Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: BIDIN' MY TIME  (Read 23898 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:BIDIN' MY TIME
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2004, 03:53:24 PM »

Or was it the bitter tea of Robert Plant?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2004, 03:53:46 PM »

Or was it the bitter plant of Dr. T?

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2004, 03:56:56 PM »

I'm back from visiting Joe, and I will tell you all the bad news some other time.

I myself have never been a huge Sinatra fan.  As far as Ratpackers are concerned, I much prefer Sammy Davis, with or without the Jr.  I will, however, jump into the fray and come out in favor of High Society, which I always found delightful, especially Sinatra and Celeste.  Der Binger is, of course, playing Der Binger.  Not to be confused with Der Brucer, who plays Der Brucer.

Sinatra changing lyrics?  Well, on one occasion, I think he improved them, and--pray I don't get struck by lightning!--it was a Sondheim song, Good Thing Going.  Sondheim wrote, "alright, tough" and Frank changed it to "okay, tough", which I think gives the line more bite because of the palatal stop (k).

Having seen the film of New York, New York, the title song belongs exclusively to Liza for me, and Frank's version is always very sad, because you can hear his voice going, and all I can think is, "What he would have done with this song ten years earlier!"

HUAC:  Far be it from me to pass up a chance for self-promotion.  This is a lyric I wrote some years ago, never been set, for a show concerning that political era.  The show may yet see light of day:

Are you now, or have you ever been
In love with me?
Did we both ever take an oath
Of loyalty?
Don't refuse to answer on the grounds
That this line of questioning
Is out of bounds.

Do you now, or did you in the past
Betray my love?
No more games:  time for naming names.
(See list above.)
Does your heart possess the need to know
That I sought its violent
Overthrow?

Swear that you renounce the party line,
Or you may be pressured to resign.
Are you now, or
Have you
Ever been
Mine?

All these years we two have shared the load,
Fellow-travelers on a crooked road.
Read this through with care before you sign.
Are you now, or
Have you
Ever been
Mine?

© 2004 William F. Orr
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Danise

« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2004, 04:02:22 PM »

Continued good vibes to Joe, William F. Orr.  

So Bruce, how about the answer to my question?

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2004, 04:13:01 PM »

Thanks, Danise.
--Wayland Flowers

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2004, 04:24:30 PM »

What question, Danise?  Did I miss a question?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2004, 04:30:57 PM »

DRNOEL - I would say a suit with a jacket and a nice hat and gloves.

This Trigere would be just the thing....for a TALL girl anyway!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2004, 04:31:22 PM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2004, 04:30:57 PM »

Panni, I was also in the wilds of Glendale...Brand Boulevard...where apparently Mr. Kimmel and I passed like ships in the night, just missing each other at our favourite bookstore, Bookfellows.  Christine said you had been in earlier and were I guess showing off the cover (and my blurb) and discussing your upcoming signing.  While there, they had a reading going on with four mystery authors.  A word of advice to BK or any other authors...never, ever do a tag-team reading/signing with other authors...first of all, it puts you in competition for the buyers and you don't want to be the sad one there, not getting your books bought and twiddling your thumbs instead of signing.  Secondly, it cuts into your reading time when four authors have to share it.  Thirdly, it just didn't seem like there was a lot of buying /signing going on.  I would think that a potential buyer might be intimidated, not wanting to buy anyone's book for fear of hurting the feelings of the other authors.

Since I told you my least favourite  Cole Porter song is  True Love, tis only fair to say that my favourite Cole Porter songs are Night & Day, I Am In Love, and So Near and Yet So Far.  I was listening to them in the car on the way home...Ella on I Am In Love and Bobby Short on So Near and Yet So Far and Mr. Sinatra on Night & Day.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2004, 04:34:17 PM by Charles Pogue »

Danise

« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2004, 04:31:52 PM »

Your welcome, Mr. Orr.  I do so hope the time goes by quick.  How much longer?

The question was:

Question for you, Bruce--why did you choose Adkins over South Beach?  I read both books and choose South Beach because it seemed so close to what I already eat.  I didn't think I would have a hard time sticking with it and that's very true.  I don't really feel like I'm on a diet.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2004, 04:33:53 PM »

Right now...my favorite Cole Porter (Indiana native, you know) song is "Madame I Love Your Crepe Suzettes".

But I have a fondness for many including "I Get a Kick Out of You" and "So In Love" and of course "Friendship."

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2004, 04:33:58 PM »

Here it is, Bruce, you old Evelyn Wood speed reader, you:
Question for you, Bruce--why did you choose Adkins over South Beach?  I read both books and choose South Beach because it seemed so close to what I already eat.  I didn't think I would have a hard time sticking with it and that's very true.  I don't really feel like I'm on a diet.  

--Wayland Flowers

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2004, 04:34:49 PM »

Actually, I think I'm closer to the South Beach than Atkins.  It's working VERY slowly, but it's working.

Pogue, too bad I missed you.  I hate signings with more than one author, which is why I do them solo only.  

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2004, 04:39:22 PM »

Well, if we are talking unfavorite Cole Porter songs, the all-time number-one I-can't-believe-he-actually-wrote-that composition from any composer has to be "The Red Blues" from Silk Stockings.
--Wayland Flowers

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2004, 04:44:20 PM »

For those who are not TIVOing at this very moment, Fox Classic movies is showing a divoon double bill and I do mean DIVOON!  And that double bill is: Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter and The Girl Can't Help It, both starring Miss Jayne Mansfield and Tony Randall, and both brilliantly directed by Tish-Tash himself, Mr. Frank Tashlin.

Tony Randall re Miss Mansfield: Miss Marlowe is the titular head of the company.

Miss Mansfield:  Oooooooh.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2004, 04:45:54 PM »

Oh, and would you like to know who you missed at Du-Par's?  Well, I'll tell you who you missed.  Mr. Curtis Harrington, director of What's the Matter with Helen and Games.  And my pal, Mr. David Lee, creator of Frazier, who's about to direct the Reprise! Company and then 110 In the Shade at the Pasadena Playhouse.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2004, 04:48:54 PM »

No, DR Bill O., I think "Ritz Rock and Roll" (same film) is worse.  The only reason for it's existance was to put Astaire in a top hat yet again, but it's otherwise lame.  "Red Blues" at least has a good rhythm riff that sets off the dancing.

Again, good vibes to Joe.
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2004, 04:56:41 PM »

I've come across another example of the lack of film history that too many film reviewers suffer from.  This time, the example is the CNN review of Hidalgo.

Consider the following extract:

...Lawrence of Arabia obviously springs to mind, especially with Omar Sharif playing the powerful Sheikh Riyadh, against whose horses Hopkins is competing. (It is marvelous, though, to see Sharif's formidable presence on the big screen again after nearly a decade-long absence, and the role is a perfect fit.)...

End extract.

Uhh, someone should tell this "reviewer" that Mr. Sharif appeared in the charming Monsieur Ibrahim, in the lead and titular role.....last year.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2004, 05:17:42 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2004, 04:59:02 PM »

There is an up side to setting a new record for low posts, of course.

We won't have to worry about setting a new low post record for quite a while!  

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,50%] ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D[/move]
[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,75%] 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)[/move]
[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%] ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)[/move]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2004, 05:08:29 PM »

I found it....here I am making a professional theatre debut in October, 1985, in Lanford Wilson's BALM IN GILEAD at the Phoenix Theatre in Indianapolis.  I am at the left side of the picture on a bar stool talking to some cohorts....down front and center is my lovely friend Marika Blades, one of the best actresses I have ever worked with....and a great, great pal!  ;D

Photo was featured in Theatre The Human Art by Sam Smiley.

Danise

« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2004, 05:10:24 PM »

Just had to go outside to get Bear to come back in the house.  He does that sometimes.  I found him on the other side of the house next to the fence.

We have a full moon and sea fog is rolling in. It looks like werewolf movie.   LOL!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2004, 05:14:45 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #80 on: March 06, 2004, 05:10:54 PM »

Yes, watching that myself, Mr BK.  

Lovely quote...and another favorite....

"I'll tell you, if you would just let get a word in sideways......"

"Don't talk dirty....you can always tell a writer...."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #81 on: March 06, 2004, 05:43:32 PM »

Good Evening!

-I'm here, I'm here... But I'm also about to head down to the hotel bar for a cocktail... or two... or three...

Unfortunately, today seemed to be the "less talented" day... as well as the "stupid people" day.  I was actually getting upset and angry with the people in the afternoon groups.  Stupid song choices.  Bad(!) copies.  Bad(!!) singing.  Bad acting.  Bad acting of the songs.  Or no acting at all.  And, unfortunately, for some of the students who went this afternoon, bad(!!!!) teaching and coaching.  What some of these "kids" brought in in regards to song choice, and how they were told to perform their songs was simply unbelievable at times.  I was starting to get mad at their teachers and coaches.  In particular, there was one batch of students from one school who happened to be all in the same audition group, and out of about ten of them, only one really had any chance of securing a callback.

Oh, and only four more "Gimme, Gimme's" today.  Oh, and about another four or five "I Want To Be Bad" - and for a few them, that was, unfortunately, a very apt song.  UGH!  ;)

Well, I have a Tanqueray and tonic calling me...

I'll list my Sinatra choices when I get back.
Make Your Own Luck.

Michael

« Reply #82 on: March 06, 2004, 05:43:46 PM »

Talking HUAC I watch them film The Front the other day. Interesting film and the fact that the writer, director and several actors in the film were actually blacklisted.
Never stop dreaming.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #83 on: March 06, 2004, 05:54:49 PM »

Oh, and would you like to know who you missed at Du-Par's?  Well, I'll tell you who you missed.  Mr. Curtis Harrington, director of What's the Matter with Helen and Games.  And my pal, Mr. David Lee, creator of Frazier, who's about to direct the Reprise! Company and then 110 In the Shade at the Pasadena Playhouse.
Oh who cares about them! You missed Anna Sandor, screenwriter divine, world-class raconteur, and Jayne Mansfield look-alike.

Panni

« Reply #84 on: March 06, 2004, 06:01:21 PM »

Danise - Yes, I've lost my luggage. I think most people who travel fairly often have had that nasty experience. If it happens - and it probably won't  - you report it to the airline at the airport and give them a number where you can be reached. Usually it's just been put on the wrong plane and will be redirected to the right destination once it's located. Then they bring it to your hotel. Meanwhile, if you need something urgently - like pajamas, underwear, toothpaste - you buy what you require, keep the receipts and submit the bill to the airline. They should reimburse you. There's a ceiling as to how much they will fork out, so don't buy silk designer pajamas. But - as I said - it's unlikely that will happen to you.
Congratulations on the new do!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: March 06, 2004, 06:02:28 PM »

I got me a Dragonheart Franchise double-bill, that's what I got me.  I got me the original The Big Bounce, that's what I got me.

Panni

« Reply #86 on: March 06, 2004, 06:08:41 PM »

WFO - Good vibes to Joe and to you. And I like your lyrics!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2004, 06:09:56 PM by Panni »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #87 on: March 06, 2004, 06:15:16 PM »

Please note...I had nothing to do with the so-called sequel to DRAGONHEART.  Christine at BOOKFELLOWS today asked when I was going t write my next novel because she LOVES my DRAGONHEART novel...She perked right up when I told her that the last time I talk to Penquin/Putnam (what? three/four yrs ago) they told me they still had 2,500 of the books in their warehouse.  Maybe she'll order them and we can get another printing going.  It did get to five printings initially.

Panni

« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2004, 06:19:21 PM »

A word of advice to BK or any other authors...never, ever do a tag-team reading/signing with other authors...

The only book signing I ever did was just such a thing -- but it was for a mystery anthology and we were all in the SAME book.
The signing was still not a huge success, however, because they placed the table in the middle of a department store in Toronto (Simpson's for those in TO) and shoppers walked around the "table of authors" as if we were carrying the bubonic plague. It was quite humiliating. I kept the poster for the signing for years, just to keep me humble -- threw it out just before moving back here.  

Panni

« Reply #89 on: March 06, 2004, 06:22:08 PM »

FS Pogue - Saw your name on a soundtrack record of THE FLY today.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up