a few days back, and because I did a search and "found it", I am offering this re-print of my comments/thoughts about the live theatrical presentation of "White Christmas" when it played San Francisco back in 2005:

Re:AT ONE WITH ONE
« Reply #123 on: November 26, 2005, 08:02:13 PM »   
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I’m back from the thee’ah-tur on this chilly November day less than 30 days before Christmas.

The bill of fare was “Irving Berlin’s ‘White Christmas’” and what a grand spectacle it all was.

It was tuneful, beautiful, spectacular and a fine tribute to the 1954 Paramount film of the same name.

The set design was unbelievably gorgeous and sets changed so often I cannot imagine the complexity of it all.  The changes were noiseless, almost all done in total darkness.

The music was classic Berlin:  “Happy Holiday,” “Let Yourself Go,” “Love and the Weather,” “Sisters,” “The Best Things Happen While You’re Dancing,” “Snow”, “What Do You Do With A General?”, “Let Me Sing and I’m Happy,” “Count Your Blessings,” “Blue Skies,” “I Love A Piano,” “Falling Out of Love Can Be Fun,” “Sisters” (Reprise w/the boys), “Love, You Didn’t Do Right By Me/How Deep Is the Ocean?” (nightclub sequence on a set that totally blew me away!!!), “We’ll Follow the Old Man,” “Let Me Sing and I’m Happy (Reprise), “How Deep is the Ocean” (Reprise), “We’ll Follow the Old Man” (Reprise), “White Christmas”, and for the Finale, “I’ve Got My Love to Keep Me Warm.”

“Let Yourself Go,” “I Love A Piano” and the "Finale" were full-blown extended ensemble numbers with some of the finest tapping I’ve had the pleasure of seeing.  The choreography by Randy Skinner was wonderful.

The costumes were all 50s kitsch...and you’d swear Rosemary Clooney and Vera-Ellen wore nothing snazzier than their counterparts in this show.

The plot is fairly faithful to the film, but the general’s granddaughter Susan is a 9-year-old visiting from California because she’s never seen snow!  The general’s housekeeper, Martha, is no Mary Wickes.  No, she’s a former showstopper herself and wrangles her way into Phil and Bob’s show all the while eavesdropping and jumping to Wickesian conclusions. 

Susan Mansur plays Martha and she’s terrific.  A HUGE voice and a heaping helping of charisma explode onstage every time she’s on.

Husband-wife performers Graham Rowat and Kate Baldwin play the Crosby-Clooney roles.  Both have big voices.  Baldwin really sells “Love You Didn’t Do Right By Me” and Rowat is fine, with a “trained” voice that gets in the way too often for my tastes.  (To me, it’s as if he has a certain note he loves to hit and every time he hits it, it's extended and booming, but it’s seldom the note that “ought” to be accentuated.  It’s a self-conscious voice, and I hate to say it, but Baldwin indulges in that self-consciousness a few times, too).

Not so the Kaye-Ellen counterparts.  THE spectacular male performer in this show is Mark Ledbetter.  He’s a hoofer, a singer with a great voice (a great interpretive singer who lets the song be sung) and he exudes more energy than just about anybody except Mansur who has less stage time.  Shannon O’Bryan is Judy Haynes and she’s a Vera-Ellen look-alike, physically (from the Loge, at any rate), with a good voice and plenty of hoofing talent.

Ledbetter was front-and-center in both big ensemble numbers and had some good moments with O’Bryan and Howat, as well.  To me, he was the standout performer in the company.

I’ve never been fond of the framing for the story...the sappy front-lines stuff and the later “because we love him, we love him...” stuff.  Somebody fetch me an insulin sucret!

And the character development is nominal...we “know” these characters from the movie, so we get more songs and dances than we do dialogue (which is a pure-tee blessing since it’s all rooted in 1954 idiom).

The overall production, though, is splendiferous, and director Walter Bobbie has gotten everything to work...and it’s all magic, with the added Finale surprise of snow blowing out onto the audience for a reprise of "White Christmas."

A VERY enjoyable, delightful entertainment!

Note to Elmore3003:  Larry, I hope the near-exact adherence to the film story won't get in the way of your enjoyment of the show.  There are many differences and most are for the better.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up