Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: THE THREE Z'S  (Read 24729 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re: THE THREE Z'S
« Reply #120 on: January 23, 2009, 10:55:28 AM »

DR Ron Pulliam - Does your jury duty happen to "work" with your current workload at work?  Will it be easy to catch up on things once you return?

It's no different from going away on a two-week vacation.  They let things that can wait build in my inbox and they get agency assistance for things that can't. 

I've pretty much given them all a pep talk and told them they CAN figure things out if they get used to the idea that I'm not here to tell them/show them how.   It's like that in every work place.  I don't like it when folks say, "What will we do if you're not here?"  I never tell them exactly what I'd "like" for them to do, so I encourage them to experiment with different means of finding ways of handling stuff.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #121 on: January 23, 2009, 10:56:29 AM »

Page 5 "Never Tell Them What You THINK They Should Do" Dance
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #122 on: January 23, 2009, 11:00:16 AM »

As an "Oh! By the way":

I have still not recovered form this malady of chest cold hell.  While I do feel, most of the time, a whole lot better, I still have some rather unsettling moments where I feel sweaty/clammy, nauseous and desperately in need of air and a  lie-down. 

I had a rather bad 30 minutes in court yesterday after lunch during which time I was fighting to keep my head up and my eyes open along with feeling clammy and nauseous.  This was relieved by a short break as the judge met with one prospective juror and the attorneys in her chambers.  I was able to get some water, stand up and stretch and my sense of well-being was restored.

Cillaliz

« Reply #123 on: January 23, 2009, 11:01:10 AM »

Re being spied on through email, phone calls, etc:

Is anyone surprised? I expect every communication we have might be intercepted. Even in our own homes.

Now, I don't say this because I'm paranoid, but "they" did bug our local Serial Shooters' apartment to get evidence to catch them.

And I believe that email and cell phones just make it easier.

Personally, I am not worried, because I wear my aluminum foil hat, so it keeps the radio waves out (an Even Mecham reference that probably only Cillaliz and Kerry would remember).

Yeah, but it didn't work for Mecham, they still intercepted his brain waves. :)   

I've seen intecepted communications in court and in discovery files for years.  They can't always get them into evidence, but it doesn't mean they don't have them.   I also know that in some of our courtrooms and public buildings there are mics in places and they can be monitored if they want to.   I don't know if they do, but they can.   I don't assume anything is private anymore,

Cillaliz

« Reply #124 on: January 23, 2009, 11:02:43 AM »

dR Jose was kind enough to post a story about a new PC virus...and taking, yet again, another opportunity to express his delight that he has a MAC.

I'm forced to point out, however, that in all the years I've posted to this forum, I've had NOWHERE near the kinds of problems that our MAC users have posted about.

So....there it is.

And my Windows PC automatically downloads critical patches, so I don't have to go looking for them :)

Cillaliz

« Reply #125 on: January 23, 2009, 11:03:48 AM »

So....I've been sworn in as a juror.  Today is "dark" for our courtoom and the trial begins bright and early (9 a.m.) Monday.

Two days (count 'em TWO) of interviewing.  To seat 12 jurors and 2 alternates, we endured the lengthy questioning procedures of nearly 70 people.

They dismissed 48 people from our original group to get 12 and called in another 60 to find the two alternates they require.  Fortunately, the alternates were picked from among the first 6 interviewed.  So there's a mercy.

We've been told to expect to begin deliberations sometime on Thursday.  The judge does not anticipate we should need more than Friday to come to a verdict.

We shall see.

Enjoy DR Ron,  I think it would be very interesting to be on a jury panel, but alas, I don't think I will ever be selected

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #126 on: January 23, 2009, 11:05:24 AM »

Or that I can just walk in, do my job and leave without really caring.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that's DAW's new philosophy.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Cillaliz

« Reply #127 on: January 23, 2009, 11:07:54 AM »

I wonder if I would be chosen as a juror if I told them that I make movies about the failings of our judicial system and which are supported by anti-death penalty groups?

But can you be fair and impartial in determining whether the grocery store was at fault for the plaintiff slipping on a grape and injuring her back?

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #128 on: January 23, 2009, 11:08:10 AM »

They all come back eventually, like the swallows to Capistrano.

And like herpes infections.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Cillaliz

« Reply #129 on: January 23, 2009, 11:08:14 AM »

Edisaurus, you certainly could be on a jury about cement, like I was. They rarely sentence people to death for that.

:)

Cillaliz

« Reply #130 on: January 23, 2009, 11:11:46 AM »

Gotta run, I'm going to be late to court...but wanted to say thanks for the vibes for my brother. He called this morning and hopes to be going home today.  He sounded pretty good. 

DAW

« Reply #131 on: January 23, 2009, 11:12:51 AM »

I'm a picky bitch

And THAT'S my new philosophy!    :D

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #132 on: January 23, 2009, 11:13:22 AM »

Friday morning greetings!  Today will be a day of puttering for me - I'm trying to shovel out the room where I've piled all the stuff I brought home from work.  Why have I kept all these papers?

TOD - DVD - Wall-E and Season 2, Disc 2 of Bones

Did you get my suggestion email? You never responded!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #133 on: January 23, 2009, 11:17:13 AM »

And my Windows PC automatically downloads critical patches, so I don't have to go looking for them :)

Me too, but we always knew we were the smart ones :)

der Brucer

DAW

« Reply #134 on: January 23, 2009, 11:18:50 AM »

thanks for the vibes for my brother. He called this morning and hopes to be going home today.  He sounded pretty good. 

Now that's great news!    :)

DAW

« Reply #135 on: January 23, 2009, 11:19:45 AM »

we always knew we were the smart ones

And were you teacher's pet, too?     ;)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #136 on: January 23, 2009, 11:22:51 AM »

I've seen intecepted communications in court and in discovery files for years.  They can't always get them into evidence, but it doesn't mean they don't have them.   I also know that in some of our courtrooms and public buildings there are mics in places and they can be monitored if they want to.   I don't know if they do, but they can.   I don't assume anything is private anymore,

I think electronic intercepts are much like some forms of interrogation - balancing the admissibility of trial evidence against the intel value of the data obtained. At times, losing conviction opportunities is a price worth paying for the intel.

der Brucer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #137 on: January 23, 2009, 11:23:56 AM »

I've written about three pages and will now take a little break, after which I shall try to write three more pages, after which I shall be through for the day.  I'm about to write a character that I absolutely adore - I just introduced him a page ago and what fun he is.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #138 on: January 23, 2009, 11:23:57 AM »

I hope it was a show tune...

Perhaps the "Cellblock Tango"?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #139 on: January 23, 2009, 11:26:56 AM »

BrettySpaghetti

• Insert hilarious quip here
    • The Blog Ate My Gun
« Reply #140 on: January 23, 2009, 11:29:42 AM »

And THAT'S my new philosophy!    :D

Why are you telling me?!

DAW

« Reply #141 on: January 23, 2009, 11:29:52 AM »

OK, buster...

You've used up your quota for today!

;)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #142 on: January 23, 2009, 11:34:39 AM »

Good news Cilla.

Ron, feel good during the trial vibes!

Ginny

« Reply #143 on: January 23, 2009, 11:42:12 AM »

Friday morning greetings!  Today will be a day of puttering for me - I'm trying to shovel out the room where I've piled all the stuff I brought home from work.  Why have I kept all these papers?

TOD - DVD - Wall-E and Season 2, Disc 2 of Bones

Did you get my suggestion email? You never responded!

I did, dear DR Elmore, and apologize for not responding.  My email is as cluttered as my paper files!  Thanks for the suggestions!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DERBRUCER

« Reply #144 on: January 23, 2009, 11:53:27 AM »

I will look forward to hearing about it when it is over, DR Ron Pulliam.

I shall spill my guts as soon as I'm told I'm free to do so!   :D
::cue the Pulliam back-up choir::

Look at all my trials and tribulations
Sinking in a gentle pool of wine.
Don't disturb me now. I can see the verdict,
Till this evening is this morning, life is fine.

Always hoped that I'd be a juror.
Knew that I would make it if I tried.
Then when we retire, I can write HHW postings,
So they'll all talk about me when I've died.

der Brucer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #145 on: January 23, 2009, 12:00:47 PM »

"Lost"

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

Dldkj f a a ;lj;kj afdlkjfdlkj ;lkj af;lkj saflkj sing out, DAW! djkfjklfjkl ljk alk a;lkj ;lakjfd;lkjasdf;lkj a;sdfj ;lkjfdskj lfsdaklja;lsdfj ;lkjdsf  First off, I watched the pre-show that summarized the first four seasons and I thought it was most excellent and informative.  I especially loved the music that was tracked from the season 4 final episode.  Each season, composer Michael Giacchino has turned in superlative work on each episode...and each season's motifs seem to become more complex and driven.    The new season 5 opener was amazing, IMO.  I still have trouble imagining that the folks on the island have been time-shifting for three whole years, although they haven't made it clear yet whether it has been three years "on" the island.   Remember that the freighter's doctor was alive and well on the freighter shortly after his body washed up on the island, so something was amiss even before the island began shifting.   Hopefully, the resolution will be that those on the island never had to deal with the actual 3-years of time since the island could have shifted sufficiently in the future for them to have experienced only a few days since the freighter exploded while those who were rescued actually lived out a three-year period.    At this point, I'm not worried about making sense of everything since the show always "catches me up", so to speak, on new episodes and perspective is given in some way or other that clarifies past mysteries.  I, too, wondered as did Dan (the Man) who those folks were who fired fire arrows at the islanders and whether they were the same people, in the same time, as those who had British accents and held guns on some of them as they threatened to chop off Juliet's hand.  Vicious bunch, they....    Both Faraday and Charlotte had previously been on the island. I'm wondering how old Faraday "really" is, actually, since he was working there when Ben was a boy...and he looks much younger than Ben.  As for Charlotte, I have to wonder if they are going to kill her off or if Faraday will find a way to save her.  Overall, I thought the show was as incredibly intense, intelligent and mesmerizing as it has been at any time in its five years.  I'm always amazed at how they sustain everything about the show and that it continues to be stimulating and MUST-SEE! Xkkjdlkjfjk ;lkja;dlfkjlkjasdfk ljad;slfjk ;laksjf;lkjasd;lkj ;lkjas;lkja s;ldjk als;djg .

End SPOILAGE

BrettySpaghetti

• Insert hilarious quip here
    • The Blog Ate My Gun
« Reply #146 on: January 23, 2009, 12:03:43 PM »

I am still watching LOST, but I'm having more and more trouble following the plot, the logic having been abandoned long ago.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #147 on: January 23, 2009, 12:03:46 PM »

I need something to eat.

Time for lunch.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #148 on: January 23, 2009, 12:18:06 PM »

I now have a large cup of beef vegetable soup in front of me.

Where are all the posters?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #149 on: January 23, 2009, 12:19:18 PM »

I feel like I should comment on something else, but I've totally forgotten what it ought be.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Up