Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Down

Author Topic: T-MINUS TWO TO 2009  (Read 38750 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: T-MINUS TWO TO 2009
« Reply #300 on: December 30, 2008, 07:12:16 PM »

So, the brand new light rail system opened on Saturday, and the first train/car collision was today.

???

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #301 on: December 30, 2008, 07:12:46 PM »

I'm also watching the Kennedy Center Honors.  It gets my goat how they always get the honorees they (CBS) believes are the least interesting to viewers out of the way in the first 35 minutes before moving on to the Big Stars. 

And I still wish that "they" would broadcast the complete tributes. Or at least make them available to view online or even on DVD.  Alas, for broadcast purposes, some segments get edited out.  -As well as re-shot and re-performed after the ceremony if needed.

*I still remember one year where they opened the ceremony with a performance by one of the service bands, and the engineers noticed that the audio was not working properly.  So, they had to make the band stay for the whole ceremony to do a major "pick up" afterwards.  -And since most of the band members were also members of the A.F.M., the musician's union, well... Can you say, "Overtime"?

They did not, however, retape the disastrous Jessica Simpson "tribute" to Dolly Parton a few years ago.

Ugh--Laura Bush...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #302 on: December 30, 2008, 07:12:57 PM »

Oh, nevermind...  The Kennedy Center Honors are held in the Opera House - which is a HUGE theater.
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #303 on: December 30, 2008, 07:14:14 PM »

I just adore Morgan Freeman.   Yes, I'm watching the Kennedy Center Honors

Me too.  -And I'm always amazed at just how big the Kennedy Center's Eisenhower Theater looks on TV.  It's not a small theater by any means, but it practically looks like the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion.

Whichever theater it is, it's where I saw my first "Broadway" show...Annie in 1977 before it went to Broadway

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #304 on: December 30, 2008, 07:14:27 PM »

I'm also watching the Kennedy Center Honors.  It gets my goat how they always get the honorees they (CBS) believes are the least interesting to viewers out of the way in the first 35 minutes before moving on to the Big Stars. 

And I still wish that "they" would broadcast the complete tributes. Or at least make them available to view online or even on DVD.  Alas, for broadcast purposes, some segments get edited out.  -As well as re-shot and re-performed after the ceremony if needed.

*I still remember one year where they opened the ceremony with a performance by one of the service bands, and the engineers noticed that the audio was not working properly.  So, they had to make the band stay for the whole ceremony to do a major "pick up" afterwards.  -And since most of the band members were also members of the A.F.M., the musician's union, well... Can you say, "Overtime"?

They did not, however, retape the disastrous Jessica Simpson "tribute" to Dolly Parton a few years ago.

Well, that was because Dolly Parton didn't mind the whole "mess", and, frankly, it was only Jessica Simpson - she was supposed to suck.
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #305 on: December 30, 2008, 07:16:20 PM »

So, the brand new light rail system opened on Saturday, and the first train/car collision was today.

What took so long?

Cillaliz

« Reply #306 on: December 30, 2008, 07:16:45 PM »

I'm surprised it took this long!

LOL. I should have read before posting!

Cillaliz

« Reply #307 on: December 30, 2008, 07:19:10 PM »

I never thought a tribute to The Who could make me get choked up and a little teary, but it did

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #308 on: December 30, 2008, 07:20:41 PM »

The retaping of the entertainment tributes probably explains how exquisitely the "Sinatra Suite" segment was done.  Full stage shots to give a feeling of the space used, focus on the two dancers and close-ups only when appropriate--that had to be done through a controlled retaping and editing.  If that was done on any other show, there would have been clumsy shots from the pit along with someone with a mini-cam running around the stage with the dancers.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #309 on: December 30, 2008, 07:24:12 PM »

Should we have put *** SPOILER WARNINGS *** around these posts about the show?
-- Anaïs Nin

Jane

« Reply #310 on: December 30, 2008, 07:27:15 PM »

Several Christmas cards were late in arriving this years, cards which normally arrive on time & have been doing so for years and years.  Of course these three cards gave us some concern.  Two were from women I have known almost my entire life.  Those, to my relief, arrived yesterday.  The third one didn’t.  Keith did an internet search this morning & sadly found this person in the L.A. Times obituaries from November.  Don was Keith’s boss at Caltech, the person who gave him his first job after he graduated.  He was a wonderful person & we will miss him.  We didn’t see him often, still it is very sad to know we will never see him again.

Jane

« Reply #311 on: December 30, 2008, 07:27:31 PM »

'night

Cillaliz

« Reply #312 on: December 30, 2008, 07:27:37 PM »

I don't think we really gave anything away. 

Cillaliz

« Reply #313 on: December 30, 2008, 07:30:14 PM »

So sorry DR Jane, and sorry Keith had to find out through a google search

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #314 on: December 30, 2008, 07:33:09 PM »

The retaping of the entertainment tributes probably explains how exquisitely the "Sinatra Suite" segment was done.  Full stage shots to give a feeling of the space used, focus on the two dancers and close-ups only when appropriate--that had to be done through a controlled retaping and editing.  If that was done on any other show, there would have been clumsy shots from the pit along with someone with a mini-cam running around the stage with the dancers.

Well, they are really good at "hiding" the cameras they use to tape the ceremony.  And, as The Met broadcasts have proven, some of the new cameras can get quite close-up even from the top balcony.  But I'm also guessing they taped some of that in the rehearsal just to have "just in case".
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #315 on: December 30, 2008, 07:34:13 PM »

I didn't think the SOUND OF MUSIC redub would be for EVERYONE.......sorry that you didn't like it, DRs JANE and TCB.....I will try to do better on my next link!

Don't let my lack of a sense of humor stop you.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #316 on: December 30, 2008, 07:39:31 PM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DAKOTA CELT!
“One thing’s universal,

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #317 on: December 30, 2008, 07:39:54 PM »

Was it icy?
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #318 on: December 30, 2008, 07:40:37 PM »

Oh, I almost forgot to mention........ I am now the executor of Stan's estate.  JOY!
“One thing’s universal,

Cillaliz

« Reply #319 on: December 30, 2008, 07:42:37 PM »

Was it icy?

In Phoenix?

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #320 on: December 30, 2008, 07:42:47 PM »

Several Christmas cards were late in arriving this years, cards which normally arrive on time & have been doing so for years and years.  Of course these three cards gave us some concern.  Two were from women I have known almost my entire life.  Those, to my relief, arrived yesterday.  The third one didn’t.  Keith did an internet search this morning & sadly found this person in the L.A. Times obituaries from November.  Don was Keith’s boss at Caltech, the person who gave him his first job after he graduated.  He was a wonderful person & we will miss him.  We didn’t see him often, still it is very sad to know we will never see him again.

I am sorry to hear about the passing of your dear freind Jane. My condolences to you and Keith.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #321 on: December 30, 2008, 07:43:07 PM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DAKOTA CELT!

Thank you TCB!

Cillaliz

« Reply #322 on: December 30, 2008, 07:43:16 PM »

Dakota, did you have a good birthday?  Hope so

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #323 on: December 30, 2008, 07:43:39 PM »

Stranger things have happened.....

Cillaliz

« Reply #324 on: December 30, 2008, 07:44:04 PM »

Stranger things have happened.....

ESPECIALLY in Phoenix

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #325 on: December 30, 2008, 07:44:13 PM »

We have had a thunderstorm in December before...

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #326 on: December 30, 2008, 07:46:33 PM »

Alright, I wonder which female singers are gonna have the nerve to pay tribute to La Striesand?
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #327 on: December 30, 2008, 07:47:05 PM »

Oh, I almost forgot to mention........ I am now the executor of Stan's estate.  JOY!

Oy.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #328 on: December 30, 2008, 07:52:07 PM »

Alright, I wonder which female singers are gonna have the nerve to pay tribute to La Striesand?

Well, from what I understand, it was which singers actually said, "Yes", to the producers after being asked/told they would be singing for La Streisand.

Although, Idina... Well... But Beyoncé... Hmmm.. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #329 on: December 30, 2008, 07:52:19 PM »

Watching Mannix.  Current guest stars are Slim Pickens and John Dehner.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Up