Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: BIG NOISE  (Read 27479 times)

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
Re:BIG NOISE
« Reply #180 on: March 09, 2004, 09:26:56 PM »

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, WFO. You were a great blessing to her in her time of need.  Sometimes the family we choose is better than the family we are born into. Peace and blessings to you all.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #181 on: March 09, 2004, 09:32:24 PM »

So Bruce, How many carbs in a stuffed envelope?

I had read a long time ago that the glue on stamps from Israel is kosher.  Just had to share.

Paul Winfield was also in “Star Trek: TWOK”, If I remember correctly.  BTW, My favorite Star Trek:TNG was “The Inner Light”.  The one where Picard get’s hit by the beam of a probe and lives a whole life in a matter of 20 minutes.  I cry every time I see that one.  When he’s an old man and all of his old friends in that “life” come back after being gone for years and years.  

I wish I could get a copy of that one show on DVD.  I found it on the set but I don’t really want to buy the whole season.

I love the "Inner Light" episode.  I also thought that it was pretty cool when they cast Patrick Stewart's real son as the character's son in the episode.

As for getting the individual episode on DVD (the VHS is available on Amazon.com) but (shhh...don't tell anyone ::)) if you or someone you know has a DVD burner, you could copy the one episode from the whole-season-DVD onto a recordable DVD.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #182 on: March 09, 2004, 09:37:11 PM »

Panni sends good vibes to WFO and Joe.  She's having computer issues.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #183 on: March 09, 2004, 10:02:29 PM »

It won't be long now:

How long is the trip tp Denmark? When you get back we'll throw a party and Call You Madam - a Wayland Flowers reference)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #184 on: March 09, 2004, 10:09:45 PM »

All the jpegs I post here are on my hard drive.  I don't have a clue how to post them at the DVD place because that site requires a URL address.

The solution is easy: you cozy up to someone like JRand or me and say, "Please, sir, will you host my pictures?" Then you EMail the files to your new best-friend, he will host them and send you a URL you can use to reference them elsewhere. If groveling does not become you, you could subscribe to a hosting service like PictureTrail.com ( $20/yr) and do the dirty deed yourself.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #185 on: March 09, 2004, 10:09:48 PM »

The tricky thing about American Idol tonight is that four will advance, but three will be selected by the judges and they wouldn't give us any hints as to who they'll pick.

My favorite of the group: Jon Peter Lewis.  I think he has the most potential because he's the one who puts himself out there and has a powerful voice that he has yet to put to a proper test.  Still, his performances have been unique and he has presence.

I, too, thought Suzy was terrific.

I voted for both of them in hopes that one of the will be an audience favorite.

Jennifer will be put through by the judges, as will Leah (who doesn't deserve it, I don't think).  Matthew is a lanky body, a huge smile that reminds me too much of Matthew McConnaghey with a Tom Cruise attitude.  It also takes talent and his is meager.  He whisper sings...and it's because he doesn't have range or power.

George....sorry, but he's pedestrian, to borrow a word.  Back line of the Temptations, indeed.

Lisa Leuchner (wasn't Lisa Lubner a Gilda Radner character on SNL?????) was a shocking omission.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #186 on: March 09, 2004, 10:19:00 PM »

Thanks to all for your condolences and kind remarks.  Condolences to George for the loss of your grandmother so far away.  

td:  Thanks for the John Dunne.  There is a lot in that poem, and I will have to reread it once I am more focused.

Dick Van Dyke is singing "Put on a Happy Face" in the other room, and that is so much better than "Lost in the Stars", which I've been humming all evening.  Well, better at this moment, I mean, because LitS is one of my favorite songs, but probably the saddest one ever written.

It is amazing to me that I can feel so much closer to people I've never seen, kilobytes of data zipping through the ether, as it were, than many that I see every day in the flesh.  But there you have it.

Hey, too many people forget that we're all in this together, and no one gets out alive.

DR FS Charles Pogue:  There is a limit to the size of a picture you can put in your profile.  I've resized your "serious writer" pic and will send it to you if you send me your e-mail address.

I'm in my pajamas, but it's a bit late to party, so the sack and the hay are about to be hit and hit hard.  Party on, dudes and dudettes!

Oh, and >HUGS<[/color]
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Jed

« Reply #187 on: March 09, 2004, 10:29:15 PM »

The best of all possible wishes (almost a Candide reference) to WFO, Joe and family.  Also to George and his family.  A somber evening at HHW.  Hopefully tomorrow will be a "C'mon, get happy!!!" day for us all.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #188 on: March 09, 2004, 10:44:55 PM »

I'm finally back on!

WFO - So very very sorry for everything you and Joe are going through.  I'm thinking of you. Please accept my heartfelt condolences.

Panni

« Reply #189 on: March 09, 2004, 10:57:33 PM »

I just got OS 10 and AOL 9.0 this afternoon. Soon I'll be getting a Cable Modem. The kinks will have to be worked out. The first kink was trying to get back here. But with the help of bk, Mark and the French Foreign Legion, it's done. Wheww!
Thank you, all.

Everybody's in show business. The man who installed the software into my computer was telling me that he had optioned a musical, The Woman I Love, about Wallis Simpson and the Prince of Wales.

Panni

« Reply #190 on: March 09, 2004, 11:03:49 PM »

Omigod! I just looked at the clock. How did it get to be 11?!  I haven't even finished eating supper. Stopped with the computer problems and never got back to it.

My daughter's on her way to Hungary tonight. That's such a strange feeling for me. My stomach's all in knots. The best place and the worst place all rolled into one. She called me from the airport and I gave her the most useful advice a mother can give -- taught her how to ask in Hungarian, "Where is the bathroom, please?"

Tomovoz

« Reply #191 on: March 09, 2004, 11:05:11 PM »

DR Panni, I wonder if it is the musical "Always" by William May and Jason Sprague (1997). It was "workshopped" here in Melbourne in 1994.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

« Reply #192 on: March 09, 2004, 11:05:27 PM »

Okay, enough of the monologue. Glad to be back. I'm going to eat my late supper or early breakfast.

Panni

« Reply #193 on: March 09, 2004, 11:07:30 PM »

DR Panni, I wonder if it is the musical "Always" by William May and Jason Sprague (1997). It was "workshopped" here in Melbourne in 1994.

That's not the title he used. They workshopped it here in the last few years. He said it was first written in the 1970's.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #194 on: March 09, 2004, 11:11:37 PM »

If it's the show they did at the Pasadena Playhouse three or four years ago, it is the WORST piece of crap.  They tried to get me to do the CD for ages, and I just couldn't.  I offered them suggestions on how to at least help the show, but they thought it was fine.  It wasn't.

Tomovoz

« Reply #195 on: March 09, 2004, 11:14:04 PM »

Not the first time a few musicals have been centred on the same events. I loved the play "Crown Matrimonial" (early 1970s) based on teh same events.
Have you had a chance to catch up with the work of Stephen Poliakov yet Panni? His "The Lost Prince" is wonderful and very moving - a forgotten piece of British 2oth Century royal history.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

« Reply #196 on: March 09, 2004, 11:15:56 PM »

How many Wallis and Ed musicals ARE there? I just looked up an article on the Internet and they're everywhere! This wasn't at the Pasadena Playhouse. He mentioned the theater, said it was old and beautiful. Said the songs were prerecorded by singers and the actors sang over the recordings? Sounds strange.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #197 on: March 09, 2004, 11:18:05 PM »

Well, the Pasadena Playhouse is old and beautiful, but the singers didn't mouth the songs, certainly, as they were good singers and, as I recall, there was a small band.  It was Stan Chandler and Shirley Knight's daughter, whose name escapes me - Caitlin something?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #198 on: March 09, 2004, 11:18:16 PM »

Yes, Kaitlin Hopkins

Panni

« Reply #199 on: March 09, 2004, 11:18:40 PM »

Have you had a chance to catch up with the work of Stephen Poliakov yet Panni? His "The Lost Prince" is wonderful and very moving - a forgotten piece of British 2oth Century royal history.
No, I haven't. But he should be among the plosive contingent in bk's lyrics..."Panni and Pogue and Poliakov"....If only Danny Kaye were still alive...

Panni

« Reply #200 on: March 09, 2004, 11:20:06 PM »

Different musical, bk. Probably even worse than the one you're speaking of.

Tomovoz

« Reply #201 on: March 09, 2004, 11:21:11 PM »

Sounds very odd indeed! The link between Edward and Hitler is interesting - it is brought up again in "Cambridge Spies" (more excellent writing for TV).
Perhaps it could me more of a crossover between the love story and "Sprintime For Hitler".
About time I called it a night too. Or maybe I will call it something else. Dinner time.
James Thurber 1957

Panni

« Reply #202 on: March 09, 2004, 11:25:41 PM »

Good night, tomovoz!

Panni

« Reply #203 on: March 09, 2004, 11:27:36 PM »

Okay, I'm postively light headed and must eat.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #204 on: March 09, 2004, 11:38:15 PM »

I'm going to say goodnight.  It's been quite a weird day today.  Goodnight all.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up