Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Down

Author Topic: IT'S BEGINNING TO LOOK A LOT LIKE CHRISTMAS  (Read 21071 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re: IT'S BEGINNING TO LOOK A LOT LIKE CHRISTMAS
« Reply #300 on: December 18, 2008, 10:05:37 PM »

The dogs are all in a dither - there was a scrambling noise on our roof top, and now I hear lots of Hoo - ing from the trees. Might owls be a-hunting?

der Brucer

Are owls really that loud!
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #301 on: December 18, 2008, 10:06:34 PM »

No, that's the point - I'm not on the "free" plan.  I want to "cancel" the 9.99 I'm paying every month.  So, if I do, but keep my e-mail addresses and the free e-mail service, how do I access my e-mail.  Obviously, if I'm not paying then the browser won't work, correct?  I need clear answers.

Also, in gmail, it says that if AOL supports POP 3 that I can have all my AOL mail gathered there - how does that work?  How do I set that up?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #302 on: December 18, 2008, 10:06:44 PM »

bk - For example...

I switched over to AOL's free plan a few years ago.  I no longer pay a monthly fee to AOL as long as access AOL via the web and through my ISP. -Now, if I were to use AOL's dial-up network, then I would have to pay AOL for that use.

I still use my AOL software to access my e-mail and AIM/Buddy list.  However, I also use iChat and (Mac)Mail.  When AOL went "totally web", AOL also went "POP mail" which made it possible to access one's AOL e-mail through a third-party e-mail client - Entourage, Outlook, even through Yahoo or GMail.

Your connectivity issue sounds like you may just need to reinstall your AOL software - or even UPDATE it.  -The latest version of AOL for Mac is the "AOL Desktop".  If you go to AOL.com, and scroll down to the bottom of the screen, you will see "Download AOL".  That will allow you to download the "AOL Desktop".
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #303 on: December 18, 2008, 10:10:05 PM »

No, that's the point - I'm not on the "free" plan.  I want to "cancel" the 9.99 I'm paying every month.  So, if I do, but keep my e-mail addresses and the free e-mail service, how do I access my e-mail.  Obviously, if I'm not paying then the browser won't work, correct?  I need clear answers.

Also, in gmail, it says that if AOL supports POP 3 that I can have all my AOL mail gathered there - how does that work?  How do I set that up?

OUCH!

You're still paying for AOL?!?!??!

OH, OK... Well, this is truly an EASY fix.  Just read the following instructions over a few times, then proceed.

1. Start AOL.
2. Log on to AOL.
3. Go to Keyword: Billing.
4. Change your Billing plan to the Free one.

That's it.  You are just changing your billing plan.  You are NOT canceling your service.  You can still use AOL's software to access your e-mail.

*The "catch" with the FREE plan is that you will no longer have access to some of the AOL functions, which also includes some of the customer service options.  But everything else will work as usual.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #304 on: December 18, 2008, 10:11:00 PM »

Just go to GMail's "Help" section.  And READ.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #305 on: December 18, 2008, 10:12:23 PM »

Thank you for the lamp website suggestions.  Some of the possibilities look very close.

I'll let my wife peruse them in the morning, since she was more familiar with the lamp than I was.

I do appreciate your kindness and so does she.

Druxy

:)
You can dream…or you can do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #306 on: December 18, 2008, 10:13:29 PM »

Well, now that you've provided "clear information"...  ;)

*And if you still don't "get it", just call Apple Care - they can walk you through it.
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #307 on: December 18, 2008, 10:16:04 PM »

Thank you for the lamp website suggestions.  Some of the possibilities look very close.

I'll let my wife peruse them in the morning, since she was more familiar with the lamp than I was.

I do appreciate your kindness and so does she.

Druxy

:)

I hope the efforts spared poor kitty a life.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #308 on: December 18, 2008, 10:17:30 PM »

Okay, I've found the download desktop thing - now, Jose, can I call you and YOU can talk me through it?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #309 on: December 18, 2008, 10:17:52 PM »

Or, if you're on your cell, call me on my home line.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #310 on: December 18, 2008, 10:18:11 PM »

I just don't want to click on anything that's going to screw with anything.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #311 on: December 18, 2008, 10:18:30 PM »

And then maybe you can talk me through changing my billing plan.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #312 on: December 18, 2008, 10:19:06 PM »

And setting up gmail to gather my AOL mail, although if the new desktop software fixes all this crap I've been going through, then I'm fine using AOL.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #313 on: December 18, 2008, 10:19:29 PM »

Jose, I'm PMing you my home number, just in case.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #314 on: December 18, 2008, 10:19:35 PM »

bk - It's under Price Plan - "Change My Plan" (scroll down)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #315 on: December 18, 2008, 10:41:40 PM »

Jose kindly talked me through changing the plan so that's done.  I must say, I spoke to AOL twice about it and they were so confusing and unclear about how it worked that I've been paying needlessly for five years.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #316 on: December 18, 2008, 10:44:44 PM »

But AOL is still "quitting" arbitrarily (as Jose just found out) and when it does that, then the entire Internet signal gets screwed up - that's been happening since I got this computer - it never happened on my older PowerBook in Tiger.  Last I spoke to Apple Care they said they could change the frequency I'm on (they think that it's someone in my neighborhood who is interfering with the signal), but that if I do that it's not compatible with Tiger, which I still have on my PowerBook - so I either have to upgrade that to Leopard, which I now may do because I think I need to get on this other frequency so this crap stops happening.  For example, I can't even quit out of AOL the normal way - it won't do it - I have to Force Quit every time.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #317 on: December 18, 2008, 10:50:15 PM »

But AOL is still "quitting" arbitrarily (as Jose just found out) and when it does that, then the entire Internet signal gets screwed up - that's been happening since I got this computer - it never happened on my older PowerBook in Tiger.  Last I spoke to Apple Care they said they could change the frequency I'm on (they think that it's someone in my neighborhood who is interfering with the signal), but that if I do that it's not compatible with Tiger, which I still have on my PowerBook - so I either have to upgrade that to Leopard, which I now may do because I think I need to get on this other frequency so this crap stops happening.  For example, I can't even quit out of AOL the normal way - it won't do it - I have to Force Quit every time.

OH!  That bug!  There is a known issue when you run AOL and Safari at the same time.  AOL's built-in browser - at least in version 10.3 - causes all sorts of problems since it's still basically a version of Internet Explorer (for Mac).

Are you still able to use the internet browser within AOL?

So... Maybe you should use the AOL Desktop since that integrates Safari as it's browser.  *You can always download it, install it, try it once... Then if you don't like, just don't use it again and/or delete the application from your Apps folder.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #318 on: December 18, 2008, 10:50:38 PM »

OK - I'm outta here.

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #319 on: December 18, 2008, 10:54:21 PM »

Ah, then that makes sense.  So, maybe I should quit out of Safari when I want to use my AOL e-mail stuff, and then quit out of that, then launch Safari again - not use them together.  OKAY!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #320 on: December 18, 2008, 11:04:55 PM »

Well, that didn't work.  I quit out of Safari, launched AOL, tried to quit and it wouldn't.  Had to Force Quit, which I did.  Then relaunched Safari, which wouldn't launch properly, so had to restart the computer for the fifteenth time today.  I'm calling Apple Care in the morning and we're going to hash this out once and for all.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Up