Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE PERIOD THAT WENT AWRY  (Read 23912 times)

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
Re:THE PERIOD THAT WENT AWRY
« Reply #150 on: March 07, 2004, 07:45:38 PM »

For when the world has returned:

Here's what happened to SWW for serving less-than moist pork roast:

der Brucer (looks like a rig for a lazy hitch-hiker!)

AH!

Sorry, SWW, but it sucks to be you.  :-*
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #151 on: March 07, 2004, 07:45:56 PM »

OH - Just as I popped into chat, DR Sarah popped out...  Guess I forgot to have a mint after my dinner...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #152 on: March 07, 2004, 07:48:27 PM »

According to Bakalor, I can't enter the chat because of something involving java.  I don't know what that means, but okay.
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #153 on: March 07, 2004, 07:57:13 PM »

Chat was sparkling, but I think I'm all chatted out.

Here's something I just read which is fascinating -- and I probably should know it, but didn't until now. (I never took Introductory Logic, which is one setting in which you'd find this kind of interesting stuff.) I'm sure FS Pogue is familiar with it.
The Cretan Paradox:
The poet Epimenides stated: "All Cretans are liars."
Epimenides, however, was from Crete. Sooo, his statement can only be true if it's false.
This is known as an antinomy - a logical term for a statement that contradicts itself.

I love this kind of thing! Gives me a headache, but it's fun to think about.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #154 on: March 07, 2004, 08:05:18 PM »

BK, you do know I have problems with the finished film of Dragonheart.  The script, available through Harvest Moon (harvestmoon.com) or the novel are the definitive versions.  My problems related to the ham-fisted directing  and some of the director's so-called inprovements.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #155 on: March 07, 2004, 08:06:11 PM »

They do, Blanche, they do!

In your Control Panel Settings, under Internet Options, Security, select the Advanced Options - there you will be able to opt for having a "Prompt" before a "cookie" is loaded.

der TechnoGeek Brucer

Oooh, thank you.  But it was under "Privacy", not "Security".  Makes no never mind.  I have set it.  Now maybe I won't have to go through my semi-monthly cookie deletion.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #156 on: March 07, 2004, 08:12:08 PM »

Good evening all
I caught the very last bit of chat, and I'm sure the rest was wonderful.
Pirates was a rousing success, even the matinee crowd was great.  Now all I have to do tomorrow is get all the costumes organized and ready to be cleaned, then my job is done, yay!

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #157 on: March 07, 2004, 08:19:28 PM »

My head is actually still recovering - just a little whoozy and headachey.

Does consumption of Tanqueray and Tonic enter into the equation?

der always curious Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #158 on: March 07, 2004, 08:22:56 PM »

I was once not Java-enabled.  I'm sure there is a workaround for it, and I don't really know why that advice wasn't offered to you.  I mean, if I can get into chat everyone should be able to.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #159 on: March 07, 2004, 08:23:41 PM »

DR Jose is not kidding about the winds. Just before 8 p.m., the lights flickered, power went out, and the most horrific wind storm since Hurricane Hugo blew through here. We had winds up to 60 mph and there was lots of debris and tree limbs down. Thankfully for me, power came back on after about five minutes, but I was truly frightened. After living through Hurricane Hugo, a mighty wind is NO laughing matter.

At first I thought maybe a tornado had sped through here, but the TV weather folks said it was not "tornadic" conditions, just unusually heavy winds.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #160 on: March 07, 2004, 08:27:37 PM »

Pogue, I do know you were not so thrilled with the final product.  The director is not so hot, that much is clear, nor is the cameraman.  And a couple of casting choices are peculiar, but I'm enjoying it seeing through all that stuff.  I compare things with the novel to see what was changed, but I'm sure I'm missing things.  What was the worst of what he did?  Also, did you know that there was a commentary track by him?  Have you heard it?

Panni

« Reply #161 on: March 07, 2004, 08:29:08 PM »

Congrats on PIRATES, Ann! :D

Panni

« Reply #162 on: March 07, 2004, 08:31:23 PM »

Must get ready for THE SOPRANOS premiere. What shall I wear?...

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #163 on: March 07, 2004, 08:32:31 PM »

According to Bakalor, I can't enter the chat because of something involving java.  I don't know what that means, but okay.

It means you must serve your browser only caffeinated coffee.  If it gives up coffee for SankaŽ or even SankaŽ, Bianca, for you, it just won't get chatty.
--Wayland Flowers

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #164 on: March 07, 2004, 08:37:51 PM »

Does consumption of Tanqueray and Tonic enter into the equation?

der always curious Brucer

If only.... But after the almost consistently turbulent flight from Chattanooga to Atlanta, it's probably best that I did not imbibe last night as I had prognosticated.  -I guess that's what I did.   :P

In any case... DR Sarah kindly popped back into chat to say "Hello"... and then we both said "Goodbye".

And now I'm watching Phonebooth on HBO... Hmmm....
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #165 on: March 07, 2004, 08:40:06 PM »

I found PHONE BOOTH very suspenseful and the perfect length. One of Joel Schumacher's better efforts.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #166 on: March 07, 2004, 08:45:19 PM »

And with that silly remark I observe that there is hay around here that definitely needs to be hit, and I have been elected to hit it.  I have much to say about my own personal life, but that will wait for another time.

Suffice it to add that I watched The Faculty, starring Frodo, once again on the teevee tonight, and not having read Kritzer Time yet I can only assume that this film was an extremely acurate recreation of Benjamin Kritzer's own high school experience.

And as I was catching up on the posts, MusicChoice on my cable tv (the Showtunes channel--hopla!) was playing Liz Callaway's "Standing on the Corner", and I noticed for the first time "couldn't buy a guy a diet coke."  No question who produced that album!

Night night.

Don't let the bed-bugs bite.
--Wayland Flowers

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #167 on: March 07, 2004, 09:19:50 PM »

So sad to be all alone in the world.  Am now watching the documentary on Dragonheart and am happy to report that dear reader Pogue is in it - just not enough.  Mr. Director, however, is in it plenty, taking credit for everything.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #168 on: March 07, 2004, 09:20:36 PM »

Hmm... Phone Booth... Not bad.  Although the ending was... not really sure what to say...  I liked it... Then I thought about it, then I didn't like it... Then I liked it again..  -You get the picture...

As for Java issues - For some strange reason, Windows XP and/or Internet Explorer and WinXP will not properly execute some Java apps.  My brother who puts together systems for people has come across this issue a couple of times, and the "easiest" way he found to work around it was to uninstall either/or AOL, IE, Netscape, etc., and reinstall it... sometimes it takes a few times.  Also be sure to check that you have the latest updates for IE from Microsoft's Windows Update site.  In some instances, the Java apps may "appear" as a security issue for IE. Unfortunately, in some other cases, it may just be something flukey.

-And, I think I've stated this before, but I have never really had any major issues with Windows (I'm still using Win98SE), AOL (currently 9.0), Internet Explorer, etc.  And I never will.  Right?  Right?

Well, I need to tend to my still ebbing and flowing headache...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #169 on: March 07, 2004, 09:44:40 PM »

Geez, Jenny and I finally finished homework, and you wussburgers are all in bed!

der Brucer (who first typed "ho work", which could have led to some misunderstanding)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #170 on: March 07, 2004, 09:59:21 PM »

Here I thought this was a new documentary for Dragonheart, but alas, no, it was done for the laserdisc release.  At least the producer has the good taste to mention Pogue - the name Pogue is never uttered by Mr. Director.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #171 on: March 07, 2004, 10:00:06 PM »

Just saw a promo for the news "Don't open that email; it's a scam to steal your identity"  Then they showed a close-up of an email with "Pay-pal" in the headline.  Sound like anything that's been happening to some of you?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #172 on: March 07, 2004, 10:01:18 PM »

It means he really should switch to decaf.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #173 on: March 07, 2004, 10:13:55 PM »

Jenny responds to the pic der Brucer posted:
Sorry, SWW, but it sucks to be you.  :-*
It certainly sucked then.  The real cause was a gang of fag-bashers (the term "hate crime" hadn't been coined yet), not dried-out pork.  It was the bashing that made me reconsider and get out of the closet (like being IN the closet had really been any safer).  Funny, how these things balance out.

The pic was taken after the cast had been taken off.  We were using part of the cast as a brace, while my atrophied arm and shoulder muscles recouperated.

What was really fun was wearing that rig while my Dad took me to a Lions Club meeting.  The men there kept extending their hands in greeting...right hands, of course...and my own right hand was quite capable of poking them in the eye.  

DR JMK: I just hope Gabe doesn't have to wear anything as goofus as what I wore back then.  An extra set of vibes his way.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]
« Last Edit: March 07, 2004, 10:17:56 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #174 on: March 07, 2004, 10:39:03 PM »

I just stumbled across something that seems...well, strange.

According to this, at Bravo's own website, the Queer Eye for the Straight Guy guys are next going to take on...a male figure skater!

A male figure skater who took eight years to get around to marrying his girlfriend.

Like I say, it sounds strange.

Panni

« Reply #175 on: March 07, 2004, 10:56:04 PM »

Well, I'll say goodnight. No, I'm not wussing out and going to sleep, so no name-calling, please. I have a pretty bad stomach ache  - doubled over in pain bad. Have no idea why, but sitting at the computer sure doesn't help. I'm going to lie down until it goes away.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #176 on: March 07, 2004, 11:02:00 PM »

Take a Tums.  I am not doubled over in pain at this time.  Perhaps that is because I ate an artichoke.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #177 on: March 07, 2004, 11:10:35 PM »

Something else I just came across, that BK will particularly be interested in, is the following DVD review.

Oh, I am so very, very evil!   8)  ;D  8)

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #178 on: March 07, 2004, 11:13:51 PM »

I am going to bed.  I am a Wussburger...I am a Wussburger with cheese...I am a Wussburger with cheese and bacon AND a side of Weenie-fries.  I sound rather tasty...
Goodnight

Charles Pogue

« Reply #179 on: March 07, 2004, 11:45:34 PM »

Bk, I just couldn't bear to listen to the commentary so I never have...for the very reason you state.  The director from the first day of pre-production started taking credit for everything.  Forget that both the producer and I and the original director spent four years of our life on it before he ever came aboard.   If you listen to him, you'd think he taught the actors how to act, fed the crew, built the sets, designed everything, took the tickets at the box-office.  He is a vicious, venal, vile, virtuperative little blowhard of a human being (and I use the word "human Being" in its minimal, basest biological sense), IMHO, who if he couldn't take credit for everyone else's talent would try to diminish it.  Not an ounce of poetry in his soul and a thoroughly nasty piece of work.  I have never seen a cast and crew so united in their antipathy for a director before.  But he is merely a man who cannot rise above his mediocrity.

The producer who actually had knew what she had is really at fault.  She abandoned her passion and power to capitulate to the director's petty ego and descend to his mediocrity.  She told me once in Bratislava at dinner, "Rob pisses around on your script because he is jealous of your talent and he is afraid of you."  Which was true, but when I asked her very sensibly then why did she allow him to piss around on the script (at one time she told him, he'd "butchered" it), she said:  "It's the process."  One needs a producer who knows the difference between collaboration and compromise and keep firm in the fray and not become the Queen of Capitulation.

The worst cast member...almost despised as much as the director was the actress playing the girl...so many of her scenes (and more important, Dennis' good scenes) got cut  because of her performance.  Dennis was a hard-working trouper and a consummate professional.  Can't say enough good about him.  Pete Posthlethwaite, Jason Isaacs, and David Thewlis were all great, but hampered by such bad direction.  The funniest breakfast I've ever had was with Pete and David bitching about the director.  Thewlis said, "I feel like I'm shouting all the time." Pete's comment about the director was: :"Just figure out where to put the camera, mate, and let us do the thinking."

I have avoided the commentary because I knew it would be a pack of lies.  The reason there is only ten seconds of me is because they were desperately trying to muzzle me.  I wasn't even going to be included until I raised a stink to the WGA.  They filmed an hour's interview with me of which you get just that one clip.

Worst things about the movie are all the nuances are gone, the connective tissue, emotional subtlety, and what one critic called "the plough-horse direction".  No poetry of soul, no delicacy.  Oh, and, of course, the pigs scene.  This was an inspiration of the director's he thought it would be funny if a village of starving peasants was full of pigs, despite the fact that once the villagers think the dragon is dead they rush it saying "Meat, Meat, Meat."  We all told him it made no sense, but he's the type of person that rather than admit he's wrong would entrench more adamantly into his position.  He thought we were trying to make him look stupid, we kept saying:  "No we're trying to make you look smart!"  One astute  reviewer noticed this glaring inconsistency of idiocy.  I write about what went wrong with this and other things in my forward of the published screenplay (which has no pigs in it). But this idiotic gap of logic that everone let slide rather than force the director to get rid of it tells the tale of DRAGONHEART.  Let's knowingly do something that's wrong rather than put of with the aggravation of reining in a childish, egomaniacal direction.

One last story.  One day the producer was commenting on how much she like the storyboard artist's work.  The director, full of umbrage, immediately piped up:  "But I told her what to draw!"

Ugh!  Bad Karma!  Oh, now you made me dredge all this shit up again.  I need an acid reducer.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up