Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: FORTY YEARS AGO  (Read 16670 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re: FORTY YEARS AGO
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2008, 08:20:25 AM »

A GINNYuine Wish for DR Ginny to have a Happy Birthday!

That was a good one! My first big laugh of the day.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2008, 08:20:39 AM »

Page Three Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2008, 08:21:06 AM »

Well, I gues I need to head down now to get cleaned up for a (soggy) lunch out with friends.

WBBL.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2008, 08:24:49 AM »

NO big moves for me.  Four between second grade and seventh grade - but not long distances.  Have lived in the same house since 1971 - and my next move will be either to Spring Hill Government Housing or Sugar Creek Cemetery.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2008, 08:33:51 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... It's still raining in NYC.  It's colder in NYC.  Alas, it's not cold enough for snow.  -But, apparently, it's snowing in New Orleans and other places.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2008, 08:34:17 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR GINNY!!!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2008, 08:39:57 AM »

My first "solo" move into a place of my own was also my first "big" move.  I had been in the Navy for three years but had always lived in barracks.  In 1973, I was assigned to an Army post in northern Italy in the city of Vicenza.  I was a journalist/broadcaster and Vicenza was the location of the Armed Forces Radio Service (AFRS) facility that served Italy.  The Army was the "senior" branch of service in Italy and, therefore, hosted the AFRS station.  I was one of two Navy people there.  There were also two Air Force broadcasters.  The rest were Army and civilians (as many civilians as military!!!).

Being a Navy man on an Army post had its perks, including a room to myself in the barracks when I first arrived.  Unlike others in my paygrade (E-4, at that time), I was authorized (nay, encouraged) to live off post and the Navy was offering me an allowance for quarters (i.e. living accommodations).

I signed up with the housing office to tour available apartments/homes.  I finally found the right fit for me.  It was a third-story apartment (top floor) in a nice complex (six apartments, 2 per floor) about 2 miles from the post (Caserma Ederle in Vicenza, Italy).

I had two balconies -- one in front off the living room and one in back off my bedroom.  My living room "view" was a large cornfield, beyond which was the major street off which Caserma Ederle was positioned.  I could see the tops of the roofs on the post.  It was all about 3/4 mile from the center of Vicenza. 

I felt rather "suburban" in an "urban" environment (what with the cornfield and all).  The road linking me to the post ran down the middle of the cornfields.  I bought an old Fiat, but I also had a bicycle.  The bicycling to work, especially for night shifts, was very eerie...and "Harvest Home" would always run through my head as I pedaled along the road.  It was even eerier when I had to stop for a train (a track ran through the cornfields, too, crossing the road I traveled).

I had a great view of some low mountains out my bedroom window.  There was also an unobstructed view of a rather unique-looking building out in what seemed to be a pasture.  While there were no cows, it was all open land, very grassy and nicely maintained.  I later learned this building had a name:  La Rotonda, and it had been designed/built by Italian architect Andrea Palladio (whose name lent itself to "Palladium" as a "style").  The "Rotunda" was Thomas Jefferson's inspiration for the center section of Monticello.

Atop the mountain (called Monte Berrico) was an old monastery that occasionally rang bells that wafted over the countryside.

I cannot recall how long I lived there before waking one day to one of the most spectacularly "clear" days ever.  In general, Vicenza was foggy in one way or another...high fog, that looked like clouds or ground-hugging, lung-filling, so-thick-you-had-to-feel-your-way-through-it fog (and I came to love it).  On this day, though, there was no fog.  I stood on my bedroom balcony and took in all the sights.  Off to the right, I could see the city rooftops and spires of churches and a bell tower.  And....WHAT?  What was that beyond the city?  HUGE, TOWERING mountains.  Snow-capped, too.  I later learned they were called "The Dolomites", the Italian section of the Alps.  Incredible sight.  It was in Europe that I experienced mountains so high they took your breath away. 

My apartment was cozy, had two bedrooms (or three if you don't want a dining room), and had every room off a central entryway.  Tiny kitchen, nice-sized living room, marble floors and high windows.

I loved the independence.  I loved the privacy.  I loved it that folks enjoyed invitations to come over.  I still have a fondness for that first apartment.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 08:45:44 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2008, 08:45:33 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day....

Being the son of a father in the Coast Guard...

Born in Boston, but moved/transferred down to Washington, DC., a few months after I was born.

Seven years later, we moved/transferred to Seattle with a preliminary stop in Port Angeles.

Two years later, we moved/transferred to New London/Gales Ferry, CT. *Which is where I started taking proper piano lessons. -Although, I did take some sort of keyboard/piano lessons in some mall shop in Seattle.

Then about two years after that, we moved/transfered back down to the DC area, Arlington, VA.

Then came the move down to Richmond for college.  -Where, during my first week at school, someone was stabbed in broad daylight in front of the campus gym, and there was a shooting out at the off-campus housing where I was living.  (Blame me?)

I bopped between my parents' house in Fairfax and Richmond for a few years, before getting my own place in Richmond... Then moving in with Steve...

And three and a half years ago... New York City!
Make Your Own Luck.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2008, 08:53:11 AM »

Druxie - are YOU another Sag??? Wow - happy belated birthday wishes to you, too.

No, I'm a Pisces.  My birthday isn't until February 23rd.

It's always easy to remember, because it's the day after George Washington's.
You can dream…or you can do.

singdaw

« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2008, 08:55:23 AM »

Some wonderful stories today generating from the TOD!  :)

My story is not nearly so interesting:

Born in New Jersey.  My family moved to Los Angeles when I was 3.  Transferred back to Connecticut when I was 8.  And, other than four years of school in Ohio, I've moved quite a few times since, but all within the NYC metro area.

singdaw

« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2008, 08:56:10 AM »

And here I though DR PennyO meant a member of the Screen Actor's Guild!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2008, 08:56:23 AM »

As for the Golden Globe Nominations...

Some very interesting choices in the Acting categories.

And I'm very happy to see "Slumdog Millionaire" in the Best Picture category.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2008, 09:00:09 AM »

The package I shipped to BK yesterday was shipped 3-day delivery and I thought it would arrive on Monday.  According to Fed Ex's tracking, it's already in Valley Village, CA!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2008, 09:08:20 AM »

DR Druxy, did you read the new book on Barbara Payton...it is great!

I haven't read it.

Actually, I have researched my own book on the Barbara Payton, Franchot Tone, Tom Neal triange, but my agents were never able to interest a major publisher.  The major roadblock: Who remembers these people?

I did some interesting interviews, too.  Like the owner of the apartment building who witnessed Neal beating the crap out of Tone.

The book is one of my "to do" projects...should the time ever become right.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2008, 09:09:46 AM »

And here I though DR PennyO meant a member of the Screen Actor's Guild!

Well, if that's what she meant, then the answer is "No" to that, too.

:)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2008, 09:12:37 AM »

The package I shipped to BK yesterday was shipped 3-day delivery and I thought it would arrive on Monday.  According to Fed Ex's tracking, it's already in Valley Village, CA!

Arriving nearby is one thing....and having it delivered...well.....

I once noted a package arrived in Oakland four days before it was actually delivered.   As it wasn't for express delivery, I had nothing specific I could complain about.  I  got it within the window provided for said delivery.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2008, 09:23:07 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DR GINNY!

May your day be filled with as much joy as you give everyone else.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #77 on: December 11, 2008, 09:23:13 AM »

Arriving nearby is one thing....and having it delivered...well.....

I once noted a package arrived in Oakland four days before it was actually delivered.   As it wasn't for express delivery, I had nothing specific I could complain about.  I  got it within the window provided for said delivery.

I think bk might be at an advantage since he has his mail and packaged delivered to a "mail place".

However, I have noticed that UPS' shipping times have been on the shorter end of delivery windows lately.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #78 on: December 11, 2008, 09:25:14 AM »

Penny, thanks for the belated wishes.  I'm still in shock.

singdaw

« Reply #79 on: December 11, 2008, 09:44:30 AM »

I'm still in shock.

Shock and awe, baby!     :)

Cillaliz

« Reply #80 on: December 11, 2008, 09:45:06 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DR GINNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: December 11, 2008, 09:46:38 AM »

Remember that I shipped my big box o' stuff back to LA via Fed Ex three day service and it arrived the next day.  Maybe that's Fed Ex's way of giving holiday cheer.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: December 11, 2008, 09:47:11 AM »

I'm up, the sun is shining, the sky is blue, and I got a decent night's sleep.

singdaw

« Reply #83 on: December 11, 2008, 09:51:20 AM »

the sky is blue

The telecine operator is getting better!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #84 on: December 11, 2008, 09:52:57 AM »

Remember that I shipped my big box o' stuff back to LA via Fed Ex three day service and it arrived the next day.  Maybe that's Fed Ex's way of giving holiday cheer.

It also went from airport shipping hub to airport shipping hub.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #85 on: December 11, 2008, 09:54:50 AM »

Hubba-Hubba!

Cillaliz

« Reply #86 on: December 11, 2008, 09:55:13 AM »

TOD: My first "big" move was when I left home to go to the University of Kansas.  I didn't have a car there, so even though it's an 8 hour drive it could have been 1000 miles away.   On the way we had some sort of car trouble. When we arrived they had 3 people assigned to a small 2 person dorm room, so they wanted me to stay in the ironing room that night. I didn't know anyone there and didn't really want to sleep in the ironing room so instead we went to a motel and went back the next morning.  Since the 3rd person hadn't checked in yet, they gave me the room. 

I transferred to the University of Iowa after 2 years and after I decided I didn't want to be a flute performance major after all.  There were no rooms available for transfer students in the dorm so I got an apartment.  I had no idea about how to go about getting an apartment, but went and started looking and found one in a "security building" (the door was always open so the "security" was really a joke).  I still didn't have a car, so I got to lug groceries on the bus and all that fun stuff, but I did have my own place.

After law school I made the huge move to Phoenix.  The original plan was to move to Juneau, Alaska, but I met a guy and he wanted to go to Phoenix, so I changed all my plans and went there instead. He lasted 4 days, I stayed 5 years.   That was a very hard move and probably the most alone I've ever been in my life.   I didn't have a job, but got one as a law clerk for a judge fairly quickly then it was on to the public defender's office.  I met lots of people there, but it never felt like home to me.  I am very happy to be back in Iowa and plan to stay right where I am for the duration.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #87 on: December 11, 2008, 10:04:25 AM »

And speaking of Amazon.com... ;)

Have any other DRs not been receiving e-mail notifications that their orders have been processed and shipped?
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: December 11, 2008, 10:11:53 AM »

It also went from airport shipping hub to airport shipping hub.

That must explain why it took the full three days when I sent it to NY :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: December 11, 2008, 10:13:13 AM »

And speaking of Amazon.com... ;)

Have any other DRs not been receiving e-mail notifications that their orders have been processed and shipped?

It's been hit and miss.  I ordered the Phase IV DVD on Tuesday with two-day free shipping, got no shipping notice and it arrived yesterday, in one day.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up