Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Down

Author Topic: GUBMUH HAB  (Read 36834 times)

singdaw

Re: GUBMUH HAB
« Reply #330 on: December 20, 2008, 06:00:41 PM »

bk - glad at least that no one appears to have been injured.   Cripes!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #331 on: December 20, 2008, 06:00:54 PM »

Bath time and then bed time on this the coldest night of the year, so far!  In this area!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

singdaw

« Reply #332 on: December 20, 2008, 06:01:10 PM »

DR Jane - what a lovely photo.  Thanks for sharing!  :)

singdaw

« Reply #333 on: December 20, 2008, 06:02:09 PM »

on this the coldest night of the year

And, for those of us in the Northern Hemisphere, also almost the longest!

FJL

« Reply #334 on: December 20, 2008, 06:17:52 PM »

DO I HEAR A FAULTZ?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #335 on: December 20, 2008, 06:21:56 PM »

Topic of the Day: 

I haven't seen much in the way of local theater.  I was in Side Show, which was a lot of fun, and we just (sadly) unceremoniously ended Reefer Madness! The Musical!  Otherwise, I saw Six Women With Brain Death at Capital Playhouse and it was good.  I didn't quite get it, but it was well done. :)

Otherwise, I saw Shrek and it was quite good.  Seven Brides for Seven Brothers was pretty good.  I loved The Drowsy Chaperone! :)

Didn't you also see SWEENEY TODD this year?

Not live.  If you're thinking of the Capital Playhouse production with Jarod Emmick, that was in October, 2007...at least, I can't remember seeing the show live this year. :-\
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Michael

« Reply #336 on: December 20, 2008, 06:25:30 PM »

For DR Matt Hough or anyone else who knows about Blu Ray

I was watching LOST (Disc 3). Turned it off and came back to it later. It would not load up. I tried another Blu Ray Disc and a DVD and the both worked, It thought my Lost discs somehow were defective so I exchanged them. Same thing I could load them. I then tried Mama Mia which worked yesterday, but today would not work.

I have the latest firm ware. I have turned off the machine. Turn it back on. It would not get past loading disc.

very strange. some work some don't.

any ideas? any suggestions?
Never stop dreaming.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #337 on: December 20, 2008, 06:40:34 PM »

WE HAVE A DAUGHTER!!!  :D :D :D

Congratulations!
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #338 on: December 20, 2008, 06:45:02 PM »

Back from a meal and more bumper cars - this time literally, unfortunately.  I was coming north on Laurel Canyon and in the left turn lane at my street.  Now, they've been doing work a little further south so the southbound lanes have been backed up all week.  So, cars nicely stop and allow people to turn left rather than block the intersection.  That is precisely what happened - the cars in the left and right lanes were stopped.  I proceeded to turn left slowly, and then from out of nowhere some ASSHOLE speeds through trying to beat me, even though there's nowhere for him to go.  He wasn't really even in a lane (there's room to drive on the extreme right, but there are really only two called out lanes).  So, he didn't beat me and I hit the back of his car - he spun around completely but didn't hit anyone else, thankfully.  I finished my left turn and got out of my car, hopping mad.  He perused the his car, which from where I was standing didn't look like it had much if any damage.  He had his son or some young man in the car with him.  He came up to me with a very cocky attitude and I immediately saw that and said, "You're not going to say this wasn't your fault, are you?"  And this fat mo-fo says, "Yes, it was 100% your fault."  I said, "See you in court, pal, you won't be getting away with this one."  Luckily, I had someone in the car who was coming back with me to do something on the computer, and who saw EVERYTHING.  This guy hands me his card and wouldn't you know, he's both a CPA AND a lawyer, hence the cockiness.  I checked my car and other than it having had its front license plate ripped off the car, the bumper was just scuffed - I'll probably have it replaced, and I have to get the license reattached pronto, probably first thing Monday morning.  I called my insurance hotline and reported it and filed a claim and told them exactly what happened.  I have no doubt that this peckerwood is going to do whatever he can to make it seem like he was in the right.  But I will stand firm.  The worst that could happen is that my insurance company will have to settle with him, but I don't want to.  Also, neither he nor his son nor me nor my passenger was harmed in any way - it will be interesting to see if he goes down THAT road, what with being an attorney and all.

Glad you're okay.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #339 on: December 20, 2008, 06:47:23 PM »

I just got back from seeing THE READER.

It's one of the very best, emotionally involving, films I've seen so far this year. 

Kate Winslet could finally get her Oscar for this one.

George

« Reply #340 on: December 20, 2008, 06:57:36 PM »

The happy couple

Jane, that's a lovely picture of a lovely couple! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #341 on: December 20, 2008, 06:59:05 PM »

Back from a meal and more bumper cars - this time literally, unfortunately.  I was coming north on Laurel Canyon and in the left turn lane at my street.  Now, they've been doing work a little further south so the southbound lanes have been backed up all week.  So, cars nicely stop and allow people to turn left rather than block the intersection.  That is precisely what happened - the cars in the left and right lanes were stopped.  I proceeded to turn left slowly, and then from out of nowhere some ASSHOLE speeds through trying to beat me, even though there's nowhere for him to go.  He wasn't really even in a lane (there's room to drive on the extreme right, but there are really only two called out lanes).  So, he didn't beat me and I hit the back of his car - he spun around completely but didn't hit anyone else, thankfully.  I finished my left turn and got out of my car, hopping mad.  He perused the his car, which from where I was standing didn't look like it had much if any damage.  He had his son or some young man in the car with him.  He came up to me with a very cocky attitude and I immediately saw that and said, "You're not going to say this wasn't your fault, are you?"  And this fat mo-fo says, "Yes, it was 100% your fault."  I said, "See you in court, pal, you won't be getting away with this one."  Luckily, I had someone in the car who was coming back with me to do something on the computer, and who saw EVERYTHING.  This guy hands me his card and wouldn't you know, he's both a CPA AND a lawyer, hence the cockiness.  I checked my car and other than it having had its front license plate ripped off the car, the bumper was just scuffed - I'll probably have it replaced, and I have to get the license reattached pronto, probably first thing Monday morning.  I called my insurance hotline and reported it and filed a claim and told them exactly what happened.  I have no doubt that this peckerwood is going to do whatever he can to make it seem like he was in the right.  But I will stand firm.  The worst that could happen is that my insurance company will have to settle with him, but I don't want to.  Also, neither he nor his son nor me nor my passenger was harmed in any way - it will be interesting to see if he goes down THAT road, what with being an attorney and all.

:o Glad you're not hurt, BK...and your passenger.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 07:03:56 PM by George »

George

« Reply #342 on: December 20, 2008, 07:09:36 PM »

Well, I need to brave the snow and wind and check my mail. :P It was too early to check it when I drove home this afternoon, so now, if there is any mail for me, it's here.  After I get back, I'm going to watch a LOT of TV that's been recorded on my DVR! ;D

George

« Reply #343 on: December 20, 2008, 07:10:46 PM »

Until later!

Cillaliz

« Reply #344 on: December 20, 2008, 07:25:19 PM »

BK, Glad you are ok.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #345 on: December 20, 2008, 07:36:37 PM »

Topic of the Day: 

I haven't seen much in the way of local theater.  I was in Side Show, which was a lot of fun, and we just (sadly) unceremoniously ended Reefer Madness! The Musical!  Otherwise, I saw Six Women With Brain Death at Capital Playhouse and it was good.  I didn't quite get it, but it was well done. :)

Otherwise, I saw Shrek and it was quite good.  Seven Brides for Seven Brothers was pretty good.  I loved The Drowsy Chaperone! :)

Didn't you also see SWEENEY TODD this year?

Not live.  If you're thinking of the Capital Playhouse production with Jarod Emmick, that was in October, 2007...at least, I can't remember seeing the show live this year. :-\

Really?  It doesn't seem like it was that long ago.  Sorry, I will mind my own business.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #346 on: December 20, 2008, 07:36:38 PM »

I get back from a lovely evening with DR Ginny and Richard to find our DR Nursie a mother-in-law and BK in an accident and DR MBarnum doing something like Christmas, but God knows what he did from his syntax! It's all too too too exciting at HHW tonight.

I had a wonderful time with DR Ginny and my old junior high school chum Richard. I love shaddock's pizza and it was just right. And the finish, a cake from Central Pastry, my fave bakery. Too too divine.

Nursie, how fantastic that everything worked out today for your family. I hope everyone on departure gets a Mallomar to sustain them on their journey.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #347 on: December 20, 2008, 07:38:32 PM »

BK, thanks for reposting the TWISTED NERVE info. I think it's great that before its release it's causing mass hysteria.

As for the mo-fo in the accident, pin him to the wall!

Fry the Bastard!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #348 on: December 20, 2008, 07:40:30 PM »

Add to my weekend viewing pleasure:

Season 4 on LOST on Blu Ray. It was very unexpected Christmas gift. Love it. I have watch the first two discs. Love what they have to offer and find the flash forwards very intriguing

Season 4 was my favorite season of the show along with season 1. I found the entirety of season 4 spellbinding. Jaw-dropping moments in almost every single episode.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #349 on: December 20, 2008, 07:40:38 PM »

I get back from a lovely evening with DR Ginny and Richard to find our DR Nursie a mother-in-law and BK in an accident and DR MBarnum doing something like Christmas, but God knows what he did from his syntax! It's all too too too exciting at HHW tonight.

I had a wonderful time with DR Ginny and my old junior high school chum Richard. I love shaddock's pizza and it was just right. And the finish, a cake from Central Pastry, my fave bakery. Too too divine.

Nursie, how fantastic that everything worked out today for your family. I hope everyone on departure gets a Mallomar to sustain them on their journey.

Elmore, I am so glad you are having such a good time in Ohio, even if it does have to involve the Macbeths.  Just remember, even in Shakespeare's version, there is a happy ending.
“One thing’s universal,

Matt H.

« Reply #350 on: December 20, 2008, 07:43:33 PM »

I'm on-line a bit earlier than I expected. I came up to put the finishing touches on THE LAST EMPEROR Blu-ray review, and it went more quickly than I anticipated.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #351 on: December 20, 2008, 07:45:16 PM »

The snow storm is very exciting, the most snow we have had in Tacoma in several years.  Still, it is bedtime.

G'night!
“One thing’s universal,

MBarnum

« Reply #352 on: December 20, 2008, 07:46:54 PM »

I don't know from syntax.

MBarnum

« Reply #353 on: December 20, 2008, 07:48:16 PM »

There is a lot of deep snow on the ground. Now tiny ice globs are falling, it is either sleet or freezing rain, I can't tell which just yet.

Matt H.

« Reply #354 on: December 20, 2008, 07:49:16 PM »

For DR Matt Hough or anyone else who knows about Blu Ray

I was watching LOST (Disc 3). Turned it off and came back to it later. It would not load up. I tried another Blu Ray Disc and a DVD and the both worked, It thought my Lost discs somehow were defective so I exchanged them. Same thing I could load them. I then tried Mama Mia which worked yesterday, but today would not work.

I have the latest firm ware. I have turned off the machine. Turn it back on. It would not get past loading disc.

very strange. some work some don't.

any ideas? any suggestions?

What kind of player are you using, if you don't mind my asking? Some are crankier than others. (My PS3 has never given one second of trouble, and the Samsung 1500's latest firmware fixed the only problem I've ever had with it: not loading FOR YOUR EYES ONLY past the FBI warnings.)

The Blu-rays of LOST (and GREY'S ANATOMY) use that system that is supposed to keep track of which episodes you've watched and which you haven't. It's supposed to save your place when you stop before finishing a disc. The system worked flawlessly on both my players, so I really have no clue what's wrong.

Next time this happens, don't just try turning off the player. Try unplugging it and leaving it off for a bit. I'm not saying that will help, but it can't hurt, and it certainly reset my Toshiba HD-DVD player when I did that.

Matt H.

« Reply #355 on: December 20, 2008, 07:52:34 PM »

DR Michael Shayne, I also highly recommend the user forums at the AVS Forum. They have user forums for every make of Blu-ray player, and just reading through the pages of user comments and questions has helped me lots of little questions I've had about my equipment. If you join (free), you can pose the question about your machine if it hasn't already been asked.

Matt H.

« Reply #356 on: December 20, 2008, 07:54:05 PM »

I began my evening zipping through the bonus features on THE LAST EMPEROR disc. They are all exactly the same from the DVD set apart from the omission of the longer TV-version of the movie and a much shorter booklet in the package. None of the featurettes are in high definition. They're all 480p.

Matt H.

« Reply #357 on: December 20, 2008, 08:00:35 PM »

Next, I watched MAMMA MIA! on Blu-ray. Just like the stage show in terms of entertainment value, it's a pure puff piece, completely forgettable the second the movie is over.

Sharpness is exemplary, but the color values are all over the place: sometimes oversaturated and sometimes more normal seeming. Sometimes the flesh is too orange or yellow and other times excellent.

All of the women are grand (I wish Meryl had lost about ten pounds before the start of filming), and I liked Peter Firth's light, lilting voice. After all the vicious pans of Pierce Brosnan's singing, I was expecting the worst, so perhaps that's why I was pleasantly surprised when he sang a good many correct notes. The problem is that his voice has no lyrical quality to it at all. It's a dry, scratchy sound that's not very appealing. But it wasn't as awful as I was expecting. What a shame they didn't get someone like Brent Barrett or Tom Wopat to play that role, though. I don't think it would have mattered at all to the film's stellar box-office take.

Matt H.

« Reply #358 on: December 20, 2008, 08:03:04 PM »

I finished my evening of viewing with three more OUR GANG comedy shorts, among my favorites is "Fly My Kite" as a crooked son-in-law tries to steal Grandma's bonds worth $100,000. I love how the gang comes to her aid.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #359 on: December 20, 2008, 08:09:07 PM »

Good Evening!

I <heart> Momofuku Noodle Bar.  -As well as Momofuku Milk Bar... Even if they did end up shorting me one Compost Cookie, but at least the Marshmallow-Chocolate-Chip-Cornflake Cookie made it home.

*And the Compost Cookie is not what it seems like it would be - thankfully. It's actually made with Butterscotch Chips, Pretzels, Potato Chips, Chocolate Chips and Finely Ground Coffee Beans.  Guess I'll have to go back tomorrow.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Up